TheRealJohnLewis
March 11, 2018, 9:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Quoted from lukeo
My point being whenever there is trouble you never see 'shirts' (I think that's what they call them) people wearing the colours involved.

Without trying to put words into Lukeo's mouth.  "Not everyone who wears Stone Island and Burberry are neanderthal  thugs, but all neanderthal thugs wear Stone Island and Burberry". The "Casual" culture is a blight on football and belongs in the 80's.

Private Message
Reply: 60 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 11, 2018, 10:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from heppy88
Hearts, deaths occurred here and abroad simply because crowd control was not managed effectively. Do you think the events yesterday were managed effectively? Do you think we had enough stewards to contain the situation? Do you think a couple of parked transits is effective crowd control? Do you think allowing two sets of " fans" to converge on a public street to bash it out is good crowd control? Do you think as long as no one gets injured or dies as a result of violence in the ground it is acceptable and anyone who thinks otherwise is being a "drama queen"? FFS it takes one punch to kill someone!

I agree the club where ill prepared for the visit of Port Vale who have a reputation but to liken yesterdays events which in essence where a load of lads in baseball caps and "label" clothing running up to each other shouting "come on then" to some of the tragedies of the past is over egging the pudding IMHO.  

And ......... to answer your barbed question no I don't think it's acceptable for people who attend football matches to behave in that manner regardless of the nature of the incident or outcome. Yes a football club should take steps to protect people but moreover people need to behave like responsible adults as well.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 131
oldun
March 11, 2018, 10:24am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from moosey_club

The club have had the enquiry straight after the game and i have seen the report which concluded ..

Cause of trouble -  The fans
Influencing factors - The fans not respecting stewards who asked fans to return to their seats
Future control measures - Ban the fans
Are the club in anyway at fault - No. Its all the fans fault

The blame belongs fairly and squarely with those causing the trouble. Don't call them fans though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 131
March 11, 2018, 10:48am
Guest User
I felt sorry for our stewards yesterday, they were put on the frontline that turned pretty nasty and I wouldn’t be surprised to hear over the next few days that some were assaulted.

You just have to look at the majority of them and it would suggest they are not suited to this situation. I’m not sure what the recruitment policy is but some are very old, overweight and young adults who look petrified. If you want to cut costs and not have policing in the ground you need to have some proper crowd safety. By that,  proper bouncer types or tough folk from the gym who would be able to respond adequately or prevent disorder by their presence.

Also, I’m not sure what training our stewards have but before half-time a few fans could be seen drinking pints next to them in the Imp corner infront of the burger bar while the match was still in play. At the back of the Pontoon stewards watched as a lad who was that drunk he couldn’t walk and was rolling around on the floor, not with laughter.

The Club were naive not to expect disorder, giving free tickets away would attract undesirables.
Reply: 63 - 131
Marinerz93
March 11, 2018, 11:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
The club is at fault for not ensuring the safety of the Stewards in the away end, the Stewards who work in the away end have been described by the majority of away clubs fans as being the best in the league. Our Stewards are not thugs like at other clubs, and good honest Stewards come in all shapes and sizes. This is on the board hands, shame on you.

The Head Steward is at fault though for not getting the Police in and who opened the gate to let those fans out should have locked it behind them.

The fighting was no more than handbags and gesturing, years ago it would have got ugly but when Hooligans are wearing pink stone island top with a hipster scarf wrapped round his neck it comes across as  bit of a joke. He's probably had to many frappochino's up Cleethorpes and the fresh air has gone whistling through his empty skull.

If you want act hard, if you want a punch up, there are plenty of places on the outskirts of every Town and city, fill your boots but do it at the ground where innocent bystanders can get caught up in then you are no more than cowards.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 131
arryarryarry
March 11, 2018, 11:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
I don't think our stewards did themselves any favours when several Port Vale fans removed the plastic sheeting covering the first few rows in the Osmond, although some tried to replace it they gave up and allowed some of their fans to move in and sit there.

Should weakness in my opinion.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 11, 2018, 11:46am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
To be honest the stewards are just average people in high vis jackets I doubt they are very well trained to deal with situations like yesterday.

There should have been a couple of coppers about TBH.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 131
KingstonMariner
March 11, 2018, 12:08pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Cloudy

That would be akin to asking King Herod to investigate the disappearance of children!

PMSL! That's an appropriate thing to read on a Sunday.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 131
March 11, 2018, 12:26pm
Guest User
Why doesn’t Mr Dale employ a few more people from his own company? That way he will get a few more quid going from the clubs budget into his pocket via the company in which he owns. Just a suggestion.
Reply: 68 - 131
Jaws
March 11, 2018, 12:32pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,306
Gold Stars: 11
I do not understand why no further action was taken by the club when:
  • Trouble was reported up Cleethorpes and Port Vale fans were kettled to the ground
  • After the first goal, when they removed the plastic sheeting and a steward was caught up in the melee

We also seem to the only club in the football league that just throw away fan pitch invaders back into the stands.

This is the second time there has been a large disorder inside Blundell Park from an away following... someone at the club needs to be held accountable. I travel away and we're never given the opportunity to behave like that and actually get at opposition supporters.

I will give credit where it's due. The portacabin is better segregation than the temporary metal fence that used to be there!

Unfortunately for them, a few Port Vale fans names are already out in the open.
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Trouble today

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.