Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Just Back well on the train  (merged)

This thread currently has 12,002 views. Print
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
sonofmadeleymariner
August 12, 2023, 5:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +20 / -9
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 37
Well that was excrement. Can I get refund on my Walsall ticket?

Same old same old, under Hurst isn't it. Play high pressing free flowing attack football in a nice 433 that turned into a 442 when we were defending. We looked really good and Hurst had actually nearly convinced me maybe we were in for a good season.

No back to the usual slow, deep defensive football and no plan B insight except for like for like subs and a slight rejigger of who plays in what spot.

3 poor goals to concede which we should have done better. Communication mix up for the 1st, 2nd the shot never should have come in for the lucky deflection and we left 2 men unmarked at the back post for the 3rd.

Same as last season coming folks a long hard season and I don't see  an FA Cup miricle coming either to warm the cockles either.

I don't mind Roy Keane making £60,000 a week. I was making the same when I was playing. The only difference was I was printing my own - Mickey Thomas

The area you are trying to protect at corners is the goal - Chris Kamara

I once said Gazza's IQ was less than his shirt number and he asked me: What's an IQ? - George Best
Logged Offline
Private Message
davmariner
August 12, 2023, 5:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 79
Need to go back to 3-5-2 which worked well in the second half of the season. Wide players aren’t doing enough to warrant changing the system to suit 4 at the back with wingers.

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 95
mariner91
August 12, 2023, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,654
Gold Stars: 262
Who’s going to play as wing back on the left when our left sided defenders aren’t even trusted to be full backs?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 95
headingly_mariner
August 12, 2023, 5:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,377
Gold Stars: 116
I thought we played well and came out on the wrong side of a game that could've gone either way.

Two good sides, different but both good sides at this level.

That deflected goal really changed the game.

Thought Conteh and Rose were excellent. Not sure I believe the hype about Mullarkey. Great assist but got absolutley roasted by Jones.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 5:53pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Not entirely sure what to make of it all.
We started well, scored a very clever goal but just didn't build on it. We
surrendered the midfield allowing County go get the ball out wide to two very good wingers with the result that an equaliser was a near certainty.
Against the run of play we got our noses back in front and you'd think they'd learn...but they didn't.
The second equaliser had a massive slice of fortune about it but getting the ball into the box at this level can cause all sorts of mayhem.
The winner came because they had someone prepared to gamble on a cross-something we just don't have.
The last twenty minutes was frustration personified. Our approach play was laboured-far too slow which let a poor County defence off the hook.
Positives? Rose looks like a good acquisition. Conteh played well and Rodgers again delivered with Waterfall. Couple of excellent saves from Eastwood.
Negatives- not convinced we had a plan. Eisa (Sp) was an absolute passenger and very sadly Glennon needs to be taken out of the firing line. For the third match in a row the opposition targeted our left side.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 95
Madeleymariner
August 12, 2023, 5:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,059
Gold Stars: 50
On train. too negative till losing sat back till they scored. when we closed them down and they had to hoof it they hardly did anything. When we sat off they just pinged it about in midfield till one winger was free and away they went. They had at least 5 players quicker than any of ours and both wingers had ability to beat there man then cross usually into the danger areas. We are way behind Notts looking at that display today
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 95
barralad
August 12, 2023, 6:06pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Merge please admin.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 95
Mariner93er
August 12, 2023, 6:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,738
Gold Stars: 28
Said this in midweek but teams clocked on to Glennon midway through last season and have been targeting our left back area ever since. I'll be disappointed if there isn't a new left back in by the end of the window. Looked like he went off injured rather than was pulled, but it was a mercy for us all.

Overall, a hard game to access as Notts are clearly the Bielsa Leeds of league 2. Fair play, it's one of those games were I was envious that they get to watch football like that every week. Which pains me to say as I'm a Hurst fan, but I don't think we've ever really had a DNA under him other than being industrious and hard working. It's becoming quite grating if I'm being honest, I'd just really like to be entertained every now and again.

If you take out all of their possession, there probably wasn't too much difference between the chances both sides created - at least that's what my Newcastle mate who went with me told me, so I'll cling to that. But it felt like our only plan was to wait until Notts copulated up or parted, which they duly did on numerous occasions.

I can't judge whether it's actually a respectable result or not, as I have a lingering feeling Notts will shop a hell of a lot of goals and struggle to challenge this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 95
Chrisblor
August 12, 2023, 6:17pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,853
Gold Stars: 235
I'm going to blow my lid if I ever have to watch Efete at left back again. He's the most comically right footed player I've seen in my entire life and simply cannot play on the left. I know Glennon's really struggling for form right now but ffs we've got Amos in the squad who isn't exactly a world beater but can do a job and doesn't constantly mess up attacking moves by slowing down cutting in because he doesn't have a left foot

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 95
Hagrid
August 12, 2023, 6:21pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,422
Gold Stars: 534
Quoted from Chrisblor
I'm going to blow my lid if I ever have to watch Efete at left back again. He's the most comically right footed player I've seen in my entire life and simply cannot play on the left. I know Glennon's really struggling for form right now but ffs we've got Amos in the squad who isn't exactly a world beater but can do a job and doesn't constantly mess up attacking moves by slowing down cutting in because he doesn't have a left foot

Thats harsh. I thought he did allright considering he is not a left back, and was better than Glennon who needs taking out the 11. Amos in on Tuesday.

Vernam has shown nothing and a 3 year deal is looking terrible buisness.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 95
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back well on the train  (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.