December 20, 2021, 9:45am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from 123614

[/b]

Thankfully this is not your decision to make.

So if our form and results remain inconsistent, and/or poor, for the rest of the season and we finish mid table you would want PH to stay in charge, why?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 161
December 20, 2021, 10:20am
Guest User
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

So if our form and results remain inconsistent, and/or poor, for the rest of the season and we finish mid table you would want PH to stay in charge, why?

'
Before the start of this season, I would be more than happy to finish in a mid table position, because as JS said, 'this is a long term project', we are 8th, 3 points off a play off position.  I don't see any reason to panic at this stage of the season.

Reply: 151 - 161
Hagrid
December 20, 2021, 10:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,390
Gold Stars: 529
Quoted from 123614

'
Before the start of this season, I would be more than happy to finish in a mid table position, because as JS said, 'this is a long term project', we are 8th, 3 points off a play off position.  I don't see any reason to panic at this stage of the season.

Mid table in the National League is never, and will never be acceptable for this football club
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 161
Lincoln Mariner 56
December 20, 2021, 12:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from 123614

'

I would concur that sorting out the clubs infrastructure and ground are long term projects and I don’t expect miracles on the playing side but I would expect this club to finish in the playoffs as a minimum requirement and progress from there. Whilst fully supportive of the new owners it’s hard to argue that if we don’t progress on the playing side it becomes harder to raise the required funds to develop the infrastructure thus a top seven side in this league is pretty much a must for a lot of fans particularly the additional two to three thousand who have returned this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 161
diehardmariner
December 20, 2021, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,420
Gold Stars: 532
In no way can we excuse the shocking form or performances of late, but am I really reading posts that state we would have stayed up under Holloway?  

For the comparison of Hurst to Holloway, it's surely unfair to include Hurst's tenure last season.  He inherited an absolute shower of excrement, not just in terms of quality but in terms of the dressing room, preparations for the season and the confidence of the players.  He quite clearly had to have a pre-season midway through the campaign AND try to rebuild confidence AND try to install some organisation AND offload/bring in new faces.  Oh and he was also quite clearly hampered by a urine poor budget in January.  There's a reason we did our recruitment from the bargain bucket.

Totally unfair to judge Hurst on last season, impossible job.  Football isn't played on a spreadsheet and Holloway's legacy and impact completely outlasted his time in the dugout.  We felt the impact right until the final kick of the ball that season.

This season is what matters and ultimately something is clearly amiss.  We're playing very poorly, players have tailed off, the energy has disappeared and we look clueless.  It's always points that matter though and we're not getting any.  This run can't continue and were it not for this enforced break (it's coming, make no mistake) I think Hurst would do well to escape another defeat without falling on his sword.  The break has probably come at a perfect time for us to regroup, refocus and try to figure out what the intercourse has happened!
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 161
Zmariner
December 20, 2021, 12:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Hagrid

Mid table in the National League is never, and will never be acceptable for this football club

I have to agree with this, even with a season ticket I will not turn up for mid table National League football, It just does not interest me. If this becomes our level of ambition 100% even after 40 years of support I would not attend. I would always have an interest but in the last couple of seasons my interest has diminished unbelievably
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 161
Roast Em Bobby
December 20, 2021, 1:05pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,720
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from diehardmariner
We're playing very poorly, players have tailed off, the energy has disappeared and we look clueless. It's always points that matter though and we're not getting any.  This run can't continue and were it not for this enforced break (it's coming, make no mistake) I think Hurst would do well to escape another defeat without falling on his sword.  The break has probably come at a perfect time for us to regroup, refocus and try to figure out what the intercourse has happened!

I'd say the bit in bold only relates to away games. There is no way that applies to the home games against Notts or Chesterfield, which yes we lost but played pretty well in, given we were missing our star player.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 161
jamesgtfc
December 20, 2021, 1:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,941
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Zmariner

I have to agree with this, even with a season ticket I will not turn up for mid table National League football, It just does not interest me. If this becomes our level of ambition 100% even after 40 years of support I would not attend. I would always have an interest but in the last couple of seasons my interest has diminished unbelievably

Having grown up watching us battle relegation from Division One in the late 90's, early 2000's, I expect the clubs ambition to be at the top end of this league, the league above and at least feeling like we have a chance of the League 1 play offs.

Football has passed us by the last 18 years and I'm not saying we could compete at the top end of the Championship but it would be great if we could get back to that level every once in a while.

I accept that it takes time to rebuild but in 5 years time, if we aren't in League 1, I expect us to be at the top end of League 2 making a good attempt at getting there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 161
Cambridgefish
December 20, 2021, 1:47pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: -12
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

Morning Chips,

Just read the site rules and can find no link between eligibility to an an opinion and games attended at Blundell Park this season. Based on this I believe that I am perfectly entitled to an opinion wether you agree with it or not. I have to say that I'm very surprised at you trying to stifle debate because someone else's opinion does not match your own !
I think I can say in all honesty that I have greatly contributed to the Blundell Park coffers since 1968, a time, lets not forget, when you were still on the terraces at Sincil Bank !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS, Sorry to be such a grammer snob but its their hard earned cash and their sofa, not there.

If we're playing grammar snobbery I'm game. It's whether, not wether. The exclamation mark after own does not have a space after the letter n. And it should be 'let's not forget' rather than 'lets not forget'.
And grammar is spelt grammar not grammer.
The Pedant

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 161
arryarryarry
December 20, 2021, 2:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from DB

You make a good point. Unless we poach a manager from another club then all the others are failures, as they've more than likely been sacked or left before they were sacked.

Just like Paul Hurst then?
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 161
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.