Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 84 Guests

New roof

This thread currently has 29,070 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
MarinerRob
August 1, 2023, 9:59pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Mappers
Yeah i don't know about that way Rob , maybe the sea wall shortcut ? I have not walked down there in about 20 years remember used to go in the pub that was on the main strip where the boy racers frequented that was equally as long ago , don't know if it's still there .

I usually walk to the ground that way and it still takes about 20 minutes. But that is probably me reminiscing, about as a child back in the 60's walking from the pier right down to the docks, which is making me take so long.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 238
ska face
August 1, 2023, 10:09pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,781
Gold Stars: 851
There’s clearly an appetite for something to be done, on here at least. This is something the Trust should be picking up, otherwise there’s a danger that this becomes an ongoing issue and by the the time it comes for action to be taken it might end up being too late for any meaningful engagement with fans.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 238
moosey_club
August 1, 2023, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,298
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from NorthseaMariner
The Council did ask the club to move in 1992 I believe, but have done nothing to assist since then.

Except grant planning permission for Great Coates, offer them land at Peaks Parkway for pretty much sod all, identify a list of other sites along the way none of which suited a certain party the clubs plans and a total lack of funding of course didn't help much 🙄 ...neither did employing consultants with a zero record of delivering anything to lead the project.
The original Great Coates was massively hampered by the Nimbys , not really the councils fault as they have to follow due process and did grant permission in the end.
Wanting to build a 12 -20k  stadium with virtually no cost to the club at all seemed to be dream scenario of a certain party....never feasible.
At least the new custodians have their heads screwed on regards that and aren't entertaining any chat or wasting resources trying to build castles in the sky and are focusing on achievables.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 238
RonMariner
August 1, 2023, 10:32pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from grimps

Neither did Bolton , Barnsley , Bradford , Birmingham etc

And we didn't have over 5,000 season ticket holders either.

We should have ambitions to grow our supporter base.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 238
Wedidntdidwe
August 1, 2023, 11:26pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +378
Gold Stars: 22
If Grimsby fans on the council aren't allowed to vote on football related issues ( vested interest) then the decisions are made by people who don't get it, totally screwing the club and fans over. I think the vested interest rule is applied wrongly by the council so unless that's changed nothing will change
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 238
Norseman
August 2, 2023, 12:06am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +277
Gold Stars: 48
Quoted from grimps

Neither did Bolton , Barnsley , Bradford , Birmingham etc

Do some research and you will find average attendances last year for all of those clubs were more than 10000 .Barnsley being the lowest at around 12000.Thats including Bolton being league 1 and Bradford league 2 .Both sides with the potential to double their already decent attendances in the championship
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 238
mariner91
August 2, 2023, 6:56am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from Norseman

Do some research and you will find average attendances last year for all of those clubs were more than 10000 .Barnsley being the lowest at around 12000.Thats including Bolton being league 1 and Bradford league 2 .Both sides with the potential to double their already decent attendances in the championship

Isn’t that the whole point? Those clubs didn’t get over 10,000 at games back in the 90s but football has moved on. Your assertion that we couldn’t get over 10,000 at games because we didn’t 30 years ago is a pointless comparison as proven by the aforementioned teams. Attendances at games are up in general. We currently can’t get over 10,000 at games for the very obvious fact that our ground can’t accommodate anything like that number. But if the ground was improved or we got a new one, there’s no reason to think we wouldn’t be able to. And certainly not because we didn’t get those numbers 30 years ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 238
It Bites
August 2, 2023, 7:05am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,207
Gold Stars: 266
We’ll soon find out how good the pontoon roof and the pitch are ….. it’s gonna pi££ it down on Saturday
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 238
jamesgtfc
August 2, 2023, 7:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Mappers

I know we are talking about capacity increase a lot to please non regulars and stayaway fans , but surely improving the experience for regularw  is the priority (which has already been done to some degree )
I think continuing to do that with a new PA system and the replacement of the roofs and none impeded views would be a starting point , we have the use of the majority of the osmond for 70% of the season and would get it for probably 50% of the time even in league 1 - increase capacity by 200 or 300 which seems relatively easy on the face of it ; see if we regularly fill BP with improved matchday experience and go from there .

There are plenty of tickets available for Wimbledon
Will be loads for Salford
I think we are maybe overthinking the capacity as a problem atm when in probability it won't be all season unless we do really well and there is in fact 2k glory seekers kicking around .

We need to do both, because improving the experience for regulars, makes the newcomers and part-timers more likely to come back.

If we just focus on what we have, which is a pretty much sold out BP that has very limited seats together with a decent view, what happens in 10 years, when some of todays regulars have moved away, work matchdays or no longer attending due to ill health or death? You end up with 10+ years of potential fans that aren't bothered and attendances start falling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 238
GollyGTFC
August 2, 2023, 7:58am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,056
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from Davec

That is very last minute.com, leaving them just over a week to find a company who has the availability to come out immediately and assess what needs to be done etc and then get it completed in such a short time frame

I can only assume the lack of notice come about due to sudden structural damage/failure of the roof?

I think you’re being kind. Surely if you require a safety certificate you get an independent expert in 6-8 weeks prior to do a mock audit. That’s pretty standard practice.

Then you have that timeframe to resolve any issues that have been found and you don’t get a bombshell landing 9 days before 1,800 customers are coming.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 149 - 238
24 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.