Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,005 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 13, 2023, 9:52pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from moosey_club
All their goals came from having a wide man who could cross a ball....the first a big deflection admittedly but the whip and power initially creates the spin and dip.that beat Eastwood..the second goal...Jones had about a yard of space and still got an inch perfect cross which Eastwood initially cleared the header but that was followed up with a cross back in that picked out Bostock....the third goal..they must have had 8 passes completely unchallenged by us before Jones mugged Mularkey and again fired over a beauty....people trying to blame Eastwood or even Efete who actually had three players around him to consider are off their heads.
We only really got behind them a few times and most of those came down our left second half ....and due to our lack of left footed players we didn't get close to putting a cross in anything like the quality they were delivering.

Our crossing is pretty woeful. It was dire against Wimbledon, with most being flat and easy to defend.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 95
grimsby pete
August 13, 2023, 10:15pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from ginnywings
So, I think it's time to collate all the excellent information in this and other threads into an informative email which can be sent to PH and co in order to let them know where they are going wrong.

Most agree on Eastwood as goalie, so no problem there Paul, but the full back situation needs some serious attention. Mullarkey is either good going forward, not very good defensively, or good defensively, but not going forward, depending on which fishy-ite you care to favour. Glennon may as well be sent out on loan/put on the transfer list/sold for dog meat, whichever is the most expedient. Efete is too right footed and Amos is out in the cold, so a new left back by the weekend please Paul.

Waterfall is dogged but a bit old school, so Mullarkey could shuffle across to centre back, his true position, to partner the faultless Rodgers, leaving boo boy Efete to reclaim his right back slot.

Now midfield. No problem with Conteh, apart from he may be gone for millions in Jan, so we need to be looking for a replacement now. Hunt is vastly over rated and most fans can't understand why we paid a fee and gave him a 3 year deal. Ditto Vernam. What were you thinking? Clifton is always playing in the wrong position. Doesn't matter where you play him, a group of fans think he should be elsewhere.

Strike force? Forget it mate, useless to a man. No movement, no height, no penetration, no pace, no vision and always receiving the ball too far back down the pitch, with their backs to goal and nowhere to go. Rose is the pick of the bunch, but he has to do so much work, he is blowing out of his ar$e by 60 mins.

So we have a spine of sorts. Eastwood, Rodgers, Conteh and Rose. The rest leave a lot to be desired and can be moved around and replaced ad infinitum until you luckily chance upon a sort of winning formula. You'll get the hang of it if you stick at it long enough.

As for tactics; well this is the biggest sticking point. You somehow manage to be a tinker man, without actually changing the personnel, have no set pattern of play, and no plan B. When you do decide to do something, it's too late and only ever like for like, so how the hell can we be expected to beat every single side we play against?

I really don't know how you managed to get where you did in football, but worry not, the fans have all the answers, if you would just listen to all the free advice form office workers, bus drivers and insurance salesmen etc.

Alternatively, we could just accept that football teams lose games, and sometimes other teams are better than your team.

Excellent post Ginny i bet if we beat Salford on Tuesday we will be odds on to go up

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 95
GrimRob
August 13, 2023, 10:15pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113
Glennon made a scapegoat for losing 3-2 but we were actually 1-0 up when he left the pitch! Yes he did struggle but they were a threat from wide areas throughout the game.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 82 - 95
grimsby pete
August 13, 2023, 10:18pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,800
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from GrimRob
Glennon made a scapegoat for losing 3-2 but we were actually 1-0 up when he left the pitch!

Do not talk facts Rob you know they do not have any room on here.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 95
Hagrid
August 13, 2023, 10:34pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from grimsby pete

Do not talk facts Rob you know they do not have any room on here.

Sorry Pete but you were not at the game and I assure you Glennon was being annihilated time and time and time again. He’d been booked, Notts were targeting him, PH Wouldnt pull him off after 30 minutes for no good reason.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 95
mariner91
August 13, 2023, 10:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimRob
Glennon made a scapegoat for losing 3-2 but we were actually 1-0 up when he left the pitch! Yes he did struggle but they were a threat from wide areas throughout the game.

He's not been made a scapegoat at all it's merely been pointed out that he's a weak point and the opposition know it. Other than injury how often do you see defenders get substituted? And even if they are, it's usually a tactical decision to put more attacking players on. I've never known a defender get substituted two games in a row before the second half so what does that tell you? He may not have been to blame for the defeat at all but he was totally out of sorts and they were getting joy down that side literally every time they attacked him, it was only a matter of time.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 95
GrimExile
August 14, 2023, 11:06am
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,280
Gold Stars: 36
Well that was excrement. Can I get refund on my Walsall ticket?

Same old same old, under Hurst isn't it. Play high pressing free flowing attack football in a nice 433 that turned into a 442 when we were defending. We looked really good and Hurst had actually nearly convinced me maybe we were in for a good season.

No back to the usual slow, deep defensive football and no plan B insight except for like for like subs and a slight rejigger of who plays in what spot.

3 poor goals to concede which we should have done better. Communication mix up for the 1st, 2nd the shot never should have come in for the lucky deflection and we left 2 men unmarked at the back post for the 3rd.

Same as last season coming folks a long hard season and I don't see  an FA Cup miricle coming either to warm the cockles either.

My god that’s after our second league game against a side many think will get promoted twice in 2 seasons. Surely it’s far too early to be making those kind of judgements, wait until we’re say 10 games in and not after 2. Have a word with yourself!! #UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 95
Mappers
August 14, 2023, 11:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
The next six are tough , the fixtures have fallen strangely in that we get (on paper at least ) 7 expected promotion candidates in the first 8 games . After that we have a kinder run of things you would expect - i would take an ugly win or 2 out of the next 6 a draw or 2 and a couple of losses in whatever order , which although not ideal would for me be a reasonable start  , with the chance to build .

It might sound obvious but we don't want to be 8  games in drawing 4 or 5  and losing 3 or 4 but no wins  .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 95
ginnywings
August 14, 2023, 11:21am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mappers
The next six are tough , the fixtures have fallen strangely in that we get (on paper at least ) 7 expected promotion candidates in the first 8 games . After that we have a kinder run of things you would expect - i would take an ugly win or 2 out of the next 6 a draw or 2 and a couple of losses in whatever order , which although not ideal would for me be a reasonable start  , with the chance to build .

It might sound obvious but we don't want to be 8  games in drawing 4 or 5  and losing 3 or 4 but no wins  .

Yep, there's a fair chance we could lose the next 2 home games, and then the meltdown would reach epic proportions.

And it doesn't get any easier after that for a while.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 95
Limerick Mariner
August 14, 2023, 12:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GrimRob

I don’t know what the feck is up him, I thought looked he leggy after 30 mins at Mansfield - like he was I’ll or something. Was surprised he was picked for Saturday. Efete’s performances in both games after coming on, nominally out of position, were decent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.