Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brighton away
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 58 Guests

Brighton away

This thread currently has 38,513 views. Print
26 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Brighton Trawler
March 3, 2023, 8:35am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +70
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
I don't think it's any disrespect to Brighton that it's not the draw we wanted. It's a great place and will be a brilliant weekend but it's a very long journey for most and whilst they're not one of the historically bigger clubs they're also very, very good.

We get that……not the glamour of playing Man U/City and also a long old trip (we have our fair share of those being down here). At least it’s unlikely to be an evening ko.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 252
grimps
March 3, 2023, 9:56am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,178
Gold Stars: 46
I’d have been a lot happier with this draw 15-20 years ago when Brighton was as shite as us 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 252
lew chaterleys lover
March 3, 2023, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,814
Gold Stars: 239
The only elite team us oldies have not seen us play against, and beat(!) is Manchester United.

We hoped that with such relatively short odds the quarter final would be the time - Manchester United away and a fortune in the bag.

Brighton away will be a fantastic day for the nearly 5k who go, we can see first hand a club who for decades were in a similar position to us but went from playing at the Withdean to the incredible Amex and the riches of the Premier league.

Several clubs have gone from rags to riches, and we will try to emulate some of them in the years ahead and it will be interesting to see Brighton and probably go wow.

All journeys start with the first step as they say and we have already started on our journey wherever it takes us.

Private Message
Reply: 132 - 252
Mappers
March 3, 2023, 10:12am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.40
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,570
Gold Stars: 120
Maybe I am in the minoity but I see Brighton as a great draw , if we had got City or Utd it would be more than likely a heavy defeat without a dream of winning ,Brighton although loads better than Saints wont tonk us and if we can stay in the game they might get nervy and we could have a small chance of another upset .

The only others I was wanting were either Sheff u away (which would be carnage ,or another champ team at home)

Maybe thats because I have only ever been to Old Trafford and the Etihad as a neutral though and found them to be plastic experiences with too much of the premier league style vertical passing which Southampton also seemed to enjoy even though they didnt get anywhere .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 252
immariner
March 3, 2023, 10:36am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Mappers
Maybe I am in the minoity but I see Brighton as a great draw , if we had got City or Utd it would be more than likely a heavy defeat without a dream of winning ,Brighton although loads better than Saints wont tonk us and if we can stay in the game they might get nervy and we could have a small chance of another upset .

The only others I was wanting were either Sheff u away (which would be carnage ,or another champ team at home)

Maybe thats because I have only ever been to Old Trafford and the Etihad as a neutral though and found them to be plastic experiences with too much of the premier league style vertical passing which Southampton also seemed to enjoy even though they didnt get anywhere .

Man Utd or Man City away would have been the best draws, simply for the moolah and in Man Utd's case, not having played them in pure yonks. Next would have been Sheff Utd at home or away. Like you say it would have been mayhem. Brighton away is still way down the list when you weigh up potential financial return, chance of progression, ease and cost of travel for the fans. But as I said on another thread, we'll make sure we turn it into a decent draw and we know the lads will give it a bloody good go!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 252
Poojah
March 3, 2023, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,046
Gold Stars: 1,535
Quoted from immariner

Man Utd or Man City away would have been the best draws, simply for the moolah and in Man Utd's case, not having played them in pure yonks. Next would have been Sheff Utd at home or away. Like you say it would have been mayhem. Brighton away is still way down the list when you weigh up potential financial return, chance of progression, ease and cost of travel for the fans. But as I said on another thread, we'll make sure we turn it into a decent draw and we know the lads will give it a bloody good go!

I dunno, Brighton are now an established top-half PL team with a fairly new 32,000 seater stadium (the third biggest in the draw) which will be full come match day. It’s a new ground for Town and an architecturally unique one, unlike the Saints Bowl.

Granted, geographically it’s not great but that aside it’s still a decent draw. If you’d have offered me Brighton away in the quarter final of the FA Cup 48 hours ago I’d have snapped your bloody hand off.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 252
immariner
March 3, 2023, 12:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,420
Gold Stars: 62
Quoted from Poojah

I dunno, Brighton are now an established top-half PL team with a fairly new 32,000 seater stadium (the third biggest in the draw) which will be full come match day. It’s a new ground for Town and an architecturally unique one, unlike the Saints Bowl.

Granted, geographically it’s not great but that aside it’s still a decent draw. If you’d have offered me Brighton away in the quarter final of the FA Cup 48 hours ago I’d have snapped your bloody hand off.

Yeah, we all have different weightings for how decent a draw is. For me, having got all this way, it's dosh then chance of progression. Brighton's ground is smaller than Bramall Lane, a gnat's nadger bigger than Ewood Park (assuming there'll be a decent crowd) and not appreciably bigger than Craven Cottage or Turf Moor, to elevate it too much dosh-wise. Chance of progression arguably much slimmer than against Sheffield Utd, Blackburn or Burnley. Fulham is similar but I've never been to Craven Cottage and would personally prefer to go there. But it matters not a jot now. Brighton will be cracking for a weekender and more-than-a-generational occasion!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 252
BobbyCummingsTackle
March 3, 2023, 12:27pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,352
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from Poojah

Do we think it'll be full? I genuinely don't know - they seem to fill it for league games.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 252
lukeo
March 3, 2023, 12:52pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
For me my pick was
1 United away
2 city away
3 brighton away

So actually I can't complain and I hope I can get tickets, would love a weekend away with my lad
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 252
Limerick Mariner
March 3, 2023, 12:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,783
Gold Stars: 138
I wanted to be at home, some mud always gives a better chance than a perfect pitch...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 252
26 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Brighton away

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.