Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Its happening!!! The takeover!!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

Its happening!!! The takeover!!!

This thread currently has 263,405 views. Print
117 Pages Prev ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... Next All Recommend Thread
rancido
July 6, 2019, 3:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,613
Gold Stars: 96

If he doesn't go then more people will stay away and vote with their feet.

I hope for all our sakes something is confirmed soon.

Are you saying that more fans are affected by who owns the club than the football that is on display ? On that basis then if we have a great start to the season and are top by mid October then fans will still stay away from BP because JF is still running the club? Most of the people I talk to about GTFC in the clubs and pubs I frequent stay away because of the football and couldn't care less about who owns/runs the club. They would attend because of the football and not the politics.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 470 - 1162
grimsby pete
July 6, 2019, 3:54pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,810
Gold Stars: 222
Friend of director----  Is the take over going ahead ?

Director -------------  Shut Up nothing to say,

Friend-----------   I take it it's not going ahead then ?

Director --------- Think what you like,

Friend ----------   OK  I will tell my mate who will put it on the Fishy,

Director -------  Oh shut up !!!!!!!!

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 471 - 1162
lew chaterleys lover
July 6, 2019, 5:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from rancido

Are you saying that more fans are affected by who owns the club than the football that is on display ? On that basis then if we have a great start to the season and are top by mid October then fans will still stay away from BP because JF is still running the club? Most of the people I talk to about GTFC in the clubs and pubs I frequent stay away because of the football and couldn't care less about who owns/runs the club. They would attend because of the football and not the politics.

No I am not saying that. What I am saying is that peoples hopes have been raised by talk of a takeover. That takeover would have galvanised the club and its supporters and would have given lost fans the incentive to go again, and persuaded those that were holding off buying a season ticket until the takeover was completed.

Failure for the takeover to be completed would mean less fans, and supporters would have been more understanding of a bad run of results if they knew the club was headed in a new direction under new owners.

In my opinion it is far more important for the club that Fenty's reign ends asap so we can have a fresh start.

I hope we are top of the league in October, of course I do, but all the fundamental problems will remain.
Private Message
Reply: 472 - 1162
KingstonMariner
July 6, 2019, 5:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.06
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

I think you're missing the point. A much better run club would produce more revenue which will help acheive more success on the playing side.

It's not an either or situation. It's not a case of what would you rather have, 'new owners or better performance on the pitch?'

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 473 - 1162
moosey_club
July 7, 2019, 9:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,280
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I think you're missing the point. A much better run club would produce more revenue which will help acheive more success on the playing side.

It's not an either or situation. It's not a case of what would you rather have, 'new owners or better performance on the pitch?'

But the current interpretation of a better run club is "spend less" ....it disregards supporters almost detests them is how it feels sometimes.....

a new owner with exactly the same financial clout as the current one would immediately be better off if they just gave the supporters  some respect. It wouldn't take an oligarch or billionaire to improve things....get the supporters on board and the club can go places.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 474 - 1162
Bigdog
July 7, 2019, 10:18am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from moosey_club

But the current interpretation of a better run club is "spend less" ....it disregards supporters almost detests them is how it feels sometimes.....

a new owner with exactly the same financial clout as the current one would immediately be better off if they just gave the supporters  some respect. It wouldn't take an oligarch or billionaire to improve things....get the supporters on board and the club can go places.

It's just time to break the cycle of a well intending owner having put in the hard yards and a fair slice of his money for seventeen years and only has to show a balancing of the books, a management of the debt to keep it at historically at the same level, and not being able lead the football team to anything other than a low Fourth Division league position or much worse. You can't blame JF for being frustrated that he hasn't done any better and having a bruised ego. The fans can't be blamed for wanting better than his record either, and they certainly don't buy into his futile protestations of his reign being a success. This is the sticking point, this is where the animosity lies, and will only change with a fresh start.

I don't buy into the theory that fans are staying away only because the football has been shite. It's a part of it but not the whole story. Home attendances will go up if the football and results get better, that's not in doubt. But that rise in attendances will only ever be a temporary dilution of what the increases could be. Fans, not just the diehards, need to buy into the clubs plans for the future, have a vision to cling onto and they need the facilities to be proud of and make their matchday experience a decent one even if their team loses or the game isn't great. They don't need an owner chastising them saying it's their fault, they don't understand what a great job he's doing and they're too blind and ungrateful to buy into it. If the "tyrekicker" has a chance of providing the missing pieces of the jigsaw then it's his turn to have a go. We have to break the cycle of ownership sooner rather than later, because with all of the evidence laid out in front of us easily determined from what is now a long history of his ownership, I can't see how JF is going to deliver what we need. He needs a rest from his frustrations and the fans need a rest from his frustrations too. It's time for a change.. and that's the long and the short of it, rather than hoping that the team puts together a few good performances for the fans to come back to a decrepit BP and then drift off when the team starts losing again. To be sustainable, PR and club/fan relationships are so much more than "we do our PR on the the pitch" attitudes seen written lately on this thread and hopefully we can get a new owner that can lead us down a better and more fruitful sustainable path to a club based around a re-invigorated community spirit rather than the torment of a single person's ego and the hope of having one decent season in eighteen at the right end of Division Four..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 475 - 1162
grimsby pete
July 7, 2019, 10:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,810
Gold Stars: 222
Another thing you need to take into consideration is how many managers has Fenty sacked during his term in office, ?

How many of those managers had restricted budgets so their job was much harder than it might have been ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 476 - 1162
Stadium
July 7, 2019, 10:33am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from KingstonMariner

To clarify, the initial discussion was around attendance & this point:

"If he doesn't go then more people will stay away and vote with their feet.
I hope for all our sakes something is confirmed soon."

Nobody will deny a better run business should increase revenues.
The point been made was form & league will always have the most effect on attendance.
After the information posted earlier in the thread,the ownership issue is having virtually no influence on current sales of ST's

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 477 - 1162
Stadium
July 7, 2019, 10:35am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from grimsby pete
Another thing you need to take into consideration is how many managers has Fenty sacked during his term in office, ?

How many of those managers had restricted budgets so their job was much harder than it might have been ?

Do you have evidence of that?

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 478 - 1162
promotion plaice
July 7, 2019, 10:40am

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,085
Gold Stars: 200
Quoted from Stadium

After the information posted earlier in the thread,the ownership issue is having virtually no influence on current sales of ST's

Just out of interest how many ST's have we sold so far ?

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 479 - 1162
117 Pages Prev ... 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › Its happening!!! The takeover!!!

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.