Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › E-Mail from the Trust
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 5 Guests

E-Mail from the Trust

This thread currently has 72,771 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Quagmire
February 16, 2012, 4:04pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +19 / 0
Approval: +932
Gold Stars: 43
Quoted from Squarkus
all fenty has been banging on about is that the club needs future funding, how does turning his loans into shares give the club future funding, doing it the way he is, is great for gtfc.

Fenty supposedly won't make additional funds available whilst 'control sits outside of the boardroom'.

By converting his loans into shares he would get the control he so obviously desires.

A positive side to converting loans into shares is that it looks better on the club accounts and has the potential to attract inward investment - something he basically just gives lip service to.

He could quite easily buy 200k of shares and then convert the necessary amount of loans into shares so that he gets the control he wants.

He appears reluctant to do so.

My opinion is that he is hedging his bets. If the club eventually goes to the wall as a creditor he will get some of this money back out of the club - as a shareholder he is likely to get zip.

If he had genuine belief in the future of GTFC then it shouldn't be a problem for him to convert loans to shares.

Instead he try's to bully the Trust into handing shares over to him.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 220 - 309
barralad
February 16, 2012, 4:19pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1600

Are members of trust board trying to convince us they've been transparent and open ?
Jesus wept.

But it doesn't stop you throwing your voice behind something that has nothing to do with it ?

Didn't you say before it's not the role of the trust to represent the interests of ALL fans, only the trusts membership ?

Personally, I think the lines are sufficiently greyed for the trust to be able to justify anything.

Fair enough but whilst it's great news that it provides stability until 2013 it doesn't tackle the issue of JF's willingness to fund the club long-term.

I was someone who suggested the trust hand over some of it's shares to solve the "control outside the boardroom" issue, but I presumed that was the only issue JF had with in terms of funding the club long term.
Obviously not ?

What's going to be the trusts response if JF comes back in June 2013 asking for the remaining trust shares ?
Will the trust go out of their way to formulate yet ANOTHER proposal ?

Whilst I'm not personally convinced these shares offer too much value in real terms, other members may not feel the same and (presumably depending on football fortune) they might be of greater value in the future ?

More importantly weren't the trust (according to their statements) THEMSELVES saying they held some value ?

So in that case, what guarantees can the trust offer it's membership for the future ?
If none are made, I see no reason why the trust won't lose all of it's remamining shareholding later for the exact same reasons.

Should the the trust and it's membership not consider it's position on this issue if only to convince and attract future members ?

Yet JF has now come out in the Telegraph and said the club has the money until the end of NEXT season.
How quickly things can change in football !  

I find it very difficult to believe JF would walk away.
Or for that matter weaken the squad.

For one he's already said he's providing further funding.
He'd look a bit of a prat if he walked away with Town improving on the piitch or looking good for next season wouldn't he ?
And didn't he say he also wouldn't walk away anyway ?
Surely as a fan, he wants promotion just as much as anybody else and will continue to ensure we have the means to have the best chance ?

Bottom line is I find it difficult to believe JF wouldn't fund the club or cover the losses whilst we're in League 2 (hopefully next year) or whilst we're chasing promotion in the BSP next season.

That said we know things can quickly change in football - right now I'm probably gonna vote yes simply because it buys time until 2013 (just in case god fobid things go mammaries up on the pitch again).

But tbh I don't buy the trust's version of events (or that they've been "held to ransom").

From thinking the outcome a mere formaility, I was also suprised to read in the GET that "it is understood the issue has divided its board".
I didn't expect that !  

Whether the same is true of it's membership is another matter but I feel disadvantages of the "Yes" and advantages of the "No" arguments should at least be discussed.

There you go again. Taking a point out of a sentence and using it to "have a go". The context of my whole post (as I think you very well know) was that I didn't mind coming on the Fishy and explaining why I personally voted in favour of the negotiated stand point and voted that it should be put before the Trust membership.

I can only assume from your second point that some of the bile you are spitting has got into your eyes or affected your powers of reasoning. Perhaps I should have spelt it out. Given that I believe that currently only Mr Fenty has the wherewithal to fund the club I judged that the surrender of some of our (gifted) shareholding and accompanying voting rights was a price worth paying given our current inability as a Trust to fund the club to be able to get around the negotiating table regarding some of the improvements to the match day experience the Trust wish to see.
As a Trust Board member I firmly believe that my responsibilities are firstly with the Trust membership. Any improvements along the lines of what we are looking for will of course also benefit supporters who are not Trust members.

The point I was making that at the time we were asked to vote on this issue I couldn't be certain that John Fenty wouldn't pull the plug on funding. John Fenty didn't to my knowledge agree to fund the club further until he'd had the discussions with the Trust. I certainly had no idea that Bennett would definitely be sold late on deadline day. The only concrete point was that we had an asset in Liam Hearn who could have been sold to provide some cash to keep the club running. How you or anyone else for that matter cannot see that when faced with the prospect of ploughing more money into the club anybody would look to try to lessen that load by liquidising assets is totally beyond my comprehension.

I wasn't aware that anyone had given a version of events. I merely tried to put my reasons for voting "Yes" in writing. I didn't need to and was advised against it but what do I know?

As for the decision not being unanimous I'm surprised that you are surprised. There have been full and frank debates on this subject at board level.

Finally I have absolutely no issue at all in discussing the issues with Trust members.

Perhaps you should look elsewhere for your conspiracy theories.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 221 - 309
sam gy
February 16, 2012, 4:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,477
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from 1600

Exactly, what has it got to do with ALL fans ? (as was claimed)

But like I said, it's ALL fans who wish to have their say. If people don't want to have their say, then don't join, but for christs sake don't flipping moan when decisions get made which you disagree with.

Quoted Text
If they really want people to join they're arguably not engaging as much as they could to try to win them over ?
I've tried hard as I can to persuade them to engage on the messageboards but some just won't have it.

300 or so is hardly a very large figure so I'm as disappointed as you are.

Love and passion for GTFC and having a chance to have your say on the clubs future should be a big enough incentive to join, not whether members have or haven't replied to questions on a message board, FFS they're not criminals who are planning to run away with your money, they're fans just like you and me, whats the worst that could happen?

Quoted Text
Extra members will hopefully enrich every supporters matchday experience - as far as I can see that's about it.

Just off the top of my head, I know for a fact that the trust are getting involved in raising cash for the future of our youth team, amongst other things, including the improvement of match day experience (which starts with having a successful team!).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 222 - 309
AndyGTFC
February 16, 2012, 4:53pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Fenty's the only man willing to back the club so I've got to agree with this. The idea that we'll suddenly be crap again because he's chairman is ridiculous. We might not continue our good form but that won't be because he suddenly has the word chairman next to his name in in the Telegraph.  He's still been chairman in all but name anyway.

The way some of you make Fenty out to be a pantomine villain is so daft. You can't expect him to put his money in without being in control. At the end of the day, people can moan about him being in charge but they aren't able to offer any sort of alternative.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 223 - 309
forza ivano
February 16, 2012, 4:59pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,209
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from AndyGTFC
Fenty's the only man willing to back the club so I've got to agree with this. The idea that we'll suddenly be crap again because he's chairman is ridiculous. We might not continue our good form but that won't be because he suddenly has the word chairman next to his name in in the Telegraph.  He's still been chairman in all but name anyway.

The way some of you make Fenty out to be a pantomine villain is so daft. You can't expect him to put his money in without being in control. At the end of the day, people can moan about him being in charge but they aren't able to offer any sort of alternative.

agreed andy, although if i was entering into any negotiation with him i think i'd check my hands at the end to make sure i still had all my fingers! he is our best (and only) hope and compared to many other club chairman we have the best of a fairly bad/ruthless lot. that doesn't mean to say that the trust should just turn over and have its belly tickled. he seems almost paranoid about control/mike parker and i'd urge the board to use that to their advantage
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 224 - 309
80sglory
February 16, 2012, 5:16pm
Guest User
Quoted from sam gy

But like I said, it's ALL fans who wish to have their say. If people don't want to have their say, then don't join, but for christs sake don't flipping moan when decisions get made which you disagree with.

Who said I disagreed with it ?
Read my post !
All I'm saying is people should be able to discuss the pros and cons of each option without being shot down.

Barralad is suprised I'm suprised the board was split.

I know nothing of the going ons of the trust board except for what I receive by way of trust's communication.
All I see is almost every trust (board) member saying "yes" on the fishy.

But if it's such a tough decision, there must be SOME potential disadvatages to the choice ?
Reply: 225 - 309
Trawler
February 16, 2012, 5:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +33 / -4
Approval: +915
Gold Stars: 6
Mariners Trust have this afternoon tweeted:

"Mariners Trust wish to clarify that only people who were members on Feb 13th will be allowed to vote. Members processed after this date not."

My apologies for posting otherwise earlier in this thread.

To use an awful Americanism - my bad (shoot me now).

"Pound for pound, and class for class, the best football team I have seen in England since the war. In the league they were in they played football nobody else could play. Everything was measured, planned and perfected and you could not wish to see more entertaining football." Bill Shankly, Manager GTFC 1951-54
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 226 - 309
roundballovalhole
February 16, 2012, 5:27pm
Guest User
Quoted from Trawler
Mariners Trust have this afternoon tweeted:

"Mariners Trust wish to clarify that only people who were members on Feb 13th will be allowed to vote. Members processed after this date not."

My apologies for posting otherwise earlier in this thread.

To use an awful Americanism - my bad (shoot me now).

The more i hear about the trust, the less i want to join. . . fenty stooges!

Reply: 227 - 309
Chris
February 16, 2012, 5:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from 1600

Barralad is suprised I'm suprised the board was split.

I know nothing of the going ons of the trust board except for what I receive by way of trust's communication.
All I see is almost every trust (board) member saying "yes" on the fishy.

Show me this or retract the statement because it just not true.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 228 - 309
Chris
February 16, 2012, 5:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +1
Quoted from 1054
  The more i hear about the trust, the less i want to join. . . fenty stooges!

On the advice of Supporters Direct I understand. There is only so much that can be said in 140 characters!!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 229 - 309
31 Pages Prev ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › E-Mail from the Trust

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.