Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New roof
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

New roof

This thread currently has 28,826 views. Print
24 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
August 4, 2023, 10:11am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Essential maintenance required Essential maintenance completed. Well done all JSF and his ladder not required. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 238
diehardmariner
August 4, 2023, 10:14am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
Ultimately it's done in time.  No-one is harmed and no-one is going to get wet/turn up and find the Pontoon is deemed unsafe and having to sit pitchside and double up as a ball-boy/girl.  The sight of the Pontoon without a roof was as equally exciting as it was disturbing.  Be a ballache to clean but a stand with a clear roof would be something special.

But this should be a learning curve for the club and I'm sure it will be.  It was close to the bone and I dread to think what would have happened had we not managed to get a roof sorted.  Equally so the 'structural improvements' to the Main Stand, whatever has happened should be reflected on and improved on.  

There's some slack due here.  1878 haven't, to my knowledge anyway, run a business with a 124-year-old operating base, one that's also seem a sustained period of neglect before they came into ownership.  There's probably not that many people who do have experience of dealing with a ground that's falling apart.  It might also be that when the bathwater went out with a lot of staff, some of that sticky plaster type knowledge went with them.  Again, learning point.

There are things 1878 do very well and I think there are things they will, if they're honest, look back on and think they need to do better with next time.  We can all accept that.   I think their style is not one that will point out the bloody obvious at times that excrement is falling apart now because Fenty did intercourse all with it for 20 years and he kept everything so close to his chest that very few people knew what was going on.  I can respect that level of dignified approach to a certain degree, but I equally so wouldn't mind flexing on it and in turn cutting themselves a bit of slack.

The other thing is they're quite guarded and don't give a lot away with what's going, especially around the ground. Again, that's not a bad thing.  But it opens themselves up to criticism, or should I say their critiques.  They've hinted at it via the points about extra funding becoming available next year, but would them openly coming out and saying 'we're going to absolutely try and drag any significant repairs out knowing it'll effectively be free next summer' cut a little slack?  Definitely not their style.

One final point, I think they perhaps impressed too soon with their initial ground improvements.  The removal of the metal barriers at the front of the Upper as their first big statement was quite something.  I wonder if that set the expectations too high for the rest of the ground, in comparison everything else (both in terms of the improvement and the timescale) hasn't quite had that wow factor.
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 238
bedders78
August 4, 2023, 11:11am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Civvy at last
It’s just a shame it wasn’t three years ago. What a sight,  John on the roof with hammer and nails.  In this weather.

The image of a shirtless JSF going at it hammer and tongs on the pontoon roof in the rain is not a pleasant one

Grim Outlook exile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 238
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 4, 2023, 11:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from bedders78

The image of a shirtless JSF going at it hammer and tongs on the pontoon roof in the rain is not a pleasant one

Shouting at the storm like a Poundland King Lear.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 238
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 4, 2023, 11:39am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from bedders78

Mrs Fenty has just called me to confirm that a shirtless JSF going at it hammer and tongs is, indeed, not a pleasant sight. But the counselling is going well and she is hopeful that the dosage of medication can be reduced soon.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 238
GrimPol
August 4, 2023, 11:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69

It's a lovely idea but, as GTFC plan for their stands to be used for 150+ years, an extra 3 months is unlikely to impact significantly on it.

I can foresee the GTFC owner in 2173 explaining to fans that the Ponny roof was 'upgraded' in 2023 as we prepare for our first game defending the Champions League that we won in 2172.

The Safety Advisory Group are a Local Authority thing (NELC) for events. They query a point that they want to sort or else no one can sit in that stand. Hats off to the board for the quick response and in a difficult weather window.!
From memory, the JF board forgot to renew the alcohol licence and had to wait 3 months for the next application.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 238
Mappers
August 4, 2023, 11:41am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from bedders78

His good lady may disagree
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 238
ginnywings
August 4, 2023, 4:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,143
Gold Stars: 548
Don't know what all the panic is about. Roof sheeting is one of the easiest jobs in the construction industry.

A week to do it was more than enough, even with the bad weather.

Aint half some drama queens about.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 238
Limerick Mariner
August 4, 2023, 4:51pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,701
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from ska face

What difference would that make? There’s only been one Ops & Safety Manager since Nick Dale disappeared, unless you think the commercial dept or ticket office staff looked after the roof as well

From experience of dealing with LA Building Inspectors recently I’d put my money on this being lateness in their inspection and reporting regime rather than GTFC. Staff and skill shortages are rampant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 218 - 238
BobbyCummingsTackle
August 4, 2023, 6:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

From experience of dealing with LA Building Inspectors recently I’d put my money on this being lateness in their inspection and reporting regime rather than GTFC. Staff and skill shortages are rampant.

F*cking Hell! It's not surprising this was a mess if our building inspectors are based in Los Angeles.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 238
24 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › New roof

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.