Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 211 Guests

Paul "Teflon" Hurst

This thread currently has 14,296 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Mighty_Mariner
December 19, 2021, 10:20am
Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 0.84
Rep Score: +42 / -9
Approval: +2,241
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from GibMariner

Would he have relegated us ???

I think he would have yes! His signings, in particular the loans were really peculiar but he painted them to be the next Ronaldo!

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old, Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn, At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, We WILL remember them"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 161
pen penfras
December 19, 2021, 10:32am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Morning Chips,

Just read the site rules and can find no link between eligibility to an an opinion and games attended at Blundell Park this season. Based on this I believe that I am perfectly entitled to an opinion wether you agree with it or not. I have to say that I'm very surprised at you trying to stifle debate because someone else's opinion does not match your own !
I think I can say in all honesty that I have greatly contributed to the Blundell Park coffers since 1968, a time, lets not forget, when you were still on the terraces at Sincil Bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, Sorry to be such a grammer snob but its their hard earned cash and their sofa, not there.

irony?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 161
Poojah
December 19, 2021, 10:33am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,637
Gold Stars: 1,505
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

I think he would have yes! His signings, in particular the loans were really peculiar but he painted them to be the next Ronaldo!

I still think there’s an outside chance James Morton is a future Ballon d’Or winner.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 161
Teesknees
December 19, 2021, 10:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Morning Chips,

Just read the site rules and can find no link between eligibility to an an opinion and games attended at Blundell Park this season. Based on this I believe that I am perfectly entitled to an opinion wether you agree with it or not. I have to say that I'm very surprised at you trying to stifle debate because someone else's opinion does not match your own !
I think I can say in all honesty that I have greatly contributed to the Blundell Park coffers since 1968, a time, lets not forget, when you were still on the terraces at Sincil Bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, Sorry to be such a grammer snob but its their hard earned cash and their sofa, not there.

If you're going to pull people up always check your spelling first as "wether" is a castrated ram!

And ironically isn't it grammar?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 161
ackomariner
December 19, 2021, 10:46am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +20 / -8
Approval: +1,216
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from GibMariner

Would he have relegated us ???

A question nobody can answer as he did a runner.
But Hurst relegated us and nobody can dispute that..

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 161
GhostDan
December 19, 2021, 11:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +984
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from Ipswin
The reappointment of Hurst was a mistake from day one not just in the recent run of defeats.

An unemployed proven failure taken on as a cheap option by Fenty as he prepared to leave the club with the blessing of two new owners who don't know a football from testicle

What they did have was the opportunity and funds for a totally fresh start with a managerial clean sheet.

Instead they have taken the line of least resistance (which it appears they will continue to pursue until outed by the fans or relegated yet again) and simply repeated years of GTFC blunders while the once on a lifetime chance for change on the pitch, as opposed to in the Fanzone, passes them by.

Proven Failure? Whatever you think about PH his record has far more successes than failures, starting before he even managed us the first time. His only “failures” came at basket case clubs like Ipswich (who’ve sacked 2 manager since him) and Scunthorpe.

I’m on the fence, I don’t particularly care either way if we stick or twist but let’s at least have the stories somewhere near straight.  Anybody who is likely to succeed PH will almost certainly be a “proven failure” aswell under your criteria.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 161
TownSNAFU5
December 19, 2021, 11:22am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,893
Gold Stars: 42
We should sign “ irony’ as our new striker.  He is well-regarded on here.

A different viewpoint,  Hurst (and Hurst/Scott before) said that a small squad of players was desirable.  I thought that this aim was a risk,

A small squad puts results at far more risk.

Fast forward to Covid, new injuries, loss of form, young players not being consistent, drink driving, possible other alleged criminal offence, sticking with the Shop as a solution, Max being repeatedly
Injured, other players not coming back from injury, loss of confidence, sendings off, the need to rest or rotate a striker who is getting on a bit, and NOT getting a new striker in.

No great surprise we are where we are.  Waterfall has been much-improved this season and saved our bacon in many games,

Another team failing badly this season are Leeds.  They only have one striker - and a small squad, in Prem League terms.  They are struggling with a lack of numbers as well.  Covid and injuries have to be managed.  

The above are observations,  facts really.  Covid and many of the adverse factors should have been anticipated as reasonable football risks.  The buck stops with the manager if funds were available.  We needed/need a good striker not a perfect one for this level, We simply do not have enough players who can do a good job on the pitch, week in, week out.

The loss of form to key players like Hunt, Clifton, Sousa, Bapaga and Towler etc is more difficult to understand.  Surely the manager has a key role here?  Without McAtee we struggle badly.  Was this outcome ever allowed for?

Despite being an exile I have seen all the home games this season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 161
DB
December 19, 2021, 11:24am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,042
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from GhostDan

Proven Failure? Whatever you think about PH his record has far more successes than failures, starting before he even managed us the first time. His only “failures” came at basket case clubs like Ipswich (who’ve sacked 2 manager since him) and Scunthorpe.

I’m on the fence, I don’t particularly care either way if we stick or twist but let’s at least have the stories somewhere near straight.  Anybody who is likely to succeed PH will almost certainly be a “proven failure” aswell under your criteria.

You make a good point. Unless we poach a manager from another club then all the others are failures, as they've more than likely been sacked or left before they were sacked.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 161
jamesgtfc
December 19, 2021, 11:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,027
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Fast forward to Covid, new injuries, loss of form, young players not being consistent, drink driving, possible other alleged criminal offence, sticking with the Shop as a solution, Max being repeatedly
Injured, other players not coming back from injury, loss of confidence, sendings off, the need to rest or rotate a striker who is getting on a bit, and NOT getting a new striker in.

What is this other alleged criminal offence? Was Sears also driving without a seatbelt?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 161
chipsandgravy
December 19, 2021, 11:30am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,626
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Teesknees

If you're going to pull people up always check your spelling first as "wether" is a castrated ram!

And ironically isn't it grammar?

🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 161
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.