Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,004 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
August 12, 2023, 8:24pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Every time the calls go out for the head of PH, he somehow turns it around. We can't really complain too much about the last two seasons with the progress we have made.

There is no doubt in my mind that we now have better players than we did and we will be fine when the league settles down.

There's also no doubt that the league is stronger than it's ever been.

Give it a dozen games before you start losing your sh1t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 95
moosey_club
August 12, 2023, 8:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,266
Gold Stars: 226
OK...right...
Notts County had several players who were simply just better than ours...their no.7 was very classy I think they got him from Arsenal ? Both their wingers were quick , tricky and could deliver a cross. They had us for pace and strength in just about every position so was never going to be a simple task....however....this formation is crippling us, no width attacking wise, no width defensively and Rose isolated.
It also didn't help that we just couldn't pass at all today, misplaced,  mistimed or just stupid passes wasting potential opportunities.
Gifted a goal, scored a very nice worked goal but outside of that nothing particularly clear cut.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 95
Chalky
August 12, 2023, 8:40pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +518
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from moosey_club
OK...right...
Notts County had several players who were simply just better than ours...their no.7 was very classy I think they got him from Arsenal ?

That was Daniel Crowley who we signed in June  when he was released  by Morecambe at the end of last season,he was MOM for me and gave his all
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 95
Hagrid
August 12, 2023, 8:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,423
Gold Stars: 534
Just home.

Fortunate to go in ahead imo, Eastwood made some really good saves but we penalised some slack notts defending and they were weak at the back

The right winger nemane tore glennon apart and wasnt surprised to see him withdrawn for Efete who i thought did well despite others around me not agreeing.

Our front 4? Rose apart, were quiet and didnt create

2nd half was all notts bar the last 10 when we had to go for it. Lucky 2nd goal but after that you knew what was coming.

I’ve said prior i do not see what Vernam is bringing to the side, he’s been very dissapointing. Eisa didnt do a lot, Hunt doesnt seem to do a lot and was anonymous today, subs didnt really improve us.

Beaten by the better side, no complaints on that, but their defence was there to be attacked and we just didnt have any killer instinct to do it.

I rarely disagree with Hurst but best team won today and Im not sure how he can say otherwise
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 12, 2023, 8:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from ginnywings
Every time the calls go out for the head of PH, he somehow turns it around. We can't really complain too much about the last two seasons with the progress we have made.

There is no doubt in my mind that we now have better players than we did and we will be fine when the league settles down.

There's also no doubt that the league is stronger than it's ever been.

Give it a dozen games before you start losing your sh1t.

Certainly not advocating Hurst out but as other posters have said our personnel may change but formation and tactics do not and there has been nothing to suggest that Eisa or Vernam will improve out creation of chances or the number of goals we score. As for improvement in player quality I would concur on Eastwood, Rodgers and Conteh who all have performed admirably to date with Conteh exceptional and the midfield dynamo we have needed for years.

I acknowledge I have never been Clifton’s biggest fan but have accepted he has done a decent job for the team but so far this season I think he has been poor and never looks comfortable in possession of the ball and his passing today was woeful. Hunt still hit and miss and you soon have a problem in midfield where an ageing Bostock ran the show until his injury.

Hoped the introduction of Pyke would give us a bit more aggression and threat up front but to me he looked half arsed like it was all too much effort.

So better technically maybe but are we are a better team as a result? Certainly not yet but it’s two games so plenty of time to address our current failings. Also thought we were going with a higher press approach but no it’s still if we lose the ball get all ten men back in our half to defend approach.

Early days but a lot of optimism has already disappeared but Rome wasn’t built in a day so maybe Tuesday will be the performance we all hoped for at the start of the season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 95
LH
August 12, 2023, 9:09pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,528
Gold Stars: 173
A disappointing day. Not sure many can be proud of their day’s work bar maybe Conteh who is a very good addition.

Vernam gives you a 7/10 performance one game in five and that isn’t good enough for a starter in a team with serious promotion ambitions. He was easily the most underwhelming signing of the window and I’ve seen nothing to change my mind up to now.

I’d guess we’re still looking for a left back and you’d hope probably a wide forward or two too.
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 9:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Chalky

That was Daniel Crowley who we signed in June  when he was released  by Morecambe at the end of last season,he was MOM for me and gave his all

Bit of an unsung hero today and one I've not really paid much attention to when I've seen you the last couple of seasons but your boy Palmer was quality in the middle all afternoon. Creating space for everyone time and time again, not giving the ball away, winning tackles. Kept you ticking all match. He was MOTM for me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 9:20pm
Champagne Drinker
So...in terms of positives today...Eastwood made some decent saves, Rose took his only real chance, as did Clifton, Rodgers and Conteh continue to look very good, the rain on the way out of the ground didn't last very long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 95
paulgtfc
August 12, 2023, 9:20pm
Never lost at the old Wembley!
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Notts C were there for the taking and all 5 goals were bad ones to concede.  With all the space afforded to Michee 2H, would have been interesting to see how Chas would’ve got on down that side instead of Harry.  At 3-2 County seemed to know we didn’t have the guile to get a 3rd and not even a grandstand finish.

As others said, Chas n Hunt did little and Eisa was anonymous in the hole. If only McAtee was there..

Funniest moment was seeing McGoldrick go inside two of our players like they didn’t exist and then shank an aimless cross field pass straight out of play

Top effort by Conteh to walk the length of the touch line afterwards to acknowledge our support. Seems a top man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 95
Son of Cod
August 12, 2023, 9:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from paulgtfc

Top effort by Conteh to walk the length of the touch line afterwards to acknowledge our support. Seems a top man.

Yep that was a nice touch. Rodgers was pretty much straight down the tunnel by contrast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.