Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 358 Guests

New roof

This thread currently has 29,063 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mappers
July 31, 2023, 9:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,478
Gold Stars: 119
I've long come to the conclusion that the best location for us is in Cleethorpes- at BP.

It is big enough for any scenario in the next few years, capacities can be increased over time, we own the site with an iconic sea view, have the history and memories,  are on a train route and parking is no more of a problem than at any ground that cannot be alleviated with park and ride schemes if necessary.

I don't think we would need to buy any housing or anything like that, just make more of the existing footprint including the car park at the front.

We can improve a little or a lot at our own pace. If something truly dramatic happened ala a Bournemouth or Luton then that would be a different ball game, but I would stick with BP for the foreseeable.

Start by adding the 84 seats at the back of the Pontoon and then fill in the cage area with safe standing would be a start - nothing too dramatic 200 or 300 more capacity and then look at extending the main the full length of the pitch with a new roof , re- configuration and a decent disability section with a  new press box would probably take it up to 9.5k more than sufficient for league 1 , if we ever get any higher a fully rebuilt findus would provide ample capacity .

I think we have to accept we are staying long term and even though BP has it's flaws could be made into an excellent facility with a traditional twist - Fulham  & Portsmouth are doing the same on a bigger scale .

It's more a case of what we can do than what we can't .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 238
lew chaterleys lover
July 31, 2023, 9:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,760
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Mappers

Start by adding the 84 seats at the back of the Pontoon and then fill in the cage area with safe standing would be a start - nothing too dramatic 200 or 300 more capacity and then look at extending the main the full length of the pitch with a new roof , re- configuration and a decent disability section with a  new press box would probably take it up to 9.5k more than sufficient for league 1 , if we ever get any higher a fully rebuilt findus would provide ample capacity .

I think we have to accept we are staying long term and even though BP has it's flaws could be made into an excellent facility with a traditional twist - Fulham  & Portsmouth are doing the same on a bigger scale .

It's more a case of what we can do than what we can't .

I also imagine the owners would take the pragmatic decision that it is much more in their own hands what they can and cannot do with BP which they already own - subject to normal planning permissions and laws. The thought of working with all the interested parties looking for a new stadium site would give anybody a nervous breakdown even if they had the 30, 40 million pounds.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 238
HerveJosse
July 31, 2023, 10:04am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from DB

You seem to have missed my point, which was that some of these properties could have been bought many years ago when the purchase price was a fraction of what it is now. Any administration could have been carried out through an estate agent. It would have given Town another option instead of the 'Great Coates' location, or any other come to that.

If they were not needed then they could have been sold at current market values making a hefty profit.

As it is we have no hope, unless a rich benefactor comes forward, of building a new stadium and little land at BP to redevelop on.

Yes we could have bought Alf Common for £1000 if we had the foresight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 238
ska face
July 31, 2023, 10:11am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,778
Gold Stars: 851
How many different threads does this need to be discussed on?
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 238
grimps
July 31, 2023, 11:18am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,151
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from ska face

As many as possible now it had finally become obvious to most that our current ground isn’t suitable or big enough
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 238
Mappers
July 31, 2023, 11:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,478
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from grimps

As many as possible now it had finally become obvious to most that our current ground isn’t suitable or big enough

Don't - someone will say it's too big and we are punching above our weight in league 2 next .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 238
grimsby pete
July 31, 2023, 11:58am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
Bournemouth did ok in the prem. on gates of 12,500 .

We could get ,12,500 in at the park with a little planning.

So no need to move .

With the new training ground and a bit of thought on what we could do at the park on non match days.

We will be fine.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 238
LocalLadGTFC
July 31, 2023, 12:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 137
My Nan lived on Harrington Street and passed away a couple of years ago, she was always in regular contact with the club as she was always sending balls back round. She always kept one for me at Christmas however  

The club sent a nice boquet of flowers to the funeral and a nice card from the club, however her house was sold for around 80 thousand, if you estimate around 20 houses behind all at roughly the same price that's 1.6 million before any work has even been started. It's a non starter.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 67 - 238
diehardmariner
July 31, 2023, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from ska face

A thread for each seat that is no longer fit for purpose at BP.  By my reckoning, we've only got another 7899 threads to be hi-jacked.  The Word Association Thread must be shitting bricks.

On a serious note though, whilst it's somewhat tiresome to see everything coming back to to the same points, it does feel to me that this shows how much of an issue our ground is - certainly to the fans anyway.  It's probably more the public facing perception than anything else, but I don't get the feeling that 1878 share that same level of concern.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 238
diehardmariner
July 31, 2023, 12:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,698
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from grimsby pete
Bournemouth did ok in the prem. on gates of 12,500 .

We could get ,12,500 in at the park with a little planning.

So no need to move .

With the new training ground and a bit of thought on what we could do at the park on non match days.

We will be fine.

We just need a Russian billionaire to bankroll us/get us up to our eyeballs in debt then.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 238
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.