Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,646 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Stadium
April 8, 2020, 7:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from MarinerMal

It is going to get far worse by the looks of it because we were slow to initiate lockdown procedures.

According to a study by The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation (IHME) we aren't due to peak for another 8/9 days. We are probably looking at nearly 3000 deaths a day at that point.

In total they predict the UK will experience 66,000 deaths due to covid-19, which could be as much as 40% of the total European deaths.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/11347508/uk-could-worst-hit-coronavirus-europe-deaths/
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uk-could-worst-hit-coronavirus-21827665
https://www.theguardian.com/wo.....virus-study-predicts

Note that isn't the model from Imperial College thus:

In March, modellers relied on by the UK government, led by the team at Imperial College London, said deaths could reach 260,000 in the UK with no restrictions on movement, but they hoped to get deaths down to 20,000 through the lockdown strategy.

Ferguson said he did not think the predictions could be relied on. “This model does not match the current UK situation,” he said, adding that the numbers used by the IHME were at least twice as high as they should be for current bed usage and deaths in the NHS. “Basically, their healthcare demand model is wrong, at least for the UK,” he said.

The IHME said its model was designed to be updated from day to day as the pandemic goes on. For a country such as the UK, which is quite early on in its outbreak, the uncertainty was higher and the headline numbers might change over the next few days as more data is collected.

The IHME predict less deaths in the USA than the UK.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1220 - 3468
Roast Em Bobby
April 8, 2020, 7:04pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,724
Gold Stars: 44
Referencing back to the posts about Chinese wet markets being the source, this article is an interesting read https://www.grain.org/en/artic.....orona-virus-outbreak
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1221 - 3468
cmackenzie4
April 8, 2020, 7:09pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.25
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from gaz57

I'm going for my treatment tomorrow ( infusion ) and must admit to being scared , I have no idea if the nurse's have PPE  and advised by the hospital there wasn't enough to go round. I was told to just turn up and carry on as usual. The staff in that department are brilliant but with all the best will in the world no one knows it they carry the virus.

Good luck Gaz 👍

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 1222 - 3468
Gaffer58
April 8, 2020, 7:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
Received  my Boris letter today, problem is after the post person had put it through my letterbox he proceeded to get a tissue/handkerchief out and blow then wipe his nose.Wondering how many times he’s done this before getting to me, so to date have left the envelope on the floor, probably open it in a couple of days. Am I being careful or paranoid?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1223 - 3468
codcheeky
April 8, 2020, 7:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,260
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby
Referencing back to the posts about Chinese wet markets being the source, this article is an interesting read https://www.grain.org/en/artic.....orona-virus-outbreak

People don’t want to believe factory farming may be the cause, or that it’s been flagged up as the most likely place for viruses to jump species with viruses and bacteria adapting to the antibiotics they are fed. We like our meat cheap and the industry has a massive lobby
Private Message
Reply: 1224 - 3468
Maringer
April 8, 2020, 7:59pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,659
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Gaffer58
Received  my Boris letter today, problem is after the post person had put it through my letterbox he proceeded to get a tissue/handkerchief out and blow then wipe his nose.Wondering how many times he’s done this before getting to me, so to date have left the envelope on the floor, probably open it in a couple of days. Am I being careful or paranoid?

They did tests in the US which indicated the virus can remain viable on cardboard (and therefore, I assume, paper) for up to 24 hours. I've been leaving packages and envelopes in the corner of the room for a day before touching them) wash hands after moving them, of course. Plastic (perhaps including sellotape?) it can be viable for 72 hours, metal surfaces for a number of days. Of course, if something is outside in the fresh air, the virus will be inactivated more quickly.

The CDC in the US says you can clean the grocery packaging using a weak bleach solution - 1 teaspoon per pint of water. I've been doing this and it's much easier than trying to use wipes. Just dry it off with a teatowel afterwards or let it drip dry.

It's probably a bit overkill as most infections will be person to person, but no harm in trying to remove any additional risk factor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1225 - 3468
Ipswin
April 8, 2020, 7:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Gaffer58

Pick it up carefully whilst wearing your thickest gardening gloves and bin it unopened. it tells you nothing that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum for weeks,

(it's not even personally addressed and he hasn't even signed it)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 1226 - 3468
supertown
April 8, 2020, 8:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,467
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

Pick it up carefully whilst wearing your thickest gardening gloves and bin it unopened. it tells you nothing that hasn't been repeated ad infinitum for weeks,

(it's not even personally addressed and he hasn't even signed it)

Agree, waste of 4m quid . If you really want to know the content read it online
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1227 - 3468
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 8, 2020, 9:05pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from supertown

Agree, waste of 4m quid . If you really want to know the content read it online

Wasn’t it £5.8m? I suppose it saves a few pennies with the taxpayer footing the bill for the conservative political broadcast rather than the Tory donors.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1228 - 3468
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
April 8, 2020, 9:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,832
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Maringer

They did tests in the US which indicated the virus can remain viable on cardboard (and therefore, I assume, paper) for up to 24 hours. I've been leaving packages and envelopes in the corner of the room for a day before touching them) wash hands after moving them, of course. Plastic (perhaps including sellotape?) it can be viable for 72 hours, metal surfaces for a number of days. Of course, if something is outside in the fresh air, the virus will be inactivated more quickly.

The CDC in the US says you can clean the grocery packaging using a weak bleach solution - 1 teaspoon per pint of water. I've been doing this and it's much easier than trying to use wipes. Just dry it off with a teatowel afterwards or let it drip dry.

It's probably a bit overkill as most infections will be person to person, but no harm in trying to remove any additional risk factor.

I leave the wife in the corner for 5 days after touching her.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1229 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.