Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brighton away
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 67 Guests

Brighton away

This thread currently has 38,506 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
TownSNAFU5
March 3, 2023, 10:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
There is always the risk of an early goal against us.  

We generally do well against better teams.

We only conceded very late away to Palace.  And that was with 10 men.. We did not concede at Everton or Middlesbrough.
A
We won at Liverpool, Everton, Villa and Middlesbrough. We came from behind to beat Liverpool.

We were well-beaten at Chelsea.  

Brighton will be a very tough challenge. They do however, have a history of being by lower-league teams in cups.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 252
nickjhs
March 4, 2023, 1:02am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.00
Approval: +28
Quoted from grimps
I’d have been a lot happier with this draw 15-20 years ago when Brighton was as shite as us 😂

Hey 26 years ago and the positions were reversed. 25 years ago had we been relegated out of the league I don't think we would have survived, no ground etc. Unlike you guys who have managed to go through that hell, get back into the league and are now playing in the 1/4 finals. Hats off to you. Its funny though the same year we drew to stay in the league you got relegated from Div 1, and our fortunes continued in opposite ways. Helped in no small part by us having a local, life long fan who also happens to be rather well off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 252
Ashby mariner
March 4, 2023, 6:42am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / -2
Approval: +471
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from nickjhs

Hey 26 years ago and the positions were reversed. 25 years ago had we been relegated out of the league I don't think we would have survived, no ground etc. Unlike you guys who have managed to go through that hell, get back into the league and are now playing in the 1/4 finals. Hats off to you. Its funny though the same year we drew to stay in the league you got relegated from Div 1, and our fortunes continued in opposite ways. Helped in no small part by us having a local, life long fan who also happens to be rather well off.

Really looking forward to coming to Brighton. It's amazing to think we are in the  last  8. Im glad you Fulham and Brentford are doing so well this season.
I remember when I was about 16 and going with my mates to support you at Scunthorpe away I think it was 1996 the season you just stayed up. We sat in the Brighton end. I've always had a soft spot for your club after that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 252
aldi_01
March 4, 2023, 7:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Sometimes it worth looking at a dear the other way.

Of course it would’ve been great to get a northern team or indeed, anyone at home but if you think about it, everyone probably wanted to draw town. Lowest team left, technically the worst team in the draw. Deep down any of the other 7 would’ve been buzzing drawing us at home.

That said, any half sensible fan will know it’s the cup and sometimes, occasionally it doesn’t go to plan. Brighton fans, the sensible ones remember where they came from and their history in cup competitions is no better than ours so they’ll want to win. That in itself should make for a decent atmosphere and potentially a decent game.

Football is funny though, as I’ve said elsewhere, some heroic defending, a stoic and dedicated performance from Clifton, a worldy from Mcatee or some flipping moronic play from a Brighton player and who knows, we might just go and do it.

Thinking about it, the way football works, most folk will want us to win, not Brighton. Everyone loves the underdog…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 252
HertsGTFC
March 4, 2023, 9:17am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,085
Gold Stars: 238
Quoted from nickjhs

That’s the difference - you moved into a period where your owner came in and did the right things for the right reason. Our owner just saw a property fortune pot of gold at the end of a relocation rainbow.

Yes from a financial point of view Man U away would have been great but this is definitely a great draw too as it keeps the focus on our club “magic of the cup” etc.. which will despite patchy league form help with season ticket sales etc..and maybe even a bit around recruitment.

Maybe just maybe the VAR gods will once again be kind to us.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 252
Abdul19
March 4, 2023, 10:30am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from nickjhs

Just to be pedantic, you were relegated as well that day     (but went straight back up as we went down again!)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 252
Poojah
March 4, 2023, 10:34am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,046
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from Abdul19

Just to be pedantic, you were relegated as well that day     (but went straight back up as we went down again!)

I think he’s referring to when they stayed in the football league on the last day of the season in 1997, the same day (or possibly the day before) we beat Southend 4-0 on the last day of the season but went down anyway.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 252
The Caterham Mariner
March 4, 2023, 10:40am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +106
Knickers to History!!
Concentrate on making History living for today
UTM
To infinity  and beyond...

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 252
The Caterham Mariner
March 4, 2023, 10:41am
Exile and Proud..
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +106
Knickers to History!!
Concentrate on making History living for today
UTM
To infinity  and beyond...

An Exile and Proud  !! UTM
Mariners Trust Life Member.
In the words of my Uncle Fred "You can take the man outta of Grimsby BUT  you can't take the Grimsby!  Out the man!"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 252
Abdul19
March 4, 2023, 10:46am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.40
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 220
Quoted from Poojah

I think he’s referring to when they stayed in the football league on the last day of the season in 1997, the same day (or possibly the day before) we beat Southend 4-0 on the last day of the season but went down anyway.

Oh yeah, the league, gotcha!

Carry on, nothing to see here  

(although we did go up the next season  )

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 252
26 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brighton away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.