Jaws
August 5, 2018, 10:17pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from GrimRob
There are 70 hours in a football season, so 1 hour into 1 game is 1.4% of the season!

Forgot to multiply by 100, but still 1.4% isn't a lot.
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 98
Maringer
August 5, 2018, 10:41pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from MuddyWaters
There are some simple facts from yesterday. FGR have been in the league one year and quite comfortably outplayed us and had a plan. At no time did we look capable of beating them and at no time did we ever look like 'executing our plan' whatever that was. MJ earned some credits last season but they will soon be used up if that performance is repeated. We look at least three players short of what's needed.

I think time in the league is less relevant than money spent. We might have had two years back, but I'm guessing they've spent more than double (probably a lot more) the amount that we have in their one year. Money talks.

If it were, say, Tranmere who had played like that and beaten us yesterday (assuming they had spent the same), there wouldn't be the same whinging about the perceived unfairness that such a poorly-supported club had won. I'm sure many would have accepted it with less complaint.

It doesn't matter how many people watch them if their owner has the means to keep chucking enormous amounts of money at the club, as he has for several years now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 98
Mrs Doyle
August 5, 2018, 10:45pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
Quoted from Jaws
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but certain people in earshot of the dugout have probably cost this team a few points over the years.

Our longest serving manager in the past 20 years, the only manager to give us a promotion in the past 19 years was harassed by these same people. He's now 2 divisions higher, with a core of his squad here playing in either League 1 or possibly the Championship.

The people shouting abuse every game at every misplaced pass, skewed shot, lost tackle wouldn't know a good manager or player if it hit them in the face. I don't sit in the lower much these days but wish the main stand would direct their abuse at the opposition or the officials like they do in the lower!

We're a small undesirable town in the 4th tier with a low budget - people need to get real and back the boys.

Jolley is realistic - he never mentioned the mass exodus after the 4th goal because it wasn't unreasonable. Whereas some of the comments 1hr into a 46 game is unreasonable, at that point we were 0.1% into the league season - hardly (and hopefully not) a sign of where we'll be in May!

I sit directly behind the dugout and can honestly say I did not hear that much abuse directed at any one player or the manager. I did hear plenty of abuse hurled at their manager and his gobby no2 for constantly whinging to the third official.  At the end, one town fan was really ripping into their manager who was equally giving it back big time and refs and officials need protection if they have had a dodgy game. I suggest after you go sit behind the dugout against Lincoln you may want to change your views. i have been in every stand in B.P. the can assure you the reactions are the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 98
promotion plaice
August 5, 2018, 11:35pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,953
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from CodHead

We could have Pep Guardiola as our manager and a billion in the bank, yet you'd still criticise the team. A bit of positivity would be appreciated.

Not too sure how Pep would get on with Mr Fenty but at least the loan would be wiped out.
We could also have another gents toilet in the lower.......happy days

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 98
CodHead
August 6, 2018, 6:27am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +158
Quoted from promotion plaice

Not too sure how Pep would get on with Mr Fenty but at least the loan would be wiped out.
We could also have another gents toilet in the lower.......happy days

We know what Mr Fenty is like, he'd make the fans supply the transfer budget.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 98
1mickylyons
August 6, 2018, 6:46am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,260
Gold Stars: 54
I was the opposite side of the pitch from MJ in the lower so no idea what abuse he got but in the lower the fan`s were generally supportive throughout til the 4th goal.I would say the vast majority of fan`s I encountered walked off in stunned silence me included and even the booing was muted. MJ needs to get far better performances than that and I am sure he will,the lack of pre season games could easily be a factor cos it looked like that was how Town played whilst FGR played a League game? Oh and I see a few people mention it and I fully agree Macca needs to change that top for something far more visible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 98
Ipswin
August 6, 2018, 10:00am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from CodHead

We could have Pep Guardiola as our manager and a billion in the bank, yet you'd still criticise the team. A bit of positivity would be appreciated.

Too right, if we had millions and went for Guardiola rather than Klopp I'd be most drunk off

But please note I criticise the managers (and Fenty) never the team itself or individual players as I don't see them very often and I also don't think groups of people on here slaughtering individuals (Dixon for example poor sod) takes us anywhere.

Its up to the manager whether he picks out of form players and if his decision is wrong then its him who deserves the flak not the player who is no doubt trying his best even if its not good enough

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 98
MarinerMal
August 6, 2018, 10:48am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -5
Approval: +784
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from Ipswin

I don't have an agenda against him at all as I have already explained (although perhaps I used some larger words than you are used to so you didn't understand) I simply did not and still do not buy into the ridiculous rose-tinted spectacles, grasping-at-straws, for felicitations sake save us from Slade's member-ups, desperation fenzy, that surrounded him when his name was first muted.

But he did "save us from Slade's member-ups"!!!

He's clearly a better, more modern manager than Slade and he's a refreshing change who seems to want to get involved with the community and takes time out for the fans. I hope he still does after some of the ridiculous abuse he received on Saturday.

Wasn't it you who got upset because we didn't appoint Phil Brown instead of MJ (could be wrong)? You certainly wanted a more experienced manager in charge.

Well in the last 10 games of last season (when PB took charge at Swindon) MJ took more points with a relegation side (including beating PB's Swindon) than PB manage to take with a promotion chasing squad.

MJ P10 W4 D3 L3 Pts15
PB P10 W2 D5 L3 Pts11

It's a good job we didn't appoint Brown, we could have gone down!

MJ has proved you wrong before and I'm pretty sure he will do so again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 98
Posh Harry
August 6, 2018, 11:02am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,327
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Ipswin

Too right, if we had millions and went for Guardiola rather than Klopp I'd be most drunk off

But please note I criticise the managers (and Fenty) never the team itself or individual players as I don't see them very often and I also don't think groups of people on here slaughtering individuals (Dixon for example poor sod) takes us anywhere.

Its up to the manager whether he picks out of form players and if his decision is wrong then its him who deserves the flak not the player who is no doubt trying his best even if its not good enough

You never criticise individual players?

Strange as I thought you had a particular issue with a previous striker we had who we sold for a decent amount of money last season?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 98
Ipswin
August 6, 2018, 11:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from MarinerMal

But he did "save us from Slade's member-ups"!!!
MJ has proved you wrong before and I'm pretty sure he will do so again.

Yes he did, I was as delighted as everyone else and gave him credit for it but that was last season, it's in the past, he can't live on that forever. How he does this season is all that counts now and I'll be delighted as everyone else if he proves me wrong. Trouble is what does proving me wrong consist of?

Just avoiding relegation again or

Finishing mid table or

Getting into the playoffs or

Getting automatic promotion or

Just playing entertaining football and the league position is irrelevant (there are some ST holders who appeared to think the type of football was the most important)

And no, I didn't want Brown over Jolley. I wanted an experienced head and Brown fitted that but once it was obvious Fenty was going for a totally inexperienced man who had never managed in the EFL and therefore wouldn't cost so much I wanted the other inexperienced bloke (can't even remember his name now) simply because he'd played at league level.

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › MJ Interview

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.