Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 473 Guests

New roof

This thread currently has 29,066 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
sam gy
August 1, 2023, 10:47am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Dunno about it being a "nice" ten min walk...

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 238
IlkleyMariner
August 1, 2023, 10:54am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,038
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Mappers

Surely the best parking is at the ice house always empty , I know probably not for the elderly or physically less able but for most a nice ten min walk .

Google maps says 19 minutes walk and about 1 mile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 238
rancido
August 1, 2023, 10:58am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from diehardmariner

Surely the point is about a matchday specific park and ride system, not a day-to-day one.  

The club have (and will continue to have) data on season ticket holders, of which they now form the absolute majority of those going.  That data could be used to determine where people are coming in from, use that to strategically set-up park and ride systems.  Even without using the data you would think for those who will be travelling in from outside the Grimsby/Clee boundaries, you've only really got three routes.  1) A46 - set one up at Grimsby College/Nuns Corner, huge car park which isn't used on weekends.  2) A180 - Surely to god there's something around the Pyewipe we could utilise, even if it's not exactly the same spot every week.  There's huge variation in how full the massive depots are for new cars.  3) A16 - I suspect it's the lesser flow of GTFC traffic of the 3, Tollbar's got a decent sized car park.

Closer to the ground for those who will want to drive in or it's more convenient, it's just about making best use of what's around us.  The aforementioned Ice House. Grant Street car park, which is virtually empty from September through to April, even in the height of summer it seems vastly under-utilised.  Both 10 minute walks from the ground.  Easy enough to do an online booking system for them or just have a bloke on the gate charging £2.  

Yeah, at the minute you can find street parking as you get closer to the ground if you get there early enough.  But last season tested this, I suspect this season will be the same if not worse.  If, big if, we do increase capacity and attendance then we will need to think differently about these things.    It's not impossible either.  Parking should not be the motivator behind a stadium move in my opinion, especially when there are options available to us.

I fail to see how a match specific park and ride scheme for approx 30 times a year could ever be financially viable. Even if you could locate a site for the parking aspect , you then have to get a company on board for the ride aspect.
The only options available are either existing car parks or car parks attached to private companies that you would have to get on board to make it successful. If the existing car parks were an option then surely fans would use the? As an example, Grant Street car park is only a 5 minute walk from the bus stop at Cross Street ( opposite Typsy Tavern ). Several buses stop there that go by the ground. There are car parks off Freeman Street with a regular No 3 bus service that goes past the ground.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 238
DB
August 1, 2023, 11:15am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,053
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from Mappers

I know we are talking about capacity increase a lot to please non regulars and stayaway fans , but surely improving the experience for regularw  is the priority (which has already been done to some degree ) I think continuing to do that with a new PA system and the replacement of the roofs and none impeded views would be a starting point , we have the use of the majority of the osmond for 70% of the season and would get it for probably 50% of the time even in league 1 - increase capacity by 200 or 300 which seems relatively easy on the face of it ; see if we regularly fill BP with improved matchday experience and go from there .

There are plenty of tickets available for Wimbledon
Will be loads for Salford
I think we are maybe overthinking the capacity as a problem atm when in probability it won't be all season unless we do really well and there is in fact 2k glory seekers kicking around .

I don't know how many plenty is but as of now, the ticket site shows 3 in the upper, 2 in the pontoon, 103 in the main ( nearly all restricted views ) and about 200 in the osmond. About 308 in all so it looks like a full house to me; less ST's who don't turn up.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 238
diehardmariner
August 1, 2023, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from rancido

I fail to see how a match specific park and ride scheme for approx 30 times a year could ever be financially viable. Even if you could locate a site for the parking aspect , you then have to get a company on board for the ride aspect.
The only options available are either existing car parks or car parks attached to private companies that you would have to get on board to make it successful. If the existing car parks were an option then surely fans would use the? As an example, Grant Street car park is only a 5 minute walk from the bus stop at Cross Street ( opposite Typsy Tavern ). Several buses stop there that go by the ground. There are car parks off Freeman Street with a regular No 3 bus service that goes past the ground.

I didn't say use park and ride for Grant Street etc.  That was suggested as an option for those who want to drive in as close to the ground as they can.  Regardless, a park and ride goes straight to the ground.  If you're getting the 9X at Nunns Corner it goes bottom about mammary to get to the ground, stopping every 2 minutes to pick others up.  That's the point of park and ride, it's in and out quicker than anything else.

It's not about financial viability, it's about exploring options.  If the barrier is that we would have to get companies on board to use their car parks then we might as well just give up.  You only find an answer if you ask the question.  You can't seriously tell me that every company wouldn't be interested in letting out their unused car-park for, as you say, 30 times a year for a little bit of extra revenue.

I'm not claiming it's the solution.  I'm just saying we'll have to think differently if do end up, as I'm sure we all hope we do, more successful and therefore with bigger gates.
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 238
diehardmariner
August 1, 2023, 11:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from Mappers

I know we are talking about capacity increase a lot to please non regulars and stayaway fans , but surely improving the experience for regularw  is the priority (which has already been done to some degree ) I think continuing to do that with a new PA system and the replacement of the roofs and none impeded views would be a starting point , we have the use of the majority of the osmond for 70% of the season and would get it for probably 50% of the time even in league 1 - increase capacity by 200 or 300 which seems relatively easy on the face of it ; see if we regularly fill BP with improved matchday experience and go from there .

There are plenty of tickets available for Wimbledon
Will be loads for Salford
I think we are maybe overthinking the capacity as a problem atm when in probability it won't be all season unless we do really well and there is in fact 2k glory seekers kicking around .

I don't disagree that things need improving for the current fanbase.  I'm a bit miffed at the wooden additions to the Main Stand if I'm honest.  I think they're cheap bodge-jobs that impact more on the view than pictures let on.  The PA system is a joke, you might as well not bother with one such is the muffled sound that comes from it.

But I also think you can have more than one priority at the same time.

Only time will tell on the capacity/ticket/availability issue.
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 238
Northbank Mariner
August 1, 2023, 11:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from rancido

If you go to an established operator who the club already have a connection with (Acklams), ask them to build a business model and feasibility plan i have a feeling they'd come up with a profitable service to add to their already quite considerable portfolio..
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 238
grimps
August 1, 2023, 3:07pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,151
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Norseman

We never got well over 10000 last time we were in Div 2 (championship)

Neither did Bolton , Barnsley , Bradford , Birmingham etc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 238
crusty ole pie
August 1, 2023, 3:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
We don’t need a park and ride just a bloody good bus operator that parks up half a dozen buses going each way after the matches and not just having the timetabled buses
Stagecoach is an absolute joke not interested in putting buses on when there is demand
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 238
WOZOFGRIMSBY
August 1, 2023, 3:32pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,978
Gold Stars: 185
Could there be provisions to make Harrington street a kind of bus lane (football traffic only*) from 1-6ish for weekend home games 🤷🏻‍♂️. Totally realise that this is out of the clubs hands

And also wouldn’t it make sense for new clee train station to be utilised a lot more by the train companies

*residents excepted

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 238
24 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.