lew chaterleys lover
February 23, 2024, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,757
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Maringer

But, in general, the number of good chances you create (xG), indicates how likely it is that you will score a goal. If you create more good chances, you are likely to score more goals. You surely can't deny that?

It's obviously not the be-all and end-all, but it is important. We've spent years bemoaning the fact that Hurst's teams didn't score enough goals and this would obviously have shown through in xG calculations (if we were looking at them back then).

On the other hand, a capable and well-drilled defence should be able to reduce the xG of the opposing team. If you can accept that it is possible to defend well enough to stop the opposition team having a sniff, surely you can accept that a team can attack well enough to create more goalscoring chances? All that xG does is give an indication that a team is creating good chances and a low xG doesn't mean that the opposition isn't able to whack in a 40-yarder to win a game with their only shot on goal.

I certainly wouldn't be basing all training around increasing xG as Artell has indicated he might actually be doing (!), but it certainly has its uses.

It's all nonsense. As Grim Rob pointed out earlier the ability to create or defend goals is largely dependent on the state of the individual game. Had Stockport not taken their foot off the pedal all the stats for that game would be different. All it is an in depth statistical review of what's happened, but it has no  bearing on what happens next.
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 134
GrimRob
February 23, 2024, 4:01pm

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,448
Gold Stars: 114
Quoted from arryarryarry

Artell mentioned something about the two sitters but they came in the same passage of play, if Clifton had scored Green wouldn't have had the chance.

Another reason why xG is a misleading metric.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 51 - 134
grassbandits
February 23, 2024, 4:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +123
Gold Stars: 5
I'm not sure how much I'd be pleased our XG has improved if it means we're shipping buckets at the same time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 134
Swansea_Mariner
February 23, 2024, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,468
Gold Stars: 63
Cognitive disonnense,  we were battered by Doncaster but we were by far the better side. Ok we get it and start smiling again.

Maybe eyeballs are faulty and the data is right, I feel like I've entered a parallel universe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 134
DB
February 23, 2024, 4:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391
I thought his first interview was a case of bullish!t baffles brains, particularly when he talked of losing by fine margins ( now where I have I heard that before? ). Apparently, we have been losing by fine margins 6 -1, 5 - 1 etc. and we beat Morecambe at home by a fine margin of 3 - 2. He makes a ridiculous example of fine margins and where did he get that we should have gone in 4 - 2 up at halftime against Donny? Bloody hell it was a peno we scored and nothing from open play.

Matt Dean's interview was only slightly better as he did explain the Hunt situation. Let's hope that tomorrow's game is better considering both he and Shaun watched the Walsall game.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 134
HertsGTFC
February 23, 2024, 4:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Caught them both now and actually to be fair to Artell I think the rationale behind Hunt makes sense, though I'd be concerned if we picked up a couple of MF injuries.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 134
Lincoln Mariner 56
February 23, 2024, 4:47pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from Maringer

I don't think that's true, is it? Didn't Green hit the ball straight at their keeper who caught it? Clifton's chance was close to that one, but I don't think it was the same passage of play. Can't remember too clearly these days due to memory problems caused by a medical issue, but that's my impression! I don't want to look back at the highlights as it was too depressing the first time around...

Pretty much as I remember it as well and thought Clifton missed the goal completely but. I was probably too busy cursing to see where his feeble effort ended up.

This point though actually raises a much deeper debate as if either chance is scored whatever occurs afterwards is totally different to what actually happened. The game is restarted at a different point thus every touch which then takes place is different to what actually occurred as everyone is in different positions plays a different pass etc.

One for the theoretical gifted or maybe we need data saying if you score from your first chance rather than miss it how many of the later chances would in reality have been created. Think this supports Lew’s dislike of data as scoring goals may actually reduce your XG whereas missing chances may increase it!,

Anyway given me an headache just typing this eye opening revelation and all because Clifton missed a sitter!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 134
Yoda
February 23, 2024, 4:57pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
I have watched a few old youtube videos of DA and he doesn’t come across well at all how he interviewed well for us i don’t know. I think he looks a floundering baffoon surely they must of interviewed some other candidates or did they.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 134
BrMarin
February 23, 2024, 5:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from Yoda
I have watched a few old youtube videos of DA and he doesn’t come across well at all how he interviewed well for us i don’t know. I think he looks a floundering baffoon surely they must of interviewed some other candidates or did they.

I'd love to know who was interviewed 🙂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 134
Mappers
February 23, 2024, 5:26pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,453
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from BrMarin

I'd love to know who was interviewed 🙂

Steve Morrison who isn't doing particularly well at Sutton

Talks with The Cowleys (confirmed by them) but not sure if that was official or just informal .

Don't know any others
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Pre Match Interview

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.