lew chaterleys lover
February 20, 2019, 5:42pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

…...like I said , some posters are like " a dog with a bone ". They would be ideal candidates to play Shylock in " The Merchant of Venice ".

My bone just has a different flavour to your sycophantic bone that's all. That is why it is a forum to air different views. I am basing my views on nearly 2 decades of failure. What are yours based on?
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 153
Stockport Mariner
February 20, 2019, 5:43pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: +553
Gold Stars: 8
A question was asked in relation to what contingencies were in place should JF die. It caused much amusement, but in fact it was a good and very important question. As JF himself pointed out, in the event of this happening, the executors of his will would want to collect the outstanding 'benign loans', which the club would not be able to repay.

JF mentioned Key Man life insurance to cover the outstanding loans and then dismissed it as he was told that he would have to pay the premium himself and he then went on to talk about creating a new type of share class to address the issue. This is incorrect, the club would pay the premium on the Key Man policy with JF as the life assured.

The Club would be the beneficiary, which would enable them to repay his loans back to his estate and there would also be justification for having cover over and above the loan amount, which would give  the club financial stability in the aftermath.

Given JF's age, it would cost the club a few hundred pounds a month for the premium, but small change for a multi-million pound business. I'm not sure why the club has not gone down this route.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 153
rancido
February 20, 2019, 5:49pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,561
Gold Stars: 96

My bone just has a different flavour to your sycophantic bone that's all. That is why it is a forum to air different views. I am basing my views on nearly 2 decades of failure. What are yours based on?

Nothing to do with a " sycophantic view " just the ability to move on. I think your bone has a very bitter, revengeful and unforgiving flavour. Are you the kind of person who bears a grudge about Germans after two world wars?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 153
RoboCod
February 20, 2019, 6:04pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from rancido

…...like I said , some posters are like " a dog with a bone ". They would be ideal candidates to play Shylock in " The Merchant of Venice ".

What rubbish. John Fenty lorded it up at that Forum, a coordinated attack on Matt Dean with the aid of his useless bald mate. He then sat back smugly as if he'd delivered some killer blow to Dean and Radio Humbs only to wake to the fact that fans were horrified by his behaviour. The man has no idea what makes the average Town fan tick, though this and the infamous car park recordings have maybe taught him albeit the harsh way.

Neither of these two things SHOULD have happened, but it's telling that they did and as a result he's backed off considerably and we've enjoyed a relatively peaceful time at board level, and if those two things brought about the current situation where he's making decent, honest and non-antagonistic  posts on here and is also part of an enjoyable and focussed fans meeting then I for one am glad that he was caught out on both those occasions for being so out of touch.
These are better times, this is something similar to what things should be like but enough of the dog/bone theory and 'letting it go', we are where we are because of his petty actions, and to forget all of that is to take your eye off the ball and let things slip back to those times.

Good on everyone for last night, I truly hope we can all keep moving on and keep our more personal outbursts and grievances to ourselves.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 153
Son of Cod
February 20, 2019, 6:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Stockport Mariner
A question was asked in relation to what contingencies were in place should JF die. It caused much amusement, but in fact it was a good and very important question. As JF himself pointed out, in the event of this happening, the executors of his will would want to collect the outstanding 'benign loans', which the club would not be able to repay.

JF mentioned Key Man life insurance to cover the outstanding loans and then dismissed it as he was told that he would have to pay the premium himself and he then went on to talk about creating a new type of share class to address the issue. This is incorrect, the club would pay the premium on the Key Man policy with JF as the life assured.

The Club would be the beneficiary, which would enable them to repay his loans back to his estate and there would also be justification for having cover over and above the loan amount, which would give  the club financial stability in the aftermath.

Given JF's age, it would cost the club a few hundred pounds a month for the premium, but small change for a multi-million pound business. I'm not sure why the club has not gone down this route.

Yeah, I also felt that question didn't actually get as full an explanation as it deserved.

I thought the 5 minute potted history of the stadium move woes was a tad unnecessary, but once Fenty got onto talking about Freeman Street he talked fairly well. The main criticism for me of the evening was that it was divided into two sections, of questions being read out and then those in attendance being able to ask things. I could be wrong, but I'm sure at the Slade fiasco one, people were following up the responses to the read out questions. Was disappointing that nobody really asked what was next in terms trying to progress the Freeman Street idea. Were people told they couldn't speak up until invited to do so?

I didn't really understand his response to the Jolley rolling contract situation either, he batted that one away a bit too easily again. Something to do with other clubs not planning 6 months into the future and us getting the same compensation regardless of contract length?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 153
HertsGTFC
February 20, 2019, 6:07pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Bigdog
All in all a really good meeting. Well done to the Trust and JF for organising it. The openness displayed has been long overdue and puts to bed some of the questions that have been circulating for too long. I've always stated that the club is in a safe pair of hands on a financial level and this was underlined last night. It is also in a good pair of hands when it comes to the best interests of the club in the future.

Where I feel the present custodians fall short is in the extra bit of flair that is needed to market the club whether it's on a day to day basis or trying to attract new investment to enable the new stadium. Being fish merchants, accountants, solicitors and horse racing trainers that has to be completely understandable. I would like to see the club invest in a sports industry professional to help in taking the club to the next level. Someone who has a proven track record. He/she will cost money but should be able to at the very least pay for themselves and much more likely bring greater rewards if they perform to the best of their abilities. It's clearly needed and they would have the benefit of being backed by careful, hard working, dogmatic board members that love the club.

It was clear in one or two of JF's answers that the board reach stumbling blocks in their own abilities on the marketing side and indeed JF asked for anyone to get in touch if they had any ideas as he seemingly doesn't know any of the industry rudimentals including marketing has to be a constant, not having a go a few years back and then not backing it up. I can think of so many missed opportunities to get free exposure to attract investment myself let alone what a hardened professional could do. Well, the club is at a massive crossroads at the moment and in a position where there's everything to gain. I don't think there's a better time for the club to invest, and it might mean heavily, in someone who will fill that gap in ability to make a more rounded team to achieve the ultimate goals of attracting new owners with the right profile and necessary funds and procuring a shiny new stadium with additional income streams. The potential gains at this time would far outweigh the cost involved.

My post is not intended to be critical in any way against anyone in particular, I just think the board individually and as a whole lack marketing skills, the understanding of marketing and PR and a little bit of creative blue sky thinking to fully capitalise on the club's present position, and need to invest to unlock the club's full potential..

Get this completely but the day to day promotion & marketing depends to what proportion of income you attach to the cost. Clearly the club has been in a position where if more goes into the marketing budget it will be at the determent of other cost lines.

I do think that there would be a benefit in working with a PR agency to define a strategy and proper execution. I guess the ideal scenario would be that similar to Marley and Day someone would join the board and bring some professional expertise in this area to add value as well as some form of a cash investment.    

Overall on reflection it feels like things are moving forward on the pitch so maybe it's time to just move on from the various debates about Hurst, Amond the Checkatade etc..and see what happens.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 153
lew chaterleys lover
February 20, 2019, 6:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,694
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from rancido

Nothing to do with a " sycophantic view " just the ability to move on. I think your bone has a very bitter, revengeful and unforgiving flavour. Are you the kind of person who bears a grudge about Germans after two world wars?

I rather think you are missing the point. We are not "moving on" as we have the identical set of circumstances that we have had for donkey's years. A non-investing major shareholder who cannot recruit outside investment, who cannot deliver the new stadium and who has a stranglehold over the club by way of benign loans. The only difference is a first-team manager who seems a decent individual and has had 4 straight wins which I am absolutely delighted about.

I have a frisson of excitement that the club could, might, may be heading in the right direction, but if you take away the current form, is it really? You may think we have turned a corner, which is fair comment, but I prefer to be rather more circumspect till things are on a firmer footing.

I will be honest though and I totally accept it would take a monumental shift in our fortunes under Fenty and the way the club is run for me to ever give him any credit; I freely admit that I am his most ardent critic so in that sense you are correct.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 153
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 20, 2019, 6:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from rancido

Moving on? From what to what? We are supposed to learn from history not simply repeat the same mistakes. Maybe that is why there were 2 world wars instead of one. But Don't Let's Be Beastly To The Germans and whatever you do Don't Mention The War!

"Ah bless! JF's saying nice things so let's forgive and forget ignore what has happened and just raise a glass to future prosperity eh?"

There is no proper positivity, it is incredibly naive to think so. Town has chanced on a good manager, the board are giving him the same as they have given every previous manager, their "full support" ...... which amounts to the status quo. The only differences are that this manager has different contacts and is prepared to give academy products more of a chance partly because he has had to.

As far as the board is concerned it is business as usual, hit and hope. Long term planning? Only about some possible new ground. Now is the time to take the bull by the horns and go for real off and on the field progress or else we will lose a disillusioned manager and be going backwards. I do wonder what the board's reaction would be if somehow Jolley performed a miracle and we went up to L1. Cardiac arrests all round?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 153
MuddyWaters
February 20, 2019, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

It's really quite bewildering how one Q&A has such an effect on memories.

Like I posted earlier, well done to JF for an open & honest session last night but it's been a long time coming.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 153
forza ivano
February 20, 2019, 7:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,147
Gold Stars: 265
Maybe it's just me but I couldn't fault much of fentus logic last night. The fact that the trust reps made very clear on several occasions that he was being factually correct counted in his favour. If you listen to him he was keen to give a very full explanation of what happened and why. The fact that there was a previously unrecognised humility in admitting to previous mistakes only added to a positive meeting.long may humility thrive!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.