15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 21, 2019, 11:26am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I watched the highlights of this Donny game and the Town shirts look awful on the box. See them in a photo from the front in the GT and they look OK but because the telly cameras are high up in virtually every ground, you hardly ever see the stripes. Mostly you see the back, a black blob with a number on it,. The players look like the All Blacks or referees pre-posh kits. With the black shorts it looks really dull and boring. You would think that whoever designed/commissioned/bought this kit would have considered this beforehand.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 140
rancido
July 21, 2019, 12:12pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from LH
Black should be third choice behind red and white though. Have we ever been good in black socks over a season?

I never realised that the colour of our socks affected our performance. Who would have thought that?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 140
rancido
July 21, 2019, 12:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Heisenberg

Well, he does have a very valid point, Louth.

But seeing as " Joe Average " has to pay the VAT on the adult kit then surely the final cost pre tax is irrelevant. That is of course unless the average punter can claim the VAT back.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 21, 2019, 12:34pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from rancido

I never realised that the colour of our socks affected our performance. Who would have thought that?

Funnily enough it does, or at least some people in football believe it does. This last came to the fore when teams like MU started wearing grey as a third kit and even the great Fergie was saying that it was making players hard to spot in midwinter gloom and he wanted something brighter. Bright or white socks got the same argument long ago before that in the 50s when floodlights were much dimmer. The socks are often the first and sometimes only part of the player a team mate can see. So you can actually play a one-two without looking up.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 140
lew chaterleys lover
July 21, 2019, 1:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,716
Gold Stars: 236
I watched the highlights of this Donny game and the Town shirts look awful on the box. See them in a photo from the front in the GT and they look OK but because the telly cameras are high up in virtually every ground, you hardly ever see the stripes. Mostly you see the back, a black blob with a number on it,. The players look like the All Blacks or referees pre-posh kits. With the black shorts it looks really dull and boring. You would think that whoever designed/commissioned/bought this kit would have considered this beforehand.

Yes I was a bit disappointed with that.

Why have we abandoned stripes on the back of the shirt? There is no stripe on the shorts, the socks are all black and when we are attacking the Osmond end from the Pontoon it will effectively be an all black kit.
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 140
jimgtfc
July 21, 2019, 3:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,094
Gold Stars: 45

Hate the home shirt for this very reason. In fact I think it’s one of the worst since the Jarvis monstrosity. Would love to see us return to the full stripes on the back with red names and numbers.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 140
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 21, 2019, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker

Yes I was a bit disappointed with that.

Why have we abandoned stripes on the back of the shirt? There is no stripe on the shorts, the socks are all black and when we are attacking the Osmond end from the Pontoon it will effectively be an all black kit.

I can't imagine many people wanting to buy it either. It just looks drab and uninteresting and it won't tempt too many into the shop for one., like Jim says the old b/w stripes and red numbers was a lot better. I suppose we are stuck with it for the season though.

Private Message
Reply: 136 - 140
Numanoid
July 21, 2019, 6:53pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +152
Gold Stars: 14
I bought one and it looks grrreat  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 140
arryarryarry
July 21, 2019, 8:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Numanoid
I bought one and it looks grrreat  

Thanks tiger.
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 140
Rik e B
July 21, 2019, 9:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Isn't there a ruling that the number on the back must be on top of a solid colour?

Even so, say a black square just big enough to fit number in (and name) would be better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 140
15 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Home Shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.