Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 100 Guests

New roof

This thread currently has 29,059 views. Print
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
RonMariner
July 31, 2023, 3:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,818
Gold Stars: 226
Barrow have erected a couple of new stands in the close season. One on the West terrace that added 371 seats, and one in the north east corner that increases away seating by 522 seats.

I can't help but think there is space in the open corners for at least 1,000 extra seats. Any replacement of the Main stand would almost certainly lead to a temporary reduction in capacity, maybe even for an entire season. So to my mind, you put the extra seats in the corners first, then address the Main stand.

But something needs to be done. We are a club going places, with great momentum. I can see us at the top end of L1 before long, and there is no reason why we shouldn't expect gates for big matches to have the potential to be well over 10,000.  That capacity and more could be accommodated at BP if the ground is improved. Certainlly a more realistic option than dreaming about £50 million new stadium.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 238
Poojah
July 31, 2023, 3:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,756
Gold Stars: 1,509
Quoted from grimps

Waiting 4 years to increase our capacity will leave us well behind

As has been alluded to above, I think the pragmatic path is the one the club will ultimately tread on this matter.

After Saturday, we will have the luxury of the larger part of the Osmond for all but 1 of our next 12 league home games, which takes us beyond the half-way point of the season. That’s roughly another 900 seats beyond our traditional home capacity.

This gives us a pretty healthy period of time to gauge how the team is going to do this season, and what subsequent demand for tickets is going to be like, without a great risk of routinely exhausting capacity for home admission. It’s realistically at this point only that extra capacity is going to be necessary, and that’s assuming things are going well on the pitch.

I’d like to think that the necessary planning will have been done to allow swift action should it be needed, but the fortuitous way the fixtures have panned out means that keeping our powder dry for the time being is probably tue right approach.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 238
The Yard Dog
July 31, 2023, 3:38pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

There are 13 houses on Harrington Street between the two Main Stand turnstiles. At Championship level funding that wouldn't be a non-starter, maybe even League 1 level with new investment. All of that area of housing could be demolished and additional height created in that part of a new stand with Corporate at the top.

Longer term a few acquisitions nearest the ground at the bottom of Imperial and Con Avenue would help redevelop on the Findus side.

Then the Findus stand was being built, players changing were meant to be to move over to the Findus, however when it was being built they was problems with the foundations.  On paper ideas sound feasible but in reality not that easy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 238
crusty ole pie
July 31, 2023, 4:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
My mate who knows about all things building wise and knows Bp well assured me that rebuilding the main stand and taking it back to the ground perimeter would significantly increase the capacity along with extending it towards the pontoon is the best option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 238
Marinerdeano
July 31, 2023, 4:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from crusty ole pie
My mate who knows about all things building wise and knows Bp well assured me that rebuilding the main stand and taking it back to the ground perimeter would significantly increase the capacity along with extending it towards the pontoon is the best option

There's been a lot of talk about purchasing houses behind the Main Stand (easier said than done) but what about moving a new main stand forward a bit and moving the pitch more towards the Findus (slightly narrower walkway at the front of the Findus)?  You'll also notice that the Pontoon is also slightly closer to the Findus than the Main Stand side so would work well with this.  Having said that I agree, there is room for a decent sized full length new stand.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 238
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
July 31, 2023, 4:55pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 122
Quoted from crusty ole pie

I agree about extending it to the perimeter with seating would add a justifiable number of extra seats, as at the moment the Main Stand has a wide walkway behind it, which could have extra seating added, whereas the walkways would then all be undercover, without the need to extend the footprint of the owned land. Saying that, I'm guessing the neighbours would all complain about the extra size of the stand and the loss of a certain amount of sunlight etc etc

The same could be done with the Pontoon AND Osmond Stands if it was looking for a relatively easy option to add extra seating throughout.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 238
forza ivano
July 31, 2023, 5:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,282
Gold Stars: 266
does anyone know what the capacity of Blundell Park is?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 238
It Bites
July 31, 2023, 5:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,206
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from forza ivano
does anyone know what the capacity of Blundell Park is?

Post of the week is won 🥇😂😂
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 238
Simon
July 31, 2023, 6:00pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +234
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Hang on. So you are suggesting there are actual supporters that, ironically, don’t support the club because of the ground? That’s a bit like saying that those supporters only go to certain games, such as ……play off finals, games against premier league teams etc.

I know of someone who was a season ticket holder for over 20 years that can no longer attend games because of the parking issue, blue badge holder but still cant get parked close enough to the ground

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 238
lew chaterleys lover
July 31, 2023, 6:34pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Simon

I know of someone who was a season ticket holder for over 20 years that can no longer attend games because of the parking issue, blue badge holder but still cant get parked close enough to the ground

I'm sure anomalies like this sad case will be among those things addressed as we go forward.  Like I said earlier perhaps a park and ride scheme to be dropped next to the ground.

Lots and lots of stuff will be in the mix. Personally I love the idea of a revamped BP, at whatever level. I am excited to see how smart the stadium looks like on Saturday.
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 238
24 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New roof

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.