Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 4, 2018, 6:16pm
Sorry Michael, but if you don't like some of the comments from behind you in the Main Stand you need to remind yourself that 5800 Town fans shelled out to watch that. Maybe think of that when 3000 season ticket holders have second thoughts about coming to the League Cup game against Rochdale which I assume will be full price.
Posted by: Yoda, August 4, 2018, 6:23pm; Reply: 1
Another performance like that he’ll get far worse comments.
Posted by: chaos33, August 4, 2018, 6:24pm; Reply: 2
I heard some of the comments he was referring to and they were really savagely abusive, unfair and unhelpful.

He did say he felt for the fans and he did accept the performance was unacceptable.

Obviously we'll all be feeling bemused/angry/disappointed etc at the inept performance but we're going to make things much worse if this is going to happen on day one, even if we were really poor.

I'm relieved I didn't take my 5 year old and I won't be changing my mind.
Posted by: Mikey_345, August 4, 2018, 6:25pm; Reply: 3
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Sorry Michael, but if you don't like some of the comments from behind you in the Main Stand you need to remind yourself that 5800 Town fans shelled out to watch that. Maybe think of that when 3000 season ticket holders have second thoughts about coming to the League Cup game against Rochdale which I assume will be full price.

Agree in principal but it depends what the comments where. There is a line....

Would doubt he’d mention it if it was the usual frustrated fan stuff... but happy to be corrected.
Posted by: 11MARINER11, August 4, 2018, 6:27pm; Reply: 4
Shocking , just shocking . That's all
Posted by: Harry Haddock, August 4, 2018, 6:29pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He never said he didn't like the comments. He said they were interesting ;)
Posted by: Ipswin, August 4, 2018, 6:43pm; Reply: 6
It seems the wonderful Mr Jolley is more touchy than Hurst.

If you don't like the heat and all that

Is he really surprised? Looking back on here many seemed to thinkt he was going to win the Champions League at least

Players on the cheap? Make that manager on the cheap too
Posted by: Vance Warner, August 4, 2018, 6:44pm; Reply: 7
Thought he got that spot on in his interview. It’s no good complaining about the amount of money it’s cost if you’re going to spend 90 mins shouting counter productive abuse which is only going to make performances worse. Jolley has now seen the best and worst of our support. It’s been commented on by every manager I can remember. For the record it doesn’t happen to this extent at all clubs.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 4, 2018, 6:46pm; Reply: 8
Makes me laugh that those in the main stand don't make a noise when we're doing well, but as soon as things go wrong, they're happy to throw abuse about.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 4, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 9
Quoted from Mariner93er
Makes me laugh that those in the main stand don't make a noise when we're doing well, but as soon as things go wrong, they're happy to throw abuse about.

THIS X 100 000,000!

Some people are absolutely desperate for us to play badly so they can shout abuse!

There are some on here mentioning no names (cough *Ipswin* cough) that seem to revel in Town losing!
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 4, 2018, 6:54pm; Reply: 10
It was utter shite today but there were people around me who literally couldn't wait for Dixon to do anything wrong so they could start giving him grief. I actually heard somebody say 'I've lost count of the number of times......' three minutes into the new season.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 4, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from Ipswin

Is he really surprised? Looking back on here many seemed to thinkt he was going to win the Champions League at least

Well that just not true. For a start we're in league 2 and only premier league teams qualify for the champions league, meaning we'd have to win 3 promotions and then finish in the top 4 in the PL for us to even make the group stages, and then there's navigating those plus 3 knockout stages just to make the final against world class opposition.

I can't think any rational Town fans would be expecting MJ to win the champs league on our meagre 1m or so budget per season.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 4, 2018, 7:05pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from Mighty_Mariner

Well that just not true. For a start we're in league 2 and only premier league teams qualify for the champions league, meaning we'd have to win 3 promotions and then finish in the top 4 in the PL for us to even make the group stages, and then there's navigating those plus 3 knockout stages just to make the final against world class opposition.

I can't think any rational Town fans would be expecting MJ to win the champs league on our meagre 1m or so budget per season.

Trust you to take my comment literally

My point of course was that every fornicator was creaming their jeans about a financial dealer with U23 management experience and a relegation from the Swedish premier league.

Any doubts or criticisms were greeted with adverse comments or worse.

He won a few games and kept us up. That's last seasons news Everything starts afresh from today and it doesn't look good

A bit early to talk of changing the manager ? Yes of course it is but please please Mr Fenty don't leave it too long this time. If it's going mammaries up don't prevaricate again.. He's made the signings, they're his choices and he's lining them up his way so no excuses please!

Posted by: golfer, August 4, 2018, 7:10pm; Reply: 13
I think they should put the dugouts in front of the Findus Stand. None of the Main Stand riff raff shouting abuse during an "unlucky" defeat. All he would here is "Hard luck old chappie,better luck next time."               {the useless bstrds]
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 4, 2018, 7:12pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from Ipswin

My point of course was that every fornicator was creaming their jeans about a financial dealer with U23 management experience and a relegation from the Swedish premier league.

He won a few games and kept us up. That's last seasons news Everything starts afresh from today and it doesn't look good

A bit early to talk of changing the manager ? Yes of course it is but please please Mr Fenty don't leave it too long this time. If it's going mammaries up don't prevaricate again.. He's made the signings, they're his choices and he's lining them up his way so no excuses please!

Not great but playing players out of position doesn’t help hopefully MJ will learn from this If he doesn’t he’ll be gone by Xmas but having said that Fgr do have a big playing budget and it showed today tbh
Posted by: TheCodfather1966, August 4, 2018, 7:19pm; Reply: 15
Doesn't this all sound familiar, hope Jolley doesn't turn out to be another Slade.............  Accept it Jolley, when its that bad people are going to hurl abuse, they have paid good money which in my book gives them the right too.
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, August 4, 2018, 7:32pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from Ipswin

And trust you to cream your jeans at the first sign of negativity....

You must have absolutely loved the goals coming in today so you could come on here spouting your bile about how you were right about Jolley all along and that if we'd appointed Paul Harsley as you'd wanted we'd have won 4-0 and all would be rosy.

Well your negativity bores me.... Grow a sense of humour and actually support your bloody football club for a change instead of moaning about every single little thing.

You may just surprise yourself Swin!
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 4, 2018, 8:09pm; Reply: 17
Look, all said n done we got our @rses spanked today, jolley faced the media and made no excuses and did not single out a player although he knew who screwed up...my concern lies with the fact that in the first half we we're lucky to go in 1-0 up and fgr passed us off the pitch and he did nothing to rectify the problem at half time, so I must have reservations that maybe MJ is not as tactically astute as sone thought.....only one game in, I'm not judging yet but if the cycle keeps repeating itself then some serious conversations with the board and the manager will need to be had..
Posted by: chaos33, August 4, 2018, 8:17pm; Reply: 18
Quoted from TheCodfather1966
Doesn't this all sound familiar, hope Jolley doesn't turn out to be another Slade.............  Accept it Jolley, when its that bad people are going to hurl abuse, they have paid good money which in my book gives them the right too.

I just can't understand this view at all. This wasn't people shouting 'it's not good enough' or 'get your finger out' or 'this is sh1t' and such....this is really angry, personal, disrespectful abuse that I heard in the main stand. With kids all around.

To be fair to Jolley, he mentioned it but made little or nothing if it. Civilised society wouldn't have it. It wouldn't happen in yours or my workplace. I don't think that paying to watch gives you the right to that kind of abuse at all. Criticism yep. Disappointment, anger - all part and parcel really, but what I heard was really disrespectful and very very unfair after one bad game.
Posted by: jock dock tower, August 4, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from chaos33

I just can't understand this view at all. This wasn't people shouting 'it's not good enough' or 'get your finger out' or 'this is sh1t' and such....this is really angry, personal, disrespectful abuse that I heard in the main stand. With kids all around.

To be fair to Jolley, he mentioned it but made little or nothing if it. Civilised society wouldn't have it. It wouldn't happen in yours or my workplace. I don't think that paying to watch gives you the right to that kind of abuse at all. Criticism yep. Disappointment, anger - all part and parcel really, but what I heard was really disrespectful and very very unfair after one bad game.

Sadly, it wouldn't be BP without it.

Posted by: Ipswin, August 4, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 20
No doubt Jolley will cup his ear at the abusers when we win the play off final
Posted by: Kris2, August 4, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 21
Blames the players,blames the fans. Typical really lol. Nobody else but you got it wrong MJ, bad  team selection, bad formation,poor game plan.

He should be a man about it and accept the blame for today. If you don't want abuse MJ then deliver a team and game plan that offers good football and wins. Better yet if you get it wrong hold your hands up and admit it.
Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 4, 2018, 8:43pm; Reply: 22
It's okay saying the players didn't stick to the game, prey tell MJ, what the f@ck was the game plan!!!
Posted by: GrimRob, August 4, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 23
Every manager we have mentions from time to time the comments of those behind them in the Main Stand. It's part of the job and it gets to some more than others, but it is bound to affect the managers they are not robots.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, August 4, 2018, 8:54pm; Reply: 24
There was plenty of hysterical nonsense from fans today. The same fans telling me before the kick off that they thought Jolley would take us up this season were the ones haranging the players and calling him clueless.

It was excrement, but it was the first game of the season. We look light in quality but he got us going last season. Not looking forward to that style of play though if it continues.
Posted by: Rick12, August 4, 2018, 9:04pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from Vance Warner
Thought he got that spot on in his interview. It’s no good complaining about the amount of money it’s cost if you’re going to spend 90 mins shouting counter productive abuse which is only going to make performances worse. Jolley has now seen the best and worst of our support. It’s been commented on by every manager I can remember. For the record it doesn’t happen to this extent at all clubs.

I think though this club is maybe a bit more working class than most and this has it pros.A lot of the fanbase will appreciate a tryer.

Likewise the weight of expectation by some fans may weigh on the players after matches via sites such as this one after a bad result.Hence Iam sure most if not all players and management  read the fishy.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 4, 2018, 9:18pm; Reply: 26
So it was the players fault and he also had a go at some of the fans, disappointed he didn't accept some of the blame and suggest he got the team selection or tactics wrong.
Posted by: chaos33, August 4, 2018, 9:33pm; Reply: 27
He didn't 'have a go at some of the fans'.
Posted by: mariner91, August 4, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 28
MJ should accept some blame, you don't lose 4-1 at home and be thoroughly outplayed if you get your tactics and personnel correct.

However, I've listened to the interview and I don't disagree with him when it comes to the bile being shouted from the stands. Whilst our fans can be magnificent in getting behind the team when things are going well, we also have a much higher percentage of utter arseholes compared to other clubs. We lost today, badly. We were also very poor. But I saw on social media some twat telling Jolley to "f**k off back to Yorkshire". It's day one of the season. That is quite incredible and I bet he's one of those bellends who will in the next sentence claim we've got "the best fans in the country".

I don't disagree that you can comment on how badly a game is going but we've all heard it on numerous occasions where the comments become overly vile and personal. Hilariously, it's generally these same people that get arsey when they're called out for it. It's no coincidence that near enough every manager in the 20 years I've been attending have mentioned it at some point.
Posted by: Grantley, August 4, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 29
People are still getting angry when the manager doesn't lick their ringpiece? Oh dear...
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 4, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from chaos33
He didn't 'have a go at some of the fans'.

Yes he did, he said most of the the fans came to support the team suggesting some didn't. What ever the rights and wrongs about comments from the stand, having a dig like that after such a shite performance from his team was misplaced in my opinion.
Posted by: oldun, August 4, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from Mariner93er

It took 23 mins for some near me to start their negative comments.
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 4, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 32
Regardless of whether the performance was shite or not, it does not make it right to shout personal insults. I work in customer service, and if a paying customer wants to complain and shout at me, I have to accept it, but if they get personal, I am well within my rights to call them out on it and ask them to leave. It's no different here.
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 4, 2018, 10:18pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from Mariner93er
Regardless of whether the performance was shite or not, it does not make it right to shout personal insults. I work in customer service, and if a paying customer wants to complain and shout at me, I have to accept it, but if they get personal, I am well within my rights to call them out on it and ask them to leave. It's no different here.

Are you suggesting fans who shout unsavoury comments should be asked to leave? You clearly don't get to many games. After some of the crap that has been on show for the past 20 odd years some games would have ended with just a few fans left in the ground.
Posted by: Bigdog, August 4, 2018, 10:19pm; Reply: 34
I hate those negative clever trouser "look at me" foghorns at BP. Their actions don't help anyone, but as long as they feel clever and important then that's ok to them.. Especially right behind the dugouts....
Posted by: Mariner93er, August 4, 2018, 10:20pm; Reply: 35
You're missing the point. We've all been angry and shouted how crap we are. Of course that is fine, but there is a line that can be and is crossed by some.
Posted by: Yoda, August 4, 2018, 10:35pm; Reply: 36
We made FGRlook like Brazil
Posted by: MarinerBen, August 4, 2018, 10:57pm; Reply: 37
Just listened to MJ's post match interview and I'm not sensing any real anger towards the fans comments. Again, always coming across as affluent and composed in his interviews.

You never know, FGR could be title winners...
Posted by: chaos33, August 4, 2018, 11:04pm; Reply: 38
I think they'll be a team that's challenging for top 7 (reasonable to presume that their budget is in that bracket too)  and how they played today made me feel that more confidently. They've got some good players, pass and move well, keep possession and shape and have a goalscorer. They also looked fit, played with intelligence and urgency and quickly identified weaknesses in our game that they exploited.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 4, 2018, 11:34pm; Reply: 39
He was right about the players not playing the plan but to be honest his first eleven was a big mistake they were certainly not the best eleven at playing that system.
Posted by: Perkins, August 4, 2018, 11:50pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from chaos33
I think they'll be a team that's challenging for top 7 (reasonable to presume that their budget is in that bracket too)  and how they played today made me feel that more confidently. They've got some good players, pass and move well, keep possession and shape and have a goalscorer. They also looked fit, played with intelligence and urgency and quickly identified weaknesses in our game that they exploited.

Can't disagree with that, however, I do think we made them look better then they probably are.

Posted by: chaos33, August 5, 2018, 12:13am; Reply: 41
Yeah maybe so. The way they played though - that's what I was hoping for from us.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 5, 2018, 5:10am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Perkins

Can't disagree with that, however, I do think we made them look better then they probably are.

Yeah giving away comedy goals does not help either.

Absolute joke defending from a team that you can truly say absolutely lost "the plot/plan."

Do I feel any better after sleeping on it?

DO I FECK WE WERE A LAUGHING STOCK, IT WAS A NIGHTMARE NOT ONE POSITIVE CAME OUT OF THAT GAME.
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, August 5, 2018, 7:01am; Reply: 43
Quoted from Mariner93er

Football isn’t real world though is it and happens at every club regardless of what anyone says on here , not saying I agree with it I’m saying it happens.
Posted by: Youngy, August 5, 2018, 7:40am; Reply: 44
Quoted from Ipswin

All he said was that some of the comments were 'interesting' and in the same interview went on to apologise to the supporters for the performance and suddenly he's more 'touchy 'then Hurst?

You are desperate to be proven right arnt you?
Posted by: arryarryarry, August 5, 2018, 5:56pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Mariner93er

Not sure what you are selling to your customers but if you sold me something that turned out to be a pile of excrement I would want my money back.

Any chance you could pass on some of your customer service knowledge on to JF so we could all have a refund after Saturday's game.  
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2018, 5:59pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Youngy

You are desperate to be proven right arnt you?

Bloody hell I hope not - I think we'll be relegated, that's one thing I really want to get wrong
Posted by: rancido, August 5, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from Ipswin

Bloody hell I hope not - I think we'll be relegated, that's one thing I really want to get wrong

You made it perfectly clear that you didn't want MJ as manager. I'm sure you don't want us to get relegated but I'm 100% sure you would like to be proved right in  that MJ wasn't a good choice as manager.
Posted by: CodHead, August 5, 2018, 7:28pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from Ipswin

Jesus, calm down it's just 1 match. Get a grip!
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2018, 7:36pm; Reply: 49
Quoted from rancido

You made it perfectly clear that you didn't want MJ as manager. I'm sure you don't want us to get relegated but I'm 100% sure you would like to be proved right in  that MJ wasn't a good choice as manager.

Well if he felicitations up I'll say I told you so, just as if he succeeds I'll have to admit I was wrong.

I just didn't (and still don't) share every other buggers inexplicable over the top support for his appointment when no one knew anything about him. I wanted an experienced man (but if Fenty was determined to have someone with no experience I favoured someone else) however he managed to motivate the shower of excrement who were posing as a first team squad and avoided relegation so in that respect I was wrong.

But its a new season now, last year's amazing results mean nowt, he's got to do it again and I have my doubts that he can. We'll see next May (or before perhaps)
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2018, 7:38pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from CodHead

Jesus, calm down it's just 1 match. Get a grip!

But he was on the cheap

Someone with absolutely no experience of management in the EFL was never going to command big wages - fact.

Posted by: Northbank Mariner, August 5, 2018, 7:46pm; Reply: 51
And Paul Hurst had a shed of league experience did he??....No!!....Jolley came with a pretty solid grounding in academy's and also with under 23s at Burnley..what I have not looked at is how good the performances and results for those under 23s were under Jolley...I will not pass judgement yet but listening to the way he interviews on the radio I reckon he sold himself to Fenty and the board, so I'm not with "We got him on the cheap" brigade at all....
What I do worry about is whether he has the tactical nouse for this league and maybe he expects to a level of football better suited for higher leagues than league 2...
Posted by: HertsGTFC, August 5, 2018, 7:49pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from Ipswin

But he was on the cheap

Someone with absolutely no experience of management in the EFL was never going to command big wages - fact.

He won’t get much in the way of wages when his biggest critics rarely go to games.

Though I do (for once) agree that the expectations of some where out of hand.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 5, 2018, 7:51pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from Ipswin

Well if he felicitations up I'll say I told you so, just as if he succeeds I'll have to admit I was wrong.

I just didn't (and still don't) share every other buggers inexplicable over the top support for his appointment when no one knew anything about him. I wanted an experienced man (but if Fenty was determined to have someone with no experience I favoured someone else) however he managed to motivate the shower of excrement who were posing as a first team squad and avoided relegation so in that respect I was wrong.

But its a new season now, last year's amazing results mean nowt, he's got to do it again and I have my doubts that he can. We'll see next May (or before perhaps)

I don't normally agree with your negativity Ipwsin but on this occasion I completely agree with you.
MJ is a good man but at the end of the day you are judged by how many games you win and I can't see us winning any time soon with what we have got.

Posted by: CodHead, August 5, 2018, 8:12pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Ipswin

But he was on the cheap

Were you saying that after the Notts game?
Posted by: Biccys, August 5, 2018, 8:22pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from arryarryarry

Not sure what you are selling to your customers but if you sold me something that turned out to be a pile of excrement I would want my money back.

Any chance you could pass on some of your customer service knowledge on to JF so we could all have a refund after Saturday's game.  

That's not the argument at all. If you bought something sub standard and went to complain about it in the shop you bought it and started calling the salesperson a male private, useless at their job and should intercourse off back to where they came from, you'd get thrown out of the shop. And rightly so. If you presented your faulty goods to them in a calm and respectful manner they'd help you out and replace it for you.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, August 5, 2018, 8:24pm; Reply: 56
I love how those who go into meltdown over MJ making some passing comment over a small number of fans are the ones who think he should grow a thicker skin. All the same people still upset about a nothing remark about being spoilt.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 5, 2018, 8:27pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Biccys

That's not the argument at all. If you bought something sub standard and went to complain about it in the shop you bought it and started calling the salesperson a male private, useless at their job and should intercourse off back to where they came from, you'd get thrown out of the shop. And rightly so. If you presented your faulty goods to them in a calm and respectful manner they'd help you out and replace it for you.

I'll be in the ticket office calm and respectful first thing Monday to get a refund on my season ticket   :)

Posted by: Biccys, August 5, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from promotion plaice

I'll be in the ticket office calm and respectful first thing Monday to get a refund on my season ticket   :)

Ha! Good luck!
You didn't pay for 3 points, you paid to witness 90 minutes of football. The quality isn't guaranteed!
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 5, 2018, 8:30pm; Reply: 59

I don't normally agree with your negativity Ipwsin but on this occasion I completely agree with you.
MJ is a good man but at the end of the day you are judged by how many games you win and I can't see us winning any time soon with what we have got.

How can you agree with this numpty? He didn't even attend the game. For some reason, I can't fathom out he has an agenda against MJ. Maybe he's Slade's lovechild, I'm not sure.

MJ did a great job of keeping us up when we looked doomed last season. The players looked fitter, more organised and more of a team under his tutalege in those last few games. I still believe, player for player we have a much better squad than last year.

Anyone, who expected us to go from near relegation to promotion in one season was being a little to hopeful. We will finish around mid table after a poor start with a strong finish to the season.

Now to the match. Yes, we were outplayed and yes there were some horrendous mistakes. However, it was the first game of the season against, IMO, was one of the best sides I've seen come to BP in a number of year. I think FGR are in for a very strong season on the basis of that performance.

MJ has much to improve on for the Rochdale and Lincoln games. I'm not sure about Rochdale but Lincoln will not present the same problems FGR did. We maybe able to cope with Lincoln's direct style a little better. Lincoln are a very strong side don't get me wrong and to get a point from that game we will have done well. But we don't need people turning on MJ after a few games.

He has put some much needed infrastructure behind the scenes of this club and I suspect it will take more than a season for us to see the fruits but I firmly believe we are on the correct path.

Ignore Ipswin, he has some agenda against supporting this manager for some reason. Be patient and I'm sure MJ will deliver eventually but this is a season of transition and inconsistent results.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2018, 8:51pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from CodHead

Were you saying that after the Notts game?

Are you saying he got a pay rise after that game?

I'm saying he didn't command the wages an experienced manager would have wanted and that, as well as selling his ideas and himself to Fenty, his wage demand inevitably also had a bearing

Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 5, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 61
Quote:
"ignore Ipswin, he has some agenda against supporting this manager for some reason. Be patient and I'm sure MJ will deliver eventually but this is a season of transition and inconsistent results."
Unquote.

Just this manager??

Lol you not been on here long then?
Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2018, 8:58pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from MarinerMal

Ignore Ipswin, he has some agenda against supporting this manager for some reason. Be patient and I'm sure MJ will deliver eventually but this is a season of transition and inconsistent results.

I don't have an agenda against him at all as I have already explained (although perhaps I used some larger words than you are used to so you didn't understand) I simply did not and still do not buy into the ridiculous rose-tinted spectacles, grasping-at-straws, for felicitations sake save us from Slade's member-ups, desperation fenzy, that surrounded him when his name was first muted.

Posted by: Ipswin, August 5, 2018, 9:00pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from Mrs Doyle
Quote:
"ignore Ipswin, he has some agenda against supporting this manager for some reason. Be patient and I'm sure MJ will deliver eventually but this is a season of transition and inconsistent results."
Unquote.

Just this manager??

Lol you not been on here long then?

Totally unfair, I was 100% delighted with and supportive of the appointments of both Newell and Slade

Posted by: CodHead, August 5, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from Ipswin

Totally unfair, I was 100% delighted with and supportive of the appointments of both Newell and Slade

We could have Pep Guardiola as our manager and a billion in the bank, yet you'd still criticise the team. A bit of positivity would be appreciated.
Posted by: Jaws, August 5, 2018, 9:40pm; Reply: 65
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but certain people in earshot of the dugout have probably cost this team a few points over the years.

Our longest serving manager in the past 20 years, the only manager to give us a promotion in the past 19 years was harassed by these same people. He's now 2 divisions higher, with a core of his squad here playing in either League 1 or possibly the Championship.

The people shouting abuse every game at every misplaced pass, skewed shot, lost tackle wouldn't know a good manager or player if it hit them in the face. I don't sit in the lower much these days but wish the main stand would direct their abuse at the opposition or the officials like they do in the lower!

We're a small undesirable town in the 4th tier with a low budget - people need to get real and back the boys.

Jolley is realistic - he never mentioned the mass exodus after the 4th goal because it wasn't unreasonable. Whereas some of the comments 1hr into a 46 game is unreasonable, at that point we were 0.1% into the league season - hardly (and hopefully not) a sign of where we'll be in May!
Posted by: GrimRob, August 5, 2018, 9:55pm; Reply: 66
There are 70 hours in a football season, so 1 hour into 1 game is 1.4% of the season!
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 5, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Jaws
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but certain people in earshot of the dugout have probably cost this team a few points over the years.

Our longest serving manager in the past 20 years, the only manager to give us a promotion in the past 19 years was harassed by these same people. He's now 2 divisions higher, with a core of his squad here playing in either League 1 or possibly the Championship.

The people shouting abuse every game at every misplaced pass, skewed shot, lost tackle wouldn't know a good manager or player if it hit them in the face. I don't sit in the lower much these days but wish the main stand would direct their abuse at the opposition or the officials like they do in the lower!

We're a small undesirable town in the 4th tier with a low budget - people need to get real and back the boys.

Jolley is realistic - he never mentioned the mass exodus after the 4th goal because it wasn't unreasonable. Whereas some of the comments 1hr into a 46 game is unreasonable, at that point we were 0.1% into the league season - hardly (and hopefully not) a sign of where we'll be in May!

Professional football is a bear pit.

Win and you are a hero. Lose and you will get hammered. If the main stand regulars were shouting abuse when we were winning then that is out of order. If they were shouting abuse at 4-1 down at home in the first game of the season then that is fair enough.

If you are in the professional game and over react to crowd reactions then you need a talking to. Believe me it happens at EVERY single club in the country bar none.

If we win the next game it will all be forgotten. if we lose then the stinging flak will persist. It is just he way it is.

Many years ago a victory was met with a "well done lads" and a defeat with "hard luck lads." Those days are well and truly over.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, August 5, 2018, 10:01pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from Jaws

We are not a "small town" by any stretch and not undesirable either come to think of it.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, August 5, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 69
There are some simple facts from yesterday. FGR have been in the league one year and quite comfortably outplayed us and had a plan. At no time did we look capable of beating them and at no time did we ever look like 'executing our plan' whatever that was. MJ earned some credits last season but they will soon be used up if that performance is repeated. We look at least three players short of what's needed.
Posted by: Jaws, August 5, 2018, 10:17pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from GrimRob
There are 70 hours in a football season, so 1 hour into 1 game is 1.4% of the season!

Forgot to multiply by 100, but still 1.4% isn't a lot.
Posted by: Maringer, August 5, 2018, 10:41pm; Reply: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters
There are some simple facts from yesterday. FGR have been in the league one year and quite comfortably outplayed us and had a plan. At no time did we look capable of beating them and at no time did we ever look like 'executing our plan' whatever that was. MJ earned some credits last season but they will soon be used up if that performance is repeated. We look at least three players short of what's needed.

I think time in the league is less relevant than money spent. We might have had two years back, but I'm guessing they've spent more than double (probably a lot more) the amount that we have in their one year. Money talks.

If it were, say, Tranmere who had played like that and beaten us yesterday (assuming they had spent the same), there wouldn't be the same whinging about the perceived unfairness that such a poorly-supported club had won. I'm sure many would have accepted it with less complaint.

It doesn't matter how many people watch them if their owner has the means to keep chucking enormous amounts of money at the club, as he has for several years now.
Posted by: Mrs Doyle, August 5, 2018, 10:45pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from Jaws

I sit directly behind the dugout and can honestly say I did not hear that much abuse directed at any one player or the manager. I did hear plenty of abuse hurled at their manager and his gobby no2 for constantly whinging to the third official.  At the end, one town fan was really ripping into their manager who was equally giving it back big time and refs and officials need protection if they have had a dodgy game. I suggest after you go sit behind the dugout against Lincoln you may want to change your views. i have been in every stand in B.P. the can assure you the reactions are the same.
Posted by: promotion plaice, August 5, 2018, 11:35pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from CodHead

We could have Pep Guardiola as our manager and a billion in the bank, yet you'd still criticise the team. A bit of positivity would be appreciated.

Not too sure how Pep would get on with Mr Fenty but at least the loan would be wiped out.
We could also have another gents toilet in the lower.......happy days

Posted by: CodHead, August 6, 2018, 6:27am; Reply: 74

Not too sure how Pep would get on with Mr Fenty but at least the loan would be wiped out.
We could also have another gents toilet in the lower.......happy days

We know what Mr Fenty is like, he'd make the fans supply the transfer budget.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, August 6, 2018, 6:46am; Reply: 75
I was the opposite side of the pitch from MJ in the lower so no idea what abuse he got but in the lower the fan`s were generally supportive throughout til the 4th goal.I would say the vast majority of fan`s I encountered walked off in stunned silence me included and even the booing was muted. MJ needs to get far better performances than that and I am sure he will,the lack of pre season games could easily be a factor cos it looked like that was how Town played whilst FGR played a League game? Oh and I see a few people mention it and I fully agree Macca needs to change that top for something far more visible.
Posted by: Ipswin, August 6, 2018, 10:00am; Reply: 76
Quoted from CodHead

Too right, if we had millions and went for Guardiola rather than Klopp I'd be most drunk off

But please note I criticise the managers (and Fenty) never the team itself or individual players as I don't see them very often and I also don't think groups of people on here slaughtering individuals (Dixon for example poor sod) takes us anywhere.

Its up to the manager whether he picks out of form players and if his decision is wrong then its him who deserves the flak not the player who is no doubt trying his best even if its not good enough

Posted by: MarinerMal, August 6, 2018, 10:48am; Reply: 77
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't have an agenda against him at all as I have already explained (although perhaps I used some larger words than you are used to so you didn't understand) I simply did not and still do not buy into the ridiculous rose-tinted spectacles, grasping-at-straws, for felicitations sake save us from Slade's member-ups, desperation fenzy, that surrounded him when his name was first muted.

But he did "save us from Slade's member-ups"!!!

He's clearly a better, more modern manager than Slade and he's a refreshing change who seems to want to get involved with the community and takes time out for the fans. I hope he still does after some of the ridiculous abuse he received on Saturday.

Wasn't it you who got upset because we didn't appoint Phil Brown instead of MJ (could be wrong)? You certainly wanted a more experienced manager in charge.

Well in the last 10 games of last season (when PB took charge at Swindon) MJ took more points with a relegation side (including beating PB's Swindon) than PB manage to take with a promotion chasing squad.

MJ P10 W4 D3 L3 Pts15
PB P10 W2 D5 L3 Pts11

It's a good job we didn't appoint Brown, we could have gone down!

MJ has proved you wrong before and I'm pretty sure he will do so again.
Posted by: Posh Harry, August 6, 2018, 11:02am; Reply: 78
Quoted from Ipswin

Too right, if we had millions and went for Guardiola rather than Klopp I'd be most drunk off

But please note I criticise the managers (and Fenty) never the team itself or individual players as I don't see them very often and I also don't think groups of people on here slaughtering individuals (Dixon for example poor sod) takes us anywhere.

Its up to the manager whether he picks out of form players and if his decision is wrong then its him who deserves the flak not the player who is no doubt trying his best even if its not good enough

You never criticise individual players?

Strange as I thought you had a particular issue with a previous striker we had who we sold for a decent amount of money last season?

Posted by: Ipswin, August 6, 2018, 11:38am; Reply: 79
Quoted from MarinerMal

But he did "save us from Slade's member-ups"!!!
MJ has proved you wrong before and I'm pretty sure he will do so again.

Yes he did, I was as delighted as everyone else and gave him credit for it but that was last season, it's in the past, he can't live on that forever. How he does this season is all that counts now and I'll be delighted as everyone else if he proves me wrong. Trouble is what does proving me wrong consist of?

Just avoiding relegation again or

Finishing mid table or

Getting into the playoffs or

Getting automatic promotion or

Just playing entertaining football and the league position is irrelevant (there are some ST holders who appeared to think the type of football was the most important)

And no, I didn't want Brown over Jolley. I wanted an experienced head and Brown fitted that but once it was obvious Fenty was going for a totally inexperienced man who had never managed in the EFL and therefore wouldn't cost so much I wanted the other inexperienced bloke (can't even remember his name now) simply because he'd played at league level.

Posted by: Ipswin, August 6, 2018, 11:39am; Reply: 80
Quoted from Posh Harry

You never criticise individual players?

Strange as I thought you had a particular issue with a previous striker we had who we sold for a decent amount of money last season?

Presumably you are talking about the bloke who was going to play for England and star in the Premiership according to some idiots on here.

You know, the one who went to Wigan in the Championship, failed miserably and was bought up cheaply by Cardiff also in the Championship, scored in the local derby then got sent off, couldn't get in the side as it was challenging for promotion and he wasn't good enough

Went to Peterborough Div 1 on loan and warmed the bench and is now wanted on loan at Ipswich by his little ear cupping Yorkshire mentor and ship jumper Paul Hurst.

I didn't criticise him I just didn't rate him as highly as some of the loonies on here plus I thought he was a twit

Good player at Div 2 level - there, I've praised him!
Posted by: MarinerMal, August 6, 2018, 12:09pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from "Ipswin"
Trouble is what does proving me wrong consist of?

Just playing entertaining football and the league position is irrelevant (there are some ST holders who appeared to think the type of football was the most important)

I'd go for an improvement on what we had to put up with last season.

Can't we go for playing entertaining football that is successful? Why do those two need to be mutually exclusive? Saturday was actually neither as we played in a very direct manner more reminiscent of the dark days last season.
Posted by: sam gy, August 6, 2018, 1:01pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from Ipswin

Presumably you are talking about the bloke who was going to play for England and star in the Premiership according to some idiots on here.

You know, the one who went to Wigan in the Championship, failed miserably and was bought up cheaply by Cardiff also in the Championship, scored in the local derby then got sent off, couldn't get in the side as it was challenging for promotion and he wasn't good enough

Went to Peterborough Div 1 on loan and warmed the bench and is now wanted on loan at Ipswich by his little ear cupping Yorkshire mentor and ship jumper Paul Hurst.

I didn't criticise him I just didn't rate him as highly as some of the loonies on here plus I thought he was a twit

Good player at Div 2 level - there, I've praised him!

So you're not into probably the best player and manager that have played for/managed us in recent times? Does your negativity know no bounds?
Posted by: Dan, August 6, 2018, 1:34pm; Reply: 83
I guess the question is, do we actually know if Michael Jolley is a good manager?

No we don't.

He's a great PR man. But so was Marcus Bignot and Mike Newell. We've obviously not seen enough to make a judgement yet.

I have some concerns though. I don't like us playing players out of position (Clifton at RB, we know Hooper should be played on the left etc), I don't think we've played enough pre-season games, a lot of our signings are unproven youngsters, and we're still lacking in some areas.

He kept us up, but it we'd be lying to ourselves if we said there wasn't a certain amount of luck involved.

I'm in no way calling for his head, but whether he is a success is still very much an open question.
Posted by: AussieMariner, August 6, 2018, 2:36pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from Dan
I guess the question is, do we actually know if Michael Jolley is a good manager?

No we don't.

He's a great PR man. But so was Marcus Bignot and Mike Newell. We've obviously not seen enough to make a judgement yet.

I have some concerns though. I don't like us playing players out of position (Clifton at RB, we know Hooper should be played on the left etc), I don't think we've played enough pre-season games, a lot of our signings are unproven youngsters, and we're still lacking in some areas.

He kept us up, but it we'd be lying to ourselves if we said there wasn't a certain amount of luck involved.

I'm in no way calling for his head, but whether he is a success is still very much an open question.

Agree generally but a few points:
The reason we know Hooper should be on the left is because MJ put him there and it worked
There aren’t that many proven youngsters out there
Bignot was more BS than PR

Posted by: rancido, August 6, 2018, 3:09pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from Ipswin

But he was on the cheap

Reveal to us on The Fishy what his salary package is and then maybe we can decide if he was " on the cheap ".
Posted by: rancido, August 6, 2018, 3:27pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from Ipswin

So , when a seasoned ex Premiersh*t pro like Collins makes a right fu*k up of a back pass and an experienced keeper like Macca compound the matter with a resulting own goal , it's the managers fault for picking them ! Ipswin you are a real " gem "!!!!
Posted by: Ipswin, August 6, 2018, 4:45pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from rancido

Reveal to us on The Fishy what his salary package is and then maybe we can decide if he was " on the cheap ".

You know of course that I can't but do you really think (as the self proclaimed expert that you are) that Jolley with absolutely no FL experience, desperate to get onto the managerial ladder in UK and out of work, demanded the same money as any experienced FL manager we might have attracted / interviewed. If he did and Fenty agreed then Fenty is an even bigger daft twit than I have always thought
Posted by: Ipswin, August 6, 2018, 4:47pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from rancido

So , when a seasoned ex Premiersh*t pro like Collins makes a right fu*k up of a back pass and an experienced keeper like Macca compound the matter with a resulting own goal , it's the managers fault for picking them ! Ipswin you are a real " gem "!!!!

But they weren't out of form (allegedly) were they? They were just shite on Saturday, the sort of shite GTFC seems to attract sadly

Posted by: realist, August 6, 2018, 4:49pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from sam gy

So you're not into probably the best player and manager that have played for/managed us in recent times? Does your negativity know no bounds?

You are showing how young you are. In the greater scheme of things both were shite
Posted by: sam gy, August 6, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 90
Quoted from realist

You are showing how young you are. In the greater scheme of things both were shite

Re-read my post. I said recent times, ie- the last ten years.

I started watching Town in 91, so yes, I understand that Hurst and Bogle in that respect are nowhere near the best we've had.
Posted by: realist, August 6, 2018, 4:58pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from sam gy

Re-read my post. I said recent times, ie- the last ten years.

I started watching Town in 91, so yes, I understand that Hurst and Bogle in that respect are nowhere near the best we've had.

Recent is 30 years. I stand by what I said you are still wetbehind the ears and barely potty trained
Posted by: rancido, August 6, 2018, 7:23pm; Reply: 92
Quoted from Ipswin

You know of course that I can't but do you really think (as the self proclaimed expert that you are) that Jolley with absolutely no FL experience, desperate to get onto the managerial ladder in UK and out of work, demanded the same money as any experienced FL manager we might have attracted / interviewed. If he did and Fenty agreed then Fenty is an even bigger daft twit than I have always thought

But I don't claim to be a " self proclaimed expert ". All I asked for was any evidence that MJ was signed " on the cheap ". If we follow your hypothesis that, due to his lack of league experience, he wouldn't command a high wage then the following must also be true. Glasgow Rangers must have got Steven Gerrard " on the cheap " because , to the best of my knowledge, he has no previous experience as a manager at any level. Also Frank Lampard must also be on a low wage just so he can get a foot on the managerial ladder.
Posted by: rancido, August 6, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Ipswin

But they weren't out of form (allegedly) were they? They were just shite on Saturday, the sort of shite GTFC seems to attract sadly

I certainly never said they were out of form and I don't know who did. Yes, they were shite on Saturday but you so they are the sort of shite that GTFC attracts. That means then that we should never have signed either because in your words " the sort of shite GTFC seems to attract sadly".
Posted by: Ipswin, August 6, 2018, 8:21pm; Reply: 94
Quoted from rancido

But I don't claim to be a " self proclaimed expert ". All I asked for was any evidence that MJ was signed " on the cheap ". If we follow your hypothesis that, due to his lack of league experience, he wouldn't command a high wage then the following must also be true. Glasgow Rangers must have got Steven Gerrard " on the cheap " because , to the best of my knowledge, he has no previous experience as a manager at any level. Also Frank Lampard must also be on a low wage just so he can get a foot on the managerial ladder.

Yes, I think it highly likely that Gerrard and Lampard have accepted salaries much lower than an experienced man taking over at Rangers and Derby might have expected. Mind you 'on the cheap' at Rangers and Derby is likely to be a damn sight different to 'on the cheap' at Blundell park

Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 6, 2018, 8:32pm; Reply: 95
Quoted from realist

I despair on this board sometimes.
Posted by: realist, August 6, 2018, 9:21pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from chipsandgravy

I despair on this board sometimes.

Why, cant you face the truth?
Posted by: chipsandgravy, August 6, 2018, 10:23pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from realist

Why, cant you face the truth?

What truth?
Posted by: mariner91, August 7, 2018, 12:15am; Reply: 98
Quoted from realist

Recent is 30 years. I stand by what I said you are still wetbehind the ears and barely potty trained

It's not though is it? Particularly in footballing terms.

30 years ago Paul Hurst, who had a 15 year football playing career and has been managing teams for a decade since then, was 13 years old. Sir Alex Ferguson had yet to win any of the 38 trophies he won with Man United. Only one of the players who played for England in the semi-final of this World Cup was even born.
Print page generated: April 27, 2024, 8:39pm