Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 224 Guests

Mariners Trust Open Evening

This thread currently has 24,064 views. Print
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
pizzzza
February 23, 2019, 7:33am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,660
Gold Stars: 135
Quoted from TheRealJohnLewis
Very dull and not much new information, just JF filibustering and making people think he's being honest.  The only thing I got out of it is how close the Trust are to JF and that the trust is not impartial or represent the fans.  Terry holds as much disdain for the fans as Fenty does, just because they dare share an opinion on a message board.

Hits the nail on the head. All too very cosy for me. References to "Keyboard Warriors" and "Fishy Friends" do little to endear the board or the Trust to supporters. Didn't Rudrum resign from being chairman of the Trust due to name calling of supporters? He is still doing it and he is still there.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 153
barralad
February 23, 2019, 8:19am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,197
Gold Stars: 121
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Any of the red crossers cre to say why they disagree?

I didn't red cross you but obviously disagree regarding JFs proximity to the coal face.  My experience is that we spend far more time taĺking to Ian Fleming and co about the things which affect fans. John isn't present and I'll wager unless things go wrong and are escalated to Board level through Jon Wood he doesn't get to hear about them.  That situation is I suggest repeated in football clubs across the country.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 153
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 23, 2019, 9:07am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,514
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from barralad

I didn't red cross you but obviously disagree regarding JFs proximity to the coal face.  My experience is that we spend far more time taĺking to Ian Fleming and co about the things which affect fans. John isn't present and I'll wager unless things go wrong and are escalated to Board level through Jon Wood he doesn't get to hear about them.  That situation is I suggest repeated in football clubs across the country.

Having worked in a number of private and public organisations it is pretty normal for the CX or whatever title the person at the helm carries to be somewhat divorced from a great deal of the day to day details of that organisation. However, what the vast majority have in place is a communication process that feeds them the facts they need, or should, to be aware of. Thus I would expect Ian Fleming to summarise matters that affect the fans be it in a positive or negative way and feed this through to JF and the board.

Personally I have sent private messages and texts through to JF on a few occasions, not all of them complimentary in nature, and I believe he has responded to every one of these and always given his viewpoint on the subject in hand which I appreciate. As others have said financially the club is always in safe hands with JF at the helm but, as he appears to acknowledge himself, the time is now right for us to move forward with new investment. That said spending on the infrastructure now should include updating of the match day tickets as this remains the major source of income and the principal means in which club and most supporters make contact/communicate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 153
arryarryarry
February 23, 2019, 11:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,938
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Having worked in a number of private and public organisations it is pretty normal for the CX or whatever title the person at the helm carries to be somewhat divorced from a great deal of the day to day details of that organisation. However, what the vast majority have in place is a communication process that feeds them the facts they need, or should, to be aware of. Thus I would expect Ian Fleming to summarise matters that affect the fans be it in a positive or negative way and feed this through to JF and the board.

Personally I have sent private messages and texts through to JF on a few occasions, not all of them complimentary in nature, and I believe he has responded to every one of these and always given his viewpoint on the subject in hand which I appreciate. As others have said financially the club is always in safe hands with JF at the helm but, as he appears to acknowledge himself, the time is now right for us to move forward with new investment. That said spending on the infrastructure now should include updating of the match day tickets as this remains the major source of income and the principal means in which club and most supporters make contact/communicate.

I cannot really agree with that. He said after the Burton game we would lose £500,000 a season in non league so there was £3,000,000 drunk up the wall which would have been enough to pay off his loans and if we hadn't managed to stay up last season we could well have been on the way to losing even more, so just because he is funding the club through loans his decisions have cost the club much more.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 153
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 23, 2019, 11:59am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,514
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from arryarryarry

I cannot really agree with that. He said after the Burton game we would lose £500,000 a season in non league so there was £3,000,000 drunk up the wall which would have been enough to pay off his loans and if we hadn't managed to stay up last season we could well have been on the way to losing even more, so just because he is funding the club through loans his decisions have cost the club much more.

Take your point I was probably viewing this from the negative viewpoint that the club will not get into financial difficulties under JF. I also accept that speculating to accumulate is a risky strategy however, clearing the decks last January of our better and I guess more expensive players is not an approach I would want repeated!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 153
TownSNAFU5
February 23, 2019, 2:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Yes JF has kept the club going. We should acknowledge that.  Just look what has happened to Bolton, Coventry and Blackpool etc.  Clubs where owners have been far worse and done long-term damage.

On the other hand there could have been more investment in players to prevent our fall into NL - and which was nearly repeated last season.  NL costs us more than just money and prestige.

Apart from Jolley, and to some extent Hurst,  an arguably bigger sin has been JF/The Board appointing a number of managers that were not right for GTFC.  These managerial appointments have lead to relegation and poor league positions.

Getting these managers right (or most of them) would have most likely avoided many of the problems that we have had over the last 10 years or so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 153
grimsby pete
February 23, 2019, 2:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Yes JF has kept the club going. We should acknowledge that.  Just look what has happened to Bolton, Coventry and Blackpool etc.  Clubs where owners have been far worse and done long-term damage.

On the other hand there could have been more investment in players to prevent our fall into NL - and which was nearly repeated last season.  NL costs us more than just money and prestige.

Apart from Jolley, and to some extent Hurst,  an arguably bigger sin has been JF/The Board appointing a number of managers that were not right for GTFC.  These managerial appointments have lead to relegation and poor league positions.

Getting these managers right (or most of them) would have most likely avoided many of the problems that we have had over the last 10 years or so.

Fenty said Jolley is special so I hope he does all he can to keep him as long as possible.

Put the shackles on him and he will be gone as soon as a higher club with ambitions come calling,

Back him and with the new stadium in sight and he might stay a lot longer.

I would think Michael would love to take the club into the new stadium as a championship club.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 153
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2019, 2:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,814
Gold Stars: 187
Just thinking about how Fenty stated that for the first time, he feels that he hasn't given a manager enough financial backing and we will be looking to increase this next season.  I asked the question about how much of a risk Jolley was at the time and I wonder if he's held back considerable funds this season in case it all went a bit wrong.

If the floodlights get replaced it will no doubt be completed after the end of this financial year so I think we will turn a profit this season.

Back to budgets, he stated that all managers have been given a top half budget with the exception of Jolley so for the first time in a long while, we are punching above our weight.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 153
rancido
February 23, 2019, 6:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from jamesgtfc
Just thinking about how Fenty stated that for the first time, he feels that he hasn't given a manager enough financial backing and we will be looking to increase this next season.  I asked the question about how much of a risk Jolley was at the time and I wonder if he's held back considerable funds this season in case it all went a bit wrong.

If the floodlights get replaced it will no doubt be completed after the end of this financial year so I think we will turn a profit this season.

Back to budgets, he stated that all managers have been given a top half budget with the exception of Jolley so for the first time in a long while, we are punching above our weight.

Only if we finish the season above halfway

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 153
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2019, 6:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,650
Gold Stars: 217
Quoted from grimsby pete

Fenty said Jolley is special so I hope he does all he can to keep him as long as possible.

Put the shackles on him and he will be gone as soon as a higher club with ambitions come calling,

Back him and with the new stadium in sight and he might stay a lot longer.

I would think Michael would love to take the club into the new stadium as a championship club.

Get it but in reality where managers are concerned contracts are not worth the paper ther written on as compensation usually makes them disappear.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 153
16 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Mariners Trust Open Evening

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.