Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › E-Mail from the Trust
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 9 Guests

E-Mail from the Trust

This thread currently has 72,750 views. Print
31 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Biccys
February 16, 2012, 10:38pm
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from 1054
What is the longest thread ever on the fishy?

http://www.thefishy.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/Blah.pl?m-1261668481/s-new/ so far I assume.

Quoted from 1054
Do you think the trust has made a low profile entrance into gtfc life?

Understated and possibly could have been made higher profile by advertising in the ground more and removing the old GTST logo's and adverts tyewrapped around the pillars in the Pontoon.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 250 - 309
bax
February 16, 2012, 10:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.20
Rep Score: +25 / -3
Approval: +2,645
Gold Stars: 30
80s Glory - I have posted a lengthy explanation of why I've voted 'no' at http://toogoodtogodown.wordpress.com
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 251 - 309
80sglory
February 16, 2012, 11:55pm
Guest User
Quoted from bax
80s Glory - I have posted a lengthy explanation of why I've voted 'no' at http://toogoodtogodown.wordpress.com

Thanks for sharing your article and bringing it to my attemtion.

I think you raise some fairish points.

Your question:

"Therefore, why should we be handing over 200,000 shares to allow “Mr Fenty agrees to cover any losses for the current season and for the year ending May 2013” when he’s just admitted this is already covered?"

The way I interpret it (and obviously I may be completely wrong) is that he's saying he's got the ability to fund until May 2013 ON THE UNDERSTANDING THAT CONTROL RETURNS TO THE BOARDROOM.

Or in other words, slightly jumping the gun on the understanding that the vote passes, but moreso creating some feelgood factor for the future in the Telegraph.

I guess the 200 or 400 thousand shares aren't specifically to cover these losses (even thought they might) but simply to return control to the boardroom (but again I'm only guessing and I haven't even looked at figures).

But you raise a valid point - if the money is there then I would guess it appears to be a "Do we want to risk it if we say no..." type scenario.

Your other question about voting rights and Hearn.

Regardless of what actually happened, maybe I'm being thick but personally, I'm totally lost what the connection between voting rights and the potential selling of players is full stop.

Some people say the letter is "carefully worded" and it is but I also find it confusing trying to join up the dots.

I'm not really motivated to do so but the trust have been decent enough to answer questions so I suppose I should compile mine and fire them off.
Reply: 252 - 309
Dan
February 17, 2012, 12:36am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +36 / -17
Approval: +551
Oh you're still here....

Quoted from John Fenty, April 2013
I deconstructed the flag to the point where it was safe and couldn’t be considered a danger
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 309
davmariner
February 17, 2012, 12:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -10
Approval: +4,932
Gold Stars: 79
Briefly... I think the Trust and Mr Fenty have come to an appropriate compromise. My main concern however, is the future beyond May 2013 and I also feel that the Trust should explore the possibility of joining the board (if they aren't already).

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 309
Brisbane Mariner
February 17, 2012, 1:00am

UTM!
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +12 / -2
Approval: +163
Quoted from forza ivano

agreed andy, although if i was entering into any negotiation with him i think i'd check my hands at the end to make sure i still had all my fingers! he is our best (and only) hope and compared to many other club chairman we have the best of a fairly bad/ruthless lot. that doesn't mean to say that the trust should just turn over and have its belly tickled. he seems almost paranoid about control/mike parker and i'd urge the board to use that to their advantage

Probably the most sensible posts I have read so far! UTM Fenty is a fan just like us - he just pays a bit more to watch than any of us!! GTFC Trust Fenty Cash.....we would be fuked without him! IMHO

Its hard enough remembering my opinions without remembering my reasons for them!
Brisbane - beautiful one day and perfect the next! UTM!!!

Religion: An Idiotic holding of firm belief in an unknown entity. The more challenging it gets, the firmer the hold. Atheists are often condemned as enemies, infidels or morons. Strange rituals are performed at the weekend. My Religion is GTFC!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 255 - 309
80sglory
February 17, 2012, 1:24am
Guest User
Quoted from davmariner
Briefly... I think the Trust and Mr Fenty have come to an appropriate compromise. My main concern however, is the future beyond May 2013 and I also feel that the Trust should explore the possibility of joining the board (if they aren't already).

Not sure if their postion has changed since but if you look at the FAQ on the site it says:

"Do you intend to ask for a place on the Board of GTFC ?

Not immediately but our long term aim is to have a seat, or even seats on the board, however, we accept that we initially have to build our membership and be able to quantify any financial commitment we can put our name to. We have already established a regular dialogue with the club and directors and our ultimate aim is to have a seat on the board of GTFC."

http://www.marinerstrust.co.uk/index.php/faqs

JF also said in the recent GET article:

"They are looking to gain credibility, and they are ultimately looking for a seat on the board. I don't have an objection to that."

http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk.....30-detail/story.html

Hope that helps.
Reply: 256 - 309
barralad
February 17, 2012, 7:03am
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from 1600

Thanks for sharing your article and bringing it to my attemtion.

I think you raise some fairish points.

Your question:

"Therefore, why should we be handing over 200,000 shares to allow “Mr Fenty agrees to cover any losses for the current season and for the year ending May 2013” when he’s just admitted this is already covered?"

The way I interpret it (and obviously I may be completely wrong) is that he's saying he's got the ability to fund until May 2013 ON THE UNDERSTANDING THAT CONTROL RETURNS TO THE BOARDROOM.

Or in other words, slightly jumping the gun on the understanding that the vote passes, but moreso creating some feelgood factor for the future in the Telegraph.

I guess the 200 or 400 thousand shares aren't specifically to cover these losses (even thought they might) but simply to return control to the boardroom (but again I'm only guessing and I haven't even looked at figures).

But you raise a valid point - if the money is there then I would guess it appears to be a "Do we want to risk it if we say no..." type scenario.

Your other question about voting rights and Hearn.

Regardless of what actually happened, maybe I'm being thick but personally, I'm totally lost what the connection between voting rights and the potential selling of players is full stop.

Some people say the letter is "carefully worded" and it is but I also find it confusing trying to join up the dots.

I'm not really motivated to do so but the trust have been decent enough to answer questions so I suppose I should compile mine and fire them off.

Halle bloody lujah! The penny has dropped...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 257 - 309
Rodley Mariner
February 17, 2012, 7:43am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 177
What happens in May 2013 then? That's in just over 14 months time, it isn't way off in the distant future.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 309
cardiffmariner
February 17, 2012, 8:29am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +1,321
Gold Stars: 24
Quoted from forza ivano
i speak as a life member and someone who had a very minor role in setting up the trust in the first place.
firstly it's a relief to find so many different and generally well balanced,well argued points of view.
secondly i'd urge those sniping from the sidelines to pay up their tenner and then snipe and vote on something that you're obviously concerned about
thirdly i feel a little uncomfortable that this is the first we have heard of the share movements over 2 weeks after the events.

finally i have to say that despite being pro fenty and pro trust i'm very much in 2 minds about this, and think that someone posted some very good advice i.e. that they would not be voting until they'd read the q & a's from the trust in a couple of weeks time.
my initial view was that i should vote yes and support the trust board and fenty, that the shares were gifted in the first place (you don't miss what you haven't got etc) and that fenty back on board and helping out with funding wasn't a bad deal.in other words the trust hed got the club an extra £200k for doing very little!
but the more i've thought the more i'm thinking of voting no. seems to me like jf has been negotiating with the trust for some while.it also seems clear to me that the bennett transfer was not a bolt from the blue (the story about fry offering jf a pay off predated it by several weeks) and that jf probably guessed ,if not knew, that summat was in the offing either in jan or the summer. then suddenly 2 days before deadline day he apparently tells the trust that 'we've got to sort this out NOW or Hearn gets sold on deadline day'.bet he didn't tell the trust board about the possiblilty of bennett being sold......
be also interested to know why we can't maintain the staus quo until at least the summer, as someone suggested. Why couldn't we give up the voting rights, but retain the shares on a rolling 6 month basis? jf gets the security he needs but knows that he has to retain the 'trust of the trust' to renew that agreement every 6 months.
if that's not possible then voting no and going back to the negotiating table gives jf summat to think about, and now the pressure is off somewhat, the trust board may well be able to get a better settlement. if we are to give up voting rights and shares then a place on the board should be a minimum. after all i find it difficult to believe that if chapman and elsom are suitable board members the same opportunity should not be given to the trust

A good post.  It does feel like Fenty has been somewhat disingenuous during the negotiations.  Like you say, the selling of Bennett can't have come that much out of the blue.

On another note, the mis-management of the club has been as bad off the pitch as it has on it. A yes vote on this puts the control of the club back into the hands of the man who has been largely responsible for that mis-management.  I posted some time ago, on one of the many Fenty threads, that his reign could never be seen as a success whilst it left the club in hoc to one man and unable to to support iself - something the club has to strive for.

Right now the club does have a cash injection (Bennett) even if it is not yet clear exactly when we will get that money.  We also have a very saleable asset in Hearn.  He is just this, an asset.  If we need to sell him to balance the books then so be it, that is how clubs our size work.  I would take that over putting the club back into the hands of one individual - even if it didn't mean promotion this year.

I know it's too simplistic, but it does feel like Fenty wants to play again now he sees some success on the horizon.

On a final note, I've just joined the Trust, as I for one want a say on this matter as a Town fan, and the Trust have put themselves in a position to have that say.  This is why the Trust exists - to have real say in what happens to the future of the club.  For less than the price of a match ticket you can vote on what happens next.  So whether you agree with the action/motivation/use of the trust I urge you to do it.

BTW, I've just paid £15 and not ten to join.  A piece of opportunism by the Trust?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 259 - 309
31 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › E-Mail from the Trust

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.