arryarryarry
February 23, 2024, 8:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,045
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from pontoonlew

I think if we’re all honest though it’s ridiculous how many shots fly in. Look at the recent hammerings we’ve had.

Grimsby - 14 shots  4 shots on Target, 1 goal / Doncaster 10 shots, 4 shots on target, 5 goals

Grimsby 9 shots 2 shots on target, 1 goal / Stockport 9 shots 4 shots on target, 3 goals

Grimsby 11 shots, 2 shots on target, 1 goal/ Tranmere 5 shots, 2 on target, 2 goals

Grimsby 9 shots, 4 shots on target 1 goal / Walsall 18 Shots 7 shots on target, 6 goals

Only one of those games saw us have less shots yet we’ve been on the wrong end of 3 embarrassing score lines in those games. I looked for them stats and knew what they were likely to say after watching the game because it’s plainly obvious to me we’ve rarely been as bad over 90 mins as the scorelines suggest. There’s absolutely no denying that for Doncaster and Walsall we spent 40 mins absolutely in the game.

Is it confidence, a bad goalkeeper or chronic bad luck? I’m not sure, but Artell is right when he says the data says we shouldn’t be being hammered like that. I’d br surprised if you saw any team ever have 4 games like that and produce similar score lines. There has to be an answer to it, but I can’t have people just shooting down what Artell said in his interview, because the stats show him to be correct and it’s why I’ve still got belief we’ll turn it around in the final 1/3 of the season.

It's because we have some players who couldn't score if their lives depend on it and some excrement defenders.

If you can't see that then may I suggest Specsavers.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 134
Abdul19
February 23, 2024, 8:59pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,566
Gold Stars: 216
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Can anyone remember the last time we won from 2 goals down?

Was it Accrington in 2010?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 134
headingly_mariner
February 23, 2024, 9:07pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,358
Gold Stars: 113
We've got 2 points but the stats say we should've had 9.

I really hope he's right and actually we are class.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 134
moosey_club
February 23, 2024, 9:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,258
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from GrimRob
I think he is confusing cause and effect. The difference between an xG and a goal is the player with the ball. If you look at xG data in nearly any division (you can see the averaged stats for most top leagues on the Fishy) you will find that the top sides score more than their xG and the bottom sides score less.

On the flip side, the top sides concede less than their xGA (expected goals against) and the bottom sides concede more. The cause is the top sides have good players; the bottom sides have bad players. The effect is the xG behaves the way it does. Consequently, if you score less than your xG and concede more than your xGA, it just means that you are a bottom side and don't have very good players. It doesn't mean that you are unlucky, not this deep into the season.

By way of an example. look at this season's La Liga which I pick because there is a very wide gap between the top and the bottom in terms of quality so it's a clearer pattern.

https://www.thefishy.co.uk/leaguetable.php?table=31&tab=tab-xg

Real Madrid have an average xG of 1.87 and score 2.12 goals; their xGA is 0.93 and they concede 0.64. So they have good players! The put away their chances more than they "should" and make "worldie" saves and blocks.

In second place Girona are punching well above their weight. They are exceeding their xG by 0.44. That probably means they have very good strikers.

Barcelona though are scoring less than their expected goals, and are third. Bad season for them.

At the bottom, it's the mirror image. Almeria score -0.35 less than expected as they are not putting away their chances. Almost all the bottom 10 score less than they are expected to.

Look at most divisions and a similar pattern emerges.

Cause not effect.

Absolutely spot on. Furthermore i imagine data and stats would show an individuals xg similarly. ..we all know it as a gut feeling that when player x goes through on goal you  know its going in...player y and you aren't confident at all......trouble is all the info DA gives may be true but if our chances are going to player y then there is no point....you need to identify player x and play to make sure he is the one getting through

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 134
sydney
February 23, 2024, 9:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
Great Post Chaos
Get this Chap Gone
Else we are Gone
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 134
IrishMariner
February 23, 2024, 9:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Abdul19

Was it Accrington in 2010?

We were 3-1 against Barnet and went onto win 4-3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 134
GrimRob
February 23, 2024, 9:23pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,409
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from moosey_club

Absolutely spot on. Furthermore i imagine data and stats would show an individuals xg similarly. ..we all know it as a gut feeling that when player x goes through on goal you  know its going in...player y and you aren't confident at all......trouble is all the info DA gives may be true but if our chances are going to player y then there is no point....you need to identify player x and play to make sure he is the one getting through

Absolutely. To continue with my La Liga example, Girona's success in front of goal seems to be largely down to their No 9 Artem Dovbyk, According to my phone's SofaScore app he has an xG of 11.31 and scored 14. He's also got 5 assists (expected 4.2). I bet he won't be at Girona next season!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 96 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2024, 9:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,714
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from moosey_club

You are right of course and like all data it depends on context. Context is everything. It is so complex and every single event in a football match depends on so many factors to try to distill it and ever come to the right conclusion using data seems ludicrous. Already on this thread people have given various explanations to explain various possible explanations for expected goals, which is far more complex than that simple stat suggests.

As Chaos suggests, the manager and coaches should get their heads out of the spreadsheets and start doing the basics and get the team set up correctly and get the players to have some fight and self respect and stop hiding behind data that can be spun any way you like.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 134
HerveJosse
February 23, 2024, 9:33pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144

You are right of course and like all data it depends on context. Context is everything. It is so complex and every single event in a football match depends on so many factors to try to distill it and ever come to the right conclusion using data seems ludicrous. Already on this thread people have given various explanations to explain various possible explanations for expected goals, which is far more complex than that simple stat suggests.

As Chaos suggests, the manager and coaches should get their heads out of the spreadsheets and start doing the basics and get the team set up correctly and get the players to have some fight and self respect and stop hiding behind data that can be spun any way you like.

It’s not the manager who needs to get his head out of his bottom , he is clutching at any straws he can to keep his job , it’s the owners .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 134
bawarmy
February 23, 2024, 9:35pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,019
Gold Stars: 33
What a load of twaddle. Win games and that’s all there is to it. Data  my backside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.