Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 81 Guests

Paul "Teflon" Hurst

This thread currently has 14,297 views. Print
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Sussexmariner
December 18, 2021, 7:38pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +618
Gold Stars: 18
I think my decision not to change my Avatar quote thingy below has been justified, wrote it 8 years a go

Never liked him in his first stint, taking nearly 6 years to get us promoted and in my opinion by sheer luck (Monkhouse injury, Braintree defenders rush of blood for the penalty  in the play off )

Time to go but I think sadly he’ll be here till after the transfer window

Are we any closer to getting promoted since Hurst has been here? No

Has he been given time to achieve promotion by the chairman and fans? Yes

Hurst out
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 161
Humbercod
December 18, 2021, 7:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from BottesfordMariner
I am at a loss to explain what has happened to the team that got off to a great start to the season and led the league by 4 pts barely 2 months ago.

8 defeats in 9 in all competitions ......the wheels have come off big time. And ANY manager will be under huge pressure after a shocking run like this.

Several things worry me in particular. Some of the teams we have lost to , are simply put, not good teams. Aldershot, Kidderminster, Wealdstone....

Some of the decent we have played like Notts and Chesterfield we simply didnt ask enough questions.

At the moment there seems little self belief in the players. We go behind and its like going back to last season the game is virtually over. We simply dont look like getting back into games. The goals have dried up.

This is not just a couple of gamers now. This is over 2 months or the same old story week in week out. And the manager does not seem to have any idea how to turn it around. At this rate we will be bottom half by the early New Year. You can forget play offs........hopefully enough pts in the bag to keep us clear of danger.....hopefully.

I am not one for changing manager every 5 minutes but how long can this current run be allowed to continue unchecked.

Looking back now at the great start I think the warning signs were always there, most of the teams we had beaten now find themselves at the wrong end of the table, and to be honest apart from the Dover game some of the results were lucky to go our way. As for the Wrexham game I thought we were fantastic that night to be fair, but they were a disjointed team already under pressure and have only just really started to get going.

I didn’t want Hurst back and I wasn’t surprised when he took us down. Some say you can’t blame Hurst but that was his job to keep us up just like Michael Jolly did when he inherited a bag of excrement. So he takes us down without the meekest of an apology and he gets a free pass. I backed him at the start of the season as I said I would and even got carried away and praised his start. But Solihull away on a cold Tuesday was my tipping point absolute dreadful performance and I haven’t watched them since, he has managed to turn a play-off chasing team into relegation fodder this is all on him and it’s time he accepts it’s just not working.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 161
Heisenberg
December 18, 2021, 7:42pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,096
Gold Stars: 95
No manager survives this form. If Pep lost 9 out of 10 at Man City, he’d be gone.

I was quite positive about Hurst coming back, relatively positive about this season (although a little underwhelmed by the signings), ecstatic (bewildered, in fact) at the explosive start to the season, but now at pretty much an equal to any of the all-time lows we’ve had during our lifetimes.

I am completely at a loss to explain or justify the current form.

Desperate, desperate times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 161
Fillipe Noche
December 18, 2021, 7:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +3 / -21
Approval: -5,112
Gold Stars: 103
Do the owners get called into question?

You happy with them if they don’t sack him ?

Just asking
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 161
Heisenberg
December 18, 2021, 7:54pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Fillipe Noche
Do the owners get called into question?

You happy with them if they don’t sack him ?

Just asking

I know you’re fishing, but in all honesty we need a couple of homes wins pronto or the owners won’t have a choice.

The owners have done little wrong. I still have a major issue with there being no marquee signing in the summer, and for that reason we cannot go up, but in general I like the guys. Their intentions are good, Fenty’s intentions were purely selfish and unforgivable.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 161
Spurn boy
December 18, 2021, 7:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +1,264
Gold Stars: 30
I’ve been watching the mariners since the the mid 70,s so you probably understand the emotions I have suffered over the last 40 years, some very high including the 2 Wembley appearances and also the relegation to the National league twice. The beginning of this season was beyond my expectations and I was loving every minute of it until about five weeks ago when I was listening to a pre match interview with Hursty when he was reluctant to give information about certain players as he thought it might be beneficial to the opposition, my immediate thought was we are in the National league not the Champions League what is this man saying he is becoming someone who thinks he is far better than what he is. We have now got to the point where he has to go as I think he has lost the support of the players and the fans.

Dead Eye Dobbin stood motionless waiting, waiting, waiting for the ball to arrive. Back came the right foot, Down came the right foot, Bang ! Headlines around the world as the ball flew into the very top right hand corner of the goal.( Jim Dobbin scoring in the 89th minute for Town against Newcastle United away 24/10/1992 )
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 161
Poojah
December 18, 2021, 8:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,636
Gold Stars: 1,505
I don’t think for a minute he will be sacked just yet, rightly or wrongly. The fact that we were top when this 10 run game began and it includes two cup defeats I think just about gives him enough in the tank to keep his job for now.

But these are seriously uncertain times for Paul Hurst. Put to one side the wider situation in the country for a moment, and our next three games are Boreham Wood (h), Halifax (a) and King’s Lynn (h). As it stands, only King’s Lynn looks remotely winnable on current form and so if that’s what transpired, and it kept him in a job a little longer, what next.

Immediately after that we face Halifax (h), Bromley (h) and Wrexham (a) - another string of eminently losable games. I believe that the board will want to give him as long as possible, but the chances of us stumbling into an extended poor streak and and an utterly untenable league position look quite high. They look probable rather than possible.

But then of course there’s the massive uncertainty over what the next few weeks look like. Will all or any of those next three games be played, and if so what kind of state will the squads of either side look like?

Given where we are, a several week cessation of football would probably the best thing that could happen to Paul Hurst right now. If I’m honest, looking at it objectively and as neither a Hurst lover nor hater, it’s the only way I can see him as Town manager come 1st Feb.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 161
Heisenberg
December 18, 2021, 8:14pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
I don’t think for a minute he will be sacked just yet, rightly or wrongly. The fact that we were top when this 10 run game began and it includes two cup defeats I think just about gives him enough in the tank to keep his job for now.

But these are seriously uncertain times for Paul Hurst. Put to one side the wider situation in the country for a moment, and our next three games are Boreham Wood (h), Halifax (a) and King’s Lynn (h). As it stands, only King’s Lynn looks remotely winnable on current form and so if that’s what transpired, and it kept him in a job a little longer, what next.

Immediately after that we face Halifax (a), Bromley (h) and Wrexham (a) - another string of eminently losable games. I believe that the board will want to give him as long as possible, but the chances of us stumbling into an extended poor streak and and an utterly untenable league position look quite high. They look probable rather than possible.

But then of course there’s the massive uncertainty over what the next few weeks look like. Will all of any of those next three games be played, and if so what kind of state will the squads of either side look like?

Given where we are, a several week cessation of football would probably the best thing that could happen to Paul Hurst right now. If I’m honest, looking at it objectively and as neither a Hurst lover nor hater, it’s the only way I can see him as Town manager come 1st Feb.

I knew the next 3 fixtures, but didn’t know the 3 after that. After reading your post, I’ll be hitting the bottle hard tonight.

I really hate this sh#t.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 161
chipsandgravy
December 18, 2021, 8:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +3,626
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease

I said he was beginning to grow on me and that I might have been wrong about him, however eight defeats in nine games is unacceptable and this run of form would surely mean the sack for 99% of managers in charge of clubs in this country !

I never had you down as the easily pleased brigade Chips ! FFS !

Not easily pleased Sir Matt just a realist. Just remind me how many times you've seem them live this season?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 161
Teestogreen
December 18, 2021, 8:40pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: -156
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Heisenberg

I knew the next 3 fixtures, but didn’t know the 3 after that. After reading your post, I’ll be hitting the bottle hard tonight.

I really hate this sh#t.

It’s ok - don’t do it - the 2nd Halifax game is at home 😀

Blundell Park - The Home of Grimsby Town Football Club (still)  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 161
17 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Paul "Teflon" Hurst

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.