Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just back  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,060 views. Print
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
moosey_club
August 19, 2023, 9:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

Well he doesn't does he? Can't stop them would be more correct.

Unless and until people realise that there are other teams on the pitch, who also want to attack and score goals and win games, then you are going to spend a lot of your time disappointed and ranting on forums.

It's easy this footy management lark. All you have to do is stop the opposition from being better than you are. It's so simple.

For balance Ginny....we managed to be better or at least match/contain them comfortably for 45 mins.....we didn't dominate or assert ourselves once we had scored and I think that's the massive frustration with most.
I genuinely said at half time..."what do you reckon, they equalise at 60 mins then we make a change "?..
They effected the game positively when they needed to...we didn't anticipate or react until we had conceded...then it looked more like a "stop them" approach rather than a go win it approach.
Yes they were slick, moved it well but we didn't react quick enough to what they did and only really had two serious efforts on goal in 90 mins.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 128
fishcake63
August 19, 2023, 9:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Look back at this post in may but we definatly took a point off team that will be promoted , get real 4 points in these last two games to big spenders is a good reward , i get we 2nd best today but we conceded one goal , mansfield will thrash teams this season mark my words
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 128
ginnywings
August 19, 2023, 9:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club

For balance Ginny....we managed to be better or at least match/contain them comfortably for 45 mins.....we didn't dominate or assert ourselves once we had scored and I think that's the massive frustration with most.
I genuinely said at half time..."what do you reckon, they equalise at 60 mins then we make a change "?..
They effected the game positively when they needed to...we didn't anticipate or react until we had conceded...then it looked more like a "stop them" approach rather than a go win it approach.
Yes they were slick, moved it well but we didn't react quick enough to what they did and only really had two serious efforts on goal in 90 mins.

I think back to my playing days, when we came up against a superior team, and try as you might to impose your will, you could end up chasing shadows, with the game passing you by and feeling like the opposition had more men than you on the pitch.

Physically and mentally draining, and when you finally did get the ball, there was no options and possession soon turned over.

I honestly didn't feel we matched/contained them for 45 mins myself. I thought they were better from the 15th minute and getting better as the game wore on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 128
moosey_club
August 19, 2023, 9:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

I think back to my playing days, when we came up against a superior team, and try as you might to impose your will, you could end up chasing shadows, with the game passing you by and feeling like the opposition had more men than you on the pitch.

Physically and mentally draining, and when you finally did get the ball, there was no options and possession soon turned over.

I honestly didn't feel we matched/contained them for 45 mins myself. I thought they were better from the 15th minute and getting better as the game wore on.

Tomato ...Tomaeto
if we had been battered or chasing the game before we scored I may agree...but we weren't...we were enforcing our style on the game....once we scored we stepped back...allowed them to grow into it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 128
Lincspoacher
August 19, 2023, 9:38pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +303
Gold Stars: 15
I am not going to repeat what has been said about todays match, but after midweeks win, I was equally sceptical due to the lack of passing, cohesion and pace in the side.

What I want to highlight again is the issue in the centre of midfield. Time after time again today, their centre mids came to the defence to receive the ball to feet under pressure and backed their technique to receive it and distribute it quickly.

Not only do we lack this ability with Clifton in there (he just legs it up front forcing long balls) but we also lack the movements we saw today from the opposition to ensure those receiving it have options.

Holohan has good ability but is also
not collecting and linking up play either.

Hunt started the season with the remit to provide this, but kept coming for the ball, collecting it and gave it away 2/3 times in dangerous places - hence his recent ommissions.

Until we can pass and keep the ball and progress thro the phases whilst retaining possession, we will continue to be a team that survives on scraps of possession and relies on worldy goals, mistakes or the occasional 3 or 4 pass break.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 128
LondonMariner43
August 19, 2023, 10:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,954
Gold Stars: 64
It’s clear from the PH interview that he sees this team as WIP and he is confident he can get more out of them.  Although we kept a lot of players from last season, most of the first team is new signings and on 2-3 year contracts.  It’s clear PH thinks he can get these players to be successful but it’s not going to happen in 4 games.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 128
Mariner93er
August 19, 2023, 10:05pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
I'd like to see Mullarkey in centre back in place of Waterfall with Efete coming into right back. Mullarkey is clearly a class act but it's noticeable that we struggle to create down the right side as he's not a pure right back and tends to default to cutting back inside. Plus, as others have said, Waterfall is below the quality we need now, and Mullarkey and Rodgers could be a very strong pairing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 128
grimps
August 19, 2023, 10:05pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Mansfield are pretty much where we might be in two years. They have an established team and style of play. We are very much at the start of being a work in progress.

As a consequence, today’s is a great point. We need a few more additions and whoever says Rose is a downgrade on Lloyd is simply wrong.

Several 7 out of 10s today but Conteh again MoM.

Can anyone be arsed to buy a season ticket just in case we become half decent in a couple of years ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 128
MuddyWaters
August 19, 2023, 10:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from grimps

Can anyone be arsed to buy a season ticket just in case we become half decent in a couple of years ?

Christ on a bike. If everyone waited for us to be successful, the club would be dead by now. I can’t profess to being a permanent ST holder, but I reckon I’ve done at least 20 in the 55 years I’ve been going - most of them since 2000 - hardly the glory years.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 128
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 19, 2023, 10:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,691
Gold Stars: 79
A lot of posts but not much critique tonight as the different factions vent their spleen.

Hard to disagree with anyone as I think all in attendance acknowledge that Mansfield were the better team but surprisingly for all their possession and passing ability they caused us most problems by a big boot over the top proving it is a funny old game and that there are many ways of playing it.

Did we deserve a point? Don’t really care we got one and I feel in building up Mansfield some have overlooked in the first half that in addition to the goal, Holohan had a superb shot well saved, Clifton only had to deflect a hard hit shot on target to score and another one of our players also could have turned in a knock down header just before half time, so we did have opportunities. Second half pretty much nothing and a couple of concerns for me are that we still lack any real pace in getting forward with neither of the wide players particularly quick. Rose is, IMO, being asked to do too much and consequently he tires and drifts out the game second half. I also wish he would stay on his feet a little more often and just hold the ball. Yes he takes a lot of knocks but sometimes we lose decent possession as he prefers to go down rather than hold the ball and lay it off.

I have seen all the league games to date and I am still puzzled as to what role Clifton is supposed to be undertaking but thought today he looked well out side of his comfort zone and spent his afternoon chasing shadows. Not sure what Khouri needs to do to get some minutes but feel his introduction on the left side of midfield second half would have allowed us to compete better in the centre of the field.

Like others disappointed with our second half and whilst Conteh struggled a little second half, thought he was fighting the battle of his own at times, I feel he Rodgers and Eastwood are all excellent signings and give us a real spine.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 128
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.