18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
October 15, 2021, 5:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
I like most on here would like a new stadium and there have been many good suggestions. The realism of the situation is that JP & AP have put a new stadium down their agenda. The olive branch from JS last week was 'let's fill BP' first and then we'll look at it again.

Until that happens on a regular basis then we will have to wait. I don't like the idea and as much as we speculate nothing will happen until the sums add up.

As much as the council 'hype up' this area along with promises of investment there has been no investment of substance for decades. It hasn't mattered one iota that the council is red or blue or coalition, nor our MP's being Labour or Tory and whoever has been in No10 no money has been sent to regenerate our area.

Until our councilors ( red and blue ) and bureaucrats stop living in the past we will never move forward. I am sorry to say that if they want to know how to attract government funds and private investment then they should look across the river.

A new manufacturing base for wind turbines was built there, down the river from the sea, and we got a base for the service boats! I could go on and on and on etc. We had 2 chances several decades ago to give this town long-lasting prosperity, one was called Nissan and the other Toyota.

Both JS and AP have talked about Town being part of the community, so perhaps that is where the council should come in. As has been suggested a new stadium could be the start of the regeneration of the area and the docks would be the place to start.

The council already has funds, £10 million bus station money, to start the rebuild with. All 1878 needs is a firm commitment from the council and away we go.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 175
BeijingMariner
October 17, 2021, 8:39am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
I know most will have already seen this, just thought I would share anyway. And no, I am not suggesting we are Everton But it is inspiring. [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUVccHnH2o[/url]
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 161 - 175
DB
October 17, 2021, 2:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,000
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from BeijingMariner
I know most will have already seen this, just thought I would share anyway. And no, I am not suggesting we are Everton But it is inspiring. [url]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlUVccHnH2o[/url]

£500 Million, It would be nice if they could slip us £20 Million in small change for a new stadium for us. It does seem a lot of money with the capacity at 52,888 but the owner chipped in with £100 Million of his own cash.

Farhad Moshiri (Persian: اردوان فرهاد ﻣﺸﻴﺮى‎; born 18 May 1955) is a British-Iranian businessman based in Monaco.[2] He is the chairman and a shareholder of USM, a diversified Russian holding company with significant interests across the metals and mining, telecoms, technology and internet sectors. ( Wiki )

When you read about who owns some of the Prem clubs it beggars belief that the clubs are classed as English. It is as if the owners legitimise themselves by owning something English ( Not that they have done anything legally wrong), to ally their lack of moral standing.

Personally, I like the way JS & AP are doing things for us. We might have to wait a while for a new stadium, and as JS & AP say it will a community club.

Source:-  
https://royalbluemersey.sbnati.....right-farhad-moshiri

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 175
KingstonMariner
October 17, 2021, 3:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
The Premier League and quite a few clubs outside it have gone the way of much of British commerce.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 175
Grim up north
October 17, 2021, 5:00pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Watched Brentford yesterday and remember going to their old place, thought the new ground looked cracking till I googled and it’s cost 71 million 😳
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 175
KingstonMariner
October 17, 2021, 5:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Crikey. £71m. I remember talking to a Brentford fan who ran a market stall in Kingston around 2008 and they were fighting relegation out of the Football League.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 175
moosey_club
October 17, 2021, 6:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,244
Gold Stars: 226
People really need to stop looking at the council for any assistance, help or wider planning. They have the largest pot of cash they have ever had access to right now with that Town deal funding....what have they done with it ?
Next to fck all. Demolished a building on Garth Lane, repointed a building on Garth Lane, replaced a foot bridge with a wider foot bridge and put some concrete terracing in so people can sit and stare at the algae in the river head....and I am led to believe even that paltry amount of "regeneration" has gone way over budget.

New housing, new businesses , new jobs all promised when first announced, none of them yet as far as I can tell and it's been 2yrs (?) now ?  

They are fking useless.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 175
Grim up north
October 17, 2021, 6:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +689
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Crikey. £71m. I remember talking to a Brentford fan who ran a market stall in Kingston around 2008 and they were fighting relegation out of the Football League.

I think it holds 17000 which would be too big in our current plight , remember back to going to the old place and you would class Brentford as well below us in terms of stature and fan base. Then again it was probably early 90’s when all attendances were at a low point
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 175
Poojah
October 17, 2021, 7:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,472
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from KingstonMariner

It’s a lot of money for a stadium with a 17,250 capacity, but I think there were some complexities in Brentford’s case; not least the cost of land so close to central London and the nature of the site; tiny with awkward angles and hemmed in by railway lines. It’s certainly not a place the untrained eye would think to put a Premier League football
stadium.

Arguably the most relevant example for us would be Rotherham United’s new stadium. 12,000 capacity (although it looks bigger), northern and built on brownfield land close to the town centre. It’s also probably close to what most people have in their mind’s eye in terms of design; without the architectural flair you get with large, high-end stadiums like Spurs (which cost a billion quid, by the way) but still relatively well thought out and reasonably unique.

As a benchmark then, that cost £20m, 10 years ago. If the consensus on here is that we need to be considering a capacity of 15,000 minimum, then with inflation and in particular the recent surge in the cost of construction materials, I think a figure in the region of £30m - £35m is probably not far off the mark. And that’s a big chunk of change.

The biggest question for me, far bigger than ‘where’ any new stadium should go, is how you go about funding a project of that scale. Through grants and naming rights, there’s a chance you might be able to get close to £10m, but that still leaves a huge gulf of at least £20m.

Borrowing money, at least by traditional means, is difficult where a stadium for Town is concerned as the value of the stadium once completed would be a lot less than what it cost to build it. It’s not like mortgaging a house (which is complex enough in its own right if you’re building it yourself).

In Rotherham’s case, they were lent £5m, interest free, by their local council. Can we anticipate such generosity from NELC? I’m not sure we can. As for the concept of ‘enabling developments’, I think they’re absolutely dead in the water in the current climate, certainly where retail is concerned.

Brentford’s stadium, much like Brighton’s a few years earlier, were largely underwritten by their owner. I don’t know if that’s an option for us either as I don’t think our owners have the personal wealth to lend or guarantee that kind of money.

However, whilst the obstacles in front of us are large, I do feel for the first time we will overcome them and I think we’ll find ourselves in a new ground within 5 to 6 years. Despite what Stockwood and Pettit have said, I believe in the background a stadium is very much on the agenda. They’re not daft; they know that Blundell Park places an artificial ceiling on the club’s prospects in the long-term.

Rotherham we’re forced out of Millmoor in 2008, and were playing in a shiny new stadium by 2012. It’s achievable in my opinion with the right people involved, something that’s evidently been a bit of a problem up until now.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 175
HertsGTFC
October 17, 2021, 9:54pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from BeijingMariner

I hope it’s got heated seats it’s f*****g freezing in that part of the City from October to March 🥶

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 175
18 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Plans for the future

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.