Print Topic - Archive

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 1:44pm
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/11482204.York_City_defender_Dan_Parslow_loaned_to_Grimsby/
Posted by: RoboCod, September 18, 2014, 1:48pm; Reply: 1
Wh...wha...WHO ?

EDIT: Ok, he's been at York all his career, I don't know anything of him other than he's a defender.....back to Striker Watch....
Posted by: StickfordMariner, September 18, 2014, 1:49pm; Reply: 2
so much for a striker then
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 1:51pm; Reply: 3
Feel for Walker and Winfarrah a bit. Obviously doesn't trust them just yet.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 1:52pm; Reply: 4
From a York fan:

Danny P is your 100% effort man. Makes the odd clanger but he'll do a job. Hes played left, right and centre back for us as well as holding midfielder.

He'd probably play upfront if you asked him but he wouldnt be very good.
Posted by: fiveallive, September 18, 2014, 1:53pm; Reply: 5
A utility player comfortable at playing centre back, Left Back, Right Back and holding midfielder. A decent signing strengths the team at the back. I would play him at RB, Magnay LB, Nsiala and Pearson at CB.

How many players now have we got or had from the 2012 York team.
Posted by: RoboCod, September 18, 2014, 1:54pm; Reply: 6
He'd probably play upfront if you asked him but he wouldnt be very good.

Awaits obvious witty avalanche of jokes from the jolly Fishy bunch  8)
Posted by: fiveallive, September 18, 2014, 1:56pm; Reply: 7
He knows a few lads so should settle in quite nicely.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 8
A limited, steady eddy utility defender who makes the occasional howler but tries 100% seems to be the message:

http://forums.footballwebpages.co.uk/forum.jsp?id=228&article=698601
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 9
Strikers, please, not defenders!
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 2:02pm; Reply: 10
Quoted from fiveallive

How many players now have we got or had from the 2012 York team.

McLaughlin
Brown
Doig
Parslow

Fyfield
Kerr
Posted by: maxfox44, September 18, 2014, 2:03pm; Reply: 11
and Lincoln have lined up a young centre half from a prem club.
Posted by: acko338, September 18, 2014, 2:06pm; Reply: 12
Top scorer from corners & set plays by the end of October ???

Come on Browny, on me 'ed, son !!
Posted by: denni266, September 18, 2014, 2:15pm; Reply: 13
Can see why he got a left side full back in..we neec toto back in the middle and magnay at right back.. but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, where is this bloody striker we need  ,   can you get anything in the right order  ??????
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 18, 2014, 2:28pm; Reply: 14
so we were after 2 strikers and we end up with a defender...

you just cant make this up.
Posted by: psgmariner, September 18, 2014, 2:31pm; Reply: 15

From Wiki:

Personal life[edit]

Parslow is due to get married during the summer of 2014.[70]

Perhaps this loan spell is his honeymoon. Couple of weeks on the fitties in a caravan.
Posted by: acko338, September 18, 2014, 2:40pm; Reply: 16
To be fair, the defense has leaked some goals recently, and if we need to score three or four in games to win, surely it's easier to just get one ourselves if we keep a clean sheet?

Toto has been shaky in that role, positioning and passing wise, and only his pace has kept some of the chances down - a couple of poor bits of play have led to recent goals, so this short loan is a fair way of stopping a run of opponent goals if he can settle in quickly and stay un-injured.

This could help results wise until a striker or two jump out of the woodwork for Hurst !
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 18, 2014, 2:40pm; Reply: 17
Rearrange the following word to make an appropriate sentence.......

Paul lost plot Hurst has the
Posted by: 137 (Guest), September 18, 2014, 2:45pm; Reply: 18
We've been here before. Award professional contracts to promising youngsters - then dip into the loan market at the
first sign of need. Can't say this makes a lot of sense to me.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, September 18, 2014, 2:46pm; Reply: 19
I actually think this is a sensible move. Aswad won't be back for a week or two and we have no natural sided left back available. Let's toto play in is more solid position on cb. The only reason people are baffled by signing a defender is because we need a striker but that doesn't mean we don't need strengthening in other areas too. But can we have at least one more striker before the wkd please mr hurst?
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 18, 2014, 2:48pm; Reply: 20
I actually think this is a sensible move. Aswad won't be back for a week or two and we have no natural sided left back available. Let's toto play in is more solid position on cb. The only reason people are baffled by signing a defender is because we need a striker but that doesn't mean we don't need strengthening in other areas too. But can we have at least one more striker before the wkd please mr hurst?

so why waste a wage on winfarrah and walker if he was never going to give them their chance..

its a ridicoulous move and no matter how some on here try to justify we need a defender, we simply don't.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 2:52pm; Reply: 21
I'm guessing he'll play at right back. Nsiala's not a right back and Bignot's rubbish. This signing makes sense whilst Thomas is injured. I can't comment about Walker because I've hardly seen him play.

The whole 'wtf we need a striker!!!!!!!!!!!!11111' thing's ridiculous - I'm sure football managers can attempt to sign 2 different players at the same time.
Posted by: GrimRob, September 18, 2014, 3:08pm; Reply: 22
Interesting comments on him here from York fans:

http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/10403356.Dan_Parslow_signs_new_York_City_deal/#comments
Posted by: ackomariner, September 18, 2014, 3:09pm; Reply: 23
Thought there might have been a player coming in today because went down cheapside earlier and past the training ground and there were a few people about with a camera set up on a tripod....didn't think it would be a defender though  :(
Posted by: horsforthmariner, September 18, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 24
I think this is a good move from Hurst, Toto isn't a full back and it did cause us a problem against Halifax. With Aswad out it makes sense to plug this hole. Yes we all want a striker but that doesn't mean we can't sort out other problems at the same time.
Posted by: kingster72, September 18, 2014, 3:21pm; Reply: 25
Hey Lord Fenty, this signing has made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  WTF!  Clueless Hurst at it again, when has Walker, or Winfarrah ever let us down?
Posted by: Tom13, September 18, 2014, 3:39pm; Reply: 26
Quoted from Abdul19
I'm guessing he'll play at right back. Nsiala's not a right back and Bignot's rubbish. This signing makes sense whilst Thomas is injured. I can't comment about Walker because I've hardly seen him play.

The whole 'wtf we need a striker!!!!!!!!!!!!11111' thing's ridiculous - I'm sure football managers can attempt to sign 2 different players at the same time.

100% agree.
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2014, 3:40pm; Reply: 27
Quoted from kingster72
Hey Lord Fenty, this signing has made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.  WTF!  Clueless Hurst at it again, when has Walker, or Winfarrah ever let us down?

Winfarrah has played less than 2 hours of Conference football. Walker has played a little over 2 hours of Conference football. Neither of these youngsters has played enough to prove themselves as yet. Each has made a number of appearances in the Trophy, but generally against lower-division teams. I'd imagine Hurst just doesn't think they are quite ready for a first team start just yet though I thought Winfarrah did reasonably well in his early season outing.

If Parslow is going to come in to play at right-back, it really does call into question the future of Bignot at the club.
Posted by: brad_gtfc, September 18, 2014, 3:45pm; Reply: 28
We've conceded poor goals since Boyce went back so for me this is a good signing, on paper.
Now just a striker please Mr.Hurst.
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2014, 3:49pm; Reply: 29
Checking through the player information on the OS, I wonder whether we've thought about playing Walker at centre-half? According to the stats on there, he's over 5 metres tall so I'd imagine he would be able sort out any aerial weakness in the defence. Only problem is that he might need to get down on his hands and knees to be able to get low enough to head the ball.  ;)

http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/team/player-profile/paul-walker/24
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 18, 2014, 3:57pm; Reply: 30
Dan Parslow HAS NOT PLAYED A COMPETITIVE GAME SINCE THE LAST GAME OF LAST SEASON so can not see him being match fit. Would rather give Walker a chance or  even play Bignot !
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 18, 2014, 3:58pm; Reply: 31
For all those convincing themselves we needed this signing we didn't and i have put a few different defences together to show on paper this is a bizarre signing..

well we have magnay
                     pearson
                     nsiala
                     winfarrah

or                walker
                   pearson
                   nsiala
                   magany

or               nsiala
                  pearson
                  doig
                  magnay

or              bignot
                 pearson
                 nsiala
                 magnay

or             walker
                doig
                pearson
                magnay

these are just a few combinations to show we didn't need a defender in the slightest and i appreciate a few of you will like to justify pauls decision because you like to stick by a slightly sinking ship but if you asked yourself seriously "did we need a defender" the serious answer is NO.

it truly is maybe pauls most desperate silly signing he has made to date.

Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 4:09pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Maringer

Winfarrah has played less than 2 hours of Conference football. Walker has played a little over 2 hours of Conference football. Neither of these youngsters has played enough to prove themselves as yet. Each has made a number of appearances in the Trophy, but generally against lower-division teams. I'd imagine Hurst just doesn't think they are quite ready for a first team start just yet though I thought Winfarrah did reasonably well in his early season outing.

If Parslow is going to come in to play at right-back, it really does call into question the future of Bignot at the club.

Doesn't look as though either Winfarrah or Walker is likely to reach the 3 hour mark any time soon does it? Brings into question what the point is of keeping young players when we just end up sending them out on loan and then releasing them at the end of the season, prime example being Southwell. Either the lads are good enough to fill in a vacancy in the first team or they aren't. Seems utterly pointless.

Posted by: brad_gtfc, September 18, 2014, 4:11pm; Reply: 33
Retracting my earlier comment here, abit.
Hurst sees alot more of Walker and Winfarrah in training than we do, so if he doesn't think they're ready then I will back him. But then it does beg the question if they're not ready, why are they on the books? As much as I want to see young lads come through and do well we are not position to carry players on contracts for the sake of things. The fact this lad hasn't played for a while does worry me a little. The defence definitely needs addressing, as for people complaining it's not a striker, I'm sure we can target players in different positions at the same time.
Posted by: fiveallive, September 18, 2014, 4:13pm; Reply: 34
In pre season PH said he had no problem putting Paul Walker in the team and that he's ready.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 4:18pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from brad_gtfc
Retracting my earlier comment here, abit.
Hurst sees alot more of Walker and Winfarrah in training than we do, so if he doesn't think they're ready then I will back him. But then it does beg the question if they're not ready, why are they on the books? As much as I want to see young lads come through and do well we are not position to carry players on contracts for the sake of things. The fact this lad hasn't played for a while does worry me a little. The defence definitely needs addressing, as for people complaining it's not a striker, I'm sure we can target players in different positions at the same time.

I'm sure you are right Brad, PH does see the lads in training. He saw them in training last year and pre-season so he knows them well enough. I would definitely question why we are keeping young lads on at BP where they are never going to get a chance instead of letting them go somewhere else where a manager might have more faith in them. As for this bloke from York, is he going to be fit enough to last a full game if he hasn't played in the first team since last season? It all makes you wonder what on earth is going on.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 4:20pm; Reply: 36
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Dan Parslow HAS NOT PLAYED A COMPETITIVE GAME SINCE THE LAST GAME OF LAST SEASON so can not see him being match fit. Would rather give Walker a chance...

How many competitive games has Walker played since the last game of last season?
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 18, 2014, 4:28pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from Abdul19

How many competitive games has Walker played since the last game of last season?

Never said Walker was match fit, just that I would give him a chance. How is he going to prove himself good enough unless he is given match time? If he plays and is not up to it then take a risk with a loan player (nothing against Parslow), but not before.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 4:30pm; Reply: 38
PH sees him every day.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, September 18, 2014, 4:33pm; Reply: 39
Quoted from Abdul19
PH sees him every day.

But not in a match situation, how many times has he seen Parslow train or play?
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 4:35pm; Reply: 40
Must be loads, given the amount of times he's obviously watched York!
Posted by: The Yard Dog, September 18, 2014, 4:48pm; Reply: 41
How many yellow cards are Pearson and Toto this season? Toto is on 4 and Pearson on 3
Brown is also on 3
So Toto is 1 yellow card away from a 1 match ban

Yes need a striker or 2, but still Boyce left we have been leaking too many goals. If we can get our defenders playing in their correct positions and stop conceding silly goals. In recent games we have conceded first and have had to chase the game.

We are a defender and 2 strikers away from a good team
Posted by: denni266, September 18, 2014, 4:50pm; Reply: 42
I wouldnt expect Hurst to play the youngsters just yet while he still thinks he has a chance of the playoffs, . maybe in 3/4 games when he realises ho has blown it again
Posted by: barralad, September 18, 2014, 4:52pm; Reply: 43
Quoted from brad_gtfc
We've conceded poor goals since Boyce went back so for me this is a good signing, on paper.
Now just a striker please Mr.Hurst.

We have conceded 6 goals in the last four games-all of them down to defensive errors since Boyce went back to Scunny. All good teams are built from the back. None of us know whether this new lad will be able to do the business but if our defensively experienced manager-who incidentally was instrumental in bringing Pond, Boyce, Toto etc. to the club thinks it's a good move then it is certainly worth backing that judgement.
Posted by: barralad, September 18, 2014, 4:55pm; Reply: 44
Quoted from denni266
I wouldnt expect Hurst to play the youngsters just yet while he still thinks he has a chance of the playoffs, . maybe in 3/4 games when he realises ho has blown it again

What's with this "again" nonsense? Do you hibernate during late April early May?
Posted by: GrimRob, September 18, 2014, 5:10pm; Reply: 45
Quoted from kingster72
Clueless Hurst at it again, when has Walker, or Winfarrah ever let us down?

I suspect he has more of a clue then you do, since he works with them every day.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 18, 2014, 5:12pm; Reply: 46
So, we've signed a utility defender on his way back from a cruciate ligament injury who hasn't played a game this season, on a month loan.

Great stuff.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 5:16pm; Reply: 47
Quoted from GrimRob

I suspect he has more of a clue then you do, since he works with them every day.

And more of a clue than I do as well. But I would re-iterate that if they are not going to be used to fill gaps at this stage of the season, what are they doing here and why are they being shoved down the pecking order by a loanee who has hardly set foot on a pitch this season? Seems a reasonable question to me.

Posted by: GrimRob, September 18, 2014, 5:21pm; Reply: 48

And more of a clue than I do as well. But I would re-iterate that if they are not going to be used to fill gaps at this stage of the season, what are they doing here and why are they being shoved down the pecking order by a loanee who has hardly set foot on a pitch this season? Seems a reasonable question to me.

Yes I agree it's a good question but I am sure PH will have made this signing for a reason. He strikes me as a thoughtful, analytical person, he won't have signed him on a whim, and nobody knows how much it's costing us. If it costs the club peanuts then it might be a good deal to get an experienced player in. He might even have been signed to warm the bench, and those other guys could get in the team, we don't know yet.
Posted by: Perkins, September 18, 2014, 5:23pm; Reply: 49
I see the experts are out in force again. Just can,t wait to knock a player before he has even played can we?
And we wonder why players don't want to come here.
Posted by: Vance Warner, September 18, 2014, 5:35pm; Reply: 50
Some of the responses on here are laughable. People have some very valid criticisms of Hurst but slagging him off for making a loan signing who we haven't seen play is ridiculous. People did the same with Clay and he's been one of our better signings. Time will tell how this one turns out but lets not slag him off yet. You can have more than one player on loan so this in no way affects the striker situation. Claiming that every move shows Hurst is losing the plot does no favours to those with valid criticisms.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 18, 2014, 5:41pm; Reply: 51
Quoted from Perkins
I see the experts are out in force again. Just can,t wait to knock a player before he has even played can we?
And we wonder why players don't want to come here.

who is knocking the player ?

simply saying its a signing well down the priority list.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 18, 2014, 5:48pm; Reply: 52
As johnnyboy says, no one as far as i can tell is questioning the players ability, just questioning the reasons behind signing a defender who hasn't played a game this season, when we are down to one fit striker.

Suppose it's as much disappointment as anything else that there is still no striker on the horizon with a tough away game looming in 2 days.
Posted by: denni266, September 18, 2014, 6:09pm; Reply: 53
Quoted from barralad

What's with this "again" nonsense? Do you hibernate during late April early May?

no. i watch Hurst let the strikers he has destroyed go and not replace them , ad to that june,, july,, august ,, september , well apart from injury prone players,
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2014, 6:13pm; Reply: 54
Hurst has 'destroyed' strikers? WTF?
Posted by: Perkins, September 18, 2014, 6:17pm; Reply: 55
Quoted from jonnyboy82

who is knocking the player ?

simply saying its a signing well down the priority list.

I didn't realise I had referred to your post in particular, I don't usually read them. I was generalising.

I would say given recent defensive displays, a loan defender is well UP on the priority list. At least it would mean players were not having to play out of position whilst we have injuries. I agree we need another striker perhaps two, but no doubt whoever we get the usual moaners will slag him off before he has even hit the M180.
Posted by: Mariner Ronnie, September 18, 2014, 6:20pm; Reply: 56
Quoted from ginnywings
So, we've signed a utility defender on his way back from a cruciate ligament injury who hasn't played a game this season, on a month loan.

Great stuff.

I'll make that judgement when I watch him play

UTM
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 6:22pm; Reply: 57
Quoted from Maringer
Hurst has 'destroyed' strikers? WTF?

If Scott had stayed as manager instead Cook would be playing in the Champions League.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 18, 2014, 6:24pm; Reply: 58
Quoted from Perkins

I didn't realise I had referred to your post in particular, I don't usually read them. I was generalising.

I would say given recent defensive displays, a loan defender is well UP on the priority list. At least it would mean players were not having to play out of position whilst we have injuries. I agree we need another striker perhaps two, but no doubt whoever we get the usual moaners will slag him off before he has even hit the M180.

well ok I will simplify it for you ...

can you show me this imaginary post were as you put it "knocking a player before he has even played and no wonder no one wants to come here" ?

yep there isn't one, just you and a few other rose tinters trying to justify we need another defender
Posted by: tanga_the_indestructible, September 18, 2014, 6:31pm; Reply: 59
Quoted from Grantham_Mariner
Rearrange the following word to make an appropriate sentence.......

Paul lost plot Hurst has the

Really?

In my view, the biggest loss we've suffered this season is having Boyce recalled. We haven't played with the same confidence since he went back to Scunthorpe.
Posted by: ginnywings, September 18, 2014, 6:33pm; Reply: 60
Quoted from Mariner Ronnie

I'll make that judgement when I watch him play

UTM

Who's making a judgement? Certainly not me. Never heard of the guy, so i'm not going to judge his ability unseen.

I was hoping for a striker to give us and the squad a boost. Forgive me for being disappointed with a utility defender on a months loan.
Posted by: grimsby pete, September 18, 2014, 6:40pm; Reply: 61
We have missed Boyce,

Hurst said we will not be getting him back,

So this is a good signing imo,

We are still after a couple of strikers,

I have said Hurst is not perfect but give the guy a break,

He gets called if he does not sign a player yet gets called when he does.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 18, 2014, 6:41pm; Reply: 62
Hurst isn't stupid, he knows what he is doing.
The chances are that this loan signing is costing us next to nothing.
He obviously wants some extra cover with Thomas out, he clearly is not keen on Bignot, and doesn't want to trust the inexperience of the youngsters.
Now I know someone is going to say we need to try the younger ones but Hurst clearly is not going to.
I think he will send them out on loan first.
So, if we use Parslow once and he does well then it's been worth it.
And by signing him on loan it also means that Toto, Pearson and Magnay can play in their favoured positions with Parslow at right back.
And we've got Doig on the bench as a reserve centre half.
Also take into account that the yellow card situation is building up already.

UTM
Posted by: jimgtfc, September 18, 2014, 6:55pm; Reply: 63
:-/
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 6:56pm; Reply: 64
Quoted from mariner tommy
Hurst isn't stupid, he knows what he is doing.
The chances are that this loan signing is costing us next to nothing.
He obviously wants some extra cover with Thomas out, he clearly is not keen on Bignot, and doesn't want to trust the inexperience of the youngsters.
Now I know someone is going to say we need to try the younger ones but Hurst clearly is not going to.
I think he will send them out on loan first.
So, if we use Parslow once and he does well then it's been worth it.
And by signing him on loan it also means that Toto, Pearson and Magnay can play in their favoured positions with Parslow at right back.
And we've got Doig on the bench as a reserve centre half.
Also take into account that the yellow card situation is building up already.

UTM

Missing the point Tommy. We all know he wanted some cover for injuries at the back - the question is why does he need to go and use this loan at this stage of the season? If the youngsters are inexperienced how on earth are they going to get experience if he doesn't play them? If he knows they are not good enough from what he has seen then why not release them and save money? Seems a silly waste of time to just hang on to them until the end of the season so they can go and join Boston.
Posted by: Stew0_0, September 18, 2014, 6:57pm; Reply: 65
Think this signing makes sense. Not sure if bignot injured or deemed not good enough, and to be honest he isnt. Think parslow will come in at right back, allowing toto to move back inside.
really hoping also that he is magnay mark 2.
I think this guy has suddenly become available and is someone hurst has had his eye on for a while so jumped at the chance to get him. Do feel sorry for walker though.
obviously it is easier to sign a defender rather than a quality striker but theres still time and im sure we will get someone in before the weekend. Utm
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 18, 2014, 7:05pm; Reply: 66

Missing the point Tommy. We all know he wanted some cover for injuries at the back - the question is why does he need to go and use this loan at this stage of the season? If the youngsters are inexperienced how on earth are they going to get experience if he doesn't play them? If he knows they are not good enough from what he has seen then why not release them and save money? Seems a silly waste of time to just hang on to them until the end of the season so they can go and join Boston.

I know what you mean, that's why I would think he would send them out on loan.
He clearly thinks there is potential there, but not without a bit more experience gained elsewhere.
And I can see his reasoning behind it, I think !

UTM
Posted by: KK_DOG, September 18, 2014, 7:17pm; Reply: 67
Quoted from Abdul19

Absolutely spot on
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 7:22pm; Reply: 68
Quoted from mariner tommy

I know what you mean, that's why I would think he would send them out on loan.
He clearly thinks there is potential there, but not without a bit more experience gained elsewhere.
And I can see his reasoning behind it, I think !

UTM

Still seems daft though Tom.

Tony Ford was 16 when he first played in the first team, Kevin Moore 18, Kevin Drinkell 17, Ryan Bennett 17 ......... plenty of other examples from days when the game was a lot rougher and we were playing at a higher level. If these kids are good enough they should play. If not, release them altogether and free up the cash. We shouldn't need to be pratting about with a months loan for cover.
Posted by: moosey_club, September 18, 2014, 7:24pm; Reply: 69
Quoted from fiveallive
In pre season PH said he had no problem putting Paul Walker in the team and that he's ready.

also said he was happy with the defensive side of his squad when it reached 8 of them........fast forward 6 weeks and we are welcoming a second loan defender already.....
Posted by: Perkins, September 18, 2014, 7:30pm; Reply: 70
Quoted from jonnyboy82

can you show me this imaginary post were as you put it "knocking a player before he has even played and no wonder no one wants to come here" ?

yep there isn't one, just you and a few other rose tinters trying to justify we need another defender

Like I said , not referring to any of YOUR posts in particular, as they are usually too grammatically mystifying to read, but you will find many instances on various threads that whenever we sign or bring in a player on loan he, or the Manager has been judged before he has even played. And I,m sure many of us would rather view events through "rose tinters" than than through the gloom of a rectal hole.

Posted by: grimsby pete, September 18, 2014, 7:32pm; Reply: 71

Still seems daft though Tom.

Tony Ford was 16 when he first played in the first team, Kevin Moore 18, Kevin Drinkell 17, Ryan Bennett 17 ......... plenty of other examples from days when the game was a lot rougher and we were playing at a higher level. If these kids are good enough they should play. If not, release them altogether and free up the cash. We shouldn't need to be pratting about with a months loan for cover.

Maybe it's not for just a month,

He could stay for longer, when Thomas is fit, the others will be suspended,

He could end up playing a few games by Christmas.
Posted by: Meza, September 18, 2014, 7:37pm; Reply: 72
This is what happens when you sign a player thats not on a long season loan, plays well then goes back to his parent club.  It causes issues with the defense in terms of having to get to know each other again.  It happened when Nathan Pond went back and we struggled without him.
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2014, 7:43pm; Reply: 73
I can understand fans views on the fact that Walker and Winnfarah are not getting any experience BUT starting a game with them in the side is taking a risk too far IMO. You can bring them off the bench for 30 mins or so in a game when we are comfortably leading or to replace a tiring or injured player. This in itself will be valuable experience. The fact that they are training with the full time professionals is again getting valuable coaching experience. Up until the summer their training was with the Youth set-up which I would imagine is a lot different to what they are getting now. Their place in the squad is important but they still have a lot to learn which is why they should be eased in and not suddenly exposed to some of the " blood and thunder " that is part of some of the bruising tactics employed by certain clubs at this level.
Posted by: mariner tommy, September 18, 2014, 7:47pm; Reply: 74
Quoted from rancido
I can understand fans views on the fact that Walker and Winnfarah are not getting any experience BUT starting a game with them in the side is taking a risk too far IMO. You can bring them off the bench for 30 mins or so in a game when we are comfortably leading or to replace a tiring or injured player. This in itself will be valuable experience. The fact that they are training with the full time professionals is again getting valuable coaching experience. Up until the summer their training was with the Youth set-up which I would imagine is a lot different to what they are getting now. Their place in the squad is important but they still have a lot to learn which is why they should be eased in and not suddenly exposed to some of the " blood and thunder " that is part of some of the bruising tactics employed by certain clubs at this level.

Wholeheartedly agree.

UTM
Posted by: Meza, September 18, 2014, 7:52pm; Reply: 75
A bit like what happened to Bennett and I'Anson if your good enough age shouldn't be a factor but I kind of agree Rancido giving them some minutes from the bench would be a good start but it is a risk although I heard he did very well (Walker) in preseason although a bit different when points are at stake.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 18, 2014, 7:53pm; Reply: 76
Quoted from Perkins

Like I said , not referring to any of YOUR posts in particular, as they are usually too grammatically mystifying to read, but you will find many instances on various threads that whenever we sign or bring in a player on loan he, or the Manager has been judged before he has even played. And I,m sure many of us would rather view events through "rose tinters" than than through the gloom of a rectal hole.

I suggest you read back this ^ post and have a laugh to yourself before you judge anyone on grammar  >:(
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2014, 8:00pm; Reply: 77
Quoted from Meza
A bit like what happened to Bennett and I'Anson if your good enough age shouldn't be a factor but I kind of agree Rancido giving them some minutes from the bench would be a good start but it is a risk although I heard he did very well (Walker) in preseason although a bit different when points are at stake.

I heard the same but there were also comments about how he was inclined to dive in and one instance where the ref advised us to replace him before he did something really rash.
On another note there has also been comparisons about how previous town players have debuted at a similar age or even younger but this isn't a " once size fits all " scenario. It is certainly easier to introduce a relatively young and inexperienced forward or winger than it is to call upon a similar status full-back. Once a weakness is detected in your defence then the more experienced opposition will exploit that. Some players are also a lot further forward at that age than others , you only have to look at the early Rooney and Rajeed  Stirling to see examples of this.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 8:04pm; Reply: 78
Quoted from rancido

Well neither exactly got a look in against Gateshead or Alfreton did they? People talk about this "easing in" but it simply never happens here these days. I wouldn't say Southwell was necessarily good enough but he was another case in point. Given another years contract last year to do nothing bar a few nothing games and then released.

I can understand kids being kept on as young pros. I can understand why PH signed a loanee today. I can't understand how the two things match up.

The bruising argument just doesn't hold water when you think how much protection players get compared to the tackles Tony Ford or Dave Boylen took at 16/17/18. Get them in or you'll never know what they can do. In my opinion PH is afraid to do it but he's not afraid for the kids ............. he's afraid it could go wrong for him and he is not a risk taker.

Posted by: livosnose, September 18, 2014, 8:09pm; Reply: 79
Quoted from Abdul19

If Scott had stayed as manager instead Cook would be playing in the Champions League.

Easy cooky is ace  :)
Posted by: Meza, September 18, 2014, 8:12pm; Reply: 80
Quoted from rancido

I heard the same but there were also comments about how he was inclined to dive in and one instance where the ref advised us to replace him before he did something really rash.
On another note there has also been comparisons about how previous town players have debuted at a similar age or even younger but this isn't a " once size fits all " scenario. It is certainly easier to introduce a relatively young and inexperienced forward or winger than it is to call upon a similar status full-back. Once a weakness is detected in your defence then the more experienced opposition will exploit that. Some players are also a lot further forward at that age than others , you only have to look at the early Rooney and Rajeed  Stirling to see examples of this.

Yeah he showed his inexperience with his petulance against GY borough and it wasn't passion so I guess in one way PH might see that as a potential of getting sent off.  Then he also showed Donny that he can defend and get up the pitch.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2014, 8:25pm; Reply: 81
Quoted from Maringer

Because they've not been picked. If they're not good enough why keep them? If we're short of money why sign a loanee when we have cover int he club? But mor importantly, if it's match time why sign a player who's not played for a year?
If Bignot and other players signed by Hurst are not good enough, why should we think this signing will be any better?
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from The Yard Dog
How many yellow cards are Pearson and Toto this season? Toto is on 4 and Pearson on 3
Brown is also on 3
So Toto is 1 yellow card away from a 1 match ban

Yes need a striker or 2, but still Boyce left we have been leaking too many goals. If we can get our defenders playing in their correct positions and stop conceding silly goals. In recent games we have conceded first and have had to chase the game.

We are a defender and 2 strikers away from a good team

We are a good manager away from being a good team.
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2014, 8:27pm; Reply: 83

Well neither exactly got a look in against Gateshead or Alfreton did they? People talk about this "easing in" but it simply never happens here these days. I wouldn't say Southwell was necessarily good enough but he was another case in point. Given another years contract last year to do nothing bar a few nothing games and then released.

I can understand kids being kept on as young pros. I can understand why PH signed a loanee today. I can't understand how the two things match up.

The bruising argument just doesn't hold water when you think how much protection players get compared to the tackles Tony Ford or Dave Boylen took at 16/17/18. Get them in or you'll never know what they can do. In my opinion PH is afraid to do it but he's not afraid for the kids ............. he's afraid it could go wrong for him and he is not a risk taker.

Maybe Dave can give his views on this and then you can see it from an ex pro who came through the system. As a point of interest Dave Boylen ( according to the History of Grimsby Town) made his debut for town when he was 19 in May 1967 for the last but one game of the season and then the last game of the season.  It was only in November 1967 that he became an established first teamer by which time he was 20. So not as young as is being suggested.
Posted by: chaos33, September 18, 2014, 8:34pm; Reply: 84
Hasn't played a full competitive game since last October having had an ACL op.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 18, 2014, 8:35pm; Reply: 85
Quoted from rancido

Why weren't they brought on then when 5 up at Gateshead or Alfy?
Posted by: rancido, September 18, 2014, 8:41pm; Reply: 86
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Why weren't they brought on then when 5 up at Gateshead or Alfy?

Obviously I can't answer that , only PH can. But it would have been the ideal time to introduce them if any of them had been on the bench.
Posted by: Abdul19, September 18, 2014, 9:18pm; Reply: 87
Winfarrah was brought on at 4-0 v Alfreton.
Posted by: Maringer, September 18, 2014, 9:22pm; Reply: 88

Because they've not been picked. If they're not good enough why keep them? If we're short of money why sign a loanee when we have cover int he club? But mor importantly, if it's match time why sign a player who's not played for a year?
If Bignot and other players signed by Hurst are not good enough, why should we think this signing will be any better?

I'm surprised we've signed Parslow, but he is very experienced and I assume this is why he has come in. I'd have thought that one of the youngsters might get some game time but perhaps Hurst doesn't think they are up to it at the moment?

As I said before, not sure what this means for Bignot. On his way out before too long, perhaps?
Posted by: TAGG, September 18, 2014, 9:39pm; Reply: 89
http://mobile.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/minsterman-set-for-town-1926552.aspx

Parslow returned to action, after recovering from cruciate ligament damage, in City's final pre-season game against Sheffield United. But he has not stepped on to the pitch in competitive action since then.

Sounds good then  :'(
Posted by: Garth, September 18, 2014, 10:37pm; Reply: 90
Could be proved wrong again but the new guy when he starts Saturday will be blowing out of his rse come half time if he has no match time in his pocket,  and it will be down to A another to fill the gap, maybe one of the youngsters or the much maligned Bignot
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, September 18, 2014, 10:37pm; Reply: 91
Quoted from rancido

Maybe Dave can give his views on this and then you can see it from an ex pro who came through the system. As a point of interest Dave Boylen ( according to the History of Grimsby Town) made his debut for town when he was 19 in May 1967 for the last but one game of the season and then the last game of the season.  It was only in November 1967 that he became an established first teamer by which time he was 20. So not as young as is being suggested.

Thank you for that. I will sub the aged Dave Boylen and bring on 16 year old Kevin Drinkell. ;)

Posted by: fiveallive, September 18, 2014, 10:40pm; Reply: 92
The most frustrating issue with Winfarrah and Walker is they have both played well in games where injuries have meant they have had to come on to the pitch and they haven't been terrible where they can't be trusted. Bignot said on the radio before Lincoln game that he had a injury so he's not fit. Danny Parslow a big lad can handle himself in this league keeps us ticking over and is a utility player so he can play in a few positions.
Posted by: Marinerz93, September 18, 2014, 10:56pm; Reply: 93
Quoted from Perkins

Quoted from jonnyboy82

Never happens at any other club, it must be a Grimsby thing.
Posted by: arryarryarry, September 19, 2014, 9:32am; Reply: 94
Quoted from Perkins

The same comment can be levelled at the rose tinted brigade.

There is at least one comment on here "a good signing" and recently Toto when he signed was lamented as being great if I remember correctly, but recent performances haven't been that great have they?

No one knows how good a player will be until he pulls on the black & white shirt and steps out on the field.

Posted by: biggles9999, September 19, 2014, 12:15pm; Reply: 95
For all those players quoting the if your good enough your old enough phrase, you are correct, but to back this up by listing players such as Drinkell and Bennett is a little extreme. You are talking about players who appear at a club of Grimsby size on a fairly small basis and went onto play at the top level.

If we are going to judge all of Town's youngsters by this standard then 99% will be on a hiding to nothing.

I also saw people quoting Raheem Sterling being played at a young age. Last season Brendan Rodgers signed Victor Moses on loan because he didnt feel Sterling was good enough. Sterling only got a place in the team around Xmas time (a 3-1 defeat at Hull) and he kicked on from there. Whos to say that the young kids arent good enough now, only a month into the season, but they wont be a little further down the line after time to learn?

All young players develop at different paces and I would hate to see some of the short termism being employed by many on this thread by those running GTFC.
Posted by: forza ivano, September 19, 2014, 12:19pm; Reply: 96
Quoted from Abdul19
Winfarrah was brought on at 4-0 v Alfreton.

wtf abdul? ruining a perfectly good anti-hurst rant with a fact? you can't do that.

boo hurst boo!! is what you need to be posting
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 19, 2014, 12:25pm; Reply: 97
Quoted from biggles9999

All young players develop at different paces and I would hate to see some of the short termism being employed by many on this thread by those running GTFC.

So how many youth players have Hurst or Hurst & Scott given a chance and are still here?
Posted by: Maringer, September 19, 2014, 12:45pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So how many youth players have Hurst or Hurst & Scott given a chance and are still here?

How many of the youth players who have left the club in recent seasons have gone on to have successful careers either in our division or in higher leagues?
Posted by: oldun, September 19, 2014, 12:52pm; Reply: 99
Fa trophy and fa cup games will soon be upon us, opportunities for the younger players to gain more experience I would suggest. Apart from his lack iof games recently this fella has good experience in a number of defensive positions and given Boyce is not available to us looks like a useful addition if fit. Look how Magnay has turned out another like him will suit me fine. We need Toto back in the middle and I hope Doig is giving him some good coaching sessions to iron out his occasional errors.
Posted by: highcliff mariner, September 19, 2014, 12:55pm; Reply: 100
Quoted from forza ivano

wtf abdul? ruining a perfectly good anti-hurst rant with a fact? you can't do that.

(clap2)
Posted by: jonnyboy82, September 19, 2014, 12:55pm; Reply: 101
Quoted from forza ivano

Blimey you post some drivel.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 19, 2014, 1:03pm; Reply: 102
Quoted from Maringer

How many of the youth players who have left the club in recent seasons have gone on to have successful careers either in our division or in higher leagues?

1, under the current manager, another is performing and scoring at the level below.
Posted by: biggles9999, September 19, 2014, 1:05pm; Reply: 103
Quoted from MuddyWaters

A chance does not always mean an extended run in the team, sometimes it is easy to see someone is not quite ready from one game or short bursts but off the top of my head the following young players have all made appearances since joining the club. Btw I have taken young to mean U23, (the max age anybody can play for England U21's).

Paul Walker
Caine Winffarrah
Ellis Humble
Charlie I'anson
Andi Thanoj
Dayle Southwell
James McKeown
Craig Clay
Andy Cook
Aristote Nsiala
Shaun Pearson
Anthony Church

Even players like LJL and Thomas were 23 when they signed.

We are hardly a club going round signing people towards the end of their careers.
Posted by: Maringer, September 19, 2014, 1:19pm; Reply: 104
I think the fact that we're not bringing many youngsters through the ranks (from youth to first team) isn't really too surprising. After all, the way the systems are set up now, the 'better' prospects tend to be hoovered up by the academies of League clubs who still receive decent funding in comparison to Conference clubs, such as ourselves. Signing on to Non-League GTFC doesn't seem like as good a prospect for youngsters as signing on to League One Scunny. Sad, but true.

The whole, "must play the youngsters" meme we're hearing all the time doesn't really seem to consider that they might just not be quite good enough. Obviously, I'd be very happy if our own young players could make the grade but the assumption that the only thing holding them back is the failure of the management to select them doesn't seem to be based on any evidence other than wishful thinking.
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 19, 2014, 2:33pm; Reply: 105
Quoted from Maringer
I think the fact that we're not bringing many youngsters through the ranks (from youth to first team) isn't really too surprising. After all, the way the systems are set up now, the 'better' prospects tend to be hoovered up by the academies of League clubs who still receive decent funding in comparison to Conference clubs, such as ourselves. Signing on to Non-League GTFC doesn't seem like as good a prospect for youngsters as signing on to League One Scunny. Sad, but true.

The whole, "must play the youngsters" meme we're hearing all the time doesn't really seem to consider that they might just not be quite good enough. Obviously, I'd be very happy if our own young players could make the grade but the assumption that the only thing holding them back is the failure of the management to select them doesn't seem to be based on any evidence other than wishful thinking.

Agree with most of that, although sometimes we need to understand that you need to play to get experience.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 19, 2014, 4:54pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Maringer

We may as well pack in the Youth set-up if that's the case. And not give pro contracts to the likes of Winfarrah, Humble, Walker etc.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 19, 2014, 4:57pm; Reply: 107
Quoted from rancido

Mid-May to November is no tie at all in football terms. 3 months are the closed season so only 3 months of playing time.
Posted by: oldun, September 19, 2014, 5:07pm; Reply: 108
I think all of our 3 first year pro's show promise and I hope we persevere with them. Clearly PH thinks they have something or he would not have offered them a contract. The fact that they have had limited chances so far does not mean he has given up on them at all and I am sure when the right opportunity occurs they will get their chance. In the meantime patience is required from all concerned and if one or two have to go on loan to get some games in then so be it. Winfarrah did that last season and came back better.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, September 19, 2014, 5:44pm; Reply: 109
Quoted from oldun
I think all of our 3 first year pro's show promise and I hope we persevere with them. Clearly PH thinks they have something or he would not have offered them a contract. The fact that they have had limited chances so far does not mean he has given up on them at all and I am sure when the right opportunity occurs they will get their chance. In the meantime patience is required from all concerned and if one or two have to go on loan to get some games in then so be it. Winfarrah did that last season and came back better.

And has managed how many first team appearances?
Posted by: MuddyWaters, September 19, 2014, 5:56pm; Reply: 110

And has managedbeen given how many first team appearances?

Posted by: oldun, September 19, 2014, 6:58pm; Reply: 111
He is not about to dislodge Magnay, that's the way football goes sometimes. As I said patience required.
Posted by: Maringer, September 19, 2014, 7:42pm; Reply: 112
As noted, Winfarrah is unlikely to dislodge either Magnay or Thomas when he's back fit. He's also unlikely to take the place in midfield often taken by Neilson or (when fit) Arnold.

If any of the youngsters was more likely to play, I'd have thought it would be Walker, but Hurst obviously doesn't want to make this move. Hence the signing of Parslow and also using Nsiala at right-back at times this season.

I'm sure they will play in the Trophy this season. Then it's up to them to prove they are worthy of a place in the team playing in the Conference.
Print page generated: March 29, 2024, 2:13pm