Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is there a price ??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 134 Guests

Is there a price ??

This thread currently has 16,745 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
dapperz fun pub
January 12, 2018, 9:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,048
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from easypeersy
The fans who decide not to turn up and support the team each match are just contributing to the demise of our football club!
Whether you like or dislike the manager and/or board, you should still support the team and not boo them on the pitch.
So all you people who have walked away or still go and boo!
Shame on you!

I've supported the team pretty much all through the fenty era unless working away got in the way , but after 15 years of tosh and please don't count anything in non league success I've come to realise without new leadership our club is going back to non league. I'll never stop going completely because I couldn't but without real change throughout the club because it's all stale we are doomed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 167
pen penfras
January 12, 2018, 9:41am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -133
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, if you don't live round here, I don't think you are qualified to comment on the increasing discontent towards the board. I take it you also approve of the board's stance on Checkatrade, Matt Dean, 'Bragate' etc etc

A fair few of the most negative posters on here are exiles and don't go to many games, so I guess they should stop commenting too? Or is it only people that don't share your view who should keep quiet?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 167
pen penfras
January 12, 2018, 9:47am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

So if I flip the question around perhaps you could tell me what positive things the present "regime" have done in the last decade that has earned your support. Perhaps  you can convince me.

Saved the club from administration and folding.
5 trips to Wembley/Millenium stadium.
Beating Newcastle in the cup.

I'd rather have had the highs of Wembley and the playoffs than clinging on to 21st in the championship for 15 years, not that that was ever realistically going to happen. I doubt our average attendance would be any higher than this season if that's what we'd done. Yes, there's been bad times too, but the highs and lows are what we love about the game. There's been enough good times that I'm willing to wait out the current bad patch after a period of instability and see what happens.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 167
pen penfras
January 12, 2018, 9:58am

Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm 48 years in supporting the Mariners, but no longer support the current regime, and by doing so, I'm fickle?..  Strong argument that. There's plenty more on here, other platforms, friends I know etc are even more time served than me and they're on the edge of giving up or have already done so.. How come the people not wanting change somehow try to grab the moral high ground?

I'm not accusing anybody in particular of being fickle, other than my mates. But you can hardly think that this board doesn't represent a very fickle view.

Paul Hurst was an idiot, holding the club back and needed to go. A portion of idiots did everything they could to try and drive him out of the club. He moves on to a new club and glad to be rid of him. 12 months later the board are idiots for not doing everything they could to keep the best manager we've had since Buckley.

Bignot was a complete disaster and driving the club to non league, had to go. Now the board didn't give him enough time to impart his philosophy on the club.

These views are partly from different people, but there's a portion of fans who have played both sides of those arguments. It's why I truly believe nothing the club do can be considered right at the moment, because people just want to beat them with anything they can
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 167
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 12, 2018, 10:14am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from pen penfras

Saved the club from administration and folding.
5 trips to Wembley/Millenium stadium.
Beating Newcastle in the cup.

I'd rather have had the highs of Wembley and the playoffs than clinging on to 21st in the championship for 15 years, not that that was ever realistically going to happen. I doubt our average attendance would be any higher than this season if that's what we'd done that. Yes, there's been bad times too, but the highs and lows are what we love about the game. There's been enough good times that I'm willing to wait out the current bad patch after a period of instability and see what happens.

Small correction we beat Tottenham in the cup and lost to Newcastle. I think most fans accept there are and will always be good and bad times for your club, especially small ones like GTFC. During these periods attendances will ebb and flow but depending on performance style, level of commitment, ethos of the club etc but importantly hope and anticipation. Attendances are likely to be maintained when these are seen as positives, for example, during the conference era performances were not great but after the first couple of seasons you never doubted the commitment of the majority of the players and those without that commitment were soon banished.

We now have a poor team, poor playing style, sterile atmosphere at home games and a massive disparity between the club and fans and whilst we all maintain our support and love of the club actually attending matches has become an inceasingly poor way of spending your Saturday. I have a season ticket but like many others will not be going tomorrow nor will my son, when you live away from the area you maybe do not have to make these decisions quite so often although some fans travel great distances still to support the club. I will attend the Luton game but if we are no better than the majority of our other home performances I will limit future attendances to the odd game.

What has disappeared for me is that sense of hope & anticipation which mainly stems out of the really poor signings RS made in the summer. All managers make signings that dont work out the good one s soon realise this & move them out. If RS released Kelly, Dixon, Woolford and Hooper this month by way of a pay off he would earn a lot more respect from me and just maybe some of that hope would return. Are the 2000 plus fans that have stopped coming all wrong whilst RS and Wilko are correct about these players? I dont think so.

If Russ is to get any level of support back he must make these tough decisions and we may get more buy in from the supporters. Lincoln have just added Frecklington to a midfield that already has Bostwick and Woodyard, a midfield that will dominate games and win matches, Lincoln has hope and anticipation we have drudgery and the cold east wind blowing in the Upper Findus, enough said!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 167
headingly_mariner
January 12, 2018, 12:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,394
Gold Stars: 120
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not accusing anybody in particular of being fickle, other than my mates. But you can hardly think that this board doesn't represent a very fickle view.

Paul Hurst was an idiot, holding the club back and needed to go. A portion of idiots did everything they could to try and drive him out of the club. He moves on to a new club and glad to be rid of him. 12 months later the board are idiots for not doing everything they could to keep the best manager we've had since Buckley.

Bignot was a complete disaster and driving the club to non league, had to go. Now the board didn't give him enough time to impart his philosophy on the club.

These views are partly from different people, but there's a portion of fans who have played both sides of those arguments. It's why I truly believe nothing the club do can be considered right at the moment, because people just want to beat them with anything they can

I think you are grouping everybody on the fishy as having the same opinions about Hurst and the way the club has been run.

I remember having balanced discussions with people on here about Hurst, some thought he should go and others did not. You will be able to find posts from myself suggesting that  Hurst was an excellent young manager learning his trade with us and that I expected him to manage at the top level. Others completely disagreed with this and we can't be right all the time.
I have had a season ticket throughout the non league years and have one now like many others who are unhappy with the ownership, am I fickle for being unhappy with the way the club is run?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 167
RexFannies
January 13, 2018, 1:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +517
Gold Stars: 5
This is like a marriage when they stay together for the sake of the kids (GTFC Being the kid).

The sooner they realize that the kid would be better off without its feuding parents the better.

One side wins..gets the house, the car and the dog the other will meet someone else who will keep them in the manor they have been accustomed to.

The Only Way Is Up
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 156 - 167
Bigdog
January 13, 2018, 9:00am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

A fair few of the most negative posters on here are exiles and don't go to many games, so I guess they should stop commenting too? Or is it only people that don't share your view who should keep quiet?

This label gets my goat a little bit. Negative is just the wrong word to use. Critical is more accurate, critical of the status quo bound up in a huge level of frustration. It's another question altogether what negative is. Is negative wanting our club to be better and highlighting the deficiences hoping the message hits home? Is negative not believing things can change and things are ok as they are? Probably neither. Critical and non-critical are probably better labels to use if a label is needed at all for a personal viewpoint. On my part, I certainly don't feel negative when I'm posting criticisms of the regime or the current manager, I feel positive, as I can picture a better GTFC. If the powers that be can take those criticisms on board and actually deal with them, and problem solve rather than just dismissing them out of hand as negative posts, then I think the club could be in a much better place than it is now..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 167
Bigdog
January 13, 2018, 9:44am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from pen penfras

My first post on here was in February of the promotion season. It was prompted by being frustrated in Hurst's insistence of playing Disley and Nolan in a midfield two and playing Monkhouse, instead of putting Clay in there. Let's face it, the performances and results were hardly that of a promotion team in those two or three months. It seemed like Hurst had run out of ideas until that fateful injury. I'm sure Hurst learned a lot on that day in Braintree too. The rest they say is history. I now have less reservations about Hurst's ability and my perspective of him has changed. He has blossomed in a new working environment and it begs the new question, was he being held back at GTFC? We can never know for sure, but time and events can temper a view or even change an opinion. To call someone an idiot for changing their mind when the evidence changes is a bit off isn't it? Surely the idiot is the one who doesn't change his mind when evidence points to the contrary..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 167
RoboCod
January 13, 2018, 9:46am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
My poster-status stays in line with the teams goal difference.

Right now I'm rather negative

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is there a price ??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.