This thread currently has 24,213 views. Print
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
promotion plaice
February 20, 2019, 10:23pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,048
Gold Stars: 197

I'm not particularly a John Fenty fan but last night convinced me he is doing his best for this football club and until the right person steps up to take over he has my full backing.

We keep hearing how Micheal Jolley has bailed him out but guess who appointed Jolley !!!

Of course JF has made mistakes but who hasn't....we need to look forward now and stop banging on about the past.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 153
pizzzza
February 20, 2019, 10:29pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from toontown
Well middle aged white man would be a reasonable profile of our support in a overwhelmingly white area, with an aging population, for a sport that is significantly majority Male. So hardly surprising.

Yeah, thanks for proving my point.

Quoted from SteffiMariner

bearing in mind 96.6% are white based, I'm not sure what other diversity the club could have.

OK, I get that it is a white area, can't change that, but you have glossed over my other points. If you want to talk % I'm pretty sure around 50% are female, and a large chunk are not middle-aged. Don't you think that by including women and someone under maybe 50 and also putting them front and centre would have more appeal to those demographics?
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 153
KingstonMariner
February 20, 2019, 10:49pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

Nothing to do with a " sycophantic view " just the ability to move on. I think your bone has a very bitter, revengeful and unforgiving flavour. Are you the kind of person who bears a grudge about Germans after two world wars?

The point about the Germans after WWII is that they took considerable steps to change. Conrad Adenauer was a completely different kessel of fisch.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 153
Son of Cod
February 20, 2019, 10:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from ska face
Anyone know who this mysterious exile is that the club are working with? If you’re reading this, Fenty or exile, perhaps ask fans what they want before ploughing on with offers and plans.

What might be good for one person might not be good for the next. A fiver off a ticket might sway someone in Lord St, but it’s not much of a difference if you’re coming from London. A lift-sharing network, or club organised coach, might be more use than a blanket reduction in prices?

Who knows. Doesn’t hurt to ask though.

Yeah, it's not the matchday ticket prices that keeps a lot of exiles away from BP, it's the the train prices. If I could get back without having to book weeks and weeks in advance or have to pay a ridiculous train fare then it would make the half season ticket a hell of a lot more tempting.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 153
Marinerz93
February 20, 2019, 11:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Very boring and too much of woe is me, poor john (aka yours truly) and was Marley locked in the cupboard so he didn't upset the punters again. It seems he is still bitter towards the fishy, is it because he has no power here and his sycophants can't stand it.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/ijFCySS.gif[/img]

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 153
arryarryarry
February 21, 2019, 1:50am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I might be able to give him some credit if he climbed up and put some 100w bulbs in the floodlights rather than the 40w bulbs we have now,.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 153
1mickylyons
February 21, 2019, 7:40am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Evening last night. JF came across very well and I can`t fault him for any of his answers . The one thing that did annoy me was his interpretation of the so called bakers dozen ticket offer and how all that came about and no comment to how these were marketed and sold. The ticket offers the club eventually put out and the timing of them were not what was reccomended by those who worked on it initially and the lack of advertising and hard sell typifies what goes on when people are tasked with doing something they CBA to do. Infuriatingly the Club for reasons best known to itself work with a bloody exercise book to sell ST and Matchday tickets and keep track of what`s sold and to whom.A colour co-ordinated excel spreadsheet for the 23 games ea season telling you which seats are sold/for sale should not be difficult to set up and manage in this day and age? We ALL want GTFC to progress and sorting out a fit for purpose system for selling tickets would be a great start with very little financial outlay . The next new employee for GTFC should be an office Manager to sort out the day to day running of the Club who can bring new ideas in reference to marketing and ticket sales because clearly at the moment we are treading water. Like I say from 2 hours I can only find one minor gripe so well done John Fenty and the MT for putting the evening on.UTM
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 153
ginnywings
February 21, 2019, 9:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from 1mickylyons
I watched and thoroughly enjoyed the Evening last night. JF came across very well and I can`t fault him for any of his answers . The one thing that did annoy me was his interpretation of the so called bakers dozen ticket offer and how all that came about and no comment to how these were marketed and sold. The ticket offers the club eventually put out and the timing of them were not what was reccomended by those who worked on it initially and the lack of advertising and hard sell typifies what goes on when people are tasked with doing something they CBA to do. Infuriatingly the Club for reasons best known to itself work with a bloody exercise book to sell ST and Matchday tickets and keep track of what`s sold and to whom.A colour co-ordinated excel spreadsheet for the 23 games ea season telling you which seats are sold/for sale should not be difficult to set up and manage in this day and age? We ALL want GTFC to progress and sorting out a fit for purpose system for selling tickets would be a great start with very little financial outlay . The next new employee for GTFC should be an office Manager to sort out the day to day running of the Club who can bring new ideas in reference to marketing and ticket sales because clearly at the moment we are treading water. Like I say from 2 hours I can only find one minor gripe so well done John Fenty and the MT for putting the evening on.UTM

Agree with your points re the bakers dozen ticket offer. I personally think it was badly executed, and a tad overpriced compared to a full season ticket. The half season ticket ( i think from memory) was £210 for 11 games, which isn't even a bakers dozen, or half a season even, though i admit that may have been a different offer to the bakers dozen, which sort of clarifies my point, in that it was all a bit confusing. I was also surprised to hear mention of a deal at Christmas for 5 match tickets. As someone who attends most home games, and reads social media sites, i knew nothing of this deal until now. Surely that speaks as to how it wasn't advertised strongly enough. I would have bought one of those for sure had i knew of it.

As for the forum itself, JF came across well and seemed a bit more contrite and conciliatory than in the past, but it was basically another round of the status quo being repeated. The only thing that's changed is that we now have a manager who seems to know what he is doing, and that is carrying along the fans. MJ is the glue that is holding it all together for now, and if he were to leave, we could quickly sink back to the chaos of previous times. When Hurst upped sticks, it took us 2 managers, 2 caretaker managers and over 2 seasons before we got back on an even keel, and it almost cost us our league status once again. We still haven't got back to where we were in the league when Hurst left, and have totally failed to capitalise on the feel good factor of getting promoted back into the EFL.

I'm just hoping that we have now ridden out the storms and MJ and the board will go on to give us a team we can all get excited about. It's been a long wait.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 153
Croxton
February 21, 2019, 9:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Yes, it was telling that JF was slightly thrown by the expression 'profile of a STH' within SKA's question. Knowledge of your customer base is key in any commercial venture. We seem to put more analysis into how much beer is sold in which bar. It does appear that  'Que sera sera' is the ticket office jingle. (nice people though!)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 153
NorthseaMariner
February 21, 2019, 10:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +1,524
Gold Stars: 11
Lack of sufficient money always seems to be the problem, even for league two. It does puzzle me why we cannot get outside investment, yet what I would consider smaller clubs are getting investment. Carrying on as we are, we’re always waiting for the next hiccup to put us into a tailspin to oblivion again. It’s a worry.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.