Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is there a price ??
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 218 Guests

Is there a price ??

This thread currently has 16,682 views. Print
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 1:21pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
I know they are inextricable but where we differ is that you seem to believe that there is no other way than what we have now. While there are 3000 fans willing to put a million-ish pounds into the club in season ticket sales, and another potential 3000 or more out there willing to do the same on a matchday if the football on offer is worth getting behind, that is the football club right there. Add in the league money and other commercial income, plus god forbid, a cup run now and again, not to mention nurturing talent to sell on, there is more than enough money, plus potential money to have a situation where no-one need 'prop up' the club. All it takes is for someone to bring all this together and make more right decisions than wrong ones.

Yep, i know that is all easy to say and it's not another pop at those in charge now, but this club has enough potential to prosper if everyone can be brought together and moving in the same direction. Too many feel the current board and manager are not capable of achieving this, so will obviously discuss alternatives- it's human nature. It may well be a pipe dream, but it doesn't hurt to throw around a few ideas without someone telling us we are deluded and don't understand business well enough.

I respect your opinion, but don't expect myself or others to agree with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 167
January 11, 2018, 1:22pm
Guest User
I think that you two have made some good points with regards to the lower cost season tickets.

I would imagine that the fear in offering reduced price season tickets in order to increase support, is that they could possibly put these on sale and still only get the same or similar season ticket number sales, but for a fraction of the sales revenue. It's a real tough one I suppose to have to grasp that nettle and try.

Maybe the way forward for the board in considering this as an option, would be to put out a survey throughout the town.

With simple questions of:-
"If Grimsby Town offered really low priced season tickets at £x per ticket (obviously list the various rates) would you buy a ticket"

"If you would buy season tickets at these prices, then how many would you buy in each category".

Now whilst this sort of survey (which incidentally could be done online with verifiable address look ups) wouldn't offer the club any guarantees of a season ticket sale figure, it would never the less provide some sort of a feel for the likely outcome of an offer.

If the club looked at the existing sales data of ticket sales based on average ticket sales, say over the last three seasons, they could work the prices back, calculating the level of new discounted season sales they would require to ensure that the overall ticket revenue isn't any less.

This then would increase attendance at Blundell Park which would increase other commercial revenue. Not to mention the effect that an increased home crowd and atmosphere could have on the results.
Reply: 121 - 167
OneLove
January 11, 2018, 1:22pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +731
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from Maringer
Not really a great comparison. Bradford have such a big stadium that they need to fill it and can guarantee they will sell large numbers of season tickets to get enough revenue into the coffers.

If we priced our season tickets at a similar level we'd sell perhaps 50% more of them (max) but then would be much worse off as we're not going to double our attendances by doing so. Many of those buying the cheaper season tickets wouldn't be paying full price at the gate as they do now so much less money coming in

It would be good for the club if we could have cheaper season tickets and therefore higher attendances but the finances wouldn't work out in a smaller town such as ourselves, unfortunately.

not stating we should sell them at bradford prices just using it as an example, I for one carnt afford season tickets but if they were within a reasonable price range that is affordable then I think you would most definitely see more people jump at the chance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 167
January 11, 2018, 1:30pm
Guest User
Quoted from ginnywings

I respect your opinion, but don't expect myself or others to agree with it.

Well judging by the ticks, and some of the comments, some do agree with it.

But in any event, I thank you for respecting my opinion. I also respect your right to have an opinion. But please be assured that this aint no blossoming bromance  

Reply: 123 - 167
buckstown
January 11, 2018, 2:48pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
The challenge on the season ticket discount issue is that you need a product that people are considering buying. The discount is the thing that helps the decision making process
At the moment we could half season tickets for £50 each but the product isn't good enough to tempt people. "oh I was thinking of playing golf on Saturday, but I'll go to BP now and watch Town not score again". Mmmmm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 167
malkamalka
January 11, 2018, 4:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
Number three in your post isn't possible, since it isn't an amount that has been paid, it is just a guarantee he has committed to, that he has offered to the clubs bank.

So essentially, a new owner would have to prove to the bank, that they have the assets or liquid cash amounting to £325,000 in security, should it be ever needed.

OK then so he puts 325 grand into the clubs bank account and leaves instruction that it's to be used as a guarantee!

Jeez, don't be so officious! This is a football club supporters forum, not a Business Breakfast!

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 167
pen penfras
January 11, 2018, 5:45pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Bigdog

Amazing.. Our average attendance was 5400 last season and it looks like we are going to be down to 50% of that on Saturday. That's in six months! Of the remaining 2700 or so, I'd say a good 50% are truly cheesed off and disenfranchised as well. So we are not talking about a polarised few or a vocal minority. We are talking about the vast majority, especially when you add in the fans that have given up and haven't been for a good while. So calling comments on here a polarised view from the board is true, but it's the fans that are being polarised by the actions and views of the board. The disgruntled, disenfranchised fan is the majority view and it is the board that have polarised themselves from the consensus.

What has struck me though is the way that fans have decided to stay away. It's not been a mass protest, it's not been a call to arms, it's not been banners, it's been private family decisions in twos or threes, and many are current season ticket holders. GTFC fans aren't stupid as some would like to portray, they know what is at stake and are still voting with their feet. It's a serious situation that the board or the inner circle are failing to grasp by continuing to prod away at the remaining diehards. As someone else has said, the board has completely lost the trust of the fans and I don't think it will get it back unless there is a radical overhaul..

Our average attendance was 5259 on the back of success on the pitch. After a successful season, it's normal to have an increase in support the following year. At the end of the season the attendances dropped down to the low to mid 4000s when we weren't doing so well. Your implication is that fans are staying away because of their dislike for JF and the board. But in reality, it's the poor form and dire performances. If we win the next 3 games then fans will start coming back.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 167
Swansea_Mariner
January 11, 2018, 5:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,430
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from pen penfras

Our average attendance was 5259 on the back of success on the pitch. After a successful season, it's normal to have an increase in support the following year. At the end of the season the attendances dropped down to the low to mid 4000s when we weren't doing so well. Your implication is that fans are staying away because of their dislike for JF and the board. But in reality, it's the poor form and dire performances. If we win the next 3 games then fans will start coming back.

Doesn't matter as there is zero chance we will win the next three games.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 167
ginnywings
January 11, 2018, 6:14pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Win 2, draw 1?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 167
pen penfras
January 11, 2018, 6:14pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

That's not the point though. The fans turn up based on performances on the pitch far more than anything else. It's a tiny minority that stay away for other reasons.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 167
17 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Is there a price ??

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.