Marinerdeano
February 23, 2024, 3:22pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from arryarryarry

Erm...........the crowd did get behind the team at the start of the Donny game but before we could get up a chant of Mariners Mariners Mariners we were 2-0 down.

It's now time for the manager and team to really give us something to shout about.

Oh absolutely agree. I'm not disputing that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 134
GrimPol
February 23, 2024, 3:28pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Mariner_501

Bloody hell that’s depressing. I must have lost count. Cheers for the reminder!

They said in the old Navy that after the fourth Cat O Nine Tails lash, the pain couldn't get worse. Maybe its the same thing with you.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 134
arryarryarry
February 23, 2024, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

Well, not exactly.

A better xG should certainly lead to a team scoring more goals (and both Clifton and Green missed sitters in the first half last week), but it's not guaranteed.

Scoring the goals isn't really so much of an issue at present. The problem is the Keystone Kops defending which we're seeing most weeks. I'd bet that the xG for teams who have been playing us this year has been quite high and it's not much to do with how they have been playing.

Artell mentioned something about the two sitters but they came in the same passage of play, if Clifton had scored Green wouldn't have had the chance.
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 134
lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2024, 3:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer

Well, not exactly.

A better xG should certainly lead to a team scoring more goals (and both Clifton and Green missed sitters in the first half last week), but it's not guaranteed.

Scoring the goals isn't really so much of an issue at present. The problem is the Keystone Kops defending which we're seeing most weeks. I'd bet that the xG for teams who have been playing us this year has been quite high and it's not much to do with how they have been playing.

Should, could and maybes. You do realise it has no effect on the actual score? The next game  will be totally different so it won't have any effect on that either.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 134
Mappers
February 23, 2024, 3:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from BrMarin
Did he say anything about Thompson?

Injured

He answered the Alex Hunt question well I thought and explained the rationale behind his decision to let him leave on loan , seems he's a big part of Artell's plans next season .....
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 134
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2024, 3:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Is the “underlying performance” good?

Club interviews are never going to be a challenge are they?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 134
Mappers
February 23, 2024, 3:42pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Is the “underlying performance” good?

Club interviews are never going to be a challenge are they?

The BBC one is better  mate 20 minutes long, I thought he came over the best he has tbf at least gave some explanation on decision making with regards Hunt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 134
Maringer
February 23, 2024, 3:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185

Should, could and maybes. You do realise it has no effect on the actual score? The next game  will be totally different so it won't have any effect on that either.

But, in general, the number of good chances you create (xG), indicates how likely it is that you will score a goal. If you create more good chances, you are likely to score more goals. You surely can't deny that?

It's obviously not the be-all and end-all, but it is important. We've spent years bemoaning the fact that Hurst's teams didn't score enough goals and this would obviously have shown through in xG calculations (if we were looking at them back then).

On the other hand, a capable and well-drilled defence should be able to reduce the xG of the opposing team. If you can accept that it is possible to defend well enough to stop the opposition team having a sniff, surely you can accept that a team can attack well enough to create more goalscoring chances? All that xG does is give an indication that a team is creating good chances and a low xG doesn't mean that the opposition isn't able to whack in a 40-yarder to win a game with their only shot on goal.

I certainly wouldn't be basing all training around increasing xG as Artell has indicated he might actually be doing (!), but it certainly has its uses.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 134
Maringer
February 23, 2024, 3:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from arryarryarry

Artell mentioned something about the two sitters but they came in the same passage of play, if Clifton had scored Green wouldn't have had the chance.

I don't think that's true, is it? Didn't Green hit the ball straight at their keeper who caught it? Clifton's chance was close to that one, but I don't think it was the same passage of play. Can't remember too clearly these days due to memory problems caused by a medical issue, but that's my impression! I don't want to look back at the highlights as it was too depressing the first time around...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.