Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,997 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
August 12, 2023, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,448
Gold Stars: 37
Well that was excrement. Can I get refund on my Walsall ticket?

Same old same old, under Hurst isn't it. Play high pressing free flowing attack football in a nice 433 that turned into a 442 when we were defending. We looked really good and Hurst had actually nearly convinced me maybe we were in for a good season.

No back to the usual slow, deep defensive football and no plan B insight except for like for like subs and a slight rejigger of who plays in what spot.

3 poor goals to concede which we should have done better. Communication mix up for the 1st, 2nd the shot never should have come in for the lucky deflection and we left 2 men unmarked at the back post for the 3rd.

Same as last season coming folks a long hard season and I don't see  an FA Cup miricle coming either to warm the cockles either.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
davmariner
August 12, 2023, 5:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,931
Gold Stars: 79
Need to go back to 3-5-2 which worked well in the second half of the season. Wide players aren’t doing enough to warrant changing the system to suit 4 at the back with wingers.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 95
mariner91
August 12, 2023, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,651
Gold Stars: 261
Who’s going to play as wing back on the left when our left sided defenders aren’t even trusted to be full backs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 95
headingly_mariner
August 12, 2023, 5:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
I thought we played well and came out on the wrong side of a game that could've gone either way.

Two good sides, different but both good sides at this level.

That deflected goal really changed the game.

Thought Conteh and Rose were excellent. Not sure I believe the hype about Mullarkey. Great assist but got absolutley roasted by Jones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 5:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Not entirely sure what to make of it all.
We started well, scored a very clever goal but just didn't build on it. We
surrendered the midfield allowing County go get the ball out wide to two very good wingers with the result that an equaliser was a near certainty.
Against the run of play we got our noses back in front and you'd think they'd learn...but they didn't.
The second equaliser had a massive slice of fortune about it but getting the ball into the box at this level can cause all sorts of mayhem.
The winner came because they had someone prepared to gamble on a cross-something we just don't have.
The last twenty minutes was frustration personified. Our approach play was laboured-far too slow which let a poor County defence off the hook.
Positives? Rose looks like a good acquisition. Conteh played well and Rodgers again delivered with Waterfall. Couple of excellent saves from Eastwood.
Negatives- not convinced we had a plan. Eisa (Sp) was an absolute passenger and very sadly Glennon needs to be taken out of the firing line. For the third match in a row the opposition targeted our left side.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 95
Madeleymariner
August 12, 2023, 5:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,052
Gold Stars: 49
On train. too negative till losing sat back till they scored. when we closed them down and they had to hoof it they hardly did anything. When we sat off they just pinged it about in midfield till one winger was free and away they went. They had at least 5 players quicker than any of ours and both wingers had ability to beat there man then cross usually into the danger areas. We are way behind Notts looking at that display today
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 6:06pm
Mariners Trust
Merge please admin.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 95
Mariner93er
August 12, 2023, 6:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
Said this in midweek but teams clocked on to Glennon midway through last season and have been targeting our left back area ever since. I'll be disappointed if there isn't a new left back in by the end of the window. Looked like he went off injured rather than was pulled, but it was a mercy for us all.

Overall, a hard game to access as Notts are clearly the Bielsa Leeds of league 2. Fair play, it's one of those games were I was envious that they get to watch football like that every week. Which pains me to say as I'm a Hurst fan, but I don't think we've ever really had a DNA under him other than being industrious and hard working. It's becoming quite grating if I'm being honest, I'd just really like to be entertained every now and again.

If you take out all of their possession, there probably wasn't too much difference between the chances both sides created - at least that's what my Newcastle mate who went with me told me, so I'll cling to that. But it felt like our only plan was to wait until Notts copulated up or parted, which they duly did on numerous occasions.

I can't judge whether it's actually a respectable result or not, as I have a lingering feeling Notts will shop a hell of a lot of goals and struggle to challenge this season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 95
Chrisblor
August 12, 2023, 6:17pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,826
Gold Stars: 235
I'm going to blow my lid if I ever have to watch Efete at left back again. He's the most comically right footed player I've seen in my entire life and simply cannot play on the left. I know Glennon's really struggling for form right now but ffs we've got Amos in the squad who isn't exactly a world beater but can do a job and doesn't constantly mess up attacking moves by slowing down cutting in because he doesn't have a left foot

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 95
Hagrid
August 12, 2023, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,407
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Chrisblor
I'm going to blow my lid if I ever have to watch Efete at left back again. He's the most comically right footed player I've seen in my entire life and simply cannot play on the left. I know Glennon's really struggling for form right now but ffs we've got Amos in the squad who isn't exactly a world beater but can do a job and doesn't constantly mess up attacking moves by slowing down cutting in because he doesn't have a left foot

Thats harsh. I thought he did allright considering he is not a left back, and was better than Glennon who needs taking out the 11. Amos in on Tuesday.

Vernam has shown nothing and a 3 year deal is looking terrible buisness.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 95
pontoonlew
August 12, 2023, 6:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,034
Gold Stars: 176
The disappointment for me is the fact we looked to have signed good players and I still believe we have, yet everything feels very much the same. I watched today and last Saturday multiple times last season & it’s all a bit predictable.

The squad still needs time, but that was the reason we signed them all early, to have them ready for the season. It’s more disappointing than it is concerning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 95
FishySmithy
August 12, 2023, 6:28pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +36
Gold Stars: 3
Said for some time and not just after todays results that we need another CM - Clifton is shocking when not the fittest player on the pitch and on the ball (IMO gets and easy time as he is one of our own), Gav Past it, Green not good enough.  Need another CB cover Waterfall is past it. And cover at RB/LB. But hey ho I’ll take being proven wrong and 6 Points in the next two games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 95
sonofmadeleymariner
August 12, 2023, 6:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Hagrid

Thats harsh. I thought he did allright considering he is not a left back, and was better than Glennon who needs taking out the 11.

Same Hagrid, I thought he really put a shift in and wipped a couple good crosses in

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 95
TAGG
August 12, 2023, 6:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,971
Gold Stars: 124
Quoted from FishySmithy
Said for some time and not just after todays results that we need another CM - Clifton is shocking when not the fittest player on the pitch and on the ball (IMO gets and easy time as he is one of our own), Gav Past it, Green not good enough.  Need another CB cover Waterfall is past it. And cover at RB/LB. But hey ho I’ll take being proven wrong and 6 Points in the next two games.

Oh dear

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 95
headingly_mariner
August 12, 2023, 6:35pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Quoted from FishySmithy

Fuckinghell. Have you had a bang to the head?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 95
MaccasBoots
August 12, 2023, 6:36pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +683
Gold Stars: 23
Efete was far better than Glennon when he came on, but as usual the boo boys give him pelters
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 95
Yoda
August 12, 2023, 6:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
Etefe is one of our better players
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 6:40pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from FishySmithy

Go on I'll bite. What was it about Waterfall's performance today that suggested he was past it?

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 95
chipsandgravy
August 12, 2023, 6:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,611
Cant really add to much to what has already been said. I hate this ruddy system. We have isolated a decent goalscorer in Rose and Eisa being asked to play the MacAtee role clearly doesnt work - therefore cant work out if he decent or the cr@p Bradford version. Vernham has been pretty much a spectator in all the games so far and Glennon has had a bad week - those defensive frailities we feared were there - are there...plus I want our Harry of last season back.
Probably get a few red crosses on here but I havent understood the Mularkey fanfare. Not saying he is not a decent player but hardly catches the eye in the same way Rodgers does. Personally thought Efete did ok at left back.
All in all its a bit of a curates egg for me and would gladly see the back of this current system.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 95
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
August 12, 2023, 6:48pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
Not the worse defeat in the world but it showed that nothing has really changed under PH this season, I’m afraid it’s over for Glennon( nice lad he is) as he just gets targeted all the time. Rose looks decent but is isolated just like Taylor was last year, Rodgers and malarky look decent. Conteh looked a class apart and will be gone in January. The new keeper looks an improvement on Crocombe even though he conceded 3. I used to get mad after losses but now I know that results are irrelevant and sustainability is the key. In hurst we trust….

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 95
Maringer
August 12, 2023, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
I didn't go to the game, but it's notable that Hunt hasn't had a single mention in this thread yet. If he's not getting the possession to link the midfield and forwards, he's not doing anything.

I assume we were trying to play some sort of a 4-2-3-1, as against Wimbledon, but it didn't work then and it doesn't sound like it worked today, either. If we were actually getting men forward in support of Rose, it would be a different matter but I'm presuming they just collapsed back when we were under pressure and he was left isolated.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
Limerick Mariner
August 12, 2023, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
PH a bit rose tinted on RH after For the second time in a week we’ve not looked after the ball at all well and failed to put a concerted period of pressure on the opposition. Granted a lot of Notts possession was tip tapping about but we never got at their full backs or got quality delivery into the box. Notts will I expect be comfortably top half but as commented above they looked suspect at the back.

Neither Eisa nor Vernam have got in either game this week. As our two signings that should be opening up the opposition that is worrying. Playing both of them looks a luxury and neither worked hard enough for press game that has overcome Notts pretty passing in the past.

Two good finishes from Rose and Harry and really impressed with my first viewing of Conteh.

Overall the squad suddenly looks a lot more limited.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
denni266
August 12, 2023, 6:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +700
Gold Stars: 132
One common denoinator here  and that is Hurst
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
It Bites
August 12, 2023, 7:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,164
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from denni266
One common denoinator here  and that is Hurst

I’ll be honest I’ve watched more town games in the last year than in the previous 5 and all I’ve gained is knowing it’s gonna be dull and predictable. Hurst has run his race and we need freshening up a bit . I watched the coaches against Wimbledon..   do I want Steve Croudson shouting our orders to the out field players ? No not really.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
lukeo
August 12, 2023, 7:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Only caught glimpses of it as I had it on a tablet whilst at our wedding reception  
Looked a very messy game but we seemed to attack a fair bit.
I'm not a big fan of this 4231 but I trust Hurst and the players to get it right. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Time for wingbacks when Maher is back for me. Glennon will be a better wing back than full back in a four. I like the middle three but they're naive at times and could do with a experienced head in there. The current front three just is not working at all. Other than Eisa hitting the post against Wimbledon, the wide pair have both contributed very little. I'd drop them for Pyke and Maher when he's back and do that switch to 532/352.

The performance today was a shocker. I was very happy to be going in level before we somehow went in leading. Looked like a lovely assist from Mullarkey, will have to watch that back. Everything was flat in the second half though, it was like we came down with dropped heads and it felt like a Notts win was inevitable even before the equaliser. Reflected in the atmosphere too, was great at the start but dwindled as the match went on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
Northbank Mariner
August 12, 2023, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,445
Gold Stars: 171
3 games in and we are seeing all the same issues we saw last season, we just do not get quality balls into the box nor enough bodies...
I just can't get it out of my head, is our issue that every coach we have are ex defenders and just cannot think positively abd resort to type and it becomes about trying not to lose rather than trying to win?..
I honestly think we have decent players in the building but for some reason they just aren't performing, the likes of Eisa, Vernam, Clifton, Glennon, are all players that could, and some have, play at a higher level yet with us look like NLN players...
Really hoped for a more entertaining brand of football this season but right now, I'm doubting that and have lowered my expectations to a more turgid approach from Hurst again....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 95
Limerick Mariner
August 12, 2023, 7:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Interesting how Notts played McGoldrick deeper than I expected - in the way we best used McAtee. His quality first touch and ability to switch the play wide in either direction kept their attack moving whereas our stuttered and ended with loss of possession.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
Spurn boy
August 12, 2023, 7:29pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,239
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from pontoonlew
The disappointment for me is the fact we looked to have signed good players and I still believe we have, yet everything feels very much the same. I watched today and last Saturday multiple times last season & it’s all a bit predictable.

The squad still needs time, but that was the reason we signed them all early, to have them ready for the season. It’s more disappointing than it is concerning.

Exactly what I thought today, if this was last season’s team I could accept today’s performance but today’s side should have closed down Notts much better than they did.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 95
toontown
August 12, 2023, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

Thats harsh. I thought he did allright considering he is not a left back, and was better than Glennon who needs taking out the 11. Amos in on Tuesday.

I'm a big efete critic but to be honest I thought he looked decent considering he was being played on his wrong side.

I do think it looks like Hurst doesn't trust Amos given that efete was brought on instead of him Tuesday- with glennon performing so badly defensively at FB that leaves us exposed. Esp as one of efete and mularkey are effectively our 4th choice CB too and we are playing them both and maher is injured. Looks like Hurst took his eye off the ball last season in allowing Amos to reach enough appearances to trigger an extension. Should have thought more strategically and been playing efete then if needed - would have allowed us to get a more solid defensively left back in. We are also moving our 3 behind the striker around - clifton was switched to tge left today and Vernham to the right, presumably to try and protect glennon more.

Yeah Vernham anonymous in preseason and games so far, literally could have been oneill from last year for all his impact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
sydney
August 12, 2023, 7:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
I know only 3 games
But feeling a bit underwhelmed
Performances similar to last season
No win in 3
And bogey team Tuesday
Let’s see
Come on Town!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 95
sonofmadeleymariner
August 12, 2023, 7:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew

You can buy a Ferrari, but if the driver is a 90 year old man who can't see over the bonnet he's going to drive it like a micra

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 95
lowerfindus
August 12, 2023, 7:52pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
It's Charles Vernam. Not Vernham. VERNAM.  

It's not as if he hasn't been here before FFS.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 95
Chalky
August 12, 2023, 7:53pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
I enjoyed the game and not just because of the result,a great atmosphere from both sets of fans and the score could easily have gone Grimsbys way on another day,two games into the season and it’s far to early for team criticism as there will be lots of twists and turns along the way,I was very nervous during the game especially after Towns second goal
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 95
HerveJosse
August 12, 2023, 8:02pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

You can buy a Ferrari, but if the driver is a 90 year old man who can't see over the bonnet he's going to drive it like a micra

Or you can buy a Corsa and drive it like a Micra
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 95
RobinHoodMariner
August 12, 2023, 8:02pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +121
Gold Stars: 1
Just about go leave the Trent Bridge Inn after a few hours reflection. Speaking with Notts fans, would certainly have been happy with a draw after that so not all doom & gloom.  Picked out the lack of firepower, not particularly going for it against a poor defence, Conteh and superb support again. Onwards and upwards!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 95
1mickylyons
August 12, 2023, 8:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
The highlight of the day was pre match in the navigation Inn half Forest shirts half County and 4 of us from Grimsby we need a pub like that near our ground it was superb.What a set up 10/10 just a shame the result ruined the day out but hey ho we go again Tuesday. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 95
Mappers
August 12, 2023, 8:14pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,318
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from It Bites

I’ll be honest I’ve watched more town games in the last year than in the previous 5 and all I’ve gained is knowing it’s gonna be dull and predictable. Hurst has run his race and we need freshening up a bit . I watched the coaches against Wimbledon..   do I want Steve Croudson shouting our orders to the out field players ? No not really.

That's harsh mate tbh he has brought us a lot of success - not always easy on the eye but over 46 games in league 2 he will do .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 95
It Bites
August 12, 2023, 8:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers

That's harsh mate tbh he has brought us a lot of success - not always easy on the eye but over 46 games in league 2 he will do .

I’m mardy mate lol
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from lowerfindus
It's Charles Vernam. Not Vernham. VERNAM.  

It's not as if he hasn't been here before FFS.

I think you'll find it's Vernams.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 95
ginnywings
August 12, 2023, 8:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,132
Gold Stars: 548
Every time the calls go out for the head of PH, he somehow turns it around. We can't really complain too much about the last two seasons with the progress we have made.

There is no doubt in my mind that we now have better players than we did and we will be fine when the league settles down.

There's also no doubt that the league is stronger than it's ever been.

Give it a dozen games before you start losing your sh1t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
moosey_club
August 12, 2023, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,252
Gold Stars: 226
OK...right...
Notts County had several players who were simply just better than ours...their no.7 was very classy I think they got him from Arsenal ? Both their wingers were quick , tricky and could deliver a cross. They had us for pace and strength in just about every position so was never going to be a simple task....however....this formation is crippling us, no width attacking wise, no width defensively and Rose isolated.
It also didn't help that we just couldn't pass at all today, misplaced,  mistimed or just stupid passes wasting potential opportunities.
Gifted a goal, scored a very nice worked goal but outside of that nothing particularly clear cut.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
Chalky
August 12, 2023, 8:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from moosey_club
OK...right...
Notts County had several players who were simply just better than ours...their no.7 was very classy I think they got him from Arsenal ?

That was Daniel Crowley who we signed in June  when he was released  by Morecambe at the end of last season,he was MOM for me and gave his all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
Hagrid
August 12, 2023, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Just home.

Fortunate to go in ahead imo, Eastwood made some really good saves but we penalised some slack notts defending and they were weak at the back

The right winger nemane tore glennon apart and wasnt surprised to see him withdrawn for Efete who i thought did well despite others around me not agreeing.

Our front 4? Rose apart, were quiet and didnt create

2nd half was all notts bar the last 10 when we had to go for it. Lucky 2nd goal but after that you knew what was coming.

I’ve said prior i do not see what Vernam is bringing to the side, he’s been very dissapointing. Eisa didnt do a lot, Hunt doesnt seem to do a lot and was anonymous today, subs didnt really improve us.

Beaten by the better side, no complaints on that, but their defence was there to be attacked and we just didnt have any killer instinct to do it.

I rarely disagree with Hurst but best team won today and Im not sure how he can say otherwise
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 12, 2023, 8:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,691
Quoted from ginnywings
Every time the calls go out for the head of PH, he somehow turns it around. We can't really complain too much about the last two seasons with the progress we have made.

There is no doubt in my mind that we now have better players than we did and we will be fine when the league settles down.

There's also no doubt that the league is stronger than it's ever been.

Give it a dozen games before you start losing your sh1t.

Certainly not advocating Hurst out but as other posters have said our personnel may change but formation and tactics do not and there has been nothing to suggest that Eisa or Vernam will improve out creation of chances or the number of goals we score. As for improvement in player quality I would concur on Eastwood, Rodgers and Conteh who all have performed admirably to date with Conteh exceptional and the midfield dynamo we have needed for years.

I acknowledge I have never been Clifton’s biggest fan but have accepted he has done a decent job for the team but so far this season I think he has been poor and never looks comfortable in possession of the ball and his passing today was woeful. Hunt still hit and miss and you soon have a problem in midfield where an ageing Bostock ran the show until his injury.

Hoped the introduction of Pyke would give us a bit more aggression and threat up front but to me he looked half arsed like it was all too much effort.

So better technically maybe but are we are a better team as a result? Certainly not yet but it’s two games so plenty of time to address our current failings. Also thought we were going with a higher press approach but no it’s still if we lose the ball get all ten men back in our half to defend approach.

Early days but a lot of optimism has already disappeared but Rome wasn’t built in a day so maybe Tuesday will be the performance we all hoped for at the start of the season.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
LH
August 12, 2023, 9:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,519
Gold Stars: 173
A disappointing day. Not sure many can be proud of their day’s work bar maybe Conteh who is a very good addition.

Vernam gives you a 7/10 performance one game in five and that isn’t good enough for a starter in a team with serious promotion ambitions. He was easily the most underwhelming signing of the window and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind up to now.

I’d guess we’re still looking for a left back and you’d hope probably a wide forward or two too.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 9:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chalky

That was Daniel Crowley who we signed in June  when he was released  by Morecambe at the end of last season,he was MOM for me and gave his all

Bit of an unsung hero today and one I've not really paid much attention to when I've seen you the last couple of seasons but your boy Palmer was quality in the middle all afternoon. Creating space for everyone time and time again, not giving the ball away, winning tackles. Kept you ticking all match. He was MOTM for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
So...in terms of positives today...Eastwood made some decent saves, Rose took his only real chance, as did Clifton, Rodgers and Conteh continue to look very good, the rain on the way out of the ground didn't last very long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
paulgtfc
August 12, 2023, 9:20pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Notts C were there for the taking and all 5 goals were bad ones to concede.  With all the space afforded to Michee 2H, would have been interesting to see how Chas would’ve got on down that side instead of Harry.  At 3-2 County seemed to know we didn’t have the guile to get a 3rd and not even a grandstand finish.

As others said, Chas n Hunt did little and Eisa was anonymous in the hole. If only McAtee was there..

Funniest moment was seeing McGoldrick go inside two of our players like they didn’t exist and then shank an aimless cross field pass straight out of play

Top effort by Conteh to walk the length of the touch line afterwards to acknowledge our support. Seems a top man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 9:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from paulgtfc

Top effort by Conteh to walk the length of the touch line afterwards to acknowledge our support. Seems a top man.

Yep that was a nice touch. Rodgers was pretty much straight down the tunnel by contrast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
mariner91
August 12, 2023, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Finally home and got the little one down so I can reflect a bit more.

Eastwood - made some great saves. Didn't really do much wrong. The second goal was a fluke and no chance with the first and third really.
Mullarkey - first time I've seen him. Don't quite get why some have raved about him so much. Good assist and didn't do too bad but found it difficult against Jones.
Waterfall - didn't do anything wrong really, does what he does and you know what you'll get
Rodgers - a rare bright spot from today. He oozes class.
Glennon - Left back is a real problem area. Glennon isn't quick enough and isn't good enough defending one on one. Has a reasonably good delivery but as others have alluded to, teams are targeting him and getting a lot of joy down that side. The fact that he's been subbed before the second half two games in a row and the fact Efete was preferred to  Amos both times says a lot. Would be amazed if we don't have another left back by next Saturday.
Conteh - still a little raw and has some learning to do but has the potential to be one of the best midfielders we've had in years.
Hunt - I'm probably going to say something controversial here but I don't really see the fuss about Hunt? I'm starting to think he's a luxury player. We know given time and space he can pick a pass and he showed this in the NL where frankly most teams gave us a lot of time and space and the opposition were generally a bit shite. In the FL, he's neither dictating play from deep nor is he getting the ball further forward. He's also not quick enough on the ball or good enough at protecting it when games are tight. I would personally like to see a more experienced CM be signed and said this earlier in the transfer window but I doubt it will happen.
Vernam - didn't do anything. I mean literally almost nothing, particularly in the second half. Was a bit underwhelmed when he signed and couldn't get the fuss some were making about it but if he's, as it appears, one of the players we're going to be relying on then that's seriously worrying.
Clifton - Does a lot of work, scored a good goal but is always going to be limited on the ball. I can understand some people's frustration with him but he's always going to start, it's just working out where he's most effective with the players around him.
Eisa - not quite as ineffective as Vernam but struggled in the hole behind Rose. Didn't find any pockets of space and didn't create anything all game. He's also much slower than I was expecting? A lot of his running looked very laboured.
Rose - I really like Rose. Took his goal well and is a handful to defend against. Needs either a partner around him or the right blend of players supporting him and for them to actually get close to him.

Overall I think we've got better players than last season. We've also got Gnahoua and Pyke to become fully fit and Khan and Wilson to come back. However, the system today just didn't work. Notts were very good on the ball and had a clear system going forward which helped them find lots of pockets of space and create situations where they got in behind us. They also had a much better final ball and more athleticism generally. I don't know what it is about Hurst teams but we always seem to be lacking real pace and power!? On the other hand, Notts were very suspect defensively yet in the main we relied on them messing up rather than creating anything ourselves.

There's no obvious plan or even shape when attacking. Rose is isolated and once we got in to the middle third, the movement from the forward players was mostly non existent. 4-2-3-1 can work really well with the right players, as seen by McAtee and Taylor two season ago, but we don't have anyone getting between the lines and our passing is too slow to break between the lines quickly. We've also never replaced Sousa as someone who can run at the opposition, drag the rest of the team up the pitch and create space by drawing defenders to him. Vernam and Eisa showed none of this today and Clifton just isn't good enough on the ball to do it properly for all his other positive attributes.

I know it's early days but we need another striker, preferably a physical one who can hold the ball up well. We desperately need a left back. And if we were serious about going up then I'd want another central midfielder and maybe another winger too, someone with pace who will actually be willing to run at the opposition. At the very least we need a rethink on the system cause it does not suit the players we have at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
mariner91
August 12, 2023, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chalky

He was excellent. Much better on the ball than our midfielders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 10:50pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from mariner91
Finally home and got the little one down so I can reflect a bit more.

Eastwood - made some great saves. Didn't really do much wrong. The second goal was a fluke and no chance with the first and third really.
Mullarkey - first time I've seen him. Don't quite get why some have raved about him so much. Good assist and didn't do too bad but found it difficult against Jones.
Waterfall - didn't do anything wrong really, does what he does and you know what you'll get
Rodgers - a rare bright spot from today. He oozes class.
Glennon - Left back is a real problem area. Glennon isn't quick enough and isn't good enough defending one on one. Has a reasonably good delivery but as others have alluded to, teams are targeting him and getting a lot of joy down that side. The fact that he's been subbed before the second half two games in a row and the fact Efete was preferred to  Amos both times says a lot. Would be amazed if we don't have another left back by next Saturday.
Conteh - still a little raw and has some learning to do but has the potential to be one of the best midfielders we've had in years.
Hunt - I'm probably going to say something controversial here but I don't really see the fuss about Hunt? I'm starting to think he's a luxury player. We know given time and space he can pick a pass and he showed this in the NL where frankly most teams gave us a lot of time and space and the opposition were generally a bit shite. In the FL, he's neither dictating play from deep nor is he getting the ball further forward. He's also not quick enough on the ball or good enough at protecting it when games are tight. I would personally like to see a more experienced CM be signed and said this earlier in the transfer window but I doubt it will happen.
Vernam - didn't do anything. I mean literally almost nothing, particularly in the second half. Was a bit underwhelmed when he signed and couldn't get the fuss some were making about it but if he's, as it appears, one of the players we're going to be relying on then that's seriously worrying.
Clifton - Does a lot of work, scored a good goal but is always going to be limited on the ball. I can understand some people's frustration with him but he's always going to start, it's just working out where he's most effective with the players around him.
Eisa - not quite as ineffective as Vernam but struggled in the hole behind Rose. Didn't find any pockets of space and didn't create anything all game. He's also much slower than I was expecting? A lot of his running looked very laboured.
Rose - I really like Rose. Took his goal well and is a handful to defend against. Needs either a partner around him or the right blend of players supporting him and for them to actually get close to him.

Overall I think we've got better players than last season. We've also got Gnahoua and Pyke to become fully fit and Khan and Wilson to come back. However, the system today just didn't work. Notts were very good on the ball and had a clear system going forward which helped them find lots of pockets of space and create situations where they got in behind us. They also had a much better final ball and more athleticism generally. I don't know what it is about Hurst teams but we always seem to be lacking real pace and power!? On the other hand, Notts were very suspect defensively yet in the main we relied on them messing up rather than creating anything ourselves.

There's no obvious plan or even shape when attacking. Rose is isolated and once we got in to the middle third, the movement from the forward players was mostly non existent. 4-2-3-1 can work really well with the right players, as seen by McAtee and Taylor two season ago, but we don't have anyone getting between the lines and our passing is too slow to break between the lines quickly. We've also never replaced Sousa as someone who can run at the opposition, drag the rest of the team up the pitch and create space by drawing defenders to him. Vernam and Eisa showed none of this today and Clifton just isn't good enough on the ball to do it properly for all his other positive attributes.

I know it's early days but we need another striker, preferably a physical one who can hold the ball up well. We desperately need a left back. And if we were serious about going up then I'd want another central midfielder and maybe another winger too, someone with pace who will actually be willing to run at the opposition. At the very least we need a rethink on the system cause it does not suit the players we have at the minute.

Excellent description.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
grimps
August 12, 2023, 11:36pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,130
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from RobinHoodMariner
Just about go leave the Trent Bridge Inn after a few hours reflection. Speaking with Notts fans, would certainly have been happy with a draw after that so not all doom & gloom.  Picked out the lack of firepower, not particularly going for it against a poor defence, Conteh and superb support again. Onwards and upwards!

Yeah but we’ve not had any firepower for 3 seasons have we ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
Mayaman
August 13, 2023, 2:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Hagrid

Likewise.  He put a lot of effort in  and put in a couple of decent crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
sam gy
August 13, 2023, 9:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Saw a few saying we only scored because they gifted us two goals? Fact is, we let them urine about with it at the back, pressed em and they didn’t like it. Think we’re due credit in that regards…we were forcing them into mistakes.

Their wide players looked great, along with no 7 and Bostock. Their two dangerous strikers looked quiet all game and I thought Rodgers and Waterfall both looked assured.

For me, Hunt was a little disappointing and Eisa and Vernam were not In the game at all.

Rose was great and it’s good he’s now off the mark.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
DB
August 13, 2023, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,018
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Hagrid
Just home.

Fortunate to go in ahead imo, Eastwood made some really good saves but we penalised some slack notts defending and they were weak at the back

The right winger nemane tore glennon apart and wasnt surprised to see him withdrawn for Efete who i thought did well despite others around me not agreeing.

Our front 4? Rose apart, were quiet and didnt create

2nd half was all notts bar the last 10 when we had to go for it. Lucky 2nd goal but after that you knew what was coming.

I’ve said prior i do not see what Vernam is bringing to the side, he’s been very dissapointing. Eisa didnt do a lot, Hunt doesnt seem to do a lot and was anonymous today, subs didnt really improve us.

Beaten by the better side, no complaints on that, but their defence was there to be attacked and we just didnt have any killer instinct to do it.

I rarely disagree with Hurst but best team won today and Im not sure how he can say otherwise

I agree with you, but last week Eastwood saved a pen and we failed to build on it. Other teams build on that sort of thing which motivates them, why not us?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
diehardmariner
August 13, 2023, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,614
Gold Stars: 538
Biggest frustration for me is how we've reverted to type.

Lincoln in pre-season we looked absolutely electric with a four of Vernam, Clifton, Hunt and Eisa behind Rose. High press, loads of interchanging and loads of movement in and around the frontman. Conteh doing Conteh stuff in front of a back four with fullbacks having the freedom to push up.

Soon as the season starts Hunt is dragged back as part of a sitting two with Conteh, Eisa playing the invisible man in the No. 10 role and Clifton's moved out of the middle.  Rose, as he was yesterday, looks very isolated.

I get it you can't go gung-ho every game, but intercourse me I'd just love to let teams worry about us for a change. County were alright and they had a couple of players who looked very good on the ball. But they weren't THAT good. They were poor at the back and we failed to take advantage of that enough.

Conteh is good enough to do what he does on his own. He doesn't need Hunt there. I think Hunt's got the ability to unlock teams, but he's also quite wasteful. That's the risk you take at this level with someone who looks to open things up. Let him take those risks 30 yards from their goal rather than our own.

Verman and Eisa haven't started the season well but they're both clearly capable. They're proven to be effective at this level. But you've got to give them space to run into, this very narrow 3 doesn't suit them at all.

intercourse knows what's gone on with Glennon. Can't remember a player getting hooked that early in two consecutive games. Says even more that Amos is twiddling his thumbs.

Rose looked absolutely shot to pieces last 30 minutes. In fact they all did. County brought extra energy with their subs. We simply didn't.

Big reaction needed on Tuesday. I'm with pontoonlew of feeling more frustrated than worried, but it's definitely disappointing so far!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
devs
August 13, 2023, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from mariner91

He was excellent. Much better on the ball than our midfielders.

This
Best player on the pitch by a country mile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
moosey_club
August 13, 2023, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chalky

Just checked his history, Villa, Arsenal and top flight Holland..with a spell at Willem ll who some olderTown fans will recognise the name of...... .impressive. Really caught the eye yesterday, always wanting the ball, comfortable under pressure and rarely gave it away.  Released by Morecombe...on that performance a superb acquisition.

2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
Mappers
August 13, 2023, 5:10pm
Champagne Drinker
I enjoyed the day , a shame we lost .

Do some Town fans think we are going to turn up and dismantle all of these well financed and drilled sides ?

These first 10 games or so are not going to be easy , we need a scruffy win to get some more points on the board and contain the nerves of some on and off the pitch .

Eastwood has pleasantly suprised me , seems like the 'Hurst effect ' has taken effect on yet another player .

Waterfall was superb the first half , he won every single ball in the air , and I thought Mularkey did well again .

Unfortunately (I saw the warning signs  last season from the lower on numerous occasions ) Glennon is borderline becoming a liability and opposition know it - he needs some time out - Mansfield and Salford are more teams with quick and skillful wide players so i don't think he can be risked both for his own confidence and the team .

Vernam seems to have turned into Hursts dream winger - tracks back all day but offers basic forward input , he seems a completely different player to the previous version .

Clifton did well I thought , alongside Eisa who is putting in a real shift off the ball to make it a 5 man midfield when we have not got the ball , and provides a good outlet when we have it .

Conteh is such a thinking footballer , Alex Hunt just needs to watch footage of Conteh to see what he needs to do - Conteh makes the right decision most of the time , Hunt does not and with his obvious technical capabilities it's at least to me becoming an  increasingly frustrating watch - him making the same mistakes time and time again .

Danny Rose is a good forward player , my only concern is he's flogged for 46 games and ends the season in a bad way ; he does not seem to move particularly well anyway .

Anyway all in all yesterday was not the disaster some seem to make it , it's a long season .

I do wish fans of all teams  would stop singing that cringe song though , grates on me that one .

I do wonder sometimes if a minority of fans still hold a grudge over that ear cupping gesture , as it seems some still want to take him down at every opportunity .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 95
It Bites
August 13, 2023, 5:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
I enjoyed the day , a shame we lost .

Do some Town fans think we are going to turn up and dismantle all of these well financed and drilled sides ?

These first 10 games or so are not going to be easy , we need a scruffy win to get some more points on the board and contain the nerves of some on and off the pitch .

Eastwood has pleasantly suprised me , seems like the 'Hurst effect ' has taken effect on yet another player .

Waterfall was superb the first half , he won every single ball in the air , and I thought Mularkey did well again .

Unfortunately (I saw the warning signs  last season from the lower on numerous occasions ) Glennon is borderline becoming a liability and opposition know it - he needs some time out - Mansfield and Salford are more teams with quick and skillful wide players so i don't think he can be risked both for his own confidence and the team .

Vernam seems to have turned into Hursts dream winger - tracks back all day but offers basic forward input , he seems a completely different player to the previous version .

Clifton did well I thought , alongside Eisa who is putting in a real shift off the ball to make it a 5 man midfield when we have not got the ball , and provides a good outlet when we have it .

Conteh is such a thinking footballer , Alex Hunt just needs to watch footage of Conteh to see what he needs to do - Conteh makes the right decision most of the time , Hunt does not and with his obvious technical capabilities it's at least to me becoming an  increasingly frustrating watch - him making the same mistakes time and time again .

Danny Rose is a good forward player , my only concern is he's flogged for 46 games and ends the season in a bad way ; he does not seem to move particularly well anyway .

Anyway all in all yesterday was not the disaster some seem to make it , it's a long season .

I do wish fans of all teams  would stop singing that cringe song though , grates on me that one .

I do wonder sometimes if a minority of fans still hold a grudge over that ear cupping gesture , as it seems some still want to take him down at every opportunity .

On reflection I think my problem stems from league performances since Christmas before last . Take out the play off games and we have looked poor at times and ok at others but the constant seems to be boring football
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 95
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2023, 5:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Quoted from It Bites

On reflection I think my problem stems from league performances since Christmas before last . Take out the play off games and we have looked poor at times and ok at others but the constant seems to be boring football

My problem is that we set up too defensive because we have a defensive coaching staff. It was my problem under Hurst Mark One and remains an issue. He is a competent manager without doubt but he needs to trust his players and be more front foot.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 95
immariner
August 13, 2023, 6:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Mappers

Made a couple of decent saves but I've replayed the 2nd goal a number of times with the hope that it gets better...it's a bad one. He's 2 yards off his line when it deflects. I doubt he'll be too happy with the 3rd either
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 95
Maringer
August 13, 2023, 6:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
The whole, 'Defenders can't coach attackers' argument is an absolute nonsense. The coaching badges they get involve all aspects of play and tactics.

I suppose it's possible or even probable that former defenders might decide to play a less expansive style due to personal preference, but this would vary by individual.

Wenger and Klopp were both defenders in their playing days (and Wenger's assistant manager was Pat Rice, chicken another defender), but they aren't exactly known for their defensive teams.

In general, you're less likely to see an expansive style of play from teams without the top-end budgets in the division and we're pretty much mid-table in this regard so I'm not overly surprised we're not looking to spray it about and outscore the opposition.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 95
fishcake63
August 13, 2023, 6:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,225
Gold Stars: 62
Think you have to be honest & say not good on reflection goals 2 & 3
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 95
nickmariners
August 13, 2023, 6:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from barralad

Go on I'll bite. What was it about Waterfall's performance today that suggested he was past it?

Yeah mate, wonder was it that he won almost every defensive header and was clearly a leader on the pitch?

I thought Waterfall played his way back to a regular starting berth in the XI.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 95
ginnywings
August 13, 2023, 6:50pm

Recovering Alcoholic
So, I think it's time to collate all the excellent information in this and other threads into an informative email which can be sent to PH and co in order to let them know where they are going wrong.

Most agree on Eastwood as goalie, so no problem there Paul, but the full back situation needs some serious attention. Mullarkey is either good going forward, not very good defensively, or good defensively, but not going forward, depending on which fishy-ite you care to favour. Glennon may as well be sent out on loan/put on the transfer list/sold for dog meat, whichever is the most expedient. Efete is too right footed and Amos is out in the cold, so a new left back by the weekend please Paul.

Waterfall is dogged but a bit old school, so Mullarkey could shuffle across to centre back, his true position, to partner the faultless Rodgers, leaving boo boy Efete to reclaim his right back slot.

Now midfield. No problem with Conteh, apart from he may be gone for millions in Jan, so we need to be looking for a replacement now. Hunt is vastly over rated and most fans can't understand why we paid a fee and gave him a 3 year deal. Ditto Vernam. What were you thinking? Clifton is always playing in the wrong position. Doesn't matter where you play him, a group of fans think he should be elsewhere.

Strike force? Forget it mate, useless to a man. No movement, no height, no penetration, no pace, no vision and always receiving the ball too far back down the pitch, with their backs to goal and nowhere to go. Rose is the pick of the bunch, but he has to do so much work, he is blowing out of his ar$e by 60 mins.

So we have a spine of sorts. Eastwood, Rodgers, Conteh and Rose. The rest leave a lot to be desired and can be moved around and replaced ad infinitum until you luckily chance upon a sort of winning formula. You'll get the hang of it if you stick at it long enough.

As for tactics; well this is the biggest sticking point. You somehow manage to be a tinker man, without actually changing the personnel, have no set pattern of play, and no plan B. When you do decide to do something, it's too late and only ever like for like, so how the hell can we be expected to beat every single side we play against?

I really don't know how you managed to get where you did in football, but worry not, the fans have all the answers, if you would just listen to all the free advice form office workers, bus drivers and insurance salesmen etc.

Alternatively, we could just accept that football teams lose games, and sometimes other teams are better than your team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 95
Mappers
August 13, 2023, 7:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from immariner

Made a couple of decent saves but I've replayed the 2nd goal a number of times with the hope that it gets better...it's a bad one. He's 2 yards off his line when it deflects. I doubt he'll be too happy with the 3rd either

Have only seen live mate , will have a look later.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 95
MuddyWaters
August 13, 2023, 7:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,249
Quoted from immariner

That was a freakish deflection that would have wrong footed any keeper.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 95
lew chaterleys lover
August 13, 2023, 8:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings
So, I think it's time to collate all the excellent information in this and other threads into an informative email which can be sent to PH and co in order to let them know where they are going wrong.

Most agree on Eastwood as goalie, so no problem there Paul, but the full back situation needs some serious attention. Mullarkey is either good going forward, not very good defensively, or good defensively, but not going forward, depending on which fishy-ite you care to favour. Glennon may as well be sent out on loan/put on the transfer list/sold for dog meat, whichever is the most expedient. Efete is too right footed and Amos is out in the cold, so a new left back by the weekend please Paul.

Waterfall is dogged but a bit old school, so Mullarkey could shuffle across to centre back, his true position, to partner the faultless Rodgers, leaving boo boy Efete to reclaim his right back slot.

Now midfield. No problem with Conteh, apart from he may be gone for millions in Jan, so we need to be looking for a replacement now. Hunt is vastly over rated and most fans can't understand why we paid a fee and gave him a 3 year deal. Ditto Vernam. What were you thinking? Clifton is always playing in the wrong position. Doesn't matter where you play him, a group of fans think he should be elsewhere.

Strike force? Forget it mate, useless to a man. No movement, no height, no penetration, no pace, no vision and always receiving the ball too far back down the pitch, with their backs to goal and nowhere to go. Rose is the pick of the bunch, but he has to do so much work, he is blowing out of his ar$e by 60 mins.

So we have a spine of sorts. Eastwood, Rodgers, Conteh and Rose. The rest leave a lot to be desired and can be moved around and replaced ad infinitum until you luckily chance upon a sort of winning formula. You'll get the hang of it if you stick at it long enough.

As for tactics; well this is the biggest sticking point. You somehow manage to be a tinker man, without actually changing the personnel, have no set pattern of play, and no plan B. When you do decide to do something, it's too late and only ever like for like, so how the hell can we be expected to beat every single side we play against?

I really don't know how you managed to get where you did in football, but worry not, the fans have all the answers, if you would just listen to all the free advice form office workers, bus drivers and insurance salesmen etc.

Alternatively, we could just accept that football teams lose games, and sometimes other teams are better than your team.

Funnily enough, through irony you have summed up our shortcomings perfectly!

To be fair every forum in the country is discussing their teams failings unless they have won their first two games  and even if they have in some cases!
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 95
Theimperialcoroner
August 13, 2023, 8:45pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from immariner

You seriously blaming him for the second? He’s set properly for the shot and the deflection kills him, nothing he could’ve done better for it.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 95
mariner91
August 13, 2023, 9:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
He wasn’t at fault for the third one either. The midfielder who let him have a free run in to the box is.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 95
immariner
August 13, 2023, 9:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,413
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

You seriously blaming him for the second? He’s set properly for the shot and the deflection kills him, nothing he could’ve done better for it.

It was a cross. Not denying it's a nasty one but he looks slow to get off the ground, for me. When you look at his starting position and the pace of the ball I'm certain he'll be disappointed to not at least get a hand to it. Call it a lazy comparison but I think Crocombe gets it, perhaps simply by virtue of a few extra inches in height/reach
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 95
ginnywings
August 13, 2023, 9:06pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from immariner

It was a cross. Not denying it's a nasty one but he looks slow to get off the ground, for me. When you look at his starting position and the pace of the ball I'm certain he'll be disappointed to not at least get a hand to it. Call it a lazy comparison but I think Crocombe gets it, perhaps simply by virtue of a few extra inches in height/reach

If Crocombe has a few extra inches in height over Eastwood, he must be about 7 foot tall.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 95
sam gy
August 13, 2023, 9:07pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Having watched the highlights, Vernam actually plays a part in both goals  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 95
ginnywings
August 13, 2023, 9:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic

Funnily enough, through irony you have summed up our shortcomings perfectly!

To be fair every forum in the country is discussing their teams failings unless they have won their first two games  and even if they have in some cases!

Just trying to put a light hearted spin on it, but the doom mongers will doom, and the more pragmatic will shrug their shoulders and look to the next game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 95
HerveJosse
August 13, 2023, 9:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

You got it in one though of your acceptable four Rose is provisionally ok only pending further scrutiny in the two home games this week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 95
moosey_club
August 13, 2023, 9:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
All their goals came from having a wide man who could cross a ball....the first a big deflection admittedly but the whip and power initially creates the spin and dip.that beat Eastwood..the second goal...Jones had about a yard of space and still got an inch perfect cross which Eastwood initially cleared the header but that was followed up with a cross back in that picked out Bostock....the third goal..they must have had 8 passes completely unchallenged by us before Jones mugged Mularkey and again fired over a beauty....people trying to blame Eastwood or even Efete who actually had three players around him to consider are off their heads.
We only really got behind them a few times and most of those came down our left second half ....and due to our lack of left footed players we didn't get close to putting a cross in anything like the quality they were delivering.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 95
mariner91
August 13, 2023, 9:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from sam gy
Having watched the highlights, Vernam actually plays a part in both goals  

Generous in the extreme to claim he played a part in the first one. He closed down the opposition in our own half which is literally the bare minimum I would expect from any professional player. It was a catastrophic error on their part, nothing to do with our play.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 95
ginnywings
August 13, 2023, 9:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from moosey_club
All their goals came from having a wide man who could cross a ball....the first a big deflection admittedly but the whip and power initially creates the spin and dip.that beat Eastwood..the second goal...Jones had about a yard of space and still got an inch perfect cross which Eastwood initially cleared the header but that was followed up with a cross back in that picked out Bostock....the third goal..they must have had 8 passes completely unchallenged by us before Jones mugged Mularkey and again fired over a beauty....people trying to blame Eastwood or even Efete who actually had three players around him to consider are off their heads.
We only really got behind them a few times and most of those came down our left second half ....and due to our lack of left footed players we didn't get close to putting a cross in anything like the quality they were delivering.

Our crossing is pretty woeful. It was dire against Wimbledon, with most being flat and easy to defend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
grimsby pete
August 13, 2023, 10:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ginnywings

Excellent post Ginny i bet if we beat Salford on Tuesday we will be odds on to go up

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
GrimRob
August 13, 2023, 10:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,403
Glennon made a scapegoat for losing 3-2 but we were actually 1-0 up when he left the pitch! Yes he did struggle but they were a threat from wide areas throughout the game.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 82 - 95
grimsby pete
August 13, 2023, 10:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,797
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GrimRob
Glennon made a scapegoat for losing 3-2 but we were actually 1-0 up when he left the pitch!

Do not talk facts Rob you know they do not have any room on here.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 95
Hagrid
August 13, 2023, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Do not talk facts Rob you know they do not have any room on here.

Sorry Pete but you were not at the game and I assure you Glennon was being annihilated time and time and time again. He’d been booked, Notts were targeting him, PH Wouldnt pull him off after 30 minutes for no good reason.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
mariner91
August 13, 2023, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob
Glennon made a scapegoat for losing 3-2 but we were actually 1-0 up when he left the pitch! Yes he did struggle but they were a threat from wide areas throughout the game.

He's not been made a scapegoat at all it's merely been pointed out that he's a weak point and the opposition know it. Other than injury how often do you see defenders get substituted? And even if they are, it's usually a tactical decision to put more attacking players on. I've never known a defender get substituted two games in a row before the second half so what does that tell you? He may not have been to blame for the defeat at all but he was totally out of sorts and they were getting joy down that side literally every time they attacked him, it was only a matter of time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
GrimExile
August 14, 2023, 11:06am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Well that was excrement. Can I get refund on my Walsall ticket?

Same old same old, under Hurst isn't it. Play high pressing free flowing attack football in a nice 433 that turned into a 442 when we were defending. We looked really good and Hurst had actually nearly convinced me maybe we were in for a good season.

No back to the usual slow, deep defensive football and no plan B insight except for like for like subs and a slight rejigger of who plays in what spot.

3 poor goals to concede which we should have done better. Communication mix up for the 1st, 2nd the shot never should have come in for the lucky deflection and we left 2 men unmarked at the back post for the 3rd.

Same as last season coming folks a long hard season and I don't see  an FA Cup miricle coming either to warm the cockles either.

My god that’s after our second league game against a side many think will get promoted twice in 2 seasons. Surely it’s far too early to be making those kind of judgements, wait until we’re say 10 games in and not after 2. Have a word with yourself!! #UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
Mappers
August 14, 2023, 11:13am
Champagne Drinker
The next six are tough , the fixtures have fallen strangely in that we get (on paper at least ) 7 expected promotion candidates in the first 8 games . After that we have a kinder run of things you would expect - i would take an ugly win or 2 out of the next 6 a draw or 2 and a couple of losses in whatever order , which although not ideal would for me be a reasonable start  , with the chance to build .

It might sound obvious but we don't want to be 8  games in drawing 4 or 5  and losing 3 or 4 but no wins  .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
ginnywings
August 14, 2023, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Mappers
The next six are tough , the fixtures have fallen strangely in that we get (on paper at least ) 7 expected promotion candidates in the first 8 games . After that we have a kinder run of things you would expect - i would take an ugly win or 2 out of the next 6 a draw or 2 and a couple of losses in whatever order , which although not ideal would for me be a reasonable start  , with the chance to build .

It might sound obvious but we don't want to be 8  games in drawing 4 or 5  and losing 3 or 4 but no wins  .

Yep, there's a fair chance we could lose the next 2 home games, and then the meltdown would reach epic proportions.

And it doesn't get any easier after that for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
Limerick Mariner
August 14, 2023, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from GrimRob

I don’t know what the feck is up him, I thought looked he leggy after 30 mins at Mansfield - like he was I’ll or something. Was surprised he was picked for Saturday. Efete’s performances in both games after coming on, nominally out of position, were decent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 95
gtfc_chris
August 14, 2023, 1:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Obviously for us it's all just an opinions business, but I think there's a huge overreaction so early on.

I thought we started very brightly, earning a corner inside of 10 seconds and for the first 5-10 minutes we looked comfortable.

Our first goal didn't come against the run of play but I'd say County were on the ascendancy at that point and the goal only solidified that and from there up until half time they were a different class to us and showed why many have them tipped to be up there.

Even being the better side by some margin in terms of maintaining possession and probing forward, I don't recall them being through on goal or having a huge amount of 'clear cut' chances.

Our second goal definitely came against the run of play and I didn't get excited about what that meant, it was very evident County were going to be a continued threat and that's exactly how it panned out in the second half and I think they were deserved winners.

I thought from 70/75 minutes we became the better side in terms of keeping the ball again but we didn't really do enough to trouble the keeper. A couple of shots from range narrowly past the post but Stone didn't really get his gloves warm.

Even during this period though it was notable that they'd taken Bostock, McGoldrick, Crowley and Jones off, four players who I thought we outstanding along with Nemane. Had they stayed on I'm not sure we would have enjoyed the lions share of the ball.

Personally, I'm not reading anything into this defeat from a Grimsby perspective, I'm looking at it how well I think County played. They have defensive frailty and a risky game with how they move the ball but I think over the course of the season it will benefit them more than it will hinder them and I enjoyed watching them in truth.

For us, we simply got outdone by a very capable team. It's happened before and it will again. I didn't see that game as being one where we have been completely awful like Barrow or Swindon away last season. There's still work to do of course and with Salford and Mansfield coming up we have another two very challenging fixtures that we'll have to up our game if we want something from.

PH and the players will no doubt want to get those three points ASAP to ease what already appears to be significant pressure after two games in the league without a win but, again on a personal note, so long as we don't contribute to our downfall by being awful and we manage a few goals then I'm not going to hit any panic buttons if we don't.

To give you some historical evidence of why I won't panic:

19th August 2021 - Mansfield are 3rd in the league having W2, D1, L0.
05th October 2021 - Mansfield are 22nd in the league having W2, D3, L5.
Final League Position: 7th.

The league is so tough and there will be highs and lows for most teams (including those who go on to promotion) and nothing will be decided after four games. Mid-season non-league and our bad run hindered us but wouldn't have affected winning the league and in the play-offs you can only do what you can do on the day - which we did.

If we're all 'football people' here then we should all know that regardless of how good/bad you judge us to have been it's a season game and much can change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 14, 2023, 2:05pm
Brandy Drinker
After our summer transfer activity most on here were, and I’m sure many still are, confident of an improvement on last season’s league placing and the play offs a real possibility. All of a sudden we have 7 out of 8 games against the most fancied sides and we will struggle to get a win. If we have any real ambition of getting in the top 7 we need to be beating a number of these sides otherwise it’s a season of mediocrity that awaits and not one of continuous improvement.

What I don’t understand is the apparent change in tactics from the Lincoln friendly to that witnessed in the two league games. Against Lincoln we had a high press and continually got numbers in the box when delivering crosses whereas we are now, in the majority of cases, retreating to the half way line and defending from there whilst Rose is often isolated up front. It just feels like once again we worry too much about the opposition and don’t rely on our strengths letting them worry about us.

We also ended up on Saturday with a left hand side composing, Efete, Clifton and Vernam none of whom are left footed so we have no balance particularly going forward where all three have to cut inside to get on their stronger foot allowing teams time to reorganise and reducing our attacking threat considerably.

Early days but we need to be winning at least one of our home matches this week to help keep player and supporters confident that we are on the right path.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 95
lew chaterleys lover
August 14, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,712
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
After our summer transfer activity most on here were, and I’m sure many still are, confident of an improvement on last season’s league placing and the play offs a real possibility. All of a sudden we have 7 out of 8 games against the most fancied sides and we will struggle to get a win. If we have any real ambition of getting in the top 7 we need to be beating a number of these sides otherwise it’s a season of mediocrity that awaits and not one of continuous improvement.

What I don’t understand is the apparent change in tactics from the Lincoln friendly to that witnessed in the two league games. Against Lincoln we had a high press and continually got numbers in the box when delivering crosses whereas we are now, in the majority of cases, retreating to the half way line and defending from there whilst Rose is often isolated up front. It just feels like once again we worry too much about the opposition and don’t rely on our strengths letting them worry about us.

We also ended up on Saturday with a left hand side composing, Efete, Clifton and Vernam none of whom are left footed so we have no balance particularly going forward where all three have to cut inside to get on their stronger foot allowing teams time to reorganise and reducing our attacking threat considerably.

Early days but we need to be winning at least one of our home matches this week to help keep player and supporters confident that we are on the right path.

I agree with all of that but it is also the lack of excitement and aggressive attacking intent that might get on people's nerves. If we are pragmatic and grind out results fans won't worry about it, but if it is turgid and not winning then people will feel aggrieved.

Early days but I hope we see signs tomorrow of some gelling and getting on the front foot to excite the crowd.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 95
HerveJosse
August 15, 2023, 1:49pm
Champagne Drinker

Simple explaination really against Lincoln under21s you can dictate how the game is played out against teams at or above your level you cant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 15, 2023, 3:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Simple explaination really against Lincoln under21s you can dictate how the game is played out against teams at or above your level you cant

But you can dictate how you want to play. When Wimbledon came they often left four men in forward positions whereas we get all ten back behind the ball. If we had more attacking intent and committed men forward, trusting the defence and defensive midfield player to do their jobs, we would undoubtedly create more scoring opportunities we then just need to take them.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
HerveJosse
August 15, 2023, 5:55pm
Champagne Drinker

But you can dictate how you want to play. When Wimbledon came they often left four men in forward positions whereas we get all ten back behind the ball. If we had more attacking intent and committed men forward, trusting the defence and defensive midfield player to do their jobs, we would undoubtedly create more scoring opportunities we then just need to take them.

Never going to happen while PH is manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.