Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
grimsby pete and 10 Guests

Brexit

This thread currently has 77,450 views. Print
92 Pages Prev ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerz93
December 13, 2019, 7:58pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Ipswin

And you are really daft enough to expect that will change ?

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/brus.....qg_bqV0voo9-vufdCBX2

Change, maybe I am daft enough to believe it will change at some point, when I don't know but the biggest question for me is will we ever recover from the damage done to our Town by the EU, that I don't see.any time soon.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 880 - 918
Vance Warner
December 13, 2019, 10:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,810
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from arryarryarry

Perhaps the people in those areas were/are drunk of with thousands of EU migrants coming into their areas seeing houses, jobs, doctors surgeries, school places being taken over.

Plus it doesn't say much for Jeremy Corbyn and his far left views if die hard Labour voters abandoned their party.

That'll be why the areas highlighted tend to be some of those with the highest % of White British then. How much of the mess we're in goes back to the irrational fear of immigration in this country?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 881 - 918
Maringer
December 13, 2019, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,509
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from arryarryarry

Perhaps the people in those areas were/are drunk of with thousands of EU migrants coming into their areas seeing houses, jobs, doctors surgeries, school places being taken over.

Plus it doesn't say much for Jeremy Corbyn and his far left views if die hard Labour voters abandoned their party.

Actually, the areas with the largest leave vote are also the ones with the lowest levels of immigration (with the exception of some of the farming bits of Lincolnshire):

http://theconversation.com/har.....nly-for-brexit-62138

It's not immigration that was the issue, it was the fear/perception of immigration. Immigration certainly hasn't put much, if any, strain on local services and so forth in most of those areas. As has previously been noted, it is the failure of government to provide these things whilst being happy to rake in the taxes paid by the workers which any problems.

Oh, and for the final time. Corbyn's policies aren't far left, that's just a nonsense propogated by the right. He's a moderate social democrat and most of the policies promoted by Labour wouldn't have been out of place from a Conservative manifesto from the sixties or seventies. The same policies are currently in operation in various democracies in Europe that aren't called far left so that's a good indication that they aren't.

Also, he's not a communist and he's not a Marxist so calling him such just makes people look a bit daft.

Ah, well. It's done now. Whatever happens next, the Tories will have to take full ownership of it and we'll see how much Johnson has been lying about his plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 882 - 918
arryarryarry
December 13, 2019, 10:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
Yet again Brexit comprehensively rejected...

...in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Johnson's speech referred to a parliament that works for all, and one nation conservatism. Which nation is that? One with no customs borders within it?

Will the Conservative and Unionist Party be the party that breaks the Union? Hopefully Boris has been lying again, the liberal Boris, that was London major, is the real Boris and Brexit will get done but softened...

Personally I think there should be a referendum in  both Northern Ireland and Scotland to give both countries the right to leave the Union because I am fed up of their constant moaning and also the fact that English tax payers are sending billions to both these countries to prop them up.

I would still doubt that Scotland would vote to leave as if the want to re-join the EU they would likely have to join the Euro, even if they don't have to join the Euro it is highly unlikely they will be allowed to use the £ sterling. Joining the EU would mean a hard border with England so we would have to see how the skirt wearers would like that.  
Private Message
Reply: 883 - 918
arryarryarry
December 13, 2019, 11:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

Actually, the areas with the largest leave vote are also the ones with the lowest levels of immigration (with the exception of some of the farming bits of Lincolnshire):

http://theconversation.com/har.....nly-for-brexit-62138

It's not immigration that was the issue, it was the fear/perception of immigration. Immigration certainly hasn't put much, if any, strain on local services and so forth in most of those areas. As has previously been noted, it is the failure of government to provide these things whilst being happy to rake in the taxes paid by the workers which any problems.

Oh, and for the final time. Corbyn's policies aren't far left, that's just a nonsense propogated by the right. He's a moderate social democrat and most of the policies promoted by Labour wouldn't have been out of place from a Conservative manifesto from the sixties or seventies. The same policies are currently in operation in various democracies in Europe that aren't called far left so that's a good indication that they aren't.

Also, he's not a communist and he's not a Marxist so calling him such just makes people look a bit daft.

Ah, well. It's done now. Whatever happens next, the Tories will have to take full ownership of it and we'll see how much Johnson has been lying about his plans.

You can prove anything you like with figures it is the reality that is relevant. Walk around my East Yorkshire town and you hear plenty of Eastern European voices all over. A friend of mine has Easten Europeans virtually surrounding her house, this town has the biggest number of HMOs in the whole of the East Riding many owned and filled with Eastern Europeans, many young mothers walking the streets with young children that will fill school places, if you are lucky enough to get a doctors appointment there are always EU migrants in the waiting room.

That is why this town voted to leave with a big majority.
Private Message
Reply: 884 - 918
Marinerz93
December 13, 2019, 11:35pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Quoted from arryarryarry

Personally I think there should be a referendum in  both Northern Ireland and Scotland to give both countries the right to leave the Union because I am fed up of their constant moaning and also the fact that English tax payers are sending billions to both these countries to prop them up.

I would still doubt that Scotland would vote to leave as if the want to re-join the EU they would likely have to join the Euro, even if they don't have to join the Euro it is highly unlikely they will be allowed to use the £ sterling. Joining the EU would mean a hard border with England so we would have to see how the skirt wearers would like that.  

I find it strange that the SNP wants to break with a union that has thrived since 1707 for one that has caused Trump to impose Tariffs on Scotch whiskey because the EU gave Airbus subsides to compete with Boeing.

The new tariffs stem from a 15-year-old case that concluded earlier this month when the World Trade Organization ruled that the U.S. could attempt to recoup damages of $7.5 billion stemming from what it called unfair state subsidies given to airplane manufacturer Airbus by the E.U.

Trump imposed some $7.5 billion worth of tariffs on E.U. goods.

Good old EU eh.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 885 - 918
Limerick Mariner
December 14, 2019, 1:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,695
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from Marinerz93

I find it strange that the SNP wants to break with a union that has thrived since 1707 for one that has caused Trump to impose Tariffs on Scotch whiskey because the EU gave Airbus subsides to compete with Boeing.

The new tariffs stem from a 15-year-old case that concluded earlier this month when the World Trade Organization ruled that the U.S. could attempt to recoup damages of $7.5 billion stemming from what it called unfair state subsidies given to airplane manufacturer Airbus by the E.U.

Trump imposed some $7.5 billion worth of tariffs on E.U. goods.

Good old EU eh.

Would you rather fly in an Airbus or a Boeing 737 Max...

I expect Trump would say that the Boeing short cuts on the safety testing of the 737 Max were caused by the state subsidies to Airbus

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 886 - 918
James77
December 14, 2019, 6:58am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: +53
Quoted from Maringer

Not sure I agree with this 'Corbyn is a moderate' stuff. His policies are triangulated to win middle class votes while dressed up as radical (ie. cheap rail fares, free higher education fees) - i agree they are not Marxist

But he's been anti-EU and anti-NATO his whole political life, this is not exactly the stuff of social democrats. His crank political allies (eg Stop the War Coalition) and simplistic anti-western world view which gives a pass to some terrible people (Maduro, Milosevic, Putin, Hamas, Hezbollah, IRA etc) don't suggest he's some kind of moderate (or this cuddly grandpa image people project on him). More like Dave Spart, maybe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 887 - 918
Ipswin
December 14, 2019, 8:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Marinerz93

Change, maybe I am daft enough to believe it will change at some point, when I don't know but the biggest question for me is will we ever recover from the damage done to our Town by the EU, that I don't see.any time soon.

I am absolutely convinced it won't change for the good in my lifetime either nationally or locally and certainly any Grimbarians who voted to leave because of the possible changes to the fishing industry is going to be disappointed, its an enormous bargaining chip the EU will use in the forthcoming trade deal negotiations (and who can blame them)

Yes I'm a remainer but I'm 68 so it isn't going to affect me much, it's my grandchildren I am bothered about as I think their future will be badly affected in the long term by leaving. Nothing will change for the better in Grimsby that's for sure

I am also intrigued to see how Johnson plans to 'unite the divided country' when only 29.5% of the total population of UK, actually voted Tory.

Many remainers will continue to believe we should have remained (even the most rabid leaver will surely concede we have that right) and when Brexit is finally over (or the trade deals do not materialise or don't come up to expectations) the north/south divide will remain if all his other policies and promises made during the election campaign are not fulfilled

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 888 - 918
Bawmariner
December 14, 2019, 11:45am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +331
Quoted from arryarryarry

You can prove anything you like with figures it is the reality that is relevant. Walk around my East Yorkshire town and you hear plenty of Eastern European voices all over. A friend of mine has Easten Europeans virtually surrounding her house, this town has the biggest number of HMOs in the whole of the East Riding many owned and filled with Eastern Europeans, many young mothers walking the streets with young children that will fill school places, if you are lucky enough to get a doctors appointment there are always EU migrants in the waiting room.

That is why this town voted to leave with a big majority.

The reason immigrants stick out in places with a low number of immigrants is precisely because there are not many of them. I don't think you can accuse the stats of being wrong on EU migration either. Every Eastern European will have entered the country legally and will have been recorded doing so. Eastern Europeans provide more in tax than they take out in benefits anyway and most are working age adults without children.

It'll be interesting to see what happens with immigration after Brexit. The government has always had full control of immigration from non EU countries and yet immigration from the rest of the world is incredibly high and EU immigration is a lot lower. This suggests, despite the mantra, that the government will do very little to reduce migration. In fact we are likely to experience higher migration rates from Africa, the Middle East and Asia to replace EU migrants that leave due to Brexit. I'm going to be honest, I know which type of migrant is more culturally similar to UK citizens.

Finally, I look forward to us taking back control of EU migration. Except we won't be able to unless we create a hard boarder between Northern Ireland and Ireland with passport controls. If not any EU migrant will walk into the UK without us even knowing they are here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 889 - 918
92 Pages Prev ... 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.