Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,996 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
August 12, 2023, 6:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
I didn't go to the game, but it's notable that Hunt hasn't had a single mention in this thread yet. If he's not getting the possession to link the midfield and forwards, he's not doing anything.

I assume we were trying to play some sort of a 4-2-3-1, as against Wimbledon, but it didn't work then and it doesn't sound like it worked today, either. If we were actually getting men forward in support of Rose, it would be a different matter but I'm presuming they just collapsed back when we were under pressure and he was left isolated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 95
Limerick Mariner
August 12, 2023, 6:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
PH a bit rose tinted on RH after For the second time in a week we’ve not looked after the ball at all well and failed to put a concerted period of pressure on the opposition. Granted a lot of Notts possession was tip tapping about but we never got at their full backs or got quality delivery into the box. Notts will I expect be comfortably top half but as commented above they looked suspect at the back.

Neither Eisa nor Vernam have got in either game this week. As our two signings that should be opening up the opposition that is worrying. Playing both of them looks a luxury and neither worked hard enough for press game that has overcome Notts pretty passing in the past.

Two good finishes from Rose and Harry and really impressed with my first viewing of Conteh.

Overall the squad suddenly looks a lot more limited.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 95
denni266
August 12, 2023, 6:55pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +702
Gold Stars: 132
One common denoinator here  and that is Hurst
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 95
It Bites
August 12, 2023, 7:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,162
Gold Stars: 264
Quoted from denni266
One common denoinator here  and that is Hurst

I’ll be honest I’ve watched more town games in the last year than in the previous 5 and all I’ve gained is knowing it’s gonna be dull and predictable. Hurst has run his race and we need freshening up a bit . I watched the coaches against Wimbledon..   do I want Steve Croudson shouting our orders to the out field players ? No not really.
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 95
lukeo
August 12, 2023, 7:03pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,372
Gold Stars: 148
Only caught glimpses of it as I had it on a tablet whilst at our wedding reception  
Looked a very messy game but we seemed to attack a fair bit.
I'm not a big fan of this 4231 but I trust Hurst and the players to get it right. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 7:09pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Time for wingbacks when Maher is back for me. Glennon will be a better wing back than full back in a four. I like the middle three but they're naive at times and could do with a experienced head in there. The current front three just is not working at all. Other than Eisa hitting the post against Wimbledon, the wide pair have both contributed very little. I'd drop them for Pyke and Maher when he's back and do that switch to 532/352.

The performance today was a shocker. I was very happy to be going in level before we somehow went in leading. Looked like a lovely assist from Mullarkey, will have to watch that back. Everything was flat in the second half though, it was like we came down with dropped heads and it felt like a Notts win was inevitable even before the equaliser. Reflected in the atmosphere too, was great at the start but dwindled as the match went on.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 95
Northbank Mariner
August 12, 2023, 7:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,445
Gold Stars: 171
3 games in and we are seeing all the same issues we saw last season, we just do not get quality balls into the box nor enough bodies...
I just can't get it out of my head, is our issue that every coach we have are ex defenders and just cannot think positively abd resort to type and it becomes about trying not to lose rather than trying to win?..
I honestly think we have decent players in the building but for some reason they just aren't performing, the likes of Eisa, Vernam, Clifton, Glennon, are all players that could, and some have, play at a higher level yet with us look like NLN players...
Really hoped for a more entertaining brand of football this season but right now, I'm doubting that and have lowered my expectations to a more turgid approach from Hurst again....
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 95
Limerick Mariner
August 12, 2023, 7:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Interesting how Notts played McGoldrick deeper than I expected - in the way we best used McAtee. His quality first touch and ability to switch the play wide in either direction kept their attack moving whereas our stuttered and ended with loss of possession.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 95
Spurn boy
August 12, 2023, 7:29pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,238
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from pontoonlew
The disappointment for me is the fact we looked to have signed good players and I still believe we have, yet everything feels very much the same. I watched today and last Saturday multiple times last season & it’s all a bit predictable.

The squad still needs time, but that was the reason we signed them all early, to have them ready for the season. It’s more disappointing than it is concerning.

Exactly what I thought today, if this was last season’s team I could accept today’s performance but today’s side should have closed down Notts much better than they did.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 95
toontown
August 12, 2023, 7:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Hagrid

Thats harsh. I thought he did allright considering he is not a left back, and was better than Glennon who needs taking out the 11. Amos in on Tuesday.

Vernam has shown nothing and a 3 year deal is looking terrible buisness.

I'm a big efete critic but to be honest I thought he looked decent considering he was being played on his wrong side.

I do think it looks like Hurst doesn't trust Amos given that efete was brought on instead of him Tuesday- with glennon performing so badly defensively at FB that leaves us exposed. Esp as one of efete and mularkey are effectively our 4th choice CB too and we are playing them both and maher is injured. Looks like Hurst took his eye off the ball last season in allowing Amos to reach enough appearances to trigger an extension. Should have thought more strategically and been playing efete then if needed - would have allowed us to get a more solid defensively left back in. We are also moving our 3 behind the striker around - clifton was switched to tge left today and Vernham to the right, presumably to try and protect glennon more.

Yeah Vernham anonymous in preseason and games so far, literally could have been oneill from last year for all his impact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.