12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
highcliff mariner
September 19, 2014, 12:55pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -3
Approval: +778
Quoted from forza ivano

wtf abdul? ruining a perfectly good anti-hurst rant with a fact? you can't do that.

boo hurst boo!! is what you need to be posting

Private Message
Reply: 100 - 112
jonnyboy82
September 19, 2014, 12:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from forza ivano

wtf abdul? ruining a perfectly good anti-hurst rant with a fact? you can't do that.

boo hurst boo!! is what you need to be posting

Blimey you post some drivel.

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 112
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 1:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer

How many of the youth players who have left the club in recent seasons have gone on to have successful careers either in our division or in higher leagues?

1, under the current manager, another is performing and scoring at the level below.
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 112
biggles9999
September 19, 2014, 1:05pm
Main Stander
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +367
Quoted from MuddyWaters

So how many youth players have Hurst or Hurst & Scott given a chance and are still here?

A chance does not always mean an extended run in the team, sometimes it is easy to see someone is not quite ready from one game or short bursts but off the top of my head the following young players have all made appearances since joining the club. Btw I have taken young to mean U23, (the max age anybody can play for England U21's).

Paul Walker
Caine Winffarrah
Ellis Humble
Charlie I'anson
Andi Thanoj
Dayle Southwell
James McKeown
Craig Clay
Andy Cook
Aristote Nsiala
Shaun Pearson
Anthony Church

Even players like LJL and Thomas were 23 when they signed.

We are hardly a club going round signing people towards the end of their careers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 112
Maringer
September 19, 2014, 1:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,506
Gold Stars: 185
I think the fact that we're not bringing many youngsters through the ranks (from youth to first team) isn't really too surprising. After all, the way the systems are set up now, the 'better' prospects tend to be hoovered up by the academies of League clubs who still receive decent funding in comparison to Conference clubs, such as ourselves. Signing on to Non-League GTFC doesn't seem like as good a prospect for youngsters as signing on to League One Scunny. Sad, but true.

The whole, "must play the youngsters" meme we're hearing all the time doesn't really seem to consider that they might just not be quite good enough. Obviously, I'd be very happy if our own young players could make the grade but the assumption that the only thing holding them back is the failure of the management to select them doesn't seem to be based on any evidence other than wishful thinking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 112
MuddyWaters
September 19, 2014, 2:33pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,242
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer
I think the fact that we're not bringing many youngsters through the ranks (from youth to first team) isn't really too surprising. After all, the way the systems are set up now, the 'better' prospects tend to be hoovered up by the academies of League clubs who still receive decent funding in comparison to Conference clubs, such as ourselves. Signing on to Non-League GTFC doesn't seem like as good a prospect for youngsters as signing on to League One Scunny. Sad, but true.

The whole, "must play the youngsters" meme we're hearing all the time doesn't really seem to consider that they might just not be quite good enough. Obviously, I'd be very happy if our own young players could make the grade but the assumption that the only thing holding them back is the failure of the management to select them doesn't seem to be based on any evidence other than wishful thinking.

Agree with most of that, although sometimes we need to understand that you need to play to get experience.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 112
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2014, 4:54pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Maringer

We may as well pack in the Youth set-up if that's the case. And not give pro contracts to the likes of Winfarrah, Humble, Walker etc.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 112
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2014, 4:57pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Maybe Dave can give his views on this and then you can see it from an ex pro who came through the system. As a point of interest Dave Boylen ( according to the History of Grimsby Town) made his debut for town when he was 19 in May 1967 for the last but one game of the season and then the last game of the season.  It was only in November 1967 that he became an established first teamer by which time he was 20. So not as young as is being suggested.

Mid-May to November is no tie at all in football terms. 3 months are the closed season so only 3 months of playing time.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 112
oldun
September 19, 2014, 5:07pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I think all of our 3 first year pro's show promise and I hope we persevere with them. Clearly PH thinks they have something or he would not have offered them a contract. The fact that they have had limited chances so far does not mean he has given up on them at all and I am sure when the right opportunity occurs they will get their chance. In the meantime patience is required from all concerned and if one or two have to go on loan to get some games in then so be it. Winfarrah did that last season and came back better.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 112
KingstonMariner
September 19, 2014, 5:44pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from oldun
I think all of our 3 first year pro's show promise and I hope we persevere with them. Clearly PH thinks they have something or he would not have offered them a contract. The fact that they have had limited chances so far does not mean he has given up on them at all and I am sure when the right opportunity occurs they will get their chance. In the meantime patience is required from all concerned and if one or two have to go on loan to get some games in then so be it. Winfarrah did that last season and came back better.

And has managed how many first team appearances?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 112
12 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Dan Parslow signs on loan

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.