August 6, 2018, 11:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Posh Harry

You never criticise individual players?

Strange as I thought you had a particular issue with a previous striker we had who we sold for a decent amount of money last season?

Presumably you are talking about the bloke who was going to play for England and star in the Premiership according to some idiots on here.

You know, the one who went to Wigan in the Championship, failed miserably and was bought up cheaply by Cardiff also in the Championship, scored in the local derby then got sent off, couldn't get in the side as it was challenging for promotion and he wasn't good enough

Went to Peterborough Div 1 on loan and warmed the bench and is now wanted on loan at Ipswich by his little ear cupping Yorkshire mentor and ship jumper Paul Hurst.

I didn't criticise him I just didn't rate him as highly as some of the loonies on here plus I thought he was a twit

Good player at Div 2 level - there, I've praised him!

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
MarinerMal
August 6, 2018, 12:09pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +783
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from "Ipswin"
Trouble is what does proving me wrong consist of?

Just playing entertaining football and the league position is irrelevant (there are some ST holders who appeared to think the type of football was the most important)

I'd go for an improvement on what we had to put up with last season.

Can't we go for playing entertaining football that is successful? Why do those two need to be mutually exclusive? Saturday was actually neither as we played in a very direct manner more reminiscent of the dark days last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
sam gy
August 6, 2018, 1:01pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from Ipswin

Presumably you are talking about the bloke who was going to play for England and star in the Premiership according to some idiots on here.

You know, the one who went to Wigan in the Championship, failed miserably and was bought up cheaply by Cardiff also in the Championship, scored in the local derby then got sent off, couldn't get in the side as it was challenging for promotion and he wasn't good enough

Went to Peterborough Div 1 on loan and warmed the bench and is now wanted on loan at Ipswich by his little ear cupping Yorkshire mentor and ship jumper Paul Hurst.

I didn't criticise him I just didn't rate him as highly as some of the loonies on here plus I thought he was a twit

Good player at Div 2 level - there, I've praised him!

So you're not into probably the best player and manager that have played for/managed us in recent times? Does your negativity know no bounds?

[img]https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xla1/v/t1.0-9/12039761_10156639571185103_2884197968019429473_n.jpg?oh=184cac2706832a1b1dd4d6a0420a6f87&oe=574C5F4F[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
Dan
August 6, 2018, 1:34pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
I guess the question is, do we actually know if Michael Jolley is a good manager?

No we don't.

He's a great PR man. But so was Marcus Bignot and Mike Newell. We've obviously not seen enough to make a judgement yet.

I have some concerns though. I don't like us playing players out of position (Clifton at RB, we know Hooper should be played on the left etc), I don't think we've played enough pre-season games, a lot of our signings are unproven youngsters, and we're still lacking in some areas.

He kept us up, but it we'd be lying to ourselves if we said there wasn't a certain amount of luck involved.

I'm in no way calling for his head, but whether he is a success is still very much an open question.

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
AussieMariner
August 6, 2018, 2:36pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +2,072
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Dan
I guess the question is, do we actually know if Michael Jolley is a good manager?

No we don't.

He's a great PR man. But so was Marcus Bignot and Mike Newell. We've obviously not seen enough to make a judgement yet.

I have some concerns though. I don't like us playing players out of position (Clifton at RB, we know Hooper should be played on the left etc), I don't think we've played enough pre-season games, a lot of our signings are unproven youngsters, and we're still lacking in some areas.

He kept us up, but it we'd be lying to ourselves if we said there wasn't a certain amount of luck involved.

I'm in no way calling for his head, but whether he is a success is still very much an open question.

Agree generally but a few points:
The reason we know Hooper should be on the left is because MJ put him there and it worked
There aren’t that many proven youngsters out there
Bignot was more BS than PR

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
rancido
August 6, 2018, 3:09pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

But he was on the cheap

Someone with absolutely no experience of management in the EFL was never going to command big wages - fact.

Reveal to us on The Fishy what his salary package is and then maybe we can decide if he was " on the cheap ".

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
rancido
August 6, 2018, 3:27pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Ipswin

Too right, if we had millions and went for Guardiola rather than Klopp I'd be most drunk off

But please note I criticise the managers (and Fenty) never the team itself or individual players as I don't see them very often and I also don't think groups of people on here slaughtering individuals (Dixon for example poor sod) takes us anywhere.

Its up to the manager whether he picks out of form players and if his decision is wrong then its him who deserves the flak not the player who is no doubt trying his best even if its not good enough

So , when a seasoned ex Premiersh*t pro like Collins makes a right fu*k up of a back pass and an experienced keeper like Macca compound the matter with a resulting own goal , it's the managers fault for picking them ! Ipswin you are a real " gem "!!!!

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
Ipswin
August 6, 2018, 4:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Reveal to us on The Fishy what his salary package is and then maybe we can decide if he was " on the cheap ".

You know of course that I can't but do you really think (as the self proclaimed expert that you are) that Jolley with absolutely no FL experience, desperate to get onto the managerial ladder in UK and out of work, demanded the same money as any experienced FL manager we might have attracted / interviewed. If he did and Fenty agreed then Fenty is an even bigger daft twit than I have always thought

Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
Ipswin
August 6, 2018, 4:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

So , when a seasoned ex Premiersh*t pro like Collins makes a right fu*k up of a back pass and an experienced keeper like Macca compound the matter with a resulting own goal , it's the managers fault for picking them ! Ipswin you are a real " gem "!!!!

But they weren't out of form (allegedly) were they? They were just shite on Saturday, the sort of shite GTFC seems to attract sadly

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
realist
August 6, 2018, 4:49pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +5 / -18
Approval: -2,685
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from sam gy

So you're not into probably the best player and manager that have played for/managed us in recent times? Does your negativity know no bounds?

You are showing how young you are. In the greater scheme of things both were shite
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.