lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2024, 5:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56

Pretty much as I remember it as well and thought Clifton missed the goal completely but. I was probably too busy cursing to see where his feeble effort ended up.

This point though actually raises a much deeper debate as if either chance is scored whatever occurs afterwards is totally different to what actually happened. The game is restarted at a different point thus every touch which then takes place is different to what actually occurred as everyone is in different positions plays a different pass etc.

One for the theoretical gifted or maybe we need data saying if you score from your first chance rather than miss it how many of the later chances would in reality have been created. Think this supports Lew’s dislike of data as scoring goals may actually reduce your XG whereas missing chances may increase it!,

Anyway given me an headache just typing this eye opening revelation and all because Clifton missed a sitter!!

Exactly - you can interpret it any way you like, to prove any point you like and is ideal for taking the heat out of having been tonked once again on home turf, by saying such and such a stat actually showed we should have had the 3 points, honest 'guv.

If the xg is "very good" but we also ship goals for fun a reasonable conclusion would be the side isn't functioning at all well. But then you conclude if we tighten up at the back we will be fine, but then the chances dry up at the other end because tightening up changes the dynamic of the team which is why we were creating the chances. On and on you go down the rabbit hole of stats trying to make sense of it all, but it's a waste of time anyway because the dynamics of next weeks game is completely different.

Dave Challinor without the use of any data could improve our side overnight by getting the balance of the moving parts right.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 134
arryarryarry
February 23, 2024, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Maringer

I don't think that's true, is it? Didn't Green hit the ball straight at their keeper who caught it? Clifton's chance was close to that one, but I don't think it was the same passage of play. Can't remember too clearly these days due to memory problems caused by a medical issue, but that's my impression! I don't want to look back at the highlights as it was too depressing the first time around...

Yes apologies, it was Green's chance first but the keeper saved it then he and a defender tried to play it out from the back, we intercepted it and put the ball through to Clifton who pushed it wide, all within about 30 seconds I think so effectively if Green had scored Clifton's chance would not have happened so it would never have been 3-2 to us at that point.
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 134
Limerick Mariner
February 23, 2024, 6:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,740
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from arryarryarry

Yes apologies, it was Green's chance first but the keeper saved it then he and a defender tried to play it out from the back, we intercepted it and put the ball through to Clifton who pushed it wide, all within about 30 seconds I think so effectively if Green had scored Clifton's chance would not have happened so it would never have been 3-2 to us at that point.

Green slots it, back at 2-2 Donny then fall apart hit by wave after wave of Crewe 20/21 style Total Football…then DA wakes up a bit moist and sticky, whereas all PH ever dreamt about was winning 1-0 away at Bradford with us rock solid 5-4-1 shape…which wet dream do us fans want our manager to have…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 134
kafunanapar140909
February 23, 2024, 6:04pm

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +575
Gold Stars: 50
I’m obviously in the minority but I thought that was one of DA’s best interviews since he came to the club. As has already been mentioned, he’s hardly going to come out with a rousing rendition of “we’re sh*t and we know we are” – he has to try and motivate this group and get them believing that they’re better than they are. Whether we like it or not, it is this group we’re stuck with until the end of the season and so it’s this group whose responsibility it is to get us out of this mess.

For a man overseeing a remarkably poor sequence of results, imo he seemed calm, gave measured answers and backed up his position pretty well, in the face of some decent questions by Matt Dean.

The explanation around Hunt was very good, and made a good stab at proving that he is able to identify a weakness (xG) and improve it (going from 20th to 11th in the table in that metric). He also started to point to improvements in our defending which was… err… brave, but I thought even that was a pretty good attempt.

Interesting we had a big data meeting with 21st Group this week. I wonder if that was a bit of a “prove that what you’re claiming re improvements is backed up in the data” thing from the board, similar to what Hurst went through before? Annoyingly, we don’t have access to the depth of data that the club does, and so us lot have to slum it with the basics.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 134
arryarryarry
February 23, 2024, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,042
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from kafunanapar140909
I’m obviously in the minority but I thought that was one of DA’s best interviews since he came to the club. As has already been mentioned, he’s hardly going to come out with a rousing rendition of “we’re sh*t and we know we are” – he has to try and motivate this group and get them believing that they’re better than they are. Whether we like it or not, it is this group we’re stuck with until the end of the season and so it’s this group whose responsibility it is to get us out of this mess.

For a man overseeing a remarkably poor sequence of results, imo he seemed calm, gave measured answers and backed up his position pretty well, in the face of some decent questions by Matt Dean.

The explanation around Hunt was very good, and made a good stab at proving that he is able to identify a weakness (xG) and improve it (going from 20th to 11th in the table in that metric). He also started to point to improvements in our defending which was… err… brave, but I thought even that was a pretty good attempt.

Interesting we had a big data meeting with 21st Group this week. I wonder if that was a bit of a “prove that what you’re claiming re improvements is backed up in the data” thing from the board, similar to what Hurst went through before? Annoyingly, we don’t have access to the depth of data that the club does, and so us lot have to slum it with the basics.

I have no idea what xg data is or any other data that is showing we have improved all I see is us getting stuffed most weekends and lying 3rd from bottom of the EFL.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 134
chaos33
February 23, 2024, 6:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
If you can’t  defend and you don’t know what you’re doing and you’re not concentrating and motivated the stats count for f*ck all. That’s what’s going on. We need to face it and change it, starting tomorrow.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 134
Swansea_Mariner
February 23, 2024, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Quoted from arryarryarry

I have no idea what xg data is or any other data that is showing we have improved all I see is us getting stuffed most weekends and lying 3rd from bottom of the EFL.

I mean it's likely utter nonsense but ya know alchemists gotta get paid so there we go we're improving. I guess we'll see if the proofs in the pudding tomorrow, but even if we don't we'll be told that the data says we should have picked up 12 points from 18.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 134
pontoonlew
February 23, 2024, 6:56pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Been another overreaction to the interview but it’s to be expected now.

He’s right in a lot of what he says, but some of needs to actually start coming true instead of being just words.

We probably are creating more chances, we probably are conceding goals we shouldn’t and we probably should’ve picked up more points. However, we keep getting hammered. If the stats are correct, then results SHOULD follow, but it’s a very precarious position he finds himself in right now.

What doesn’t help though is fans ripping it to bits every week for the sake of it. If we pick up points away from home tomorrow, part of our disasterous home performances (for 2 seasons) might be able to be explained quite well…
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 134
jamesgtfc
February 23, 2024, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
The fact Doncaster scored 5, despite their xG being less than 0.5 last week tells you everything you need to know about us and that metric. Stop overcomplicating it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 134
grimsby pete
February 23, 2024, 7:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I really want DA to do well but he is doing my head with all his waffle.

I don't know how we managed years ago before all this data was used.

Yes we were the better side but lost 5-1 ?????

Or we are the better side but lost 6-1  .  Morecambe were the better side by miles the other night but lost 3-0.

Well I hoped we are rubbish tomorrow and Morecambe play really well.

Then we will come away with 3 points  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.