Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 11,999 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
mariner91
August 12, 2023, 9:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Finally home and got the little one down so I can reflect a bit more.

Eastwood - made some great saves. Didn't really do much wrong. The second goal was a fluke and no chance with the first and third really.
Mullarkey - first time I've seen him. Don't quite get why some have raved about him so much. Good assist and didn't do too bad but found it difficult against Jones.
Waterfall - didn't do anything wrong really, does what he does and you know what you'll get
Rodgers - a rare bright spot from today. He oozes class.
Glennon - Left back is a real problem area. Glennon isn't quick enough and isn't good enough defending one on one. Has a reasonably good delivery but as others have alluded to, teams are targeting him and getting a lot of joy down that side. The fact that he's been subbed before the second half two games in a row and the fact Efete was preferred to  Amos both times says a lot. Would be amazed if we don't have another left back by next Saturday.
Conteh - still a little raw and has some learning to do but has the potential to be one of the best midfielders we've had in years.
Hunt - I'm probably going to say something controversial here but I don't really see the fuss about Hunt? I'm starting to think he's a luxury player. We know given time and space he can pick a pass and he showed this in the NL where frankly most teams gave us a lot of time and space and the opposition were generally a bit shite. In the FL, he's neither dictating play from deep nor is he getting the ball further forward. He's also not quick enough on the ball or good enough at protecting it when games are tight. I would personally like to see a more experienced CM be signed and said this earlier in the transfer window but I doubt it will happen.
Vernam - didn't do anything. I mean literally almost nothing, particularly in the second half. Was a bit underwhelmed when he signed and couldn't get the fuss some were making about it but if he's, as it appears, one of the players we're going to be relying on then that's seriously worrying.
Clifton - Does a lot of work, scored a good goal but is always going to be limited on the ball. I can understand some people's frustration with him but he's always going to start, it's just working out where he's most effective with the players around him.
Eisa - not quite as ineffective as Vernam but struggled in the hole behind Rose. Didn't find any pockets of space and didn't create anything all game. He's also much slower than I was expecting? A lot of his running looked very laboured.
Rose - I really like Rose. Took his goal well and is a handful to defend against. Needs either a partner around him or the right blend of players supporting him and for them to actually get close to him.

Overall I think we've got better players than last season. We've also got Gnahoua and Pyke to become fully fit and Khan and Wilson to come back. However, the system today just didn't work. Notts were very good on the ball and had a clear system going forward which helped them find lots of pockets of space and create situations where they got in behind us. They also had a much better final ball and more athleticism generally. I don't know what it is about Hurst teams but we always seem to be lacking real pace and power!? On the other hand, Notts were very suspect defensively yet in the main we relied on them messing up rather than creating anything ourselves.

There's no obvious plan or even shape when attacking. Rose is isolated and once we got in to the middle third, the movement from the forward players was mostly non existent. 4-2-3-1 can work really well with the right players, as seen by McAtee and Taylor two season ago, but we don't have anyone getting between the lines and our passing is too slow to break between the lines quickly. We've also never replaced Sousa as someone who can run at the opposition, drag the rest of the team up the pitch and create space by drawing defenders to him. Vernam and Eisa showed none of this today and Clifton just isn't good enough on the ball to do it properly for all his other positive attributes.

I know it's early days but we need another striker, preferably a physical one who can hold the ball up well. We desperately need a left back. And if we were serious about going up then I'd want another central midfielder and maybe another winger too, someone with pace who will actually be willing to run at the opposition. At the very least we need a rethink on the system cause it does not suit the players we have at the minute.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 95
mariner91
August 12, 2023, 9:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,652
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from Chalky

That was Daniel Crowley who we signed in June  when he was released  by Morecambe at the end of last season,he was MOM for me and gave his all

He was excellent. Much better on the ball than our midfielders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 10:50pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from mariner91
Finally home and got the little one down so I can reflect a bit more.

Eastwood - made some great saves. Didn't really do much wrong. The second goal was a fluke and no chance with the first and third really.
Mullarkey - first time I've seen him. Don't quite get why some have raved about him so much. Good assist and didn't do too bad but found it difficult against Jones.
Waterfall - didn't do anything wrong really, does what he does and you know what you'll get
Rodgers - a rare bright spot from today. He oozes class.
Glennon - Left back is a real problem area. Glennon isn't quick enough and isn't good enough defending one on one. Has a reasonably good delivery but as others have alluded to, teams are targeting him and getting a lot of joy down that side. The fact that he's been subbed before the second half two games in a row and the fact Efete was preferred to  Amos both times says a lot. Would be amazed if we don't have another left back by next Saturday.
Conteh - still a little raw and has some learning to do but has the potential to be one of the best midfielders we've had in years.
Hunt - I'm probably going to say something controversial here but I don't really see the fuss about Hunt? I'm starting to think he's a luxury player. We know given time and space he can pick a pass and he showed this in the NL where frankly most teams gave us a lot of time and space and the opposition were generally a bit shite. In the FL, he's neither dictating play from deep nor is he getting the ball further forward. He's also not quick enough on the ball or good enough at protecting it when games are tight. I would personally like to see a more experienced CM be signed and said this earlier in the transfer window but I doubt it will happen.
Vernam - didn't do anything. I mean literally almost nothing, particularly in the second half. Was a bit underwhelmed when he signed and couldn't get the fuss some were making about it but if he's, as it appears, one of the players we're going to be relying on then that's seriously worrying.
Clifton - Does a lot of work, scored a good goal but is always going to be limited on the ball. I can understand some people's frustration with him but he's always going to start, it's just working out where he's most effective with the players around him.
Eisa - not quite as ineffective as Vernam but struggled in the hole behind Rose. Didn't find any pockets of space and didn't create anything all game. He's also much slower than I was expecting? A lot of his running looked very laboured.
Rose - I really like Rose. Took his goal well and is a handful to defend against. Needs either a partner around him or the right blend of players supporting him and for them to actually get close to him.

Overall I think we've got better players than last season. We've also got Gnahoua and Pyke to become fully fit and Khan and Wilson to come back. However, the system today just didn't work. Notts were very good on the ball and had a clear system going forward which helped them find lots of pockets of space and create situations where they got in behind us. They also had a much better final ball and more athleticism generally. I don't know what it is about Hurst teams but we always seem to be lacking real pace and power!? On the other hand, Notts were very suspect defensively yet in the main we relied on them messing up rather than creating anything ourselves.

There's no obvious plan or even shape when attacking. Rose is isolated and once we got in to the middle third, the movement from the forward players was mostly non existent. 4-2-3-1 can work really well with the right players, as seen by McAtee and Taylor two season ago, but we don't have anyone getting between the lines and our passing is too slow to break between the lines quickly. We've also never replaced Sousa as someone who can run at the opposition, drag the rest of the team up the pitch and create space by drawing defenders to him. Vernam and Eisa showed none of this today and Clifton just isn't good enough on the ball to do it properly for all his other positive attributes.

I know it's early days but we need another striker, preferably a physical one who can hold the ball up well. We desperately need a left back. And if we were serious about going up then I'd want another central midfielder and maybe another winger too, someone with pace who will actually be willing to run at the opposition. At the very least we need a rethink on the system cause it does not suit the players we have at the minute.

Excellent description.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 95
grimps
August 12, 2023, 11:36pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,129
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from RobinHoodMariner
Just about go leave the Trent Bridge Inn after a few hours reflection. Speaking with Notts fans, would certainly have been happy with a draw after that so not all doom & gloom.  Picked out the lack of firepower, not particularly going for it against a poor defence, Conteh and superb support again. Onwards and upwards!

Yeah but we’ve not had any firepower for 3 seasons have we ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 95
Mayaman
August 13, 2023, 2:50am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,416
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Hagrid

Thats harsh. I thought he did allright considering he is not a left back, and was better than Glennon who needs taking out the 11. Amos in on Tuesday.

Vernam has shown nothing and a 3 year deal is looking terrible buisness.

Likewise.  He put a lot of effort in  and put in a couple of decent crosses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 95
sam gy
August 13, 2023, 9:04am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Saw a few saying we only scored because they gifted us two goals? Fact is, we let them urine about with it at the back, pressed em and they didn’t like it. Think we’re due credit in that regards…we were forcing them into mistakes.

Their wide players looked great, along with no 7 and Bostock. Their two dangerous strikers looked quiet all game and I thought Rodgers and Waterfall both looked assured.

For me, Hunt was a little disappointing and Eisa and Vernam were not In the game at all.

Rose was great and it’s good he’s now off the mark.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 95
DB
August 13, 2023, 10:12am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,021
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Hagrid
Just home.

Fortunate to go in ahead imo, Eastwood made some really good saves but we penalised some slack notts defending and they were weak at the back

The right winger nemane tore glennon apart and wasnt surprised to see him withdrawn for Efete who i thought did well despite others around me not agreeing.

Our front 4? Rose apart, were quiet and didnt create

2nd half was all notts bar the last 10 when we had to go for it. Lucky 2nd goal but after that you knew what was coming.

I’ve said prior i do not see what Vernam is bringing to the side, he’s been very dissapointing. Eisa didnt do a lot, Hunt doesnt seem to do a lot and was anonymous today, subs didnt really improve us.

Beaten by the better side, no complaints on that, but their defence was there to be attacked and we just didnt have any killer instinct to do it.

I rarely disagree with Hurst but best team won today and Im not sure how he can say otherwise

I agree with you, but last week Eastwood saved a pen and we failed to build on it. Other teams build on that sort of thing which motivates them, why not us?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 95
diehardmariner
August 13, 2023, 11:44am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,625
Gold Stars: 539
Biggest frustration for me is how we've reverted to type.

Lincoln in pre-season we looked absolutely electric with a four of Vernam, Clifton, Hunt and Eisa behind Rose. High press, loads of interchanging and loads of movement in and around the frontman. Conteh doing Conteh stuff in front of a back four with fullbacks having the freedom to push up.

Soon as the season starts Hunt is dragged back as part of a sitting two with Conteh, Eisa playing the invisible man in the No. 10 role and Clifton's moved out of the middle.  Rose, as he was yesterday, looks very isolated.

I get it you can't go gung-ho every game, but intercourse me I'd just love to let teams worry about us for a change. County were alright and they had a couple of players who looked very good on the ball. But they weren't THAT good. They were poor at the back and we failed to take advantage of that enough.

Conteh is good enough to do what he does on his own. He doesn't need Hunt there. I think Hunt's got the ability to unlock teams, but he's also quite wasteful. That's the risk you take at this level with someone who looks to open things up. Let him take those risks 30 yards from their goal rather than our own.

Verman and Eisa haven't started the season well but they're both clearly capable. They're proven to be effective at this level. But you've got to give them space to run into, this very narrow 3 doesn't suit them at all.

intercourse knows what's gone on with Glennon. Can't remember a player getting hooked that early in two consecutive games. Says even more that Amos is twiddling his thumbs.

Rose looked absolutely shot to pieces last 30 minutes. In fact they all did. County brought extra energy with their subs. We simply didn't.

Big reaction needed on Tuesday. I'm with pontoonlew of feeling more frustrated than worried, but it's definitely disappointing so far!
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 95
devs
August 13, 2023, 12:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,982
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from mariner91

He was excellent. Much better on the ball than our midfielders.

This
Best player on the pitch by a country mile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 95
moosey_club
August 13, 2023, 3:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,263
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Chalky

That was Daniel Crowley who we signed in June  when he was released  by Morecambe at the end of last season,he was MOM for me and gave his all

Just checked his history, Villa, Arsenal and top flight Holland..with a spell at Willem ll who some olderTown fans will recognise the name of...... .impressive. Really caught the eye yesterday, always wanting the ball, comfortable under pressure and rarely gave it away.  Released by Morecombe...on that performance a superb acquisition.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.