Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plans for the future
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense, Googlebot and 290 Guests

Plans for the future

This thread currently has 21,618 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
WOZOFGRIMSBY
October 14, 2021, 8:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,816
Gold Stars: 178
I recently went to one of those retail outlets, you know the ones like Bicester village, Cheshire oaks etc and my immediate thought was how good would one of those would look on a rejuvenated docks area with an adjacent football stadium/leisure complex. Yes it would detract shopping from the oh so delightful freshney place, but it’s the chance for a old step forward and could even get ABP onside

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 175
lew chaterleys lover
October 14, 2021, 8:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I'm an exile and I agree with so much that has been suggested here. Grimsby needs to think big and be radical.

I visit a lot of places that have regenerated grim areas and often think 'Grimsby could be like this...'

And Grimsby has one massive advantage: people love being by the water.

Yes it is one of life's mysteries why we are so unwilling to take advantage of our main asset - being right by the sea.

As you drive in you would not know you had arrived at a place that was once the worlds largest fishing port. They have even tried to hide the sea behind railings/ trees/factories/car storage. No homage to the history of the place and what it stood for. Honestly, it makes you weep. Inland towns make any rivers winding through them the centrepiece and here we are with the whole North Sea to aim for and we make nothing of it.

What a once in a lifetime opportunity to bring Grimsby back to its heritage if a new stadium* could be built on the docks with the Dock Tower as a backdrop. What an opportunity to put the most important but forgotten part of the whole town back on the map. The buzz, the excitement of going to the match in such a prestigious setting would be off the scale and would be a huge draw for locals and visitors alike, if it had the infrastructure and retail and social businesses to go with it.

If ever 1878 wanted to leave a legacy this would be it. If anybody is going to do it it is the new regime, as they will be exploring all the avenues open to us.

* I have said before I would not mind BP being redeveloped but the idea of a new bespoke stadium on the docks is obviously the creme del a creme of preferred outcomes.
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 175
KingstonMariner
October 14, 2021, 9:20pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
I recently went to one of those retail outlets, you know the ones like Bicester village, Cheshire oaks etc and my immediate thought was how good would one of those would look on a rejuvenated docks area with an adjacent football stadium/leisure complex. Yes it would detract shopping from the oh so delightful freshney place, but it’s the chance for a old step forward and could even get ABP onside

I wouldn’t be surprised if Freshney Place had run It’s course anyway. It’s been empty last few times I went there even pre-Covid. It’s looking tired. Be a chance to redevelop that site after 40 years.

Shame because it’s the historic heart of the oldest part of Grimsby.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 175
HerveJosse
October 14, 2021, 9:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,207
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Jackal
ABP are a landlord and property developer as much as a port operator.
That land is not going to be useful to them in any great form.  More car storage?
Looking at ABP’s financial performance they aren’t ripping up any trees for their investors.
They will be more than happy to sell and if not then a 999 year lease please.
My thoughts aren’t focused on the docks I’m thinking development from at least Kent street straight back to the docks.  Be radical .  
Re route the road around the new development.  Close the railway line. Sorry but the reality is Grimsby and Cleethorpes doesn’t need two stations and tourists tend to drive in.  Keep the docks station for visiting fans.

Anyway I’ve ranted enough so will stop.  I just wanted to initially respond to why I stopped going to the ground.  
I got a bit sidetracked . Sorry 😊
Great to see so much hope at Blundell Park.
UTM

‘’Close the railway line to Cleethorpes tourists drive in ‘ You have obviously not been to Cleethorpes stations this summer. ZFull trains disgorging our friends from South Yorkshire throughout midweek. If the Cleethorpes link closed it wouldn’t be long before Grimsby station followed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 143 - 175
MarinerRob
October 14, 2021, 9:50pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,432
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Jackal
Close the railway line. Sorry but the reality is Grimsby and Cleethorpes doesn’t need two stations and tourists tend to drive in.

As an exile arriving at Cleethorpes station after passing the Dock Tower and Blundell Park gives me shivers. The very thought that Cleethorpes not having a station is unthinkable. All the history and the millions of people arriving - walking down the steps onto the promenade and seeing the pier and all that sand is what has make Cleethorpes what it is.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 175
Grim up north
October 14, 2021, 10:30pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Nice to see so many good ideas coming through. Jackal raises some good points although for me a 10000 crowd shows ambition no further than league two. Once you get to League One we are talking a fair number of teams that could bring 3000 plus so for me a 12000 to 14000 minimum.
As for the docks, this provides easy access to the motorway along with a train line that puts fans directly into the stadium. An engineer I know from work is originally a southerner who has a boat in the docks and reckons if down south it would’ve been developed decades ago and is beautiful down there with the right development. Another mate who sails reckons to sail from Norfolk to Whitby involves a stop off which at the minute is Hull, not ideal as up and down the Humber adds hours, however if Grimsby had the facilities, restaurants etc and was dredged for larger yachts then they would stop off there overnight instead.So much potential yet often overlooked.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 175
Jackal
October 14, 2021, 11:56pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +211
Gold Stars: 15
Quoted from MarinerRob

As an exile arriving at Cleethorpes station after passing the Dock Tower and Blundell Park gives me shivers. The very thought that Cleethorpes not having a station is unthinkable. All the history and the millions of people arriving - walking down the steps onto the promenade and seeing the pier and all that sand is what has make Cleethorpes what it is.

As I said maybe my ideas aren’t right but and I’m not claiming I know what I’m talking about I’m just throwing it out there for debate.
I’d be interested to see stats on tourist arrivals by train compared to cars.
An earlier post mentioned the duel use of the docks stadium parking for tourists . Ok how about the regular trains stop near the new ground along with a full park and ride facility. But instead of a bus park and ride into Cleethorpes there is a free steam train from New Clee station to Cleethorpes. The car drivers get free parking and the train lovers get a free treat. Again just an idea but it could be fun and a nice way to reduce congestion but attract more visitors. It would be a train enthusiasts wet dream and extra historic buildings could be erected with a link to the fish trains of old along with those old three wheel trucks etc etc. A little coastal heritage railway.  
In this instance think of beamish museum. People jump on trains at Beamish and the York railway museum to travel a few hundred yards.  It would attract train enthusiasts year round and they alone would spend money. Actually thinking about it they would probably bring a flask and and a sandwich.
Although I think families would love it running by the sea,

Looking back on history is what this town does over and over again. The past is gone it is no more. What Grimsby has today is a shadow of what it was and to reminisce is nice I agree but it’s not going to help the town move forward one inch.
Look at those Telegraph bygones editions they are full of images of thriving business and people embracing their lives. Ask yourself how did that start? It wasn’t three rowing boats along the Freshney estuary one day then suddenly 600 trawlers over a weekend . It was people who had a vision that this could be a lot better and a lot bigger. Those people and the graft of workers made this town boom.

Saying but I like to think of those Victorian halcyon days is lovely and I do it too if I’m honest but time is running out for Grimsby so do we want to create images for future generations to say wow look what they did and what they have left us or do we want them to keep buying the bygones from the last century full of black and white images of success.  

Interesting times.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 175
GY1
October 15, 2021, 4:13am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +133
Gold Stars: 1

Yes it is one of life's mysteries why we are so unwilling to take advantage of our main asset - being right by the sea.

As you drive in you would not know you had arrived at a place that was once the worlds largest fishing port. They have even tried to hide the sea behind railings/ trees/factories/car storage. No homage to the history of the place and what it stood for. Honestly, it makes you weep. Inland towns make any rivers winding through them the centrepiece and here we are with the whole North Sea to aim for and we make nothing of it.

What a once in a lifetime opportunity to bring Grimsby back to its heritage if a new stadium* could be built on the docks with the Dock Tower as a backdrop. What an opportunity to put the most important but forgotten part of the whole town back on the map. The buzz, the excitement of going to the match in such a prestigious setting would be off the scale and would be a huge draw for locals and visitors alike, if it had the infrastructure and retail and social businesses to go with it.

If ever 1878 wanted to leave a legacy this would be it. If anybody is going to do it it is the new regime, as they will be exploring all the avenues open to us.

* I have said before I would not mind BP being redeveloped but the idea of a new bespoke stadium on the docks is obviously the creme del a creme of preferred outcomes.

That's worth a Goldie. I think we would all agree, the docks have enormous potential for a new ground as part of a bigger development of residential and retail/commercial.

Bulldoze the north side of Cleethorpes Road through to Riby street from Riby square to Humber Street and redevelop it. Widen Cleethorpes Road to Humber Street and put a new road into Humber Street and over the Humber Street Bridge to bring traffic onto the dock without railway issues. Sort the roads out on the docks depending where the stadium parking is located
That’s not likely to happen any time soon, so consider developing BP to increase capacity, revenue and Improve team facilities. All three could be achieved by rebuilding the main stand, making it a three-level structure and extending it to wrap around and enclose the corners adjoining the Pontoon and the Osmond. The first level would be below grade and provide team facilities such as dressing rooms, showers etc. The second level would be the standard seating area with press facilities, The third level would provide function suites/boxes for groups/corporations with catering and bar facilities, and would feature full length windows that would run around the back of the stand providing the occupants with an open view across the Humber. Money in the Bank!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 175
BeijingMariner
October 15, 2021, 5:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Grim up north
Nice to see so many good ideas coming through. Jackal raises some good points although for me a 10000 crowd shows ambition no further than league two. Once you get to League One we are talking a fair number of teams that could bring 3000 plus so for me a 12000 to 14000 minimum.
As for the docks, this provides easy access to the motorway along with a train line that puts fans directly into the stadium. An engineer I know from work is originally a southerner who has a boat in the docks and reckons if down south it would’ve been developed decades ago and is beautiful down there with the right development. Another mate who sails reckons to sail from Norfolk to Whitby involves a stop off which at the minute is Hull, not ideal as up and down the Humber adds hours, however if Grimsby had the facilities, restaurants etc and was dredged for larger yachts then they would stop off there overnight instead.So much potential yet often overlooked.

I like this thinking, and even though it is not directly about football, I think this thread and this idea in particular shows how inter-connected the success of the club and the town are.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 148 - 175
aldi_01
October 15, 2021, 5:50am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think this thread highlights that locally there are forward thinking people that want the town to move forward, some of the ideas may be a bit bizarre or not entirely well thought out but they’re ideas nonetheless…

Sadly though, I think there’s a large majority of local folk who just poo poo anything and continually find some issue with it, even if it’s fictional.

The docks has huge potential but even with ABPs unstable financial situation (I’m aware it’s not on its bottom but still) I’m not sure they’re progressive enough? May be they are and may be that is something that is being explored, who knows?

We teach photography at school, several kids are from Grimsby, all wanted to do a project on local history…can’t get on the dock to take photographs without the risk of being chased off for love nor money…

Personally, I think a stadium etc on the docks markets itself, it’s accessible to locals and away fans and in truth wouldn’t affect other areas of town so those not wanting to go or not interested in football wouldn’t have to worry their little selves…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 175
18 Pages Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plans for the future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.