SomeSanity
June 11, 2019, 10:28am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Genuinely intrigued Rodley as to what you think has been good in terms of PR and even more so marketing it continues to be my biggest gripe?

The PR and marketing at this club has been dog do for years, ran with no PR and marketing experience. When fans with said experience offer their help and support the club get very defensive. Yes I can see why, nobody likes being criticised, but if the lack of nous at the club does more harm to it than good and I hope the current custodians (I’m talking as a whole and not the board alone)

I bang on about it all the time. But the club and its staff simply aren’t interested in listening to fans with plans. Even the club shop staff slagged off Op Pro as ‘it took money from the clubs pocket’. They would mind, if a couple of volunteers were doing my job better than me I’d get like that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 140
arryarryarry
June 11, 2019, 10:44am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Fishy_fishtails

I am just genuinely curious to know why you think you are the one that JF needs to take the club forward? It's nothing to do with being one who toes the line I am not a sheep either I can see the good the bad and the ugly in this current regime.

The bloke in the white suit and big white hat that stands for the Monster Raving Loony Party would likely move the club forward better than the current shower that run it.
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 140
diehardmariner
June 11, 2019, 11:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
The issue for me isn't if Bigdog, or anyone else on this forum, has the required skills to move the club forward.  It's the worrying fact that the club is of the belief that it already has the in-house expertise.

Opinions on how the club are run are fine and should be respected, but I'm afraid the evidence of the clubs movement is quite evident.  Have we moved forward on ticket sales? No.  Have we moved forward with commercial activity? No.    It's that simple I'm afraid.  

I'm sure the latest accounts reveal a drop in commercial revenue, we can butter this up whichever we like but it's a failure.  It has been for the last however many years.  If anyone, either inside or outside the club, feels that the marketing campaign (or lack of ) for season tickets this summer is anywhere near acceptable they need their head checking out.  

Bigdog has raised many points, as have many other posters, of areas where the club are going wrong.  Now the club or their chronies can sneer at these and take the attitude of 'well what do they know' or they can take it as a customer feedback and act upon it.  There's a reason why the biggest and most successful companies pay through the nose for focus groups, it's to get a steer on where they want their products and services to go.  The opinions of the fans on here, Twitter, Facebook etc. are free feedback!  You would expect to pay top money to get that in other walks of business  We've got people invested in this club, people who hold it very dear to their heart and are willing to put it in black and white as to what they want to see, yet the club are ignoring it.  It's not bad-management, it's flipping arrogant!  I'm a customer and I would like to see this.....I'm the business, intercourse off this is what you're going to get.  That's the clubs approach. It stinks.

Our whole season ticket pitch was based around the hope of a feel-good factor that Steve Wraith thought might come because the Champions League semi-finals were entertaining.  WHAT THE intercourse!!!   Is that it?  Is that what this club has come to? Desperation and blind hope?  It wasn't a great season last year, that much is clear and it's not easy selling a turd.  But at least bloody try.   It's no wonder our season ticket sales are on their bottom and it's not just because we've only just signed our first player.  It's because of a lazy approach from the club which means we'll never progress under their 'leadership'.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 140
1mickylyons
June 11, 2019, 11:57am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,261
Gold Stars: 54
All of this and more..... The Club if it listened or changed it`s philosophy in regards to marketing and PR could in my opinion double it`s turnover and I doubt I am alone in that thinking?

The Club will say what are you basing those thoughts on?

Well I am basing it on 40 year`s of being an undervalued customer of GTFC . 40 years ago we were all simply supporters and if the team won we turned up in bigger numbers life was relatively simple back then . However with the Premier League things changed and for Clubs like ours which realistically had no chance of top flight football our bean counters and custodians needed to massively up their game. This never happened and things got worse Season after Season off the pitch culminating in relegation out the League . We returned after 6 years with the whole World at our feet with a fairly clean slate in the eyes of most fans who felt in the main a massive part of the Promotion campaign . It had been a long hard road back but we had done it together Board,Players,Management & Fan`s.And then....................NOWT

Out came the tried and trusted exercise book with the cry buy your season tickets popular players left amid rumours of penny pinching que damb squib on that front and sales slightly topped the previous Season`s sales . The opening gate was the biggest in years with nil away support and a home win how did the Club look to retain and harness this support IT DIDN`T

Hurst and Sniffer had enough again it appeared to be down to something behind the scenes budget related though the fan`s forum made it clear it was toxic fan`s and the pressure from said fan`s partly created by the totally pointless and irrelevent OP . This now meant that within 6 months of the Promotion we had lost the management,most of the team and the board were pretty much united in blaming it all on the fan`s SHUT UP

The fan`s and the board have both been constants throughout the Fenty years both have never really moved the average gate has pretty much been the same and so have the faces on the board so what does this mean?

It means in monetary terms unless JF or Another want to chuck money in for some reason it`s got to come from another source . The fan`s pretty much buy the same amount of ST and matchday tickets and I imagine that also goes for replica shirt sales which is probably the next biggest earner .NO EXTRA MONEY THERE

I would hope given all of the above Mr Fenty Mr Shut Up or Another would at the very least look at these points and go actually these toxic feckers may have a point here I wonder if we could actually increase our income by doing something new . Any increase in revenue gives the football club a better chance of not only survival but a chance to get back upsetting the big boys in the Championship . You might think were toxic and you don`t need us but you can`t fill a decrepit BP with less than 7k home seats WHY IS THAT?

The fan`s and I presume the board both want a new ground and like it or not we both need each other for that to happen . We are at an impasse and sadly the silent majority have also now largely had enough with the Club`s osterich mentality when it comes to improving things and gaining some momentum . The Club have mentioned the work been done around BP in the closed season and been badly mocked by some sections for some of the failings . I had hoped the Trust would lead and get all the help the Club needed in place to cover a lot of the issues that hasn`t happened either. Reading some of the comments from JF inner circle it looks to me like once again the fan`s are to blame and Bigdog and his mates clearly ain`t good enough to raise any extra funds . SEE LINCOLN CITY
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 140
pen penfras
June 11, 2019, 1:03pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -140
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from 1mickylyons
All of this and more..... The Club if it listened or changed it`s philosophy in regards to marketing and PR could in my opinion double it`s turnover and I doubt I am alone in that thinking?

The Club will say what are you basing those thoughts on?

Well I am basing it on 40 year`s of being an undervalued customer of GTFC . 40 years ago we were all simply supporters and if the team won we turned up in bigger numbers life was relatively simple back then . However with the Premier League things changed and for Clubs like ours which realistically had no chance of top flight football our bean counters and custodians needed to massively up their game. This never happened and things got worse Season after Season off the pitch culminating in relegation out the League . We returned after 6 years with the whole World at our feet with a fairly clean slate in the eyes of most fans who felt in the main a massive part of the Promotion campaign . It had been a long hard road back but we had done it together Board,Players,Management & Fan`s.And then....................NOWT

Out came the tried and trusted exercise book with the cry buy your season tickets popular players left amid rumours of penny pinching que damb squib on that front and sales slightly topped the previous Season`s sales . The opening gate was the biggest in years with nil away support and a home win how did the Club look to retain and harness this support IT DIDN`T

Hurst and Sniffer had enough again it appeared to be down to something behind the scenes budget related though the fan`s forum made it clear it was toxic fan`s and the pressure from said fan`s partly created by the totally pointless and irrelevent OP . This now meant that within 6 months of the Promotion we had lost the management,most of the team and the board were pretty much united in blaming it all on the fan`s SHUT UP

The fan`s and the board have both been constants throughout the Fenty years both have never really moved the average gate has pretty much been the same and so have the faces on the board so what does this mean?

It means in monetary terms unless JF or Another want to chuck money in for some reason it`s got to come from another source . The fan`s pretty much buy the same amount of ST and matchday tickets and I imagine that also goes for replica shirt sales which is probably the next biggest earner .NO EXTRA MONEY THERE

I would hope given all of the above Mr Fenty Mr Shut Up or Another would at the very least look at these points and go actually these toxic feckers may have a point here I wonder if we could actually increase our income by doing something new . Any increase in revenue gives the football club a better chance of not only survival but a chance to get back upsetting the big boys in the Championship . You might think were toxic and you don`t need us but you can`t fill a decrepit BP with less than 7k home seats WHY IS THAT?

The fan`s and I presume the board both want a new ground and like it or not we both need each other for that to happen . We are at an impasse and sadly the silent majority have also now largely had enough with the Club`s osterich mentality when it comes to improving things and gaining some momentum . The Club have mentioned the work been done around BP in the closed season and been badly mocked by some sections for some of the failings . I had hoped the Trust would lead and get all the help the Club needed in place to cover a lot of the issues that hasn`t happened either. Reading some of the comments from JF inner circle it looks to me like once again the fan`s are to blame and Bigdog and his mates clearly ain`t good enough to raise any extra funds . SEE LINCOLN CITY

If the club changed it's philosophy in regards to marketing and PR AND got a new stadium, then MAYBE we could double our turnover. marketing and PR alone isn't going to double it at BP. It's easy to come out and say stuff like this, but there's no facts behind it, just some ramblings from behind a computer because you and a few others that share this delusion are fed up. We didn't have fans turn up when we were good, they aren't going to turn up because they saw a nice picture.

Other than actually being successful, what do you think would actually get more people into the ground, and keep coming back? Name the things that would actually put bums on seats without just saying that the club should be doing things.

I can't think of any clubs where supporters increased without success coming first.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 140
SomeSanity
June 11, 2019, 1:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
The buck doesn’t stop with the board, it stops with the person in charge of the off field hirings.

We don’t have the right people in our off field roles. Most of what comes out of the club is farmed our. Why? Because the skills just aren’t in-house. And why is that because roles go to friends and family. I have never seen any roles advertised at this club but yet every time I get a ticket someone new serves me. Hmmmmm....

Grimsby Town FC is is a family club ... as long as you are in or friends with 4 or 5 families. The rest of us are just normal people.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 140
1mickylyons
June 11, 2019, 1:37pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

If the club changed it's philosophy in regards to marketing and PR AND got a new stadium, then MAYBE we could double our turnover. marketing and PR alone isn't going to double it at BP. It's easy to come out and say stuff like this, but there's no facts behind it, just some ramblings from behind a computer because you and a few others that share this delusion are fed up. We didn't have fans turn up when we were good, they aren't going to turn up because they saw a nice picture.

Other than actually being successful, what do you think would actually get more people into the ground, and keep coming back? Name the things that would actually put bums on seats without just saying that the club should be doing things.

I can't think of any clubs where supporters increased without success coming first.

Well I can counter this by saying Lincoln City . We ran parrelel to them and started from a much higher average gate the Season before we actually gained Promotion . Yes they had a cup run which brought in much needed revenue and we never but they quadrupled the home gates through success on the field but PR and marketing dragged in huge numbers of extra fans. Town had the success when they gained Promotion they had in excess of 15k fans in London they had 25k fans on the streets of GY and CLPS welcoming them home . I don`t need to say what would put bums on seats it`s not my job .However if it where the first thing I would do is get rid of the ridiculous pricing for under 18s and charge a nominal £10 fee for a ST with a full paying adult . The football club badly needs someone who knows how to run an office/stadium/club it won`t be cheap but it will be money well spent . Write that on the back of your flipping exercise book
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 140
bax
June 11, 2019, 1:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from pen penfras

Operation Promotion? Success didn’t come before that. It was borne out of failure.

The FACT is that the best season ticket sales in decades came after a fan led scheme, branded as ‘the worst thing that could have happened’ by the board. You can go round the houses as this thread has done but the constant is the club could do better (and it’s not down to the staff in the office, they can only do what they’re allowed to do) but it declines or alienates outside help (which other clubs embrace).

The comment about ‘why don’t you offer to help’ from one of the Fenty brothers earlier was laughable. Dozens have. People with business acumen, successes on their CVs and talent and ideas in abundance. For whatever reason those offers haven’t been taken up or people have been driven away (which other clubs embrace). That’s the clubs prerogative.

Could the club get more fans through the door? Yes. Could they make more commercial income? Yes. But they’ve proven they’re not willing to listen for whatever reason and we are where we are because of it. And as a result the yearly discussion is as boring and frustrating as it was a year ago. And the year before that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 140
1mickylyons
June 11, 2019, 1:50pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

Also you say if the club changed it`s philosophy . Well it hasn`t in the 40 years I have followed it and as you point out the tried and tested hasn`t added any fan`s either even when things were going well so it doesnt work sunshine does it? The ramblings behind my computer and my delusion shared by a few others doesn`t bother you or those like you which is fine but precisely why this Club will NEVER progress with you and your tinpot mates running the show . I will vote with my feet and not bother renewing my ST instead choosing the odd game so more money lost to the Club doubt I will be alone looking at the renewal numbers so far? This maybe won`t bother the board either but I can guarantee you one thing nobody at that club presently will do anything about trying to replace us with new fans or try and get us back . I would throw my tools in the dock and become a balloon salesman if I had presided over the past 17 years they need a big intercourse off mirror hanging in the boardroom and every member of the board should look in it they are the problem not the fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 140
SomeSanity
June 11, 2019, 1:53pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from bax

Operation Promotion? Success didn’t come before that. It was borne out of failure.

The FACT is that the best season ticket sales in decades came after a fan led scheme, branded as ‘the worst thing that could have happened’ by the board. You can go round the houses as this thread has done but the constant is the club could do better (and it’s not down to the staff in the office, they can only do what they’re allowed to do) but it declines or alienates outside help (which other clubs embrace).

The comment about ‘why don’t you offer to help’ from one of the Fenty brothers earlier was laughable. Dozens have. People with business acumen, successes on their CVs and talent and ideas in abundance. For whatever reason those offers haven’t been taken up or people have been driven away (which other clubs embrace). That’s the clubs prerogative.

Could the club get more fans through the door? Yes. Could they make more commercial income? Yes. But they’ve proven they’re not willing to listen for whatever reason and we are where we are because of it. And as a result the yearly discussion is as boring and frustrating as it was a year ago. And the year before that.

I agree with all of that.

It’s my understanding that the board are not involved with the day to day running of the club and it is the staff who lead day to day. So what aren’t they allowed to do?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 140
15 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New Home Shirt

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.