Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,059 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
August 19, 2023, 6:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,451
Gold Stars: 37
Same old same old, go one up, do we try and make it 2 or 3 in against an injury wrought side, no we sit back and invite pressure the Paul Hurst style for some reason this forum loves.

3 shots on target at home
40% possession
Taking your top goalscorer off and bringing on Green

Yep you can see why we've got a bit of reputation as a Yoyo relegation side when the fans are happy with that after another poor performance at home glossed over by what was an incredible strike by Eisa.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 6:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,244
Gold Stars: 235
Same old same old, go one up, do we try and make it 2 or 3 in against an injury wrought side, no we sit back and invite pressure the Paul Hurst style for some reason this forum loves.

40% possession

Yep you can see why we've got a bit of reputation as a Yoyo relegation side when the fans are happy with that after another poor performance at home glossed over by what was an incredible strike by Eisa.

Again zero perspective.

This was a Mansfield team that could have beaten us by six a couple of weeks ago.
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 6:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,129
Gold Stars: 548

40% possession

Or maybe Mansfield stopped us going 2 or 3 up because they were better than us once they got to grips with the game.

Some people seem to forget there is another team on the pitch, who also want to get forward and score goals.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 128
chaos33
August 19, 2023, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,930
Gold Stars: 360
Here’s a bit of perspective….
We’ve played 4 games. All four opponents are in the top 10. We’ve only lost 1 and even then, it was away, and by 1 goal. Salford, who won 4-3 away today, were made to look second best by us on Tuesday in a game we controlled. We are unbeaten at home. It is our second season back in the EFL. L2 gets harder every year and we are evolving. We know where we need to improve. There are many rivals with lots of money. There is a long, long way to go.

Just bear that in mind, all you miserable f•cking wise *rses going ‘mid table fodder at best’, and ‘we’ve wasted a million pounds’ and ‘the owners should get their head out the sand’ and other similar crocks of sh1t.

UTM

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 128
Azimuth
August 19, 2023, 6:41pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
This is not a good point, nor is it acceptable to think this is a good result at home, we were playing Mansfield Town not Man City.
Outplayed for 75 Mins at Blundell Park is simply not good enough.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 128
Maringer
August 19, 2023, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
A strange game as we, in general, looked pretty comfortable for most of the first half, despite their pressure. I'm not sure if it was the heat or the gameplan, but it was odd that we basically just stood off them and only tried to put a challenge in at the last. I was pleased to hear in Hurst's post-match interview that we weren't sitting so deep after the goal (which was am absolute belter) due to instructions from the dugout, but it really was odd the way that we didn't really attempt to keep possession most of the time. Rose did well to challenge and won a lot of headers, but we rarely had anybody there to pick uptthe flicks so it was just gifting possession back to them again and again.

The second half was a bit bizarre in the way that they basically shook us up by starting to play it over the top for their forwards to run on to - but we didn't adapt! Hurst alluded to this in his interview as well. We ought to be used to teams playing it over the top, but it really seemed to catch us out A shocking goal to concede, especially as it came soon after we'd got away with one. Eastwood otherwise did fine in the game so a real shame his hesitation cost us a goal. The introduction of Pyke improved things for us as there was at least somebody around Rose to help out and give them something to think about.

One positive is that I thought we looked marginally the fresher during the last ten minutes or so when they started to give the ball away loosely for the first time. Unless we can add a bit more craft to the graft, we'll need to be fitter that our opponents most of the time.

I thought Conteh was a bit out of sorts today, truth be told, so I was surprised to see him awarded MotM. I'd have given it to Holohan who did well in midfield winning possession and linking play, had a good effort in the first half and would have had another chance in the second half of he hadn't been shoved over by their defender when through on goal!

Have the laws of the game changed, incidentally? They were handing us off like a rugby player throughout the game. Shoulder to shoulder is obviously OK, but you surely aren't allowed to put your hand in the middle of your opponents chest to push him away as he tries to get past you? Their big players did this time and again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 128
Azimuth
August 19, 2023, 6:42pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from ginnywings

As long as it takes if we keep progressing.

Let's see where we are after half a season and a Jan window for tweaks.

Does anyone see real progress or even signs of progress, we are bang average at best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 128
mimma
August 19, 2023, 6:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Just a bit of perspective,  Wrexham have let in 10 goals in two home games. Listening to some on here you would think we have as well
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 128
jamesgtfc
August 19, 2023, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,959
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from It Bites

But we’ll never have the money again.

We will never have THAT money again, but there is no reason to suggest that we won't have some other football fortune roll in. For starters, last seasons cup money is stretched over the 2-3 year contracts we have been giving out. If Conteh continues to shine, he could fetch more than last seasons cup income.

We may have exited the League Cup early this season, but we could also do alright in the FA Cup again this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 6:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,129
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Azimuth

Does anyone see real progress or even signs of progress, we are bang average at best.

Yes, me.

Thanks for asking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 128
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.