Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Is there a price ??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 354 Guests

Is there a price ??

This thread currently has 16,598 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
RoboCod
January 11, 2018, 11:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Civvy at last

Why don't you just thank him in person, at the next board meeting ?  

Now this could be post of the week  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 167
lew chaterleys lover
January 11, 2018, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,549
Gold Stars: 231
Quoted from ginnywings
Well, i for one am heartened, and have a spring in my step now that Ascend has explained to me why we have absolutely zero influence in our club because we don't have the requisite knowledge, influence, or more crucially, the cash, to even consider such a thing. We don't have the business contacts either. Wish i had a mate who was a top whizz kid for Richard Branson, and maybe then i wouldn't be forced to shop in Lidl.  

Remind me Ascend, how much have the fans put into the club in the last 15 years? A sight more than the board i bet.

God its a mess when Ascend (Marley) has to come on here and make things ten times worse.

He is obviously speaking from inside knowledge and thinks he is being really clever in letting us plebs know the "facts."

I think he will soon find out that fans have a lot more power than he thinks, and could effectively close the club down. None of us want that, but even an out and out die hard like me is beginning to think is it worth keeping the club alive just so the Fenty clan can rub our noses in it every day.
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 167
January 11, 2018, 11:31am
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

Remind me Ascend, how much have the fans put into the club in the last 15 years? A sight more than the board i bet.

You are absolutely correct GinnyWings, the supporters have spent fortunes with the club in the last 15 years. I couldn't agree more. Super fans and the club is lucky to have them, even if some of them come and go depending on results etc.

But haven't the good people of Grimsby also spent fortunes in Tesco and Asda too over the years? Or on Sky Sports subscriptions? But I don't see any of them having a controlling interest in any of those businesses. Apart from of course the obvious freedom to shop where they want or to switch to Netflix or just watch terrestrial TV.

I have got every sympathy for the supporters, because of their love and emotional attachment for the club, and their desire to see the club progress. I fall into that category. But there aren't any of us out there, save for somebody we don't know of, that is a fan with either the finance to buy the club, or even the desire to do so assuming they could afford it.

So ginnywings, until such a time as somebody does step forward and is prepared to satisfy the needs financially in order to take up the reins, then we have John Fenty and the existing board and owners. Now some might not like that, but that dislike isn't going to change anything at all. The stay away fans might make the job more difficult for John and the board, but that is as far as it goes.

God its a mess when Ascend (Marley) has to come on here and make things ten times worse.

He is obviously speaking from inside knowledge and thinks he is being really clever in letting us plebs know the "facts."

Lew Chatterlys Lover, I really am just a normal Grimsby Town fan, with no connection to the board and no inside knowledge.
Reply: 112 - 167
MuddyWaters
January 11, 2018, 11:52am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
I really think you should change your name to Arsend in homage to the orifice you talk out of
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 167
January 11, 2018, 11:54am
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I really think you should change your name to Arsend in homage to the orifice you talk out of

Thanks for that Old Codger  
Reply: 114 - 167
ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 12:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I really hate that supermarket analogy. Yes, i put money into other businesses and don't expect any say or influence in said businesses, but then if i don't agree with them or like them, i can just go elsewhere. I can't do that with my football club, because there is this little thing called emotional attachment. There is a lifetime of memories, good and bad connected to my love of my football club.

You can waffle on until you are blue in the face about the owners ( i prefer custodians) and how they are selflessly prepared to spend many hours and much of their personal wealth on running a football club, but they were not there at some point in our past, and they will not be there at some point in the future. They are but ships in the night and they took it upon themselves to get into that position. I'm not sure what percentage JF has spent of his personal wealth on the club but even if he walked away today with nothing, i'm sure he would have enough millions left to have a nice comfortable life. I know fans who have spent their last £20 on a match ticket, so it's all relative isn't it?

The problem i can see is that it's all about the business side of things and no-one seems to be giving much thought to what a football club actually is. It's a group collective of like minded people known as fans and without them, there is nothing, zilch. Without a board we can believe in, a manager we can believe in and players we can believe in, none of the other stuff matters. In this quest for financial and league stability, someone seems to have forgotten the key ingredient- the football. Without the excitement, entertainment and buzz that should be a matchday experience, you may as well pack it all in now. It seems a lot already have.

Ascend- price of everything, value of nothing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 167
January 11, 2018, 12:32pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings
I really hate that supermarket analogy. Yes, i put money into other businesses and don't expect any say or influence in said businesses, but then if i don't agree with them or like them, i can just go elsewhere. I can't do that with my football club, because there is this little thing called emotional attachment. There is a lifetime of memories, good and bad connected to my love of my football club.

You can waffle on until you are blue in the face about the owners ( i prefer custodians) and how they are selflessly prepared to spend many hours and much of their personal wealth on running a football club, but they were not there at some point in our past, and they will not be there at some point in the future. They are but ships in the night and they took it upon themselves to get into that position. I'm not sure what percentage JF has spent of his personal wealth on the club but even if he walked away today with nothing, i'm sure he would have enough millions left to have a nice comfortable life. I know fans who have spent their last £20 on a match ticket, so it's all relative isn't it?

The problem i can see is that it's all about the business side of things and no-one seems to be giving much thought to what a football club actually is. It's a group collective of like minded people known as fans and without them, there is nothing, zilch. Without a board we can believe in, a manager we can believe in and players we can believe in, none of the other stuff matters. In this quest for financial and league stability, someone seems to have forgotten the key ingredient- the football. Without the excitement, entertainment and buzz that should be a matchday experience, you may as well pack it all in now. It seems a lot already have.

Ascend- price of everything, value of nothing.

GinnyWings it might surprise you to know that I agree with much of what you have written there. I don't have any issue with any of it, and I fully appreciate the supporters point of view.

However, where I think we differ, if you don't mind me saying so, is that I am realistic in my views of the business element of modern day football clubs. Believe me, I wish that business finance wasn't a key factor in the success or failure of a football club, or even in its very existence. But sadly it is. So the supporters hold on to their clubs for the pure love of the sport and their love of their teams, but away from that somebody has to run those football clubs as businesses, struggle at our level and even prop them up.

It really is a far cry from the ideal world, but it is what it is, and neither you nor me will ever change that.The sporting and the business element are unfortunately inextricable
Reply: 116 - 167
OneLove
January 11, 2018, 1:03pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
I think our club and owners should look at Bradford as a good example of putting bums on seats and looking after their fans. £169 for an adult season ticket, 17000 plus sold, good revenue and twelfth man!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 167
GrimRob
January 11, 2018, 1:09pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,343
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from OneLove
I think our club and owners should look at Bradford as a good example of putting bums on seats and looking after their fans. £169 for an adult season ticket, 17000 plus sold, good revenue and twelfth man!

Quite a few clubs have season tickets considerably cheaper  than ours - including Lincoln, Scunny and Hull

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 118 - 167
Maringer
January 11, 2018, 1:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,142
Gold Stars: 180
Not really a great comparison. Bradford have such a big stadium that they need to fill it and can guarantee they will sell large numbers of season tickets to get enough revenue into the coffers.

If we priced our season tickets at a similar level we'd sell perhaps 50% more of them (max) but then would be much worse off as we're not going to double our attendances by doing so. Many of those buying the cheaper season tickets wouldn't be paying full price at the gate as they do now so much less money coming in

It would be good for the club if we could have cheaper season tickets and therefore higher attendances but the finances wouldn't work out in a smaller town such as ourselves, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Is there a price ??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.