Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,006 views. Print
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
gtfc_chris
August 14, 2023, 1:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,465
Gold Stars: 114
Obviously for us it's all just an opinions business, but I think there's a huge overreaction so early on.

I thought we started very brightly, earning a corner inside of 10 seconds and for the first 5-10 minutes we looked comfortable.

Our first goal didn't come against the run of play but I'd say County were on the ascendancy at that point and the goal only solidified that and from there up until half time they were a different class to us and showed why many have them tipped to be up there.

Even being the better side by some margin in terms of maintaining possession and probing forward, I don't recall them being through on goal or having a huge amount of 'clear cut' chances.

Our second goal definitely came against the run of play and I didn't get excited about what that meant, it was very evident County were going to be a continued threat and that's exactly how it panned out in the second half and I think they were deserved winners.

I thought from 70/75 minutes we became the better side in terms of keeping the ball again but we didn't really do enough to trouble the keeper. A couple of shots from range narrowly past the post but Stone didn't really get his gloves warm.

Even during this period though it was notable that they'd taken Bostock, McGoldrick, Crowley and Jones off, four players who I thought we outstanding along with Nemane. Had they stayed on I'm not sure we would have enjoyed the lions share of the ball.

Personally, I'm not reading anything into this defeat from a Grimsby perspective, I'm looking at it how well I think County played. They have defensive frailty and a risky game with how they move the ball but I think over the course of the season it will benefit them more than it will hinder them and I enjoyed watching them in truth.

For us, we simply got outdone by a very capable team. It's happened before and it will again. I didn't see that game as being one where we have been completely awful like Barrow or Swindon away last season. There's still work to do of course and with Salford and Mansfield coming up we have another two very challenging fixtures that we'll have to up our game if we want something from.

PH and the players will no doubt want to get those three points ASAP to ease what already appears to be significant pressure after two games in the league without a win but, again on a personal note, so long as we don't contribute to our downfall by being awful and we manage a few goals then I'm not going to hit any panic buttons if we don't.

To give you some historical evidence of why I won't panic:

19th August 2021 - Mansfield are 3rd in the league having W2, D1, L0.
05th October 2021 - Mansfield are 22nd in the league having W2, D3, L5.
Final League Position: 7th.

The league is so tough and there will be highs and lows for most teams (including those who go on to promotion) and nothing will be decided after four games. Mid-season non-league and our bad run hindered us but wouldn't have affected winning the league and in the play-offs you can only do what you can do on the day - which we did.

If we're all 'football people' here then we should all know that regardless of how good/bad you judge us to have been it's a season game and much can change.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 14, 2023, 2:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
After our summer transfer activity most on here were, and I’m sure many still are, confident of an improvement on last season’s league placing and the play offs a real possibility. All of a sudden we have 7 out of 8 games against the most fancied sides and we will struggle to get a win. If we have any real ambition of getting in the top 7 we need to be beating a number of these sides otherwise it’s a season of mediocrity that awaits and not one of continuous improvement.

What I don’t understand is the apparent change in tactics from the Lincoln friendly to that witnessed in the two league games. Against Lincoln we had a high press and continually got numbers in the box when delivering crosses whereas we are now, in the majority of cases, retreating to the half way line and defending from there whilst Rose is often isolated up front. It just feels like once again we worry too much about the opposition and don’t rely on our strengths letting them worry about us.

We also ended up on Saturday with a left hand side composing, Efete, Clifton and Vernam none of whom are left footed so we have no balance particularly going forward where all three have to cut inside to get on their stronger foot allowing teams time to reorganise and reducing our attacking threat considerably.

Early days but we need to be winning at least one of our home matches this week to help keep player and supporters confident that we are on the right path.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 95
lew chaterleys lover
August 14, 2023, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
After our summer transfer activity most on here were, and I’m sure many still are, confident of an improvement on last season’s league placing and the play offs a real possibility. All of a sudden we have 7 out of 8 games against the most fancied sides and we will struggle to get a win. If we have any real ambition of getting in the top 7 we need to be beating a number of these sides otherwise it’s a season of mediocrity that awaits and not one of continuous improvement.

What I don’t understand is the apparent change in tactics from the Lincoln friendly to that witnessed in the two league games. Against Lincoln we had a high press and continually got numbers in the box when delivering crosses whereas we are now, in the majority of cases, retreating to the half way line and defending from there whilst Rose is often isolated up front. It just feels like once again we worry too much about the opposition and don’t rely on our strengths letting them worry about us.

We also ended up on Saturday with a left hand side composing, Efete, Clifton and Vernam none of whom are left footed so we have no balance particularly going forward where all three have to cut inside to get on their stronger foot allowing teams time to reorganise and reducing our attacking threat considerably.

Early days but we need to be winning at least one of our home matches this week to help keep player and supporters confident that we are on the right path.

I agree with all of that but it is also the lack of excitement and aggressive attacking intent that might get on people's nerves. If we are pragmatic and grind out results fans won't worry about it, but if it is turgid and not winning then people will feel aggrieved.

Early days but I hope we see signs tomorrow of some gelling and getting on the front foot to excite the crowd.
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 95
HerveJosse
August 15, 2023, 1:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

Simple explaination really against Lincoln under21s you can dictate how the game is played out against teams at or above your level you cant
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 95
Lincoln Mariner 56
August 15, 2023, 3:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,696
Gold Stars: 79
Quoted from HerveJosse

Simple explaination really against Lincoln under21s you can dictate how the game is played out against teams at or above your level you cant

But you can dictate how you want to play. When Wimbledon came they often left four men in forward positions whereas we get all ten back behind the ball. If we had more attacking intent and committed men forward, trusting the defence and defensive midfield player to do their jobs, we would undoubtedly create more scoring opportunities we then just need to take them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 95
HerveJosse
August 15, 2023, 5:55pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

But you can dictate how you want to play. When Wimbledon came they often left four men in forward positions whereas we get all ten back behind the ball. If we had more attacking intent and committed men forward, trusting the defence and defensive midfield player to do their jobs, we would undoubtedly create more scoring opportunities we then just need to take them.

Never going to happen while PH is manager
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 95
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.