Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: sackthemascot, January 10, 2018, 7:56am
For JF and RS to leave the club forever ??

Surely a crowd funding page or organised events could start the ball rolling.

I've not actually met anyone who wants them here (apart from delighted Scunny fans!!) so there would be plenty of donations.

Nothing personal, just a buyout.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 10, 2018, 8:02am; Reply: 1
Quoted from sackthemascot

I've not actually met anyone who wants them here (apart from delighted Scunny fans!!) so there would be plenty of donations.

The fans can not afford a buy out. For a fan run club Mr Fenty would have to write off his debt or put the club into Admin.  
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 10, 2018, 8:16am; Reply: 2

D`ya  know any Yanks with deep pockets?
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, January 10, 2018, 9:32am; Reply: 3
Quoted from 1mickylyons

D`ya  know any Yanks with deep pockets?

Never been to America. But I've been in some states!
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 10, 2018, 1:19pm; Reply: 4
I imagine it's about £2 million quid.  So equivalent to 20 operation promotions.  Not very likely.

This is why the whole Fenty out thing is pointless.  He is not going to go so we'd be far better backing the Trust to work with the Board on building unity between club and fans.  The current atmosphere is doing nothing other than driving down morale and losing money for the club.

Ironically, fans staying away will require directors to put in more of their own money, making the club more dependent on Fenty and co.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 2:21pm; Reply: 5
Quoted from LondonMariner43
I imagine it's about £2 million quid.  So equivalent to 20 operation promotions.  Not very likely.

£2 million is merely the amount outstanding to repay John Fenty for his loan. According to the last published accounts to May 2017. That amount is a benign loan, whilst John Fenty remains the controlling director with his shareholding.

If somebody else wanted to come along to take a controlling interest in the club, it would be perfectly understandable that John Fenty would want his money back. Why wouldn't he? He hasn't loaned the club that money just for a new owner to come along and enjoy.

So that person or organisation would first of all have to reach an agreement to pay John Fenty back as a £2 million lump sum, or by way of a repayment schedule in instalments. If a new owner was hoping to pay this back in instalments, then he would have to come up with a really miraculous and sustainable plan to generate sufficient gross profit in order for the football club to start paying back its loans. But there is absolutely no signs of the club generating that sort of profit at the moment in order to do so, save for a huge slice of football fortune, which clearly cannot be planned for.

If you then look carefully at the published accounts, you will also see that in addition to his loans, Mr Fenty has provided financial guarantees amounting to £325,000. This will be security for the banks for which they will provide things like overdraft facilities. So when people criticise him and talk about his loan, they need to realise that his support goes much further than that. Essentially if the club was to fall over financially tomorrow, then John Fenty would be legally bound to personally cough up, to the tune of up to £325,000 in order to settle the companies bank account balances. In winding the business up, he would then have to try to recover that money by way of the sale of assets, for which he maintains fixed and floating charges over, so has first dibs on those ahead of any outstanding creditors.

But in respect of this £325,000 personal guarantee, whichever person or organisation that wishes to take over from John Fenty, not only has to have the ability to stump up to clear the loans, but they also have to have the personal ability to become a guarantor to the tune of this £325,000.

Moving on from there, this brings us to the matter of John Fenty's shareholding. These are totally and utterly not connected to his lending or security for the club. These are shares that he has had to obtain by whatever means, mostly by purchase. Remember that the club is a PLC, anybody can buy the shares. But in order for them to obtain a majority stake in the business, or an controlling interest, then they would need to obtain buy greater number of shares than what John Fenty owns. Presumably by purchase, remembering that John Fenty really doesn't have to sell his shares either. So that could be a seriously large investment in order to surpass the shareholding of John Fenty and the other shareholders in order to reach a level of controlling interest.

Maybe John Fenty would have an appetite to dispense with his shares at a hugely discounted price, if he was going to recover his loans and be relieved of his security. And if he could be confident that the person taking over has what is needed financially to take the club forward. Who knows? Maybe not! He may wish to recover the cost of his shares too, or at least what is deemed as their current value.

But considering all of this, if John Fenty isn't convinced that a new person or organisation doesn't have the wealth to bring anything to the club that he cannot himself, then why the hell would he move aside. Especially when you consider that this is the club he loves, that he supports, and that he is financially quite comfortable with his existing exposure.

It is only when you start breaking it down that you start to realise people, that whilst some seek to paint John Fenty as the villain, that he is actually the only real bit of cement between the ailing bricks that is giving you a football club to follow. No matter whether you like that or not, it is the true facts of the matter.

I would imagine that if I was in John's shoes, I would be looking for:

1. my £2 million back.
2. being relieved of the need for me to provide £325,000 of personal guarantees.
3. recovering the cost of my shares or at least some value for those shares.
4. a new owner that I know would be in the positive interests of the club, with something extra to bring to the table.
Posted by: OneLove, January 10, 2018, 2:37pm; Reply: 6
Quoted from 120790

£2 million is merely the amount outstanding to repay John Fenty for his loan. According to the last published accounts to May 2017. That amount is a benign loan, whilst John Fenty remains the controlling director with his shareholding.

If somebody else wanted to come along to take a controlling interest in the club, it would be perfectly understandable that John Fenty would want his money back. Why wouldn't he? He hasn't loaned the club that money just for a new owner to come along and enjoy.

So that person or organisation would first of all have to reach an agreement to pay John Fenty back as a £2 million lump sum, or by way of a repayment schedule in instalments. If a new owner was hoping to pay this back in instalments, then he would have to come up with a really miraculous and sustainable plan to generate sufficient gross profit in order for the football club to start paying back its loans. But there is absolutely no signs of the club generating that sort of profit at the moment in order to do so, save for a huge slice of football fortune, which clearly cannot be planned for.

If you then look carefully at the published accounts, you will also see that in addition to his loans, Mr Fenty has provided financial guarantees amounting to £325,000. This will be security for the banks for which they will provide things like overdraft facilities. So when people criticise him and talk about his loan, they need to realise that his support goes much further than that. Essentially if the club was to fall over financially tomorrow, then John Fenty would be legally bound to personally cough up, to the tune of up to £325,000 in order to settle the companies bank account balances. In winding the business up, he would then have to try to recover that money by way of the sale of assets, for which he maintains fixed and floating charges over, so has first dibs on those ahead of any outstanding creditors.

But in respect of this £325,000 personal guarantee, whichever person or organisation that wishes to take over from John Fenty, not only has to have the ability to stump up to clear the loans, but they also have to have the personal ability to become a guarantor to the tune of this £325,000.

Moving on from there, this brings us to the matter of John Fenty's shareholding. These are totally and utterly not connected to his lending or security for the club. These are shares that he has had to obtain by whatever means, mostly by purchase. Remember that the club is a PLC, anybody can buy the shares. But in order for them to obtain a majority stake in the business, or an controlling interest, then they would need to obtain buy greater number of shares than what John Fenty owns. Presumably by purchase, remembering that John Fenty really doesn't have to sell his shares either. So that could be a seriously large investment in order to surpass the shareholding of John Fenty and the other shareholders in order to reach a level of controlling interest.

Maybe John Fenty would have an appetite to dispense with his shares at a hugely discounted price, if he was going to recover his loans and be relieved of his security. And if he could be confident that the person taking over has what is needed financially to take the club forward. Who knows? Maybe not! He may wish to recover the cost of his shares too, or at least what is deemed as their current value.

But considering all of this, if John Fenty isn't convinced that a new person or organisation doesn't have the wealth to bring anything to the club that he cannot himself, then why the hell would he move aside. Especially when you consider that this is the club he loves, that he supports, and that he is financially quite comfortable with his existing exposure.

It is only when you start breaking it down that you start to realise people, that whilst some seek to paint John Fenty as the villain, that he is actually the only real bit of cement between the ailing bricks that is giving you a football club to follow. No matter whether you like that or not, it is the true facts of the matter.

1. my £2 million back.
2. being relieved of the need for me to provide £325,000 of personal guarantees.
4. a new owner that I know would be in the positive interests of the club, with something extra to bring to the table.

Considering you say you aren't john you know an awful lot about john?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 2:57pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from OneLove

I know only what can be read in the accounts. That's all. Anything else is supposition, or as I have said above, what I would want if I was in the fortunate position that he is in, and could have afforded to support the club financially like he has for all of these years.

Posted by: LH, January 10, 2018, 3:31pm; Reply: 8
When I sell my car eventually I want the full price I paid for it originally, the money back I’ve spent on stuff like tyres, fuel and screenwash to keep it running and the people who I’ve driven around in it to shut up. The fact I’ve taken it off road and ragged it about, let it rust and given it to crap mechanics to repair it doesn’t matter - I should be able to recoup everything I’ve spent on it.
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2018, 3:39pm; Reply: 9

Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2018, 3:47pm; Reply: 10

The fans could always fund a "GTFC up for sale" advertising campaign.

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 3:55pm; Reply: 11
Quoted from LH
When I sell my car eventually I want the full price I paid for it originally, the money back I’ve spent on stuff like tyres, fuel and screenwash to keep it running and the people who I’ve driven around in it to shut up. The fact I’ve taken it off road and ragged it about, let it rust and given it to crap mechanics to repair it doesn’t matter - I should be able to recoup everything I’ve spent on it.

A vehicle is a depreciating asset. A loan isn't. A loan is repayable. You are being loaned it, not gifted it. It is generally repayable with interest, but I've never heard anything about John Fenty ever charging interest on his loans. Have you? So there is something else to be grateful for.

Posted by: OneLove, January 10, 2018, 4:08pm; Reply: 12
Quoted from 120790

A vehicle is a depreciating asset. A loan isn't. A loan is repayable. You are being loaned it, not gifted it. It is generally repayable with interest, but I've never heard anything about John Fenty ever charging interest on his loans. Have you? So there is something else to be grateful for.

Seriously mate, you should perhaps come out of johns bottom and have a look in the real world of whats happening at the club.
Posted by: LH, January 10, 2018, 4:20pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from 120790

You’re right I suppose in that my analogy isn’t exactly the same as the club’s situation. However with cars it is better to spend a bit more money on genuine parts that will be of better quality than cheaper new or used parts. If things like this had been taken into consideration maybe potential buyers would be more understanding of why I want my full outlay back when I sell my car.

I’m not charging interest on top because I am aware that many - but not all - of the problems with my car have been caused by myself. For example: only paying for an apprentice mechanic to recover me from a cliff edge.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, January 10, 2018, 4:24pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 120790

1. my £2 million back.

All that plus wages, transfers, ground maintenance, expenses .......... every year ....... rain or shine.

Pie in the sky to think the fans could afford to finance that even if JF gave them the club for nothing.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 4:29pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from LH

You’re right I suppose in that my analogy isn’t exactly the same as the club’s situation. However with cars it is better to spend a bit more money on genuine parts that will be of better quality than cheaper new or used parts. If things like this had been taken into consideration maybe potential buyers would be more understanding of why I want my full outlay back when I sell my car.

I’m not charging interest on top because I am aware that many - but not all - of the problems with my car have been caused by myself. For example: only paying for an apprentice mechanic to recover me from a cliff edge.

Are you in the position where you are under any pressure to have to sell your car? Because Mr Fenty doesn't appear to be in any personal difficulty that means he needs a low cost "forced sale". He is in the fortunate position of being able to hang on to what he has got for ever and a day, even if it all fell over tomorrow.

Is that the same position with you and you lovely motor car. Could you essentially afford to continue enjoying it until it is completely clapped out and has no value, when you can then scrap it? Or are you in some sort of a desperate need of a sale.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 4:37pm; Reply: 16

All that plus wages, transfers, ground maintenance, expenses .......... every year ....... rain or shine.

Pie in the sky to think the fans could afford to finance that even if JF gave them the club for nothing.

All of that comes out of the annual operating revenue, and/or overdraft facility that John Fenty underwrites as security with his £325,000 guarantee of security for the bank.

But there is of course always need to inject further capital amounts as and when required. So for instance in the latest statement yesterday, the board said that further capital will be injected to finance some more players. Now that will be either by further loans or maybe the purchase of even more shares. Well done John, I am sure the supporters are very grateful to you for your efforts once again to improve things.

Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 10, 2018, 4:57pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from 120790

But there is of course always need to inject further capital amounts as and when required. So for instance in the latest statement yesterday, the board sa4id that further capital will be injected to finance some more players. Now that will be either by further loans or maybe the purchase of even more shares. Well done John, I am sure the supporters are very grateful to you for your efforts once again to improve things.

You must be a troll or you are completely divorced from reality. Are you really expecting us to give JF a massive pat on the back for this latest potential cash injection, when it's only required due to some abject decision making by the man himself  in employing Slade in the first place.

In effect you are saying we all supposed to suffer from this self made complete failure because the mistake results  in further loans!! Wow talk about socialising losses. This is a self made crisis created and now being reinforced by the board.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 4:59pm; Reply: 18
What ever makes you think this football club is not a depreciating assets,look how gates have fallen for a start,to lose 50% of your customers is a large depreciation on the value of a business I would say.
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 10, 2018, 5:07pm; Reply: 19
Quoted from 120790

1. my £2 million back.

All what you say may be perfectly true; I am not clued up on the clubs (or any) finances, but there are a couple of things that come into play, surely?

It is very unlikely that anybody else will come in and refund Mr. Fenty what he considers he is owed, besides the other financial commitments you talk about. But Mr. Fenty said at the forum that he was at the end of his tether with it all, and he must be feeling more like that after recent events. Therefore if he wants out, he would have to negotiate a dignified exit. It might be that he wouldn't get the whole amount back, it might be that he would have to accept the advantages of being a high profile football club chairman means he would have to consider some of his expenditure as a necessary expense for his 16 years in the limelight. It doesn't matter how difficult some of that time has been, the fact that he was in the spotlight  would have helped his business and political ambitions and would  have to be accounted for.

If the proposed new stadium does not go ahead within a short time frame, his position will become untenable don't you think? To go all these years with all those false dawns will surely mean he will have to think about taking losses on the chin to allow someone else to come in?

I suppose what I am saying it is not ALL about money is it?
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2018, 5:13pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from 120790

Money he loaned the club to pay for his cheap appointments and constant hiring and firing, but don't let real truth stop your propaganda, maybe you are just as tickled pink like Fenty with his latest appointment after the target he set the previous manager all of a sudden wasn't good enough.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 5:23pm; Reply: 21

All what you say may be perfectly true; I am not clued up on the clubs (or any) finances, but there are a couple of things that come into play, surely?

It is very unlikely that anybody else will come in and refund Mr. Fenty what he considers he is owed, besides the other financial commitments you talk about. But Mr. Fenty said at the forum that he was at the end of his tether with it all, and he must be feeling more like that after recent events. Therefore if he wants out, he would have to negotiate a dignified exit. It might be that he wouldn't get the whole amount back, it might be that he would have to accept the advantages of being a high profile football club chairman means he would have to consider some of his expenditure as a necessary expense for his 16 years in the limelight. It doesn't matter how difficult some of that time has been, the fact that he was in the spotlight  would have helped his business and political ambitions and would  have to be accounted for.

If the proposed new stadium does not go ahead within a short time frame, his position will become untenable don't you think? To go all these years with all those false dawns will surely mean he will have to think about taking losses on the chin to allow someone else to come in?

I suppose what I am saying it is not ALL about money is it?

He hasn't got to do anything. This is not a forced position. He can sit on this for as long as he wishes, in the knowledge that despite the emotions of supporters he doesn't have to sell, or give it away even.

The reality of it is that he knows that the fan base numbers and spirit, will fluctuate, both up and down, as the situation on the pitch does. He is comfortable with that. Crikey, whilst it wasn't ideal for him, he was able to financially cope and support even when it went wrong cataclysmic-ally and we dropped out of the league.

The Fishy, as popular as it might be, is actually a small proportion of the fan base. So we can all vent our spline if you wish us to. But it is hardly the voice of the majority.

"In the limelight" you say. I would hardly class it as being in the limelight.

"Benefit to his business" you say. Grimsby Town has had absolutely no benefit to his business activity at all. Quite the reverse in fact. We have benefited by way of survival as a result of his success in his business activity.

"Benefited as a councillor" you say. Really? I am sure that if you want to you can organise a campaign for people not to 0vote for him at the next election. I think you will find though, that losing his role as councillor is hardly going to damage him financially.

Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 5:28pm; Reply: 22
Quite frankly it is this sort of  sycophantal drivel that allows Fenty to legitimise his tenure.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 10, 2018, 5:40pm; Reply: 23
The Fishy, as popular as it might be, is actually a small proportion of the fan base. So we can all vent our spline if you wish us to. But it is hardly the voice of the majority.

Correct, the majority vote with their feet at BP. And they're staying away as you must have noticed, as their club, their team and the entertainment on offer becomes a depreciating asset.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 10, 2018, 5:58pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from 120790

1. my £2 million back.
4. a new owner that I know would be in the positive interests of the club, with something extra to bring to the table

Apart from the jawdropping condescending tone of your post where you presume that no one else on here has the ability to understand and dissect a basic set of accounts, all your post does is emphasise what an iron grip JF has made for himself at the club. A post like yours does JF no service whatsoever and just winds up the disgruntled majority further. Hey ho.. looks like it's your pastime of choice..

Say if he was demanding everything you've outlined. His personal investment into the club would end at zero. Away from balance sheets and P&L accounts, do you think that would be morally right? A free hit that has made thousands of fans miserable, embarrassed and apathetic over 15 years due to his decision making. Then on top of that, a person who has overseen the worst prolonged period in the club's history is the one measuring up any future candidate's suitability.

Now JF stuck his neck out and maybe we should be all grateful for that. Whether we'd have ended up in a better spot currently going down the administration route like other clubs have over the same period is a moot point. But surely there has to be a compromise somewhere if he wants the club to progress. There has to be if he wants to leave some kind of positive legacy and in a dignified and honourable manner.

We can all speculate until it happens and make judgements then. In the meantime,the weight of JF's legacy has been solidly thrown behind RS, and to me it's a very risky strategy..
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 10, 2018, 6:27pm; Reply: 25
Mr ascend ..... ahem ....... unfortunately its too late for propaganda. The ship is sailing out of port with 2000 fans aboard . The next 500 will follow sharpish if performances don't improve on the pitch ....  let's hope you , sorry , John are bluffing because I reckon the fans are gonna call you out on where you , sorry, John  state that the fan fluctuations don't bother you , sorry , john
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 10, 2018, 6:27pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from 120790

He hasn't got to do anything. This is not a forced position. He can sit on this for as long as he wishes, in the knowledge that despite the emotions of supporters he doesn't have to sell, or give it away even.

The reality of it is that he knows that the fan base numbers and spirit, will fluctuate, both up and down, as the situation on the pitch does. He is comfortable with that. Crikey, whilst it wasn't ideal for him, he was able to financially cope and support even when it went wrong cataclysmic-ally and we dropped out of the league.

"Benefit to his business" you say. Grimsby Town has had absolutely no benefit to his business activity at all. Quite the reverse in fact. We have benefited by way of survival as a result of his success in his business activity.

"Benefited as a councillor" you say. Really? I am sure that if you want to you can organise a campaign for people not to 0vote for him at the next election. I think you will find though, that losing his role as councillor is hardly going to damage him financially.

Hang on a minute! Lets make one thing straight before we go on any further. He did not act like he did all those years ago because of a kind disposition to the club. He may well have been a fan, but he saw an opportunity to take control of a football league club with a view to enhancing  his position locally. Initially at least he didn't expect years of toil and mounting loans - he presumably wanted to make a success of it.

He couldn't buy the kind of publicity he has had, good or bad in the intervening years, so his high profile must have been good for his business activity, on that basis alone. Able to invite business people to BP as a VIP, to sit at the top table and all that PR is priceless. Standing in local elections while in such a high profile position must have helped.

I am well aware the Fishy represents a small % of the fan base, but whether a fishy member or not they are voting with their feet; he may be able to cope with that, but it will be costing him money.

I urged people to keep the faith and keep attending earlier in the week, but I wish I hadn't now as you reminded me how pompous the Fenty supporters are!

Roll on the day when we are shot of the lot of you.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 6:37pm; Reply: 27
If I was in JF' shoes my first priority would be recovering my credibility.  
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 10, 2018, 6:42pm; Reply: 28
Whether you like it or not, what Ascend says is correct.  There is no way the fans can remove Fenty and buy the club.  To do that, you need to find a sugar daddy with £2m quid or more.

JF has always said he would sell if a buyer came along but they haven't.  

It always amazes me how posters on here think that running a lower league football club is so easy.  If it was so easy to have success and get promoted each season and never get relegated and never make bad decisions we'd need a different league structure with 24 promotions, no relegations and no sackings.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 10, 2018, 6:45pm; Reply: 29
Whether you like it or not, what Ascend says is correct.  There is no way the fans can remove Fenty and buy the club.  To do that, you need to find a sugar daddy with £2m quid or more.

It always amazes me how posters on here think that running a lower league football club is so easy.  If it was so easy to have success and get promoted each season and never get relegated and never make bad decisions we'd need a different league structure with 24 promotions, no relegations and no sackings.

Nobody thinks that. There is also the option of a dignified exit.
Posted by: Bristol Mariner, January 10, 2018, 6:50pm; Reply: 30
Quoted from 120790

Where did you get that leather jacket and turtle neck from? Asking for a friend....
Posted by: GrimExile, January 10, 2018, 7:01pm; Reply: 31
I’d be interested to know how many people criticising John Fenty are actual shareholders. Not many I’d have thought, and before you ask yes I am a shareholder.

Of course he has made mistakes, but at least he’s put his money where his mouth is which is more than be said for the majority of those critics.  

Just a thought!! UTM.
Posted by: RoboCod, January 10, 2018, 7:04pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from GrimExile
I’d be interested to know how many people criticising John Fenty are actual shareholders. Not many I’d have thought, and before you ask yes I am a shareholder.

Of course he has made mistakes, but at least he’s put his money where his mouth is which is more than be said for the majority of those critics.  

Just a thought!! UTM.

Paging User 'FFS'...if you hear this 'FFS' you are needed at the Fishy front desk.

Posted by: GrimExile, January 10, 2018, 7:09pm; Reply: 33
RoboCod are you a shareholder?
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 10, 2018, 7:17pm; Reply: 34
Quoted from GrimExile

Just a thought!! UTM.

I often wonder what would happen if JF gave these fans what they wanted.  If he walks away from the club and demands his money back.  The club would go into administration and most likely get relegated.  

We would probably be in conference north in 18 months.

If people have an alternatI've they should put it forward but all they have is moans.
Posted by: LondonMariner43, January 10, 2018, 7:19pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Nobody thinks that. There is also the option of a dignified exit.

Please can you explain a dignified exit? I assume you mean one where JF walks away with none of the money he has invested/ urinated against the wall?  Why should he do that?

If you don't mean that, please explain exactly what you do mean?
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 36

I often wonder what would happen if JF gave these fans what they wanted.   If he walks away from the club and demands his money back. The club would go into administration and most likely get relegated.  

We would probably be in conference north in 18 months.

If people have an alternatI've they should put it forward but all they have is moans.

Hasn't JF stated that it is a benign loan and he wouldn't harm the club with the debt !

Posted by: RoboCod, January 10, 2018, 7:27pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from GrimExile

Why?
Posted by: GrimExile, January 10, 2018, 7:47pm; Reply: 38
I just wondered.
Posted by: chaos33, January 10, 2018, 7:52pm; Reply: 39
London mariner, and RRFC and Ascend are right. That is the reality.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 10, 2018, 8:15pm; Reply: 40
Quoted from chaos33

Another 1000-1500 decide, "fook it, you can keep your club as it stands Fenty," it won't matter who owns what or who owes what..
Posted by: GrimRob, January 10, 2018, 8:19pm; Reply: 41
Rather than paying millions to pay off the existing owners, why not just start a new club along the lines of FC United, or invest in one of the other teams in the town? You could achieve quite a lot with a couple of millions I suspect.
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, January 10, 2018, 8:24pm; Reply: 42
Quoted from GrimRob
Rather than paying millions to pay off the existing owners, why not just start a new club along the lines of FC United, or invest in one of the other teams in the town? You could achieve quite a lot with a couple of millions I suspect.

It's not as simple as that is it. GTFC is in our blood, that is why people are upset about the way the club is being run and fed up with the rubbish served up on the pitch.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 10, 2018, 8:25pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from GrimRob

They're not Grimsby Town Rob..
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2018, 8:29pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from GrimRob

Not for me....GTFC will always be my only team (with England).

Good idea in theory though, would probably be more attractive to new investors if every Town fan jumped ship.

Posted by: denni266, January 10, 2018, 8:31pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from Bristol Mariner

Where did you get that leather jacket and turtle neck from? Asking for a friend....

Think it looked like somert out of an old oxfam store --- so  6o`s.. mind prob got them free with the new car...  the names bond,,, brook bond  lol
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 8:35pm; Reply: 46
Quoted from Bigdog

Say if he was demanding everything you've outlined. His personal investment into the club would end at zero. Away from balance sheets and P&L accounts, do you think that would be morally right?

Yes that would be morally right.

John Fenty doesn’t owe anything at all to us as supporters. The only obligation he has is a fiduciary duty to the stakeholders under company law.

By the way, there is a pattern here of people labelling my plain talking posts as being condescending. Come on you can do better that surely. It seems to me that when some read opinions or fact that they don’t like, or doesn’t sit comfortably with them, that they go on the offensive and start labelling with words like pompous or condescending. Seriously

Debate away guys, but do try to do so with an element of maturity. Believe me, as soon as I read something you post that I agree with or is factually correct, I’ll be straight in there suggesting you’ve made a good point that I agree with. I may even give you one of them super green ticks
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2018, 8:39pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from GrimRob

More chance of getting a new stadium   ;)

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 8:40pm; Reply: 48
Quoted from GrimRob

Says the man whose signature reads:-

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.  
Posted by: Badger57, January 10, 2018, 8:46pm; Reply: 49

Love @superdan147’s Tweet:  :)
How we fans can buy our club in one cunning tweet...

https://twitter.com/superdan147/status/950862171507974146?s=09
Posted by: ginnywings, January 10, 2018, 8:48pm; Reply: 50
Quoted from 120790

John Fenty doesn’t owe anything at all to us as supporters. The only obligation he has is a fiduciary duty to the stakeholders under company law.

By the way, there is a pattern here of people labelling my plain talking posts as being condescending. Come on you can do better that surely. It seems to me that when some read opinions or fact that they don’t like, or doesn’t sit comfortably with them, that they go on the offensive and start labelling with words like pompous or condescending. Seriously

Debate away guys, but do try to do so with an element of maturity. Believe me, as soon as I read something you post that I agree with or is factually correct, I’ll be straight in there suggesting you’ve made a good point that I agree with. I may even give you one of them super green ticks

The irony.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 8:49pm; Reply: 51
You are very wrong Ascend  J.F.is not the owner, merely the custodian G.T.F.C. is not his to own it belongs to the generations that have paid their admission fees. He may own the bricks and mortar but it is like a listed building he has a duty to preserve and pass it onto the person who succeeds him .
The spirit of G.T.F.C. is owned by it's supporters.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 10, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 52
Quoted from promotion plaice

Hasn't JF stated that it is a benign loan and he wouldn't harm the club with the debt !

JF has stated in the past that the money he put in to the club has effectively been "written off" ( in his head that is ), so if push ever came to shove and he really has had enough of running the club - as he intimated at the fans' forum - would he walk away without his donation?

I very much doubt it.... ::)

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 10, 2018, 8:52pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from 120790

You are pompous though!
Posted by: promotion plaice, January 10, 2018, 8:55pm; Reply: 54
Quoted from Badger57

Love @superdan147’s Tweet:  :)
How we fans can buy our club in one cunning tweet...

https://twitter.com/superdan147/status/950862171507974146?s=09

No problem with betting the £18

But hoping we go back into the tinpot

[img]http://www.pic4ever.com/images/hessam4.gif[/img]
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2018, 9:05pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from 120790

How much does he stand to make on the proposed new site development, isn't the land is owned by Fenty's son in law's family?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 9:06pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from friskneymariner
You are very wrong Ascend  J.F.is not the owner, merely the custodian G.T.F.C. is not his to own it belongs to the generations that have paid their admission fees. He may own the bricks and mortar but it is like a listed building he has a duty to preserve and pass it onto the person who succeeds him .
The spirit of G.T.F.C. is owned by it's supporters.

Im sorry, and don’t take this the wrong way, but you are living in a strange world if you genuinely believe that. Certainly not the business world.

In this day and age, the word “Club” really isn’t appropriate any longer in football. No longer is Football a member based environment. It’s now, moreso than ever before, a very tough and difficult business world.

Supporters are merely that, people that will love their club, live their club and worship their heroes and legends when they come and go. Their non attendance and low morale may even influence an owner to fire a manager. But that’s as far as it goes

To keep a business going like GTFC takes a huge amount of finance and passion to part with that cash. It’s a business transaction though. Owners have every right to protect their loan, to expect to get it back.

Without a high net worth individual like Mr Fenty, you wouldn’t be having an emotive conversation about your beloved football team, because frankly it would be dead and gone years ago.

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 9:09pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Marinerz93

How much does he stand to make on the proposed new site development, isn't the land is owned by Fenty's son in law's family?

Absolutely no idea

Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 10, 2018, 9:10pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from 120790

Im sorry, and don’t take this the wrong way, but you are living in a strange world if you genuinely believe that. Certainly not the business world.

In this day and age, the word “Club” really isn’t appropriate any longer in football. No longer is Football a member based environment. It’s now, moreso than ever before, a very tough and difficult business world.

Supporters are merely that, people that will love their club, live their club and worship their heroes and legends when they come and go. Their non attendance and low morale may even influence an owner to fire a manager. But that’s as far as it goes

To keep a business going like GTFC takes a huge amount of finance and passion to part with that cash. It’s a business transaction though. Owners have every right to protect their loan, to expect to get it back.

Without a high net worth individual like Mr Fenty, you wouldn’t be having an emotive conversation about your beloved football team, because frankly it would be dead and gone years ago.

You are being more pompous than ever!
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 59

You are being more pompous than ever!

And you sound like you have nothing more of substance to offer the discussion.

Thanks for the amusement

Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2018, 9:14pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from 120790

Like Mike Parker you mean Mr Marley.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 10, 2018, 9:15pm; Reply: 61
Quoted from 120790

Thanks for the amusement

And here's all of us thinking it's a lecture..  ;D
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 9:16pm; Reply: 62
Quoted from Marinerz93

Like Mike Parker you mean Mr Marley.

Bob ?
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 10, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 63
Quoted from 120790

Thanks for the amusement

I said my piece earlier, and in many other threads so I am not interested in what you think.

What does interest me at the moment though is your pomposity.

1878 GTFC were formed. With or without Fenty and his cronies we will be here for many, many, many more years yet.

UTM.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 9:20pm; Reply: 64

1878 GTFC were formed. With or without Fenty and his cronies we will be here for many, many, many more years yet.

UTM.

Huh, maybe not. Football is a fragile business at our level. Ask the Hartlepools

Posted by: nightrider, January 10, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 65
Without the fans there is no club. Without fenty, there will still be a club in whatever guise
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 9:27pm; Reply: 66
Sorry do not understand what you imply in high net worth individual,if by that you mean some one who has acquired their wealth by exploiting the disempowered then you may be correct. Saying that a football club is a business is just the same as saying the Health Service is a business .Monetarism has long been discredited and we can all see where the Health Service is going to being run like a business.

No longer  is acquisitive capitalism acceptable but a sense of community benifit is growing,may take a long time to reach Grimsby but it is coming Perhaps we may have unearthed J.F's Achilles heel,he may be a very astute business man but lacks emotional intelligence .
Posted by: Marinerz93, January 10, 2018, 9:36pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from 120790

Bob ?

Nice one Steve.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 10, 2018, 9:41pm; Reply: 68

Please can you explain a dignified exit? I assume you mean one where JF walks away with none of the money he has invested/ urinated against the wall?  Why should he do that?

If you don't mean that, please explain exactly what you do mean?

Yes, because he's had a go at it for 15 years and hasn't done very well. He's saddled the club with loads of debt and in that time the club has been an almost total failure. He's said he's fed up of it, nobody will take the club on while the benign loans exist, so why prolong his time in charge?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 10, 2018, 9:45pm; Reply: 69
Sorry do not understand what you imply in high net worth individual,if by that you mean some one who has acquired their wealth by exploiting the disempowered then you may be correct. Saying that a football club is a business is just the same as saying the Health Service is a business .Monetarism has long been discredited and we can all see where the Health Service is going to being run like a business.

No longer  is acquisitive capitalism acceptable but a sense of community benifit is growing,may take a long time to reach Grimsby but it is coming Perhaps we may have unearthed J.F's Achilles heel,he may be a very astute business man but lacks emotional intelligence .

High net worth individual... I suggest you google it.

What the hell has the NHS got to do with the football business.

You are beginning to sound like a trade unionist

Posted by: nightrider, January 10, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 70
[quote=355]

Yes, because he's had a go at it for 15 years and hasn't done very well. He's saddled the club with loads of debt and in that time the club has been an almost total failure. He's said he's fed up of it, nobody will take the club on while the benign loans exist, so why prolong his time in charge? [/quote

I've got the same question. I presume he prolongs it because the club isn't worth what he's invested and so he might as well keep hold of it instead of giving it away in the hope that somebody stumps up at least afew million to buy him out. It's never going to happen

Stick us in the same position as when he bought the club, a championship club, and I'm sure we'd be a lot more desirable. But we aren't are we
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 9:58pm; Reply: 71

There's this thing which might be news to you RRFC. It's called an entry ticket. it entitles the holder to enter the ground to watch the football. But, there's a catch. You have to pay money for the ticket.

And if that isn't enough of an innovation. Well it's several innovations in one. It's generally called 'commercial income'. Companies pay money....

...well you get the drift.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 10, 2018, 10:00pm; Reply: 72
Quoted from 120790

Can I just say congratulations on some top trolling.
At least you put some effort in.  Although emotive issues will always make your sad hobby that much easier.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:02pm; Reply: 73
Quoted from GrimExile

Just a thought!! UTM.

Another patronising idiot in the 'oooh, you're ordinary football fans, you couldn't possibly understand business. There's no way you could afford to buy shares.'
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:04pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from chaos33

It's not like arithmetic, where 1 + 1 is always 2. They're opinions not facts.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 75
Depends on your definition of high net worth,I know some very rich people who are totally devoid of any ethical values would you say those are high net worth?
No,sorry yes of course you would because  like you only value people by their monetary value not what they contribute to society as a whole, well forgive me you sound like a materialistic conservative who only values things in monetary terms.

Being   a committed anarchist all my life why would I partake in anything as hierarchical and organised as a Union.
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 10, 2018, 10:07pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from 120790

While I understand that there may well be more to JF's involvement in Town than meets the eye and you are entitled to defend him as much as others choose to criticise him, your last statement is merely your opinion and not fact

Whilst JF chose to put money in to the club when it was facing some major financial difficulties, nobody can say that the club would definitely have gone under without his involvement....that is mere speculation on your part
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:08pm; Reply: 77

I've heard of reading between the lines, but you're writing between them! No one has said running a football club is easy. And your second sentence is one of those nonsense statements that no one can logically take the opposite view to - and no one has suggested or implied. It's like one of those slogans politicians come out with like "we're the party for law-abiding citizens", "we're the party for working families".
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, January 10, 2018, 10:10pm; Reply: 78
Well after reading all the richer than thou crap that has been spouted on this thread tonight the sooner we get rid of the man at the top the better. Ascend for me you have done more damage than the vanilla coated statement the board put out last night.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:11pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from FishOutOfWater

JF has stated in the past that the money he put in to the club has effectively been "written off" ( in his head that is ), so if push ever came to shove and he really has had enough of running the club - as he intimated at the fans' forum - would he walk away without his donation?

I very much doubt it.... ::)

Are you suggesting he wasn't telling the truth?!  ;D
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:12pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from Marinerz93

I thought the land was owned by the council?
Posted by: FishOutOfWater, January 10, 2018, 10:16pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Are you suggesting he wasn't telling the truth?!  ;D

I'm prepared to take him at his word KM  ;)

If JF has written off the loans "in his head" though, I do wonder why he's not actually written them off in reality ::)
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:22pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from 120790

Huh, maybe not. Football is a fragile business at our level. Ask the Hartlepools

Which is exactly why his loans and shares are not worth their face value. Without the fans there is no business.The most he would get is the value of the land (minus the cost of demolishing the stadium, disposing of the rubble and restoring the land to a safe condition for building houses on).

But then you'd already understand that being so business savvy wouldn't you.

And it's all very well saying people are too emotional about it. JF himself is an emotional person - he loves GTFC with a passion. In the doomsday scenario his legacy then would be the man who killed off Grimsby Town Football Club. So JF would not think about the thing in a wholly dispassionate way.

You try to come across as the wise man who 'understands business', but you're really just a patronising muppet with an over-inflated sense of your own abilities.

Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 10:25pm; Reply: 83
Ascend really is an intellectual  lightweight like all those who have dogmatic ideological views he has no cogent response when challenged,he lives in his black and white world where there are no shades of grey,he does his cause no good at all.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 10, 2018, 10:29pm; Reply: 84
Quoted from 120790

He's bang on actually privatizing the profits socialising the losses, it's the same concept both in this context and the trend towards the deconstruction of the nhs.
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 10, 2018, 10:33pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from 120790

It was a rich man that copulated them up.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:34pm; Reply: 86
Depends on your definition of high net worth,I know some very rich people who are totally devoid of any ethical values would you say those are high net worth?
No,sorry yes of course you would because  like you only value people by their monetary value not what they contribute to society as a whole, well forgive me you sound like a materialistic conservative who only values things in monetary terms.

Being   a committed anarchist all my life why would I partake in anything as hierarchical and organised as a Union.

Away days become exciting again after the people's takeover of the football club.

A las barricadas!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97slLgT48dM
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 10, 2018, 10:36pm; Reply: 87
Quoted from 120790

Are you suggesting that a football club couldn't survive without a rich man lending it money?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, January 10, 2018, 10:40pm; Reply: 88
Quoted from 120790

Put this in simple terms for you Descend.

People value the NHS. You can say they have an emotional attachment to it. People regard it as theirs. Mess around with it at your peril. Even Conservatives understand that.

People value GTFC*. People also have an emotional attachment to it. Mess around with it at your peril.

(*disclaimer: people feel the same way about other football clubs too)
Posted by: GrimRob, January 10, 2018, 10:50pm; Reply: 89
Quoted from 120790

Says the man whose signature reads:-

Success is the ability to go from failure to failure without losing your enthusiasm.  

I wasn't proposing doing it myself, but the question was raised about investing millions (which none of us have).

It does raise the interesting question of what a club is and I believe it is the supporters. If nearly every GTFC fan decided to support a different team (as happened with AFC Wimbledon) then the other side would in effect become Town.
Posted by: friskneymariner, January 10, 2018, 10:53pm; Reply: 90
See he has logged off now,hope we haven't hurt his feelings,well i'm  lying really.
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 10, 2018, 11:02pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from 120790

I disagree, in all your ramblings you seem to forget that it was John Fenty's and I assume other directors abject failure to sack Neil Woods during that long pitiful run of games without a win (all we needed was 2 more wins and a draw that would have seen us safe) that in John Fenty's words would cost the club £500,000 per season so that is £3,000,000 lost in the 6 years we were out of the Football League so on that assumption he should really go whistle for his £2,000,000.
Posted by: sackthemascot, January 11, 2018, 12:05am; Reply: 92
If I was in JF' shoes my first priority would be recovering my credibility.  

If I was in JF's shoes, i would purchase a roll neck and a light brown leather bomber jacket to prove i was just like a typical town fan 😂
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 11, 2018, 6:51am; Reply: 93
I think a significant invesment in clee town will slowly eat away at town's fragile floating supporters .... it wouldn't take too much to get the to nat lg north . If I were ascend / Jf I wouldn't be so cocky as when this happens its gonna cost
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 11, 2018, 7:11am; Reply: 94
Quoted from GrimExile

Yoo Hoo look at me im a shareholder.Whoopy effin doo I have spent thousands on Town over the years as have most of us we have more than paid our way in tickets,shirts,scarves.Also any fan who is a member of the trust is a shareholder so put that in your pipe and smoke it.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 11, 2018, 7:49am; Reply: 95
Ascend really is an intellectual  lightweight like all those who have dogmatic ideological views he has no cogent response when challenged, he lives in his black and white world where there are no shades of grey,he does his cause no good at all.

The majority on here live in the black and white world, he's just on the black to your white. Very few posters see both sides of the picture and some dissect every word said to find a hole and beat the club/JF/trust/anybody associated with GTFC with it.

I don't think there's anything the current board can say or do that a few on here won't overreact and turn it into a conspiracy. It's counterproductive to the club moving forwards, but these people are blinded by their rage and polarised view that the incumbent board need to go. I don't see what good is going to be done by continually bitching about the same things over and over again.

Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 11, 2018, 8:07am; Reply: 96
Quoted from pen penfras

The majority on here live in the black and white world, he's just on the black to your white. Very few posters see both sides of the picture and some dissect every word said to find a hole and beat the club/JF/trust/anybody associated with GTFC with it.

I don't think there's anything the current board can say or do that a few on here won't overreact and turn it into a conspiracy. It's counterproductive to the club moving forwards, but these people are blinded by their rage and polarised view that the incumbent board need to go. I don't see what good is going to be done by continually bitching about the same things over and over again.

I am assuming you're one of the enlightened few that see both sides then?

People are "bitching" about the same things because they're happening over and over again. It's also the case that many of the big issues have never been dealt with properly, so they remain contentious.

The problem is you lose trust and the board have lost the trust of the fans.
Posted by: 1mickylyons, January 11, 2018, 8:12am; Reply: 97
Quoted from 120790

You have a strange way of looking at things for a fan in my opinion. JF is only the custodian of this Club which has been around since 1878 by the way.Now morally I think he has an obligation to do several things in that role.One of which would be retaining our football league status,you will recall in this he has failed once already but he did oversee getting it back. The culture and identity of the Club should be preserved here I can`t really knock him as nothing has really changed in the stands on his watch other than were all a bit more drunk off.JF as a businessman upon getting the horns of power I would have expected to try and push the Club forward.This I have no doubt he has tried to do in relation to new ground.However his thinking appears to be clouded at best  on if we are fans or customers and how to get us to back him and his board and idea`s? On this point when all was fairly rosey in the garden after beating FGR at Wembley and the football club (even if it`s with hindsight) failed miserably to capitilise on the support where is the response? JF and his board MUST take up the cudgels and do 10 rounds with a root and branch approach to their own staff instead of blaming the fans.We as fans can all see the failings but we tend to not really be all that bothered if the team are winning or playing ok.The situation since the FGR win as lurched from bad to disaster within 18 Months and people like you want to steer the blame towards the fans.Well ok then but the average gate has been over 4k the whole time so the fans haven't gone anywhere in real terms so how exactly can they be blamed Ascend explain that?
Posted by: Bigdog, January 11, 2018, 9:43am; Reply: 98
Quoted from pen penfras

Amazing.. Our average attendance was 5400 last season and it looks like we are going to be down to 50% of that on Saturday. That's in six months! Of the remaining 2700 or so, I'd say a good 50% are truly cheesed off and disenfranchised as well. So we are not talking about a polarised few or a vocal minority. We are talking about the vast majority, especially when you add in the fans that have given up and haven't been for a good while. So calling comments on here a polarised view from the board is true, but it's the fans that are being polarised by the actions and views of the board. The disgruntled, disenfranchised fan is the majority view and it is the board that have polarised themselves from the consensus.

What has struck me though is the way that fans have decided to stay away. It's not been a mass protest, it's not been a call to arms, it's not been banners, it's been private family decisions in twos or threes, and many are current season ticket holders. GTFC fans aren't as stupid as some would like to portray, they know what is at stake and are still voting with their feet. It's a serious situation that the board or the inner circle are failing to grasp by continuing to prod away at the remaining diehards. As someone else has said, the board has completely lost the trust of the fans and I don't think it will get it back unless there is a radical overhaul..
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 10:06am; Reply: 99
Quoted from pen penfras

Thank you pen penfras. Good post.

Posted by: malkamalka, January 11, 2018, 10:14am; Reply: 100
So, from reading all of the above, here's the preferred solution:

1. John Fenty "gifts" his shareholding to the fans (Trust);
2. He write's off his loans
3. As a "fan" he secretly arranges to pay off the £325k guarentee
4. He then announces his departure from football with immediate effect
5, The next day, he purchases one million pounds worth of shares in Lincoln

Everybody happy?
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 10:15am; Reply: 101
Quoted from 1mickylyons

JF and his board MUST take up the cudgels and do 10 rounds with a root and branch approach to their own staff instead of blaming the fans.

People like you want to steer the blame towards the fans.

Thank you for your reply. I am really intrigued with your two comments above.

I would be grateful if you could please show me where I have steered any blame towards the fans, for any of Grimsby's football struggling, presently or in the past?

I would also ask you to show me where John Fenty, or the board, have also blamed the fans for any struggles? I can't recall that he has at any stage blamed the fans for any of the football related or business related matters.

Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 10:29am; Reply: 102
Quoted from malkamalka

3. As a "fan" he secretly arranges to pay off the £325k guarentee

Number three in your post isn't possible, since it isn't an amount that has been paid, it is just a guarantee he has committed to, that he has offered to the clubs bank.

So essentially, a new owner would have to prove to the bank, that they have the assets or liquid cash amounting to £325,000 in security, should it be ever needed.

Just out of interest, business lenders, as a rule of thumb, look at a business asset value, and will normally lend up to around 70% of that realisable businesses asset value.

In respect of share purchase, it is technically illegal for a share buyer to use the assets of an incorporated business as security to lend in order to buy the shares in his/her target business to be acquired. However there are ways around this, which I have used myself. In the legal world it is known as the "whitewash procedure" (don't ask me why). It involves the auditors of the business and the incoming owner, proving and providing a legal document to state that they are satisfied, that in using the business assets for security to purchase the shares, that the business (not the shareholders) is still capable of meeting its financial liability as and when it is due.

The "Whitewash Procedure", on a much grander scale, was what the Glaziers were able to invoke, in order to purchase the shares of Manchester United.

On a much smaller scale, it cost me around £7,000 in professional and legal costs, to use the "Whitewash Procedure" when I borrowed around £220,000 to buy the shares in the business that I now own. So it ain't cheap in any respect. I only found about it when I was considering buying my business, because I was struggling to raise the money. No name drop intended, but it was only when I was discussing this with a friend of mine who is/was a top financial wizard for Richard Bransons organisations (and a Grimsby fan), that he informed me about it. Oddly enough when I spoke to the bank about it, my local commercial lending manager didn't have a clue what the "whitewash procedure" was. He had to go away and investigate it at a much higher level.

I am not entirely sure either, if since then, that the government have now removed the loophole of being able to use the Whitewash Procedure. Possibly they have in Private companies, but maybe not in Public companies.

That brings me to the matter of the gift of shares, because some people on here keep suggesting that shares should be given to the supporters or supporters trust. You are aware I hope that there is heavy taxation (Capital Gains Tax) associated with the gift of shares?
Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 10:49am; Reply: 103
Quoted from 120790

I would be grateful if you could please show me where I have steered any blame towards the fans, for any of Grimsby's football struggling, presently or in the past?

I would also ask you to show me where John Fenty, or the board, have also blamed the fans for any struggles? I can't recall that he has at any stage blamed the fans for any of the football related or business related matters.

Did he not in the fans forum clearly blame us fans for investors not wanting to come on board, you know the ones who work all week and follow the club on a weekend up and down the country putting our cash to the table win or lose. I think he's had a fair few good offers of investment come at the club but look where we are now, all squabbling over a guy who's plummeted our historic club to its lowest ever. Am i right in thinking at one point we had an offer from coca cola for a new stadium???

Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 10:50am; Reply: 104
Quoted from 120790

Did he not in the fans forum clearly blame us fans for investors not wanting to come on board, you know the ones who work all week and follow the club on a weekend up and down the country putting our cash to the table win or lose. I think he's had a fair few good offers of investment come at the club but look where we are now, all squabbling over a guy who's plummeted our historic club to its lowest ever. Am i right in thinking at one point we had an offer from coca cola for a new stadium???

Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 10:51am; Reply: 105
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 10:54am; Reply: 106
OneLove, I think you have got that completely out of context to be fair. He has never blamed the supporters for anything at all that he has done in running the club.

Neither has he blamed anyone for not coming on board. He may have perhaps referenced them in his attempts to get people on board as investors. But that is hardly the same as blaming them for any issues is it?

Never heard anything about Coca Cola, ever.
Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 10:59am; Reply: 107
Think it might of been the coca cola truck coming into town haha, nah Im pretty sure moons ago around that conoco stadium talk.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2018, 11:03am; Reply: 108
Well, i for one am heartened, and have a spring in my step now that Ascend has explained to me why we have absolutely zero influence in our club because we don't have the requisite knowledge, influence, or more crucially, the cash, to even consider such a thing. We don't have the business contacts either. Wish i had a mate who was a top whizz kid for Richard Branson, and maybe then i wouldn't be forced to shop in Lidl.  :-/

Remind me Ascend, how much have the fans put into the club in the last 15 years? A sight more than the board i bet.
Posted by: Civvy at last, January 11, 2018, 11:07am; Reply: 109
Quoted from 120790

Thank you pen penfras. Good post.

Why don't you just thank him in person, at the next board meeting ?  ;)
Posted by: RoboCod, January 11, 2018, 11:10am; Reply: 110
Quoted from Civvy at last

Why don't you just thank him in person, at the next board meeting ?  ;)

Now this could be post of the week  ;D
Posted by: lew chaterleys lover, January 11, 2018, 11:22am; Reply: 111
Quoted from ginnywings
Well, i for one am heartened, and have a spring in my step now that Ascend has explained to me why we have absolutely zero influence in our club because we don't have the requisite knowledge, influence, or more crucially, the cash, to even consider such a thing. We don't have the business contacts either. Wish i had a mate who was a top whizz kid for Richard Branson, and maybe then i wouldn't be forced to shop in Lidl.  :-/

Remind me Ascend, how much have the fans put into the club in the last 15 years? A sight more than the board i bet.

God its a mess when Ascend (Marley) has to come on here and make things ten times worse.

He is obviously speaking from inside knowledge and thinks he is being really clever in letting us plebs know the "facts."

I think he will soon find out that fans have a lot more power than he thinks, and could effectively close the club down. None of us want that, but even an out and out die hard like me is beginning to think is it worth keeping the club alive just so the Fenty clan can rub our noses in it every day.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 112
Quoted from ginnywings

You are absolutely correct GinnyWings, the supporters have spent fortunes with the club in the last 15 years. I couldn't agree more. Super fans and the club is lucky to have them, even if some of them come and go depending on results etc.

But haven't the good people of Grimsby also spent fortunes in Tesco and Asda too over the years? Or on Sky Sports subscriptions? But I don't see any of them having a controlling interest in any of those businesses. Apart from of course the obvious freedom to shop where they want or to switch to Netflix or just watch terrestrial TV.

I have got every sympathy for the supporters, because of their love and emotional attachment for the club, and their desire to see the club progress. I fall into that category. But there aren't any of us out there, save for somebody we don't know of, that is a fan with either the finance to buy the club, or even the desire to do so assuming they could afford it.

So ginnywings, until such a time as somebody does step forward and is prepared to satisfy the needs financially in order to take up the reins, then we have John Fenty and the existing board and owners. Now some might not like that, but that dislike isn't going to change anything at all. The stay away fans might make the job more difficult for John and the board, but that is as far as it goes.

God its a mess when Ascend (Marley) has to come on here and make things ten times worse.

He is obviously speaking from inside knowledge and thinks he is being really clever in letting us plebs know the "facts."

Lew Chatterlys Lover, I really am just a normal Grimsby Town fan, with no connection to the board and no inside knowledge.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2018, 11:52am; Reply: 113
I really think you should change your name to Arsend in homage to the orifice you talk out of
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 11:54am; Reply: 114
Quoted from MuddyWaters
I really think you should change your name to Arsend in homage to the orifice you talk out of

Thanks for that Old Codger  :)
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2018, 12:17pm; Reply: 115
I really hate that supermarket analogy. Yes, i put money into other businesses and don't expect any say or influence in said businesses, but then if i don't agree with them or like them, i can just go elsewhere. I can't do that with my football club, because there is this little thing called emotional attachment. There is a lifetime of memories, good and bad connected to my love of my football club.

You can waffle on until you are blue in the face about the owners ( i prefer custodians) and how they are selflessly prepared to spend many hours and much of their personal wealth on running a football club, but they were not there at some point in our past, and they will not be there at some point in the future. They are but ships in the night and they took it upon themselves to get into that position. I'm not sure what percentage JF has spent of his personal wealth on the club but even if he walked away today with nothing, i'm sure he would have enough millions left to have a nice comfortable life. I know fans who have spent their last £20 on a match ticket, so it's all relative isn't it?

The problem i can see is that it's all about the business side of things and no-one seems to be giving much thought to what a football club actually is. It's a group collective of like minded people known as fans and without them, there is nothing, zilch. Without a board we can believe in, a manager we can believe in and players we can believe in, none of the other stuff matters. In this quest for financial and league stability, someone seems to have forgotten the key ingredient- the football. Without the excitement, entertainment and buzz that should be a matchday experience, you may as well pack it all in now. It seems a lot already have.

Ascend- price of everything, value of nothing.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 12:32pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from ginnywings
I really hate that supermarket analogy. Yes, i put money into other businesses and don't expect any say or influence in said businesses, but then if i don't agree with them or like them, i can just go elsewhere. I can't do that with my football club, because there is this little thing called emotional attachment. There is a lifetime of memories, good and bad connected to my love of my football club.

You can waffle on until you are blue in the face about the owners ( i prefer custodians) and how they are selflessly prepared to spend many hours and much of their personal wealth on running a football club, but they were not there at some point in our past, and they will not be there at some point in the future. They are but ships in the night and they took it upon themselves to get into that position. I'm not sure what percentage JF has spent of his personal wealth on the club but even if he walked away today with nothing, i'm sure he would have enough millions left to have a nice comfortable life. I know fans who have spent their last £20 on a match ticket, so it's all relative isn't it?

The problem i can see is that it's all about the business side of things and no-one seems to be giving much thought to what a football club actually is. It's a group collective of like minded people known as fans and without them, there is nothing, zilch. Without a board we can believe in, a manager we can believe in and players we can believe in, none of the other stuff matters. In this quest for financial and league stability, someone seems to have forgotten the key ingredient- the football. Without the excitement, entertainment and buzz that should be a matchday experience, you may as well pack it all in now. It seems a lot already have.

Ascend- price of everything, value of nothing.

GinnyWings it might surprise you to know that I agree with much of what you have written there. I don't have any issue with any of it, and I fully appreciate the supporters point of view.

However, where I think we differ, if you don't mind me saying so, is that I am realistic in my views of the business element of modern day football clubs. Believe me, I wish that business finance wasn't a key factor in the success or failure of a football club, or even in its very existence. But sadly it is. So the supporters hold on to their clubs for the pure love of the sport and their love of their teams, but away from that somebody has to run those football clubs as businesses, struggle at our level and even prop them up.

It really is a far cry from the ideal world, but it is what it is, and neither you nor me will ever change that.The sporting and the business element are unfortunately inextricable
Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 1:03pm; Reply: 117
I think our club and owners should look at Bradford as a good example of putting bums on seats and looking after their fans. £169 for an adult season ticket, 17000 plus sold, good revenue and twelfth man!
Posted by: GrimRob, January 11, 2018, 1:09pm; Reply: 118
Quoted from OneLove
I think our club and owners should look at Bradford as a good example of putting bums on seats and looking after their fans. £169 for an adult season ticket, 17000 plus sold, good revenue and twelfth man!

Quite a few clubs have season tickets considerably cheaper  than ours - including Lincoln, Scunny and Hull

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41482931
Posted by: Maringer, January 11, 2018, 1:15pm; Reply: 119
Not really a great comparison. Bradford have such a big stadium that they need to fill it and can guarantee they will sell large numbers of season tickets to get enough revenue into the coffers.

If we priced our season tickets at a similar level we'd sell perhaps 50% more of them (max) but then would be much worse off as we're not going to double our attendances by doing so. Many of those buying the cheaper season tickets wouldn't be paying full price at the gate as they do now so much less money coming in

It would be good for the club if we could have cheaper season tickets and therefore higher attendances but the finances wouldn't work out in a smaller town such as ourselves, unfortunately.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2018, 1:21pm; Reply: 120
I know they are inextricable but where we differ is that you seem to believe that there is no other way than what we have now. While there are 3000 fans willing to put a million-ish pounds into the club in season ticket sales, and another potential 3000 or more out there willing to do the same on a matchday if the football on offer is worth getting behind, that is the football club right there. Add in the league money and other commercial income, plus god forbid, a cup run now and again, not to mention nurturing talent to sell on, there is more than enough money, plus potential money to have a situation where no-one need 'prop up' the club. All it takes is for someone to bring all this together and make more right decisions than wrong ones.

Yep, i know that is all easy to say and it's not another pop at those in charge now, but this club has enough potential to prosper if everyone can be brought together and moving in the same direction. Too many feel the current board and manager are not capable of achieving this, so will obviously discuss alternatives- it's human nature. It may well be a pipe dream, but it doesn't hurt to throw around a few ideas without someone telling us we are deluded and don't understand business well enough.

I respect your opinion, but don't expect myself or others to agree with it.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 121
I think that you two have made some good points with regards to the lower cost season tickets.

I would imagine that the fear in offering reduced price season tickets in order to increase support, is that they could possibly put these on sale and still only get the same or similar season ticket number sales, but for a fraction of the sales revenue. It's a real tough one I suppose to have to grasp that nettle and try.

Maybe the way forward for the board in considering this as an option, would be to put out a survey throughout the town.

With simple questions of:-
"If Grimsby Town offered really low priced season tickets at £x per ticket (obviously list the various rates) would you buy a ticket"

"If you would buy season tickets at these prices, then how many would you buy in each category".

Now whilst this sort of survey (which incidentally could be done online with verifiable address look ups) wouldn't offer the club any guarantees of a season ticket sale figure, it would never the less provide some sort of a feel for the likely outcome of an offer.

If the club looked at the existing sales data of ticket sales based on average ticket sales, say over the last three seasons, they could work the prices back, calculating the level of new discounted season sales they would require to ensure that the overall ticket revenue isn't any less.

This then would increase attendance at Blundell Park which would increase other commercial revenue. Not to mention the effect that an increased home crowd and atmosphere could have on the results.
Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 1:22pm; Reply: 122
Quoted from Maringer
Not really a great comparison. Bradford have such a big stadium that they need to fill it and can guarantee they will sell large numbers of season tickets to get enough revenue into the coffers.

If we priced our season tickets at a similar level we'd sell perhaps 50% more of them (max) but then would be much worse off as we're not going to double our attendances by doing so. Many of those buying the cheaper season tickets wouldn't be paying full price at the gate as they do now so much less money coming in

It would be good for the club if we could have cheaper season tickets and therefore higher attendances but the finances wouldn't work out in a smaller town such as ourselves, unfortunately.

not stating we should sell them at bradford prices just using it as an example, I for one carnt afford season tickets but if they were within a reasonable price range that is affordable then I think you would most definitely see more people jump at the chance.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 1:30pm; Reply: 123
Quoted from ginnywings

I respect your opinion, but don't expect myself or others to agree with it.

Well judging by the ticks, and some of the comments, some do agree with it.

But in any event, I thank you for respecting my opinion. I also respect your right to have an opinion. But please be assured that this aint no blossoming bromance  :)

Posted by: buckstown, January 11, 2018, 2:48pm; Reply: 124
The challenge on the season ticket discount issue is that you need a product that people are considering buying. The discount is the thing that helps the decision making process
At the moment we could half season tickets for £50 each but the product isn't good enough to tempt people. "oh I was thinking of playing golf on Saturday, but I'll go to BP now and watch Town not score again". Mmmmm
Posted by: malkamalka, January 11, 2018, 4:52pm; Reply: 125
Number three in your post isn't possible, since it isn't an amount that has been paid, it is just a guarantee he has committed to, that he has offered to the clubs bank.

So essentially, a new owner would have to prove to the bank, that they have the assets or liquid cash amounting to £325,000 in security, should it be ever needed.

OK then so he puts 325 grand into the clubs bank account and leaves instruction that it's to be used as a guarantee!

Jeez, don't be so officious! This is a football club supporters forum, not a Business Breakfast!
Posted by: pen penfras, January 11, 2018, 5:45pm; Reply: 126
Quoted from Bigdog

Amazing.. Our average attendance was 5400 last season and it looks like we are going to be down to 50% of that on Saturday. That's in six months! Of the remaining 2700 or so, I'd say a good 50% are truly cheesed off and disenfranchised as well. So we are not talking about a polarised few or a vocal minority. We are talking about the vast majority, especially when you add in the fans that have given up and haven't been for a good while. So calling comments on here a polarised view from the board is true, but it's the fans that are being polarised by the actions and views of the board. The disgruntled, disenfranchised fan is the majority view and it is the board that have polarised themselves from the consensus.

What has struck me though is the way that fans have decided to stay away. It's not been a mass protest, it's not been a call to arms, it's not been banners, it's been private family decisions in twos or threes, and many are current season ticket holders. GTFC fans aren't stupid as some would like to portray, they know what is at stake and are still voting with their feet. It's a serious situation that the board or the inner circle are failing to grasp by continuing to prod away at the remaining diehards. As someone else has said, the board has completely lost the trust of the fans and I don't think it will get it back unless there is a radical overhaul..

Our average attendance was 5259 on the back of success on the pitch. After a successful season, it's normal to have an increase in support the following year. At the end of the season the attendances dropped down to the low to mid 4000s when we weren't doing so well. Your implication is that fans are staying away because of their dislike for JF and the board. But in reality, it's the poor form and dire performances. If we win the next 3 games then fans will start coming back.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 11, 2018, 5:55pm; Reply: 127
Quoted from pen penfras

Our average attendance was 5259 on the back of success on the pitch. After a successful season, it's normal to have an increase in support the following year. At the end of the season the attendances dropped down to the low to mid 4000s when we weren't doing so well. Your implication is that fans are staying away because of their dislike for JF and the board. But in reality, it's the poor form and dire performances. If we win the next 3 games then fans will start coming back.

Doesn't matter as there is zero chance we will win the next three games.
Posted by: ginnywings, January 11, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner

Win 2, draw 1?
Posted by: pen penfras, January 11, 2018, 6:14pm; Reply: 129

That's not the point though. The fans turn up based on performances on the pitch far more than anything else. It's a tiny minority that stay away for other reasons.

Posted by: Bigdog, January 11, 2018, 6:26pm; Reply: 130
Quoted from pen penfras

Quoting my post exactly, I said.. "but it's the fans that are being polarised by the actions and views of the board," ie keeping Slade on, Fan's Forum, Bragate, Vile, Bullies, Matt Dean, etc..

And here we go, the old "we do our PR on the pitch" message in a different form. If you don't think there's deeper problems than solely what happens on the pitch, you're kidding yourself.. There's a massive loss of trust and faith to consider..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2018, 6:35pm; Reply: 131
Quoted from pen penfras

That's not the point though. The fans turn up based on performances on the pitch far more than anything else. It's a tiny minority that stay away for other reasons.

Don't think it was a 'tiny minority' that stayed away from Chuckatrade?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2018, 6:41pm; Reply: 132
Quoted from pen penfras

Said it before, I know loads of people who refuse to walk through the gates at BP because they don't want to prop up your regime. This is the problem that you are failing to get your heads around - your decisions have alienated hundreds if not thousands of Town fans.
Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 6:54pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from pen penfras

I think theres a bit more too it than that, I for one and I know plenty of others that won't be coming back if we win the next three games. Its a stand we all have to take together, either in or out!
Posted by: pen penfras, January 11, 2018, 6:55pm; Reply: 134
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Said it before, I know loads of people who refuse to walk through the gates at BP because they don't want to prop up your regime. This is the problem that you are failing to get your heads around - your decisions have alienated hundreds if not thousands of Town fans.

Who do you think I am saying "your decisions?" I'm not associated with the club in any way, I don't even live anywhere near Grimsby anymore. I know you're struggling to get your head around it, but not all people share the opinion that the "regime" must go. It's a bit pathetic to be calling me Steve, a Fenty stooge and saying I've been sent here to beat the drum. I only posted because I'm sick of reading the pathetic, narrow minded views I read on here daily and wanted to add some balance to the problem.

Unfortunately, as humans, we don't tend to say much when we feel happy or indifferent about a situation. It's when we're unhappy when we take to complaining and stating how we feel, which is partly why people feel there is a large contingent agreeing with their position on here and other media forms. We're all unhappy with what's going on on the pitch, but I haven't heard a majority of supporters I know being dead against the regime. The ones that are, were always the most fickle and we used to ignore them, now they go on social media and feel galvanised that they're not the only ones, so spout it more.
Posted by: Swansea_Mariner, January 11, 2018, 7:20pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from pen penfras

Who do you think I am saying "your decisions?" I'm not associated with the club in any way, I don't even live anywhere near Grimsby anymore. I know you're struggling to get your head around it, but not all people share the opinion that the "regime" must go. It's a bit pathetic to be calling me Steve, a Fenty stooge and saying I've been sent here to beat the drum. I only posted because I'm sick of reading the pathetic, narrow minded views I read on here daily and wanted to add some balance to the problem.

Unfortunately, as humans, we don't tend to say much when we feel happy or indifferent about a situation. It's when we're unhappy when we take to complaining and stating how we feel, which is partly why people feel there is a large contingent agreeing with their position on here and other media forms. We're all unhappy with what's going on on the pitch, but I haven't heard a majority of supporters I know being dead against the regime. The ones that are, were always the most fickle and we used to ignore them, now they go on social media and feel galvanised that they're not the only ones, so spout it more.

So if I flip the question around perhaps you could tell me what positive things the present "regime" have done in the last decade that has earned your support. Perhaps  you can convince me.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 11, 2018, 7:24pm; Reply: 136
Quoted from pen penfras

Well, if you don't live round here, I don't think you are qualified to comment on the increasing discontent towards the board. I take it you also approve of the board's stance on Checkatrade, Matt Dean, 'Bragate' etc etc
Posted by: Badger57, January 11, 2018, 7:25pm; Reply: 137

So if I flip the question around perhaps you could tell me what positive things the present "regime" have done in the last decade that has earned your support. Perhaps  you can convince me.

I was going to get the popcorn but then I thought, "Nah, this won't take long."
Posted by: OneLove, January 11, 2018, 7:26pm; Reply: 138

id like to know this too!
Posted by: rancido, January 11, 2018, 7:26pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from LH

So if you sell your house then you only want what you paid for it? My parents bought their house in 1932 for £350 but when the estate was wound up in 1989 the property was worth £30,000. Should the Administrators of the will sold the property for £350 or £30,000 ?
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 11, 2018, 7:29pm; Reply: 140
The gates drop to 3k . The manager gets support . What happens ? Let's turn it on the moaning few on the fishy .... you must be bothered about the situation or you wouldn't be wasting your precious time on a forum trying to balance the view point .  2.7 k on Sat ......
Posted by: arryarryarry, January 11, 2018, 8:05pm; Reply: 141
Quoted from pen penfras

Living away I assume you don't go to many games then.Considering the reaction at the end of recent games I don't think there are many Town fans happy with those who are currently running the club, board or manager.

Also considering the way this club has been run for the past 10 years or more, the relegation out of the Football League, the 6 long years to get back in, the absolute dross we have had to put up with at places like Chasetown etc is it any wonder the fans are unhappy.

Also considering the turnover of managers it is clear that the  board haven't been happy with the performances of certain managers so surely the fans have every right to be unhappy with the board.
Posted by: 139914 (Guest), January 11, 2018, 8:23pm; Reply: 142
Shouldn’t this thread be titled ‘My cocks bigger than yours?’  If I was of a cynical nature I’d suggest that the non chairman has rustled up a bunch of patronising no marks, to try and counter allegations of mismanagement and megalomania.  Whatever the case, the veneer has well and truly cracked and the chipboard underneath exposed.
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 11, 2018, 8:38pm; Reply: 143
It reminds me of Maggie when she was trying to cling on to power in the early 90s
Posted by: Stadium, January 11, 2018, 9:07pm; Reply: 144
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Really necessary??
Posted by: Bigdog, January 11, 2018, 9:13pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm 48 years in supporting the Mariners, but no longer support the current regime, and by doing so, I'm fickle?..  Strong argument that. There's plenty more on here, other platforms, friends I know etc are even more time served than me and they're on the edge of giving up or have already done so.. How come the people not wanting change somehow try to grab the moral high ground?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 11, 2018, 9:17pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm 48 years in supporting the Mariners, but no longer support the current regime, and by doing so, I'm fickle..  Strong argument that. There's plenty more on here, other platforms, friends I know etc are even more time served than me and they're on the edge of giving up or have already done so.. How come the people not wanting change somehow try to grab the moral high ground?

Similar timescale to you supporting town and only recently I've started to do overtime and missing the odd match something I've never done before , the product is dog shitt
Posted by: Cambs Mariner, January 11, 2018, 9:53pm; Reply: 147
Quoted from dapperz fun pub

Similar timescale to you supporting town and only recently I've started to do overtime and missing the odd match something I've never done before , the product is dog shitt

Same as me. 1970, Bobby Kennedy Player- Manager. We lost but I was hooked and have been ever since until last year when Mr Fenty appointed Mr Slade again. At the time of his appointment I tried to understand the reasoning behind it. Why would Mr Fenty appoint a manager who has never won anything, a manager who had been dismissed by 3 clubs in the space of a year, a manager who Mr Fenty must have known would have split the fan base down the middle because of the what happened before the play offs at Cardiff.
I couldn't and still can't understand the logic behind it all. All I knew was that the football would be rubbish and if we weren't careful we would be playing the likes of Eastleigh again. I am out.
Posted by: easypeersy, January 12, 2018, 8:18am; Reply: 148
The fans who decide not to turn up and support the team each match are just contributing to the demise of our football club!
Whether you like or dislike the manager and/or board, you should still support the team and not boo them on the pitch.
So all you people who have walked away or still go and boo!
Shame on you!
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 12, 2018, 8:32am; Reply: 149
Quoted from Stadium

Really necessary??

Light hearted banter now banned?
Posted by: dapperz fun pub, January 12, 2018, 9:08am; Reply: 150
Quoted from easypeersy
The fans who decide not to turn up and support the team each match are just contributing to the demise of our football club!
Whether you like or dislike the manager and/or board, you should still support the team and not boo them on the pitch.
So all you people who have walked away or still go and boo!
Shame on you!

I've supported the team pretty much all through the fenty era unless working away got in the way , but after 15 years of tosh and please don't count anything in non league success I've come to realise without new leadership our club is going back to non league. I'll never stop going completely because I couldn't but without real change throughout the club because it's all stale we are doomed.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 12, 2018, 9:41am; Reply: 151
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Well, if you don't live round here, I don't think you are qualified to comment on the increasing discontent towards the board. I take it you also approve of the board's stance on Checkatrade, Matt Dean, 'Bragate' etc etc

A fair few of the most negative posters on here are exiles and don't go to many games, so I guess they should stop commenting too? Or is it only people that don't share your view who should keep quiet?
Posted by: pen penfras, January 12, 2018, 9:47am; Reply: 152

Saved the club from administration and folding.
5 trips to Wembley/Millenium stadium.
Beating Newcastle in the cup.

I'd rather have had the highs of Wembley and the playoffs than clinging on to 21st in the championship for 15 years, not that that was ever realistically going to happen. I doubt our average attendance would be any higher than this season if that's what we'd done. Yes, there's been bad times too, but the highs and lows are what we love about the game. There's been enough good times that I'm willing to wait out the current bad patch after a period of instability and see what happens.
Posted by: pen penfras, January 12, 2018, 9:58am; Reply: 153
Quoted from Bigdog

I'm 48 years in supporting the Mariners, but no longer support the current regime, and by doing so, I'm fickle?..  Strong argument that. There's plenty more on here, other platforms, friends I know etc are even more time served than me and they're on the edge of giving up or have already done so.. How come the people not wanting change somehow try to grab the moral high ground?

I'm not accusing anybody in particular of being fickle, other than my mates. But you can hardly think that this board doesn't represent a very fickle view.

Paul Hurst was an idiot, holding the club back and needed to go. A portion of idiots did everything they could to try and drive him out of the club. He moves on to a new club and glad to be rid of him. 12 months later the board are idiots for not doing everything they could to keep the best manager we've had since Buckley.

Bignot was a complete disaster and driving the club to non league, had to go. Now the board didn't give him enough time to impart his philosophy on the club.

These views are partly from different people, but there's a portion of fans who have played both sides of those arguments. It's why I truly believe nothing the club do can be considered right at the moment, because people just want to beat them with anything they can
Posted by: Lincoln Mariner 56, January 12, 2018, 10:14am; Reply: 154
Quoted from pen penfras

Saved the club from administration and folding.
5 trips to Wembley/Millenium stadium.
Beating Newcastle in the cup.

I'd rather have had the highs of Wembley and the playoffs than clinging on to 21st in the championship for 15 years, not that that was ever realistically going to happen. I doubt our average attendance would be any higher than this season if that's what we'd done that. Yes, there's been bad times too, but the highs and lows are what we love about the game. There's been enough good times that I'm willing to wait out the current bad patch after a period of instability and see what happens.

Small correction we beat Tottenham in the cup and lost to Newcastle. I think most fans accept there are and will always be good and bad times for your club, especially small ones like GTFC. During these periods attendances will ebb and flow but depending on performance style, level of commitment, ethos of the club etc but importantly hope and anticipation. Attendances are likely to be maintained when these are seen as positives, for example, during the conference era performances were not great but after the first couple of seasons you never doubted the commitment of the majority of the players and those without that commitment were soon banished.

We now have a poor team, poor playing style, sterile atmosphere at home games and a massive disparity between the club and fans and whilst we all maintain our support and love of the club actually attending matches has become an inceasingly poor way of spending your Saturday. I have a season ticket but like many others will not be going tomorrow nor will my son, when you live away from the area you maybe do not have to make these decisions quite so often although some fans travel great distances still to support the club. I will attend the Luton game but if we are no better than the majority of our other home performances I will limit future attendances to the odd game.

What has disappeared for me is that sense of hope & anticipation which mainly stems out of the really poor signings RS made in the summer. All managers make signings that dont work out the good one s soon realise this & move them out. If RS released Kelly, Dixon, Woolford and Hooper this month by way of a pay off he would earn a lot more respect from me and just maybe some of that hope would return. Are the 2000 plus fans that have stopped coming all wrong whilst RS and Wilko are correct about these players? I dont think so.

If Russ is to get any level of support back he must make these tough decisions and we may get more buy in from the supporters. Lincoln have just added Frecklington to a midfield that already has Bostwick and Woodyard, a midfield that will dominate games and win matches, Lincoln has hope and anticipation we have drudgery and the cold east wind blowing in the Upper Findus, enough said!!
Posted by: headingly_mariner, January 12, 2018, 12:14pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not accusing anybody in particular of being fickle, other than my mates. But you can hardly think that this board doesn't represent a very fickle view.

Paul Hurst was an idiot, holding the club back and needed to go. A portion of idiots did everything they could to try and drive him out of the club. He moves on to a new club and glad to be rid of him. 12 months later the board are idiots for not doing everything they could to keep the best manager we've had since Buckley.

Bignot was a complete disaster and driving the club to non league, had to go. Now the board didn't give him enough time to impart his philosophy on the club.

These views are partly from different people, but there's a portion of fans who have played both sides of those arguments. It's why I truly believe nothing the club do can be considered right at the moment, because people just want to beat them with anything they can

I think you are grouping everybody on the fishy as having the same opinions about Hurst and the way the club has been run.

I remember having balanced discussions with people on here about Hurst, some thought he should go and others did not. You will be able to find posts from myself suggesting that  Hurst was an excellent young manager learning his trade with us and that I expected him to manage at the top level. Others completely disagreed with this and we can't be right all the time.
I have had a season ticket throughout the non league years and have one now like many others who are unhappy with the ownership, am I fickle for being unhappy with the way the club is run?
Posted by: RexFannies, January 13, 2018, 1:08am; Reply: 156
This is like a marriage when they stay together for the sake of the kids (GTFC Being the kid).

The sooner they realize that the kid would be better off without its feuding parents the better.

One side wins..gets the house, the car and the dog the other will meet someone else who will keep them in the manor they have been accustomed to.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2018, 9:00am; Reply: 157
Quoted from pen penfras

A fair few of the most negative posters on here are exiles and don't go to many games, so I guess they should stop commenting too? Or is it only people that don't share your view who should keep quiet?

This label gets my goat a little bit. Negative is just the wrong word to use. Critical is more accurate, critical of the status quo bound up in a huge level of frustration. It's another question altogether what negative is. Is negative wanting our club to be better and highlighting the deficiences hoping the message hits home? Is negative not believing things can change and things are ok as they are? Probably neither. Critical and non-critical are probably better labels to use if a label is needed at all for a personal viewpoint. On my part, I certainly don't feel negative when I'm posting criticisms of the regime or the current manager, I feel positive, as I can picture a better GTFC. If the powers that be can take those criticisms on board and actually deal with them, and problem solve rather than just dismissing them out of hand as negative posts, then I think the club could be in a much better place than it is now..
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2018, 9:44am; Reply: 158
Quoted from pen penfras

My first post on here was in February of the promotion season. It was prompted by being frustrated in Hurst's insistence of playing Disley and Nolan in a midfield two and playing Monkhouse, instead of putting Clay in there. Let's face it, the performances and results were hardly that of a promotion team in those two or three months. It seemed like Hurst had run out of ideas until that fateful injury. I'm sure Hurst learned a lot on that day in Braintree too. The rest they say is history. I now have less reservations about Hurst's ability and my perspective of him has changed. He has blossomed in a new working environment and it begs the new question, was he being held back at GTFC? We can never know for sure, but time and events can temper a view or even change an opinion. To call someone an idiot for changing their mind when the evidence changes is a bit off isn't it? Surely the idiot is the one who doesn't change his mind when evidence points to the contrary..
Posted by: RoboCod, January 13, 2018, 9:46am; Reply: 159
My poster-status stays in line with the teams goal difference.

Right now I'm rather negative ::)
Posted by: pen penfras, January 13, 2018, 10:40am; Reply: 160
Quoted from Bigdog

My first post on here was in February of the promotion season. It was prompted by being frustrated in Hurst's insistence of playing Disley and Nolan in a midfield two and playing Monkhouse, instead of putting Clay in there. Let's face it, the performances and results were hardly that of a promotion team in those two or three months. It seemed like Hurst had run out of ideas until that fateful injury. I'm sure Hurst learned a lot on that day in Braintree too. The rest they say is history. I now have less reservations about Hurst's ability and my perspective of him has changed. He has blossomed in a new working environment and it begs the new question, was he being held back at GTFC? We can never know for sure, but time and events can temper a view or even change an opinion. To call someone an idiot for changing their mind when the evidence changes is a bit off isn't it? Surely the idiot is the one who doesn't change his mind when evidence points to the contrary..

I'm not calling people idiots for changing their mind, I'm calling the people who hung a "Hurst out" banner over the M180 and the like idiots. My point about the mind changing is more about how the club can't win. They get beaten on for sticking with a manager that ultimately got us promoted and now get beaten on for letting him go.

This is my point about negativity. It's goes beyond critical when everything is criticised by the same people whatever the decision.
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2018, 11:22am; Reply: 161
Quoted from pen penfras

I'm not calling people idiots for changing their mind, I'm calling the people who hung a "Hurst out" banner over the M180 and the like idiots. My point about the mind changing is more about how the club can't win. They get beaten on for sticking with a manager that ultimately got us promoted and now get beaten on for letting him go.

This is my point about negativity. It's goes beyond critical when everything is criticised by the same people whatever the decision.

I'll agree with you about fans using hindsight to criticise the club regarding Hurst.

The problem is that you're using a very unique example and trying to lump everything else into the "club can't win whatever it does" pot  There's a litany of mistakes and failures that the club have made that could have easily been avoided with a bit of common sense or if it had the mindset, skills, or ability to address them properly..

The one person the club can't afford to kid or dismiss is the paying customer and especially the customer who has decided to stop paying..

It's delusional to offer more of the same, refuse help that is offered, and plough on with a very narrow entrenched bunker mentality mindset..
Posted by: bluebottle, January 13, 2018, 11:30am; Reply: 162
Pen penfras. Or translated " head cod " you are not our old friend John Fenty are you.
Posted by: fleabag1970, January 13, 2018, 11:31am; Reply: 163
2700 today if you are lucky .. . Too late to start slagging off a tiny minority of fans for past indiscretions . The club's failure to learn from past mistakes is going to cost the club again . This time the fans are going too leave you to it though ... even charging 5 quid a game isn't gonna save you this time .
Posted by: Bigdog, January 13, 2018, 11:36am; Reply: 164
Quoted from fleabag1970
2700 today if you are lucky .. . Too late to start slagging off a tiny minority of fans for past indiscretions . The club's failure to learn from past mistakes is going to cost the club again . This time the fans are going too leave you to it though ... even charging 5 quid a game isn't gonna save you this time .

Free tickets to schools should get it over 3k today..
Posted by: MuddyWaters, January 13, 2018, 12:41pm; Reply: 165
Quoted from Bigdog

Free tickets to schools should get it over 3k today..

What? They get a free GTFC ticket if they're badly behaved?
Posted by: grimsby pete, January 13, 2018, 12:55pm; Reply: 166
Quoted from OneLove

Ascend can spell.
Posted by: TAGG, January 13, 2018, 12:59pm; Reply: 167
Quoted from bluebottle
Pen penfras. Or translated " head cod " you are not our old friend John Fenty are you.

More like Mrs Fenty 👍
Print page generated: March 28, 2024, 11:06am