Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 13 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,447 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
April 1, 2020, 5:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
And now the death rate in Germany is rising so they could start to see a future increase similar to France, Spain, Italy and the UK.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 950 - 3468
Maringer
April 1, 2020, 6:09pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,630
Gold Stars: 185
Interesting reading. However, I'll trust that the Bank of England know what they are talking about when it comes to money creation. After all, they are the ones that do it and they are also the ones who allow the commercial banks to create money as well.

The point that commercial banks will only lend (i.e. create) money if they think they will get it back with interest is so banal that I can't believe the CEPR bothered to write an article about it! The point is that the money comes from nothing and goes to nothing when it is repaid. Therefore, if there are unused resources in the economy which could generate a return/benefit there is always money available.

It also shows why the policy of austerity was so utterly stupid following the last recession. We were never going to run out of money - its simply not possible. It would have made sense to rebuild the economy to a healthy state before easing back on public expenditure. It would have created prosperity and saved lives. I trust that the public won't be daft enough to let them do the same again when the coronavirus is hopefully put to bed in a year or two.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 951 - 3468
Gaffer58
April 1, 2020, 6:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
Out of interest which thread is currently the largest ever on here, as I can see this one becoming number 1 eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 952 - 3468
Marinerz93
April 1, 2020, 6:14pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Maringer

We won't get the ventilators needed - at least not until too late. We will get some which will save lives, but not nearly enough. Germany will be manufacturing new ventilators as well and, as with the testing, they will be able to do it much better than us due to their manufacturing base still being intact.

I haven't mentioned anything about the EU for a few days. And then it was just to point out that we didn't join in the with EU scheme to source more ventilators (differing excuses given by the government so somebody there was telling porkies), which is foolish regardless of individual views on the EU.

Yesterday, we actually had the largest increase in cases yet according to the Worldometwr site so I'm not quite sure what you're talking about in your claims of a fall. Note that the Germans are testing widely in their community (we still aren't) so their numbers will actually show a more accurate indication than ours which are hospital only. Don't forget that the total number of UK deaths was increased by 40 yesterday because deaths caused by the virus in the home or care homes weren't previously counted!

The critical case number you are arguing is accurate is utterly nonsensical. If this was true, there would be fewer than 200 deaths in the UK today and there will, unfortunately, be many more. The majority of people requiring ventilation will be critical cases and we've got thousands of them right now. The problem is that each country supplies different data so data aggregation sites such as this will struggle to show an absolutely clear comparison.

The note about similar populations was just indicating we're in the same ballpark as Germany as opposed to places being badly hit such as the US and Spain (which are much larger and much smaller respectively). The German population is a bit less than 25% larger than ours. Yet they have 5 times as many ventilators. Proportionally, we have a lot fewer ventilators than Spain and Italy which doesn't bode well for us at the peak of the pandemic here. We'll just have to hope that a reasonable number of new ones will be delivered in time to save enough lives.

You keep banging on about Germany having more ventilators than us and this isn't just down to planning but being in better position to manufacture as their manufacturing industry is in a better position than ours. You want to compare us with other European countries compare us to France who have a similar population.

The critical case number you are arguing is accurate is utterly nonsensical

Information taken from the worldometer you keep referring to but again as it doesn't suit your agenda so it's nonsensical, again picking and choosing, a sad trait of yours.

As for the decline there was a peak on the 28th then on the 29th and 30th March there were less deaths, it went up again on 31st and again on the 1st April so the pattern of deaths is following the sine wave pattern predicted so there will be peaks and troughs over the next few weeks.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 953 - 3468
Maringer
April 1, 2020, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido
And now the death rate in Germany is rising so they could start to see a future increase similar to France, Spain, Italy and the UK.

Well, of course deaths are going up in Germany. They've got thousands in critical condition, a larger population and have been tracking cases for a little longer than we have. I don't imagine the survival rate of their critical cases is any better than ours so a lot of those in their many ICU beds will still die.

It seems strange to think that their 10% rise in deaths is a harbinger in comparison to our 31% rise over the past 24 hours. It may be that their better testing and contact tracing regimes have done little more than delay the curve in comparison to ours, but I tend to doubt it.

The fact that UK deaths have rocketed over the past couple of days makes me wonder if our policy is to simply not bother to ventilate those over a certain age and with co-morbidities from the off. I suppose this would make sense if there was absolutely no chance of saving some of these lives due to lack of resources in the coming weeks.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 954 - 3468
Maringer
April 1, 2020, 6:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Marinerz93

The critical case number you are arguing is accurate is utterly nonsensical

Information taken from the worldometer you keep referring to but again as it doesn't suit your agenda so it's nonsensical, again picking and choosing, a sad trait of yours.

You don't think that the fact that the critical case number is still at 163 a day later might indicate the figures aren't accurate? Especially given 563 people have died here in the past 24 hours?

Go on then. Explain how we still have 163 critical cases following over 3 times as many deaths. This should be interesting.

P.S. I seem to think that France have around twice as many ventilators as us. Can't remember where I read it and can't be bothered to find out. Should be good to save a few thousand lives at least.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 955 - 3468
Les Brechin
April 1, 2020, 6:47pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Gaffer58
Out of interest which thread is currently the largest ever on here, as I can see this one becoming number 1 eventually.

Not sure if it's the longest but the Ex-Gtfc Players thread is nearly 300 pages long and one of the sticky threads in non-football is over 4000 pages long, so still some way to go.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 956 - 3468
Ipswin
April 1, 2020, 7:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Maringer

The fact that UK deaths have rocketed over the past couple of days makes me wonder if our policy is to simply not bother to ventilate those over a certain age and with co-morbidities from the off. I suppose this would make sense if there was absolutely no chance of saving some of these lives due to lack of resources in the coming weeks.

flipping cheered me up no end

Received my 'you are specially high risk' letter (due to my lung tumours) today. Advised to pack a bag ready to go to hospital if required with things needed 'for an overnight stay' Sounds like they won't urine about with me very long then!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 957 - 3468
codcheeky
April 1, 2020, 8:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Private Message
Reply: 958 - 3468
rancido
April 1, 2020, 8:24pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from codcheeky

The Grauniad strikes again!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 959 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.