16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
barralad
February 24, 2019, 2:03pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
The elections are held every year at the AGM where normally a third of the board are up for re-election each year. I'm not sure if we have a full 12 person complement at the moment but anyone who is interested in helping can attend a Trust Board meeting to see if they fancy it. We need workers.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 153
barralad
February 24, 2019, 2:07pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MarinerDevil

There isn't much info about scheduled elections, just an invitation to enquire about joining.  It's quite obvious that many people don't know how appointments are made to the board so I was hoping someone with that knowledge could share it.  I'd love to get involved with the club one day but as I'm only in my early 20s I'm not sure that I could offer much experience.  Plus I couldn't hope to find the free time to be useful.  Would be happy to help with fundraising though.

Age is no bar. I bet you understand what your peers want from their relationship with GTFC far better than I do at 61 years of age!!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 153
barralad
February 24, 2019, 2:08pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not wanting to dwell in the past but if you'll allow me to go back as far as Tuesday night, the disparaging use of the term 'keyboard warriors' from at least one member of the Trust board is hardly encouraging us to join is it?

Yeah I get that..the Man Utd Trust weren't happy either...

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 153
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2019, 3:28pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Not wanting to dwell in the past but if you'll allow me to go back as far as Tuesday night, the disparaging use of the term 'keyboard warriors' from at least one member of the Trust board is hardly encouraging us to join is it?

All the more reason to join OC.  Make your voice heard in a more effective way. As a non-member you don't have a say in it.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 153
rancido
February 24, 2019, 5:05pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,567
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from barralad

I'll probably regret this but here goes...
The events leading up to Russell Slade's eventual departure were in my personal opinion a watershed in the relationship between the club and the Trust. Out of it came the survey with those who completed it sending a very clear message to the Trust about the future direction of the relationship. This gave the Trust extra support in going back to the club seeking to strengthen the place of the Trust in the life of GTFC . Out of these discussions came the recently agreed M.O.U. which puts The Mariners Trust in a great position to move forward- a position lots of Trusts in this country are envious of. Yes the discussions were more protracted than hoped for but instrumental in those discussions in addition to Jon Wood and Dave Roberts were the two people mentioned above. Call me old-fashioned  but I fail totally to understand how the Trust using the skills of people who have previously worked for or with the football club is necessarily a bad thing. Terry has an insight into the workings of GTFC that makes him invaluable in discussions relating to the match day experience and most Town fans must be aware of Alan's previous role!
Every one has the capacity to make mistakes (yes even you Aaron). Terry resigned from his role as Chair in recognition of his. Alan has not to my knowledge made any such mistakes but appears to be damned by a mythical closeness to J.F. and the Board which I 've yet to see any proof of its detriment to the role of the Trust in representing its members.
For me there is a clear choice for people:- to either support the efforts being made to move the club/Trust relationship forward or carry on dwelling in the past (horrible though that may have been) and moaning about it on here from the outside.....

There is a saying that ex poachers make the best gamekeepers! At least if you are part of something you can effect change. If you are not part then you have no meaningful say in the outcome. It's like the right to vote , if you don't use it then you are in no position to question the outcome.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 153
Ipswin
February 24, 2019, 5:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from rancido

. It's like the right to vote , if you don't use it then you are in no position to question the outcome.

The exception being the Brexit referendum where if you voted remain you cannot question the outcome

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 153
barralad
February 24, 2019, 8:29pm
Mariners Trust
Quoted from barralad

Yeah I get that..the Man Utd Trust weren't happy either...

It appears Terry's joke about Man U fans was edited out of the video...sorry!

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 153
pizzzza
February 24, 2019, 8:58pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.06
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,701
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from barralad

It appears Terry's joke about Man U fans was edited out of the video...sorry!

Good to hear that he doesn't only make smug jokes about Town supporters...
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 153
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2019, 10:27pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from barralad

I didn't red cross you but obviously disagree regarding JFs proximity to the coal face.  My experience is that we spend far more time taĺking to Ian Fleming and co about the things which affect fans. John isn't present and I'll wager unless things go wrong and are escalated to Board level through Jon Wood he doesn't get to hear about them.  That situation is I suggest repeated in football clubs across the country.

I'd still expect JF to be able to answer the question raised positively. He owns a third of the business. If it's repeated in clubs across the country, it's not surprising so many of them are in debt. Understanding your customer base isn't the same as changing the light bulbs.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 153
1mickylyons
February 25, 2019, 10:37am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
In my experience the Trust people are decent honest people who give up there own time to try and make things between club and fans better for both parties. However the criticsm that`s come there way in regards to how slow they are to react is I feel in part justified though I am sure what will come back is they have to wait a while to get all the bodies around a table . In addition barralad  highlighted the lack of MT bodies willing to work on their behalf which again is a factor. The perception that the MT top table all being yes men from some quarters I have mixed feelings about but fully understand why it`s levelled . The MT don`t want confrontation and clearly that`s in the best interests of all parties concerned with GTFC but they are a voice that can and should be heard and if ever a time arises where confrontation is required I hope they will take up the cudgels on our behalf. One of 5 Clubs in the Country to have this signed agreement suggests they are doing a better job than most. Things don`t move as fast as I would like which I have highlighted but I believe them when they say they share that frustration.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.