1mickylyons
February 21, 2019, 10:25am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Croxton

Yes, it was telling that JF was slightly thrown by the expression 'profile of a STH' within SKA's question. Knowledge of your customer base is key in any commercial venture. We seem to put more analysis into how much beer is sold in which bar. It does appear that  'Que sera sera' is the ticket office jingle. (nice people though!)

GTFC have staff who go way above and beyond the call of duty for the cause because they care. One lady (Lisa) in her own time goes on every social media site to advertside various things as best she can and to me that`s brilliant. I have always personally taken the I will do what I`m paid for attitude to work so I won`t knock others who do the same but clearly in 2019 GTFC should have and badly need (in my opinion) an employee paid to carpet bomb social media with any offers/news. Ska`s question was a good one in so much if you cast your eye around the GTFC fanbase it`s generally a lot of 40 years + even more pensioners and a small % of women,kids and under 25s. The last 3 categories all need major surgery to boost those numbers because the first 2 the power base will inevitably drop in numbers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 153
1mickylyons
February 21, 2019, 10:31am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from ginnywings

Agree with your points re the bakers dozen ticket offer. I personally think it was badly executed, and a tad overpriced compared to a full season ticket. The half season ticket ( i think from memory) was £210 for 11 games, which isn't even a bakers dozen, or half a season even, though i admit that may have been a different offer to the bakers dozen, which sort of clarifies my point, in that it was all a bit confusing. I was also surprised to hear mention of a deal at Christmas for 5 match tickets. As someone who attends most home games, and reads social media sites, i knew nothing of this deal until now. Surely that speaks as to how it wasn't advertised strongly enough. I would have bought one of those for sure had i knew of it.

As for the forum itself, JF came across well and seemed a bit more contrite and conciliatory than in the past, but it was basically another round of the status quo being repeated. The only thing that's changed is that we now have a manager who seems to know what he is doing, and that is carrying along the fans. MJ is the glue that is holding it all together for now, and if he were to leave, we could quickly sink back to the chaos of previous times. When Hurst upped sticks, it took us 2 managers, 2 caretaker managers and over 2 seasons before we got back on an even keel, and it almost cost us our league status once again. We still haven't got back to where we were in the league when Hurst left, and have totally failed to capitalise on the feel good factor of getting promoted back into the EFL.

I'm just hoping that we have now ridden out the storms and MJ and the board will go on to give us a team we can all get excited about. It's been a long wait.

The thing I like most about MJ to date is his lack of aprehension when it comes to playing youngsters and clearly this suggests he listens to his coaches and must be happy to trust their judgement . The fans here will generally show patience if they can clearly see a plan and it`s taken a year but many of us are now seeing that plan. A younger flexible squad many home grown with a smattering of experience and quality loanees it`s exciting and the possibilities for medium/long term success are real.UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 153
barralad
February 21, 2019, 11:20am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121
[quote=140221]

Yes, it was telling that JF was slightly thrown by the expression 'profile of a STH' within SKA's question. Knowledge of your customer base is key in any commercial venture. We seem to put more analysis into how much beer is sold in which bar. It does appear that  'Que sera sera' is the ticket office jingle. (nice people though!)

The question was excellent. I'm not sure how much knowledge of that level of detail many people at J.F.s level in any organisation would have BUT people are talking about it both on here and other social media platforms so it has achieved its purpose I guess.
Just a technical point. The bars analysis is done by the Trust not the club so it isn't the case that they are looking at that at the expense of more important issues. It's actually vital for us.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 153
ex-merseymariner
February 21, 2019, 2:48pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,401
Gold Stars: 9
Good post.  I would say that though...i submitted the question.   And it was a genuine serious Question.  

You have given a better commentary than the panel did. Perhaps they could re-visit?

Quoted from Stockport Mariner
A question was asked in relation to what contingencies were in place should JF die. It caused much amusement, but in fact it was a good and very important question. As JF himself pointed out, in the event of this happening, the executors of his will would want to collect the outstanding 'benign loans', which the club would not be able to repay.

JF mentioned Key Man life insurance to cover the outstanding loans and then dismissed it as he was told that he would have to pay the premium himself and he then went on to talk about creating a new type of share class to address the issue. This is incorrect, the club would pay the premium on the Key Man policy with JF as the life assured.

The Club would be the beneficiary, which would enable them to repay his loans back to his estate and there would also be justification for having cover over and above the loan amount, which would give  the club financial stability in the aftermath.

Given JF's age, it would cost the club a few hundred pounds a month for the premium, but small change for a multi-million pound business. I'm not sure why the club has not gone down this route.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 153
ska face
February 21, 2019, 3:11pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,558
Gold Stars: 839
Quoted from Croxton

Yeah that was pretty disappointing for me, in the fact that it took 3 attempts to spell the question out and then he just skirted over it really.

I watched something the other day with someone from MUTV, they know their average viewer is a 51-year-old white man in the UK. My workplace is a fairly small organisation with about 35,000 users/members but we’ve a fairly basic system that can tell us everything we need to know about the people engaging with us or not.

Been saying it for ages, but if you don’t know who your customers are, you don’t know who you’re missing out. This is one area where I really want to see the club kicking on, it isn’t hard and doesn’t require a massive investment.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 153
friskneymariner
February 21, 2019, 3:42pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Sucession planning is an essential part of any business seems as if board are burying their heads in the sand.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 153
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2019, 12:13am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad
[quote=140221]

The question was excellent. I'm not sure how much knowledge of that level of detail many people at J.F.s level in any organisation would have BUT people are talking about it both on here and other social media platforms so it has achieved its purpose I guess.
Just a technical point. The bars analysis is done by the Trust not the club so it isn't the case that they are looking at that at the expense of more important issues. It's actually vital for us.

That's a very good point about the bars. And it highlights one of the ways the club isn't doing what it should do. I think you're being too kind to JF in this respect. GTFC isn't that big a business. £3m turnover and 200 employees. I'd expect the man at the top to know the basics about his customer base.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 153
TheRealJohnLewis
February 22, 2019, 9:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Very dull and not much new information, just JF filibustering and making people think he's being honest.  The only thing I got out of it is how close the Trust are to JF and that the trust is not impartial or represent the fans.  Terry holds as much disdain for the fans as Fenty does, just because they dare share an opinion on a message board.
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 153
KingstonMariner
February 22, 2019, 10:19pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from KingstonMariner

That's a very good point about the bars. And it highlights one of the ways the club isn't doing what it should do. I think you're being too kind to JF in this respect. GTFC isn't that big a business. £3m turnover and 200 employees. I'd expect the man at the top to know the basics about his customer base.

Any of the red crossers cre to say why they disagree?

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 153
HertsGTFC
February 22, 2019, 11:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,875
Gold Stars: 227
As a poster I’m a bit embarrassed. Reading the above makes me understand why The Fishy was met with sniggers and a few laughs when mentioned at this event.

Maybe just maybe people need to stop warring flares and progress into the “new romantic” age.

As someone once said “the past is for reference and not residence” !!!

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.