Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I'll make that judgement when I watch him play

UTM

Who's making a judgement? Certainly not me. Never heard of the guy, so i'm not going to judge his ability unseen.

I was hoping for a striker to give us and the squad a boost. Forgive me for being disappointed with a utility defender on a months loan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 112
grimsby pete
September 18, 2014, 6:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
We have missed Boyce,

Hurst said we will not be getting him back,

So this is a good signing imo,

We are still after a couple of strikers,

I have said Hurst is not perfect but give the guy a break,

He gets called if he does not sign a player yet gets called when he does.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 112
mariner tommy
September 18, 2014, 6:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12
Hurst isn't stupid, he knows what he is doing.
The chances are that this loan signing is costing us next to nothing.
He obviously wants some extra cover with Thomas out, he clearly is not keen on Bignot, and doesn't want to trust the inexperience of the youngsters.
Now I know someone is going to say we need to try the younger ones but Hurst clearly is not going to.
I think he will send them out on loan first.
So, if we use Parslow once and he does well then it's been worth it.
And by signing him on loan it also means that Toto, Pearson and Magnay can play in their favoured positions with Parslow at right back.
And we've got Doig on the bench as a reserve centre half.
Also take into account that the yellow card situation is building up already.

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 112
jimgtfc
September 18, 2014, 6:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,084
Gold Stars: 44

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 112
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 18, 2014, 6:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner tommy
Hurst isn't stupid, he knows what he is doing.
The chances are that this loan signing is costing us next to nothing.
He obviously wants some extra cover with Thomas out, he clearly is not keen on Bignot, and doesn't want to trust the inexperience of the youngsters.
Now I know someone is going to say we need to try the younger ones but Hurst clearly is not going to.
I think he will send them out on loan first.
So, if we use Parslow once and he does well then it's been worth it.
And by signing him on loan it also means that Toto, Pearson and Magnay can play in their favoured positions with Parslow at right back.
And we've got Doig on the bench as a reserve centre half.
Also take into account that the yellow card situation is building up already.

UTM

Missing the point Tommy. We all know he wanted some cover for injuries at the back - the question is why does he need to go and use this loan at this stage of the season? If the youngsters are inexperienced how on earth are they going to get experience if he doesn't play them? If he knows they are not good enough from what he has seen then why not release them and save money? Seems a silly waste of time to just hang on to them until the end of the season so they can go and join Boston.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 112
Stew0_0
September 18, 2014, 6:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,200
Gold Stars: 35
Think this signing makes sense. Not sure if bignot injured or deemed not good enough, and to be honest he isnt. Think parslow will come in at right back, allowing toto to move back inside.
really hoping also that he is magnay mark 2.
I think this guy has suddenly become available and is someone hurst has had his eye on for a while so jumped at the chance to get him. Do feel sorry for walker though.
obviously it is easier to sign a defender rather than a quality striker but theres still time and im sure we will get someone in before the weekend. Utm
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 112
mariner tommy
September 18, 2014, 7:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.18
Rep Score: +12 / -5
Approval: +1,870
Gold Stars: 12

Missing the point Tommy. We all know he wanted some cover for injuries at the back - the question is why does he need to go and use this loan at this stage of the season? If the youngsters are inexperienced how on earth are they going to get experience if he doesn't play them? If he knows they are not good enough from what he has seen then why not release them and save money? Seems a silly waste of time to just hang on to them until the end of the season so they can go and join Boston.

I know what you mean, that's why I would think he would send them out on loan.
He clearly thinks there is potential there, but not without a bit more experience gained elsewhere.
And I can see his reasoning behind it, I think !

UTM

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its students."  ..Hector Berlioz, 1856.
                                   “I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"  ...Voltaire, 1694-1778

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 112
KK_DOG
September 18, 2014, 7:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +472
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm guessing he'll play at right back. Nsiala's not a right back and Bignot's rubbish. This signing makes sense whilst Thomas is injured. I can't comment about Walker because I've hardly seen him play.

The whole 'wtf we need a striker!!!!!!!!!!!!11111' thing's ridiculous - I'm sure football managers can attempt to sign 2 different players at the same time.

Absolutely spot on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 112
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
September 18, 2014, 7:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from mariner tommy

I know what you mean, that's why I would think he would send them out on loan.
He clearly thinks there is potential there, but not without a bit more experience gained elsewhere.
And I can see his reasoning behind it, I think !

UTM

Still seems daft though Tom.

Tony Ford was 16 when he first played in the first team, Kevin Moore 18, Kevin Drinkell 17, Ryan Bennett 17 ......... plenty of other examples from days when the game was a lot rougher and we were playing at a higher level. If these kids are good enough they should play. If not, release them altogether and free up the cash. We shouldn't need to be pratting about with a months loan for cover.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 112
moosey_club
September 18, 2014, 7:24pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,239
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from fiveallive
In pre season PH said he had no problem putting Paul Walker in the team and that he's ready.

also said he was happy with the defensive side of his squad when it reached 8 of them........fast forward 6 weeks and we are welcoming a second loan defender already.....

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLW
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dan Parslow signs on loan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.