Davec
February 20, 2019, 11:59am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,442
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from barralad

As someone who worked voluntarily for about 50 hours a week during and after Operation Promotion I was upset with the remarks about it...but a year on I've moved on which begs the question why can't others? I'd prefer to look to the future working with the club under the Memorandum of Understanding to the benefit hopefully of all supporters of GTFC.

Will this Memorandum of understanding be made public so the supporters can read it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 153
H19P1
February 20, 2019, 12:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +710
Quoted from Davec

Will this Memorandum of understanding be made public so the supporters can read it?

If it's the November 2018 MOU then I can post the words for you?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 153
Ipswin
February 20, 2019, 12:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
All great stuff but presumably the Memorandum of Understanding is between the present ownership / board and the Trust and would be invalid if the club was sold.

Does signing it last night indicate therefore that a sale is not on the horizon or will JF make acceptance of the MoU a precondition to a prospective buyer adding to any other pre-sale conditions he may have?

In fact will the Trust be guaranteed to retain it's place on a new board should the club ever be sold? I presume not

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 153
barralad
February 20, 2019, 12:28pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Davec

I cannot look at the moment but I'm led to believe that it is on the Trust website, the club website and the Supporters Direct website.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 153
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 20, 2019, 12:31pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Civvy at last

Square one is the same as square minus one I’m afraid.
(Move over Rachel Riley) 😉

Are you one of those people who sees a positive in every negative?

Then you will know that mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 153
Bigdog
February 20, 2019, 1:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
All in all a really good meeting. Well done to the Trust and JF for organising it. The openness displayed has been long overdue and puts to bed some of the questions that have been circulating for too long. I've always stated that the club is in a safe pair of hands on a financial level and this was underlined last night. It is also in a good pair of hands when it comes to the best interests of the club in the future.

Where I feel the present custodians fall short is in the extra bit of flair that is needed to market the club whether it's on a day to day basis or trying to attract new investment to enable the new stadium. Being fish merchants, accountants, solicitors and horse racing trainers that has to be completely understandable. I would like to see the club invest in a sports industry professional to help in taking the club to the next level. Someone who has a proven track record. He/she will cost money but should be able to at the very least pay for themselves and much more likely bring greater rewards if they perform to the best of their abilities. It's clearly needed and they would have the benefit of being backed by careful, hard working, dogmatic board members that love the club.

It was clear in one or two of JF's answers that the board reach stumbling blocks in their own abilities on the marketing side and indeed JF asked for anyone to get in touch if they had any ideas as he seemingly doesn't know any of the industry rudimentals including marketing has to be a constant, not having a go a few years back and then not backing it up. I can think of so many missed opportunities to get free exposure to attract investment myself let alone what a hardened professional could do. Well, the club is at a massive crossroads at the moment and in a position where there's everything to gain. I don't think there's a better time for the club to invest, and it might mean heavily, in someone who will fill that gap in ability to make a more rounded team to achieve the ultimate goals of attracting new owners with the right profile and necessary funds and procuring a shiny new stadium with additional income streams. The potential gains at this time would far outweigh the cost involved.

My post is not intended to be critical in any way against anyone in particular, I just think the board individually and as a whole lack marketing skills, the understanding of marketing and PR and a little bit of creative blue sky thinking to fully capitalise on the club's present position, and need to invest to unlock the club's full potential..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 153
1mickylyons
February 20, 2019, 2:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Bigdog
All in all a really good meeting. Well done to the Trust and JF for organising it. The openness displayed has been long overdue and puts to bed some of the questions that have been circulating for too long. I've always stated that the club is in a safe pair of hands on a financial level and this was underlined last night. It is also in a good pair of hands when it comes to the best interests of the club in the future.

Where I feel the present custodians fall short is in the extra bit of flair that is needed to market the club whether it's on a day to day basis or trying to attract new investment to enable the new stadium. Being fish merchants, accountants, solicitors and horse racing trainers that has to be completely understandable. I would like to see the club invest in a sports industry professional to help in taking the club to the next level. Someone who has a proven track record. He/she will cost money but should be able to at the very least pay for themselves and much more likely bring greater rewards if they perform to the best of their abilities. It's clearly needed and they would have the benefit of being backed by careful, hard working, dogmatic board members that love the club.

It was clear in one or two of JF's answers that the board reach stumbling blocks in their own abilities on the marketing side and indeed JF asked for anyone to get in touch if they had any ideas. Well, the club is at a massive crossroads at the moment and in a position where there's everything to gain. I don't think there's a better time for the club to invest, and it might mean heavily, in someone who will fill that gap in ability to make a more rounded team to achieve the ultimate goals of attracting new owners with the right profile and necessary funds and procuring a shiny new stadium with additional income streams. The potential gains at this time would far outweigh the cost involved.

My post is not intended to be critical in any way against anyone in particular, I just think the board individually and as a whole lack marketing skills, the understanding of marketing and PR and a little bit of creative blue sky thinking to fully capitalise on the club's present position, and need to invest to unlock the club's full potential..

There was talk several years ago of I think Adam Pearson (formerly Hull City) getting involved to a degree I think on or around the time Great Coates was the preffered site of a stadium. Somebody of his type and his experience would be a great asset for us and I am only assuming he is fairly local? John Fenty has had a lot of flak over the years for many things but he can never be accused of hiding and I genuinely hope he gets this right and gets some plaudits. You are right he does need to listen and maybe just maybe he now realises that himself?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 153
rancido
February 20, 2019, 2:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad

As someone who worked voluntarily for about 50 hours a week during and after Operation Promotion I was upset with the remarks about it...but a year on I've moved on which begs the question why can't others? I'd prefer to look to the future working with the club under the Memorandum of Understanding to the benefit hopefully of all supporters of GTFC.

…….. because there are some posters on here like a " dog with a bone " and just won't let things drop.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 153
1mickylyons
February 20, 2019, 2:21pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from rancido

…….. because there are some posters on here like a " dog with a bone " and just won't let things drop.

I don`t for want of a better phrase like or want to see people getting away with stuff (shut up etc) BUT how long do we rattle on? Far better to try and change things for the better by pointing out what needs addressing and offering to help if possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 153
grimsby pete
February 20, 2019, 2:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
I have just watched the whole of the  Q+A   and was pleased with the openness of everything that was said,

John Fenty came over very well and even took the micky out of himself regarding his dress sense,

I have been one of his biggest critics in the past so I would like to say ( again ) I apologise for some of my posts in the past. As most on here know I do suffer with depression and while I am in a dark place I have come on here and go on and on about Fenty, I try to stay off here now when I feel a depression coming on.  .So  sorry  again to John and to the fishy people on here for boring you from time to time.

We are in good hands and until some Town fan with loads of money comes in and takes over John will have my full support

Micheal Jolley is special was said a few times and I agree we should enjoy him while he is here and support him the best we can like the board promise to do.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.